September 20, 2024, 08:31:15 AM

Author Topic: Rob Deleo Ranked in Top Ten WORST bassists of all time!  (Read 22308 times)

Unglued

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Rob Deleo Ranked in Top Ten WORST bassists of all time!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 01:55:32 PM »
That was one of the biggest pieces of crap I have ever read.  
Seriously, how many times is the bass so good that people listen to the bass line in a song?  Example... a lot of times when I am listening to Trippin' on a.. I inadvertently tune out everything but the bass line.. seriously the chorus is just sick.  Not just being and STP fan, he is truly one of the most gifted players I have ever heard.  Period.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 02:31:16 PM »
You should just link the Rolling Rock performance of Rob on Trippn' and that should shut him up.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 03:18:38 PM »
I guess this guy doesn't realize that it's no longer the early 90's and it's not trendy to blindly bash STP  ::) .

This is a bit ironic, becuase I just had a conversation with my sister about Robert arguably being one of the best bassists in rock history.  I understand that it's mostly a matter of opinion, but there are certain aspects that you can quantify and compare.  This assclown ignored all of those.  Robert's basslines dance all over the place and really add to the flavor of a song.  Also, look at his live performing abilities- and not just his playing.  He does well as a backup singer, and his dances and movments on stage are stellar.  Most other bassists I see just stand stationairy on stage.  Rob is a true showman.  And finally, as others have already pointed out, consider Rob's songwriting.  He's not just a bassist for hire, he's a talented musician.  He's written some of STP's biggest hits, and is the driving musical force of STP.
Sin make me strong.

Sledgehammers of Truth

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 03:25:55 PM »
Besides what he said about Robert, he has no credibility for also bashing Colin Greenwood and GEDDY LEE!  He also ommitted a huge number of great bassists from his top 10 best, namely James Jamerson.

As a bass player myself, his list is pretty far off the mark.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 03:31:04 PM »
The dude lists Geddy Lee as a top 10 worst bass players of all time. Enough said. Clearly he doesn't have a clue. His opinion from there should be flushed down the toilet.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 04:08:07 PM »
Quote from: "JugeSTP"
The dude lists Geddy Lee as a top 10 worst bass players of all time. Enough said. Clearly he doesn't have a clue. His opinion from there should be flushed down the toilet.
i was thinking the same thing. that guy has no idea what he's talking about
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
I really hate Geddy Lee's voice, but anyone who could claim him to be a poor bassist needs their genitals removing and shoving down their throat.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 04:27:51 PM »
Quote from: "Pingfah"
I really hate Geddy Lee's voice, but anyone who could claim him to be a poor bassist needs their genitals removing and shoving down their throat.

I'm a big Rush fan, and I like Geddy's voice, but a lot of people feel the same way as you and can't stand his vocals. Still, the fact that this guy used what he perceives as bad vocals to fuel his argument that Geddy is one of the worst bass players of all time is a completely invalid and unsound argument. Vocals have nothing to do with playing ability. Like you said, even if you don't like his voice no one can deny his talent on bass as legendary. Ask any musician and bass player out there. Geddy has mad respect from anyone that's a music connaisseur in any circle. The guy is a pioneer of bass playing. To call him top 10 worst bass players of all time is like saying Larry Bird is one of the 10 worst shooters in NBA history.

Pruno315

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 05:12:14 PM »
Quote from: "Pingfah"

See I always thought Geddy Lee's voice was like that because his genitals were removed.  Thank you, thank you.  I'll be here all week.  Remember to tip your waitress.

I had never seen video of Rush growing up and I always assumed that Geddy was a woman.  I think I was 17 when I found out that he wasn't.

Regarding the article, the guy is an idiot.  You can take your shots at Weiland for his behavior and the occasionally stupid lyric.  I think Kretz is fine, but I've heard others differ on him.  I don't know enough about drumming to argue.  But questioning the skills of either DeLeo is just asinine.

Sunday Shoes

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 05:27:52 PM »
Unbelievable!

Rob DeLeo wrote Interstate Love Song for one thing.  Not to mention that he is one of the most versatile musicians of all time.
Stone Temple Pilots:  The last rock and roll band.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 05:30:26 PM »
Quote from: "Pruno315"
I think Kretz is fine, but I've heard others differ on him.

Disagree, I think Eric is actually a pretty nasty drummer in his own right. Like Dean on guitar, he may not be the most flashy or technical drummer... but he just knows his place in a song and plays it to perfection. Eric has the kind of raw and intentional feel that you can't teach.

That said, if you asked me which musician in the band was most proficient at his instrument, I'd vote for Robert... and trust me Dean/Eric are no slouches.

LedZep924

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 05:37:59 PM »
I play guitar. I'm great at it, acoustic and electric. I respect music as paramount in life.

I won't ever be a bass player because of people like Rob Deleo. I can't compete, even as a musician in general.

He's the most underrated bass player, as well as musician, in contemporary popular rock. Listen to the chorus for Big Empty. The run of notes he plays could be played in a symphony. Listen to Plush's verse's with his harmonic playing under Dean's work.

And these are just two examples.

It's a shame a blogger like his gets paid/acknowledged for his opinion.

The music today is so sad, worse than the economy in comparison.

I love ya Rob. Your band(s) is/are great. Never stop making music for the world to hear.

Sincerely,

Matty G

http://www.myspace.com/envymusick

Pruno315

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 06:50:38 PM »
Disagree, I think Eric is actually a pretty nasty drummer in his own right. Like Dean on guitar, he may not be the most flashy or technical drummer

Like I said, I know nothing of drums, but he seems fine to me.  I think he sounds great on songs like Lounge Fly and Army Ants to name a few.  With drummers, all I know is that if I find myself drumming on my steering wheel, then I think they're doing a good job.  I'm drummed many times to the works of Mr. Kretz.

Driving in my car is what made me appreciate Robert.  My high school car had crappy wiring on the speakers, so sometimes I only got the bass and not the guitar.  The songs were still good.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 07:38:06 PM »
The worst here is there's no Robert pic, sorry, I can't accept that....

Seriously, seriously? ::)
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 08:11:06 PM »
Even if I wasn't an STP fan, I'd still be able to realize how great of a musician Robert is. He wrote "Plush" and "Interstate..." to name a few and is just nasty on bass. And as a musician (drummer/guitar player) myself, I can honestly say that both Rob and Kretz are amazing at what they do. While Kretz doesn't play the most complicated beats, you've gotta respect him for holding back and playing what fits the song.