September 20, 2024, 06:35:56 AM

Author Topic: Rob Deleo Ranked in Top Ten WORST bassists of all time!  (Read 22304 times)

Shannon

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • I knew the questions but I lost the answers...
    • View Profile
Rob Deleo Ranked in Top Ten WORST bassists of all time!
« on: May 07, 2010, 05:42:21 AM »
???  ??? Sorry, I just ran across this recently written article and cant even stand it.

http://http://www.zeitgeistyreport.com/the-lists/2010/04/10/top-10-best-and-worst-bass-players-in-rock-roll/comment-page-1/#comment-7707

WORST BASSISTS OF ALL TIME
Robert DeLeo (Stone Temple Pilots)

I’ve never heard a bass part by this guy that wasn’t absolutely rudimentary and lazy.  Everything about the guy’s approach to the bass seems to say, “Hmm, let’s see…what’s the fewest notes I can possibly play and still get paid.”  Having said this, Robert is actually one of rock’s cool guys.  Plus, anyone whose paycheck is reliant upon Scott Weiland actually showing up and not being a total junked-out, track-marked mess has my deepest sympathies.

Rudimentary and Lazy. seriously? and later in the comments section, he tries to say that STP as a WHOLE has some of the most boring rhythm's of any band, and tries to compare them to GNR?

I just posted a comment on his list, but didnt realize they have to go through moderation, so im not sure itll show up. If it doesnt, here is what i said:

Hey buddy, while your sitting over there drooling about how crazy fast and electric GNRs rhythm is, Get a freaking clue about something:

STP’ is NOT GNR. Try and wrap your head around it. Most of STP’s songs, excluding the first album, are more soft and melodic, and are not actually about trying to rock out like crazy. Listen to Shangri. Listen to No4. Listen to Tiny Music. Escaping the singles, almost EVERY song is more laid back and alternative. I’m not saying Rob’s one of the best bassists of all time. But hell, one of the WORST? His band isnt even built around the ego-centric rock-as-hard-as-you-can music that you seem to have your head wrapped around. Sometimes a repetitive, uplifting riff is what MAKES a song relaxing and enjoyable. Opposed to making it awkward and fast paced.

You say you were around in the 90s when STP was everywhere. Well it sounds like you might have been, but you were on your ass listening to the singles on the radio. actually LISTEN to the bands you decide to criticize blindly.

If any of you want to, feel free to jump in as well.

I hate stupid tools that find a way to use the internet.
Favorite STP songs at the moment: Hazey Daze, Fast as I Can, I Got You, Pruno

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Re: Rob Deleo Ranked in Top Ten WORST bassists of all time!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 05:50:33 AM »
Hahaha. Wow. What a terrible article. That guy is a moron.
Bleeda blooda

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:01:34 AM »
I am a bass player ... Rob DeLeo is a god ... enough said.
I got a picture of a photograph ...

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 07:11:26 AM »
Quote from: "Silvergun Batman"
I am a bass player ... Rob DeLeo is a god ... enough said.

Double dat!!!!!!! :)

TLee05

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 07:36:47 AM »
I was going to retort, but that site doesn't really seem worth it.  It seems like the article was written by an opinionated attention whore.  Also notice how the author and one of the site moderators are circle jerking each other in the comments section.  Best to let them fade away into obscurity.

thefrontman55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 07:48:52 AM »
Wow.... anyone who has ever listened to STP should know precisely how awesome Rob Deleo is. I've never met a bass player whose said Rob Deleo sucks. I'd say a good 50% of those bass players think Robert is quite an accomplished bass player. i mean what have we've always said about this band. They are melody masters. Their songs never follow a straight route. The Bass, Vocals, and Guitars are almost never quite follow the same melody and Rob always has killer bass hooks. Seriously, i mean come on, but then again this guy also seems to be stupid enough to say that Geddy Lee is one of the worst  bass players of all time.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:50:59 AM »
Quote from: "TLee05"
I was going to retort, but that site doesn't really seem worth it.  It seems like the article was written by an opinionated attention whore.  Also notice how the author and one of the site moderators are circle jerking each other in the comments section.  Best to let them fade away into obscurity.

Agreed.

I attribute much of STP's sound and success to Robert Deleo's basslines, moreso than I do with the basslines for most rock groups. The author of that post thinks that he plays too few notes, but the fact is that Robert is smart -- he gives the song exactly what it needs, because he understands it's not all about him. Songs like Vasoline, Sin, and Down -- all they need is the root of the chord or riff held down; anything busier would only distract the listener and be unfitting for the song. Other songs allow him to get more creative, like Church on Tuesday, Hello it's Late (and most of Shangri for that matter), and my personal favorite STP bassline, ILS.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 08:45:01 AM »
I'd like to see any other bassist's take on the chorus of Trippin'. Robert crams so many notes in there.
Bleeda blooda

Vanilla Shake

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Ava Adore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 09:18:32 AM »
This is absolute blasphemy. He is a bassist god, just like how his brother is a guitar god. He's in my top 3 favorite bassists of all time, which includes Roger Waters from Pink Floyd (just listen to the bass lines on "Money",  "Sheep" and "One of These Days") and Mike Dirnt from Green Day (the bass line on "Longview" may not be that difficult, but god damn is it tasty - and yeah, I know he performs for a bit of a heavier, faster paced punk band, but you can still hear his work on each song perfectly).

Meh, let the critics think what they want to think. At the end of the day we're lucky enough to have a great bass player in Rob, who helps provide us with the eargasms we have when we listen to STP. Stuff like this is why I tend to disregard what other people think when it comes to music or films or anything of the sort.

Still, I'd like to see the guy who made that list attempt to play "And So I Know" on the bass.
I'm looking for a new meditation, still looking for a new way to fly. Don't want any plastic validation, not looking for a new way to die.

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 09:20:26 AM »
I like how the "critic" still thinks Scott is addicted to heroin

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 09:30:17 AM »
Not only is he a great bassist, just think of the great songs he's written.

Amazing player, amazing songwriter.
Bleeda blooda

Eijoo

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 10:02:46 AM »
obviously, the guy/apeshit who wrote that article have no idea that rob is the brains behind sTp :o
Songs are emotions in sonic form and I had a lot of emotions at the time. And each of those emotions inspires its own sound."- Scott Weiland on recording "12 Bar Blues" album

shambhala

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 12:37:42 PM »
that's BS - I always turn up the bass on STP songs because it sounds wicked and it takes me away!

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 01:44:48 PM »
Having read this ridiculously uninformed opinon, I can see no reason at all to even visit the site or read the rest of it.

What an absolute fucking dickhead  :D

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 01:52:55 PM »
Again, I've said this a zillion times ... Robert DeLeo is hands down THE best rock bass player of the past 20 years ...

I say we find the author of this piece, tie him up with a bunch of E bass strings & make him listen to the Black Eyed Peas on a non-stop rotation.
I got a picture of a photograph ...