September 20, 2024, 05:37:44 PM

Author Topic: Take A Load Off  (Read 91414 times)

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
Re: Take A Load Off next single
« Reply #510 on: July 19, 2010, 07:28:09 PM »
honestly this may be a stretch and some of you may not agree but first kiss on mars could be the next use somebody maybe? it would've been a great summer single. maybe next summer? maybe the whole album process will be done by then already i don't know.

That song sounds like it should've been on Happy in Galoshes rather than an STP album. It's a catchy song, but I swear that STP didn't write it and instead that it's a holdover from the 2nd solo album.

On another note Maver is unbelievably catchy. I don't think it has any radio legs at all whatsoever, but it's a great, great song.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

stp080808

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 20, 2010, 02:06:59 AM »
I think the promotion of this album has been first rate.  Cover of Spin, Cover of Billboard.  VH1 special.  Guitar Hero.  Deluxe Editions of Album.  Lots of radio play.  Songs on TV shows, ESPN, ect.  Back to back nights on Kimmel as the album dropped.  Can't say the label didn't push it.  Too bad it didn't get much traction.

The initial promotion was great, but it totally fell off when they headed to Europe.  Now with the US tour starting, its definitely time to step it up again...
08-03-00 Spectrum
05-31-08 PNC  08-08-08 Musikfest
8-31-10  Mohegan Sun 09-03-10  The Borgata 09-05-10  PNC
08-14-11 Musikfest

kravdog

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 20, 2010, 03:24:47 AM »
Snippet of song was played on HBO's Entourage last night.

Looked at the wife and she just said, "yes, it's hickory dichotomy"

Gotta love her...

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 21, 2010, 03:11:07 PM »
Well TALO is actually begining to drop a little on the FMQB daily playlists. It climbed to 26 on the active rock chart and in the past 2 days it has dropped 3 spots and its play has been decreasing. It is currently resting at #29. This sucks. I don't get why this single didn't have a bigger impact. The band was coming off a big #1 hit and you would assume that radio would treat this single with more respect. All I can hope is that it gets a second wind when STP hit the road. It desperately needs to be played on Leno for recognition sake. Call your local stations and request it folks.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #514 on: July 21, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »
You guys are nuts.  "Fast As I Can" is the instant favorite for everyone I play the album for.  I hear them humming the chorus and they mention it's their favorite.  It would be a huge rock radio hit.

I don't think it's a bad track. I just don't think it's nothing really special either. The lyrics lack compared to Huckleberry and Hickory. The hooks are not memorable. The drumming is actually my favorite part of the song. I think it suffers from the 'It's the fastest track on the record syndrome, so it has to be one of the best and it must be released as a single!' Plus, I just think it got SO OVER HYPED when someone heard it on ESPN, and everyone jumped on the FAIC train like it was going out of style. I'm not saying it couldn't work. I'm just saying it wouldn't make a dent in sales, nor would it make me run to the record store to get the album.

I'm in the same boat as you. It's a good song, but there are way better choices on the album. I've been listening to Huckleberry Crumble a lot, and I think it would do really well as a single. It's like a throwback song that will bring back memories in people they didn't know they had.

I've been in love with Huckleberry since day one. Yeah, it sounds like Aerosmith's 'Same Old Song and Dance,' but I think it's more of an ode to that classic rock sound with a modern flare to it. Just the opening riff alone is money.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 21, 2010, 04:19:02 PM »
it has been said a lot of times but I think FIRST KISS ON MARS WOULD BE A KILLER SINGLE!

THIS
+1  One of my favorite songs

+2
Second favorite of the new album behind Huckleberry.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 21, 2010, 04:24:27 PM »
honestly this may be a stretch and some of you may not agree but first kiss on mars could be the next use somebody maybe? it would've been a great summer single. maybe next summer? maybe the whole album process will be done by then already i don't know.

That song sounds like it should've been on Happy in Galoshes rather than an STP album. It's a catchy song, but I swear that STP didn't write it and instead that it's a holdover from the 2nd solo album.

Well, the Bowie influence can definitely make one assume it could be a possible leftover from the Happy sessions.

As far the 'Use Somebody' analogy goes, I think FKFM would make a great summer single. However, I do think it's a little late in the game for that to happen. Who knows though. Sour Girl took off and gave No. 4 new life. Perhaps FKFM would do the same if it's released next year.

emerick55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 21, 2010, 06:02:27 PM »
I think a lot of people are missing it... Huckleberry should definitely be the next single.  Yeah, Fast As, Cinnamon, and First Kiss are all good songs, but they are just too clean and not going to get a lot of people excited.. Hickory is a good song too, but too strange for a lot of people's tastes, and it takes a few listens to get into it.  Huckleberry, though, is crazy, great hook line, some classic guitar riffs, and wild lyrics.  Think it's the best choice, the other ones are too safe of choices, and they may get a bit of airplay, but I don't feel they have the potential to make a big impact - Huckleberry does... my 2 cents.

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 21, 2010, 07:02:46 PM »
I think if most people here spent half the time requesting STP's current single as they do discussing a possible third single, they would be much more productive. If TALO drops out, there might not be another single.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 21, 2010, 09:28:27 PM »
I think if most people here spent half the time requesting STP's current single as they do discussing a possible third single, they would be much more productive. If TALO drops out, there might not be another single.
I've spent a lot of money texting the radio, voting for TALO. Two texts per day hahaha didn't get it last week, let's see next Saturday :P
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 21, 2010, 09:31:58 PM »
Certain stations do E-requests. You just check the song and put in your name and send the form. Try it here to help STP in Detroit.
 Just check TALO
http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/7/stationplaylistrequest.asp?format=XX&OB=2

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 23, 2010, 07:07:07 PM »
I really hope they play this next week on Leno. I also hope the song translates well live and sounds tight. This song has climbed pretty well without any support at all. STP has never performed this tune and it's had decent success. Hopefully, it's time to get serious and push this song into the top 10.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 23, 2010, 10:00:38 PM »
I really hope they play this next week on Leno. I also hope the song translates well live and sounds tight. This song has climbed pretty well without any support at all. STP has never performed this tune and it's had decent success. Hopefully, it's time to get serious and push this song into the top 10.
+1
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Layne&Wasp

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 24, 2010, 12:44:38 AM »
Its getting good airplay on Minnesota's 2 biggest rock stations.  This song has legs.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 24, 2010, 01:09:12 AM »
Interesting to see its getting played in some US cities and being ignored in others, hopefully the others are just slow to catch on.