September 20, 2024, 09:33:58 PM

Author Topic: Take A Load Off  (Read 91428 times)

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Take A Load Off next single
« Reply #585 on: August 15, 2010, 08:20:51 PM »
I like TALO, but I think it is more of an album track, or a B-side, as opposed to a single.  I think it sounds a bit similar to Wicked Garden, which is already a single.   TALO is even one of the songs I will skip sometimes, as in I don't listen to it EVERY time I listen to the album.  I think Hickory Dichotomy, Cinnamon, or Fast As I Can would make great singles.   

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #586 on: August 15, 2010, 11:05:51 PM »
After reading eeevery single comment on the topic, i got this conclusion: Im from venezuela and radio stations dont play real music..radio here sucks.. but i can see the radio stations there are attached to the old hits from stp. But... isnt stp doing the same? i mean, they dont play shows skipping plush, sex type thing, wicked garden, crackerman, big empty, vasoline, ILS.....
They gotta make a setlist with ONLY new songs... (except plush:D)
songs from SLDD, no.4 and some of tiny music.. maybe this could help the radio playing problem!
gotta be this way, or then make really long setlist from the old songs and lots of the new album and SLDD,no.4, tiny music....
Seems like you left me when you broke down

Layne&Wasp

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 16, 2010, 12:46:11 AM »
The song has become stagnant again on the fmqb playlists. It isn't dropping dramatically in the active rock listings, but it also isn't gaining any plays. It has dropped down on the alternative playlist so far this weekend though. It appears to have peaked and will begin to fall soon. All in all, it has been a disappointing single. What can the band expect though? They didn't lift a finger to support it. I don't know what disappoints me more, the failure of the song on the radio (it is a great song) or the lack of effort from the band to assist it. Why take 6 years off, make a record, then release a single from it without any support. That made no sense at all.

This was the type of song that would have appeased the Core oriented audience if it could have reached them. Cinnamon will hopefully introduce STP to a younger "record buying" audience, but it appears TALO has been a failure in more ways then one. Damn shame because I love that damn song.

I agree 100% with everything you posted.  Honestly though, Cinnamon is exactly what old schooler STPer's hate about SLDD and parts of self titled.  Days of the Week failed commercially and Cinnamon is Days of the Week only 10 years later.  If it succeeds I will happily eat crow.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 16, 2010, 03:12:19 AM »
Take a Load off is doing great here with no promotion at all (and I'm at the other tip of the world). I don't listen to radio and I doubt they occasionally play it BUT in Saturday's ranking (people choices) TALO is 10th. With no promotion of any kind, without being one of the best sold albums here and WITH NO TOURING. They HAVE to come, and it has to be SOON :P
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 16, 2010, 02:16:58 PM »
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but Heaven & Hotrods was also released without much support (no video and it wasn’t played live much until recently – although I believe Scott may have been in Jail when it was released).  I assume this was just released to give the radio stations something new to play while the band took a break from touring.  I expect much more promotion and support for Cinnamon.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 16, 2010, 10:23:07 PM »
Wouldve like to hear TALO, think it would be killer llive.  Not sure how Scott woudl handle it though, probably why its not being played live.

Radio does suck, and not just cuz they not playing much of the new STP its just so boring.  Rock radio has turned into TOP40 radio, playing the same tunes 18 times a day.

down

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 18, 2010, 06:52:16 AM »
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but Heaven & Hotrods was also released without much support (no video a

I remember hearing it on the radio. At one point, i thought imagined it, but you can find the radio promos for it on ebay.

It compelled me to buy No.4

All that first class jet-set brings me down, down down,
All that first class drug shit brings me down...

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 18, 2010, 07:24:22 AM »
I've rested all my hope on cinnamon now.  Seeing as theyre going to put a video out in support of it!  Hopefully Take a Load Off sticks around the radio getting the occasional spin seeing as its a good song.  I really hope Cinnamon takes off though!
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 18, 2010, 10:10:13 PM »
I never heard H&H on the radio back in the day .. heard TALO today from start to finish, was a very nice suprise.

Still dont get why the tune hasnt gotten more plays, is it not 90s sounding enough?  Its not in STP top25 songs but on radio its better that alot of what out there.

Shit, listeing to radio ever since the new STP cd came out I cant believe how much 90's music is played, specifically 91-94, 

therealcaptain40

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 19, 2010, 02:24:05 AM »
I listen to the radio almost daily here in Las Vegas, NV and I still have not heard 'Take A Hairy Dump.' Sorry, i just like making fun of that title. I'm actually disappointed that the fans voted the song to be the second single even though there were better choices in the poll. 'FKOM' would've been a great choice too with 'Maver' being the 3rd or 4th. I remember when the fans had an influence on 'No Way Out' being released and look at what happened to that song.

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 19, 2010, 02:40:01 AM »
I never heard H&H on the radio back in the day .. heard TALO today from start to finish, was a very nice suprise.

Still dont get why the tune hasnt gotten more plays, is it not 90s sounding enough?  Its not in STP top25 songs but on radio its better that alot of what out there.

Shit, listeing to radio ever since the new STP cd came out I cant believe how much 90's music is played, specifically 91-94, 

Not enough good music nowadays.  They gotta go back and play some old tunes.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 19, 2010, 05:49:55 AM »
Well, now that we know the reason why this one isn't being played live, it makes me wonder why the boys picked this as a single when they weren't sure if Scott could deliver vocally. Regardless, I think "Cinnamon" has crossover potential. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 19, 2010, 05:57:52 AM »
I think the fans picked it.  There was a vote on the website, and this one was chosen.  But it does beg the question, why was it one of the nominees?
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

cheapsurprise

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 19, 2010, 06:28:10 AM »
Had TALO been promoted properly it would have easily made the top 5. When you don't produce a video, don't play it on any late night talk shows, don't talk about it in the press, and don't play it live, what the hell do you expect? The fact that it got to 24 on the charts is a miracle.

I believe that Hickory Dichotomy was originally slated to become the second single from the album, until it went over like a lead balloon on Jimmy Kimmel. It was only a week after that that TALO was released, and I really feel like that was a move out of desperation. Why else would you pick something that Scott can't even sing outside of a studio? They needed to put a single out, it had to be a rocker, and that meant Take a Load Off or Hazy Daze.

As for Cinnamon, it does have major crossover potential if it is promoted and handled properly. If a video is produced to COINCIDE with the release of the single, and it is played on a couple of late night shows, I believe it will be a very successful song and could even make the Billboard Hot 100 like Sour Girl did 10 years ago. Time will tell.

cheapsurprise

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 22, 2010, 08:13:30 AM »
Well I'm pretty happy to say we've got a pretty good radio station in Virgin Radio here in Ottawa. I heard Take a Load Off three times on the radio today, Between the Lines twice, and Big Empty as well. Nice to hear lol.