September 20, 2024, 03:32:09 AM

Author Topic: Take A Load Off  (Read 91276 times)

guvnagrover

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Weird sound in Take a Load off
« Reply #285 on: June 08, 2010, 11:48:35 PM »
I first noticed it when it was streamed.  Thought maybe it was something to do with that, but then I listened to my CD and heard it.  Strange, but no biggie.  Can't wait to hear this tune live.
"Skin is smooth I steal a glance...Dragon flies 'er' gliding over"

"Cause she could play the six string, Better than those macho pendejos...Oh Maver..."

rockdude_unglued519

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Official Press Release for Tour / Next Single
« Reply #286 on: June 09, 2010, 01:12:59 AM »
I think talo is a good choice,however I'm pulling hard for fast as I can, like many on here. The great thing for the band/label about this album is that almost every song on the album would be at the least a solid single

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 09, 2010, 01:21:43 AM »
As for someone mentioned their "rookie mistake" in production...remember the guys sans Scott produced "Talk Show" granted Brendan was present. Also the Deleos produced Alien Ant Farm's TruANT, which I thought had a lot of STP nuances in it's production.

I am aware that this isnt the first CD that the Deleo's produced, but that doesnt mean they aren't still rookies.  Of course it doesnt mean they are either.  Just my opinion considering what I know about that sound to this point.  Since you invoked Brendan's name, compare his body of work to theirs... much longer.  I just dont think that is something Brendan would have let slide. 

Even if the noise in question isnt compression, in my opinion someone should have caught the clear dissonance occurring there.  I heard it the first time. 

Like I said though, I still love the song, its one of my favorites, I just wish this "noise" wasnt there.  I personally have a difficult time not being distracted by it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 01:23:51 AM by Aaron »

rockdude_unglued519

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 09, 2010, 01:38:04 AM »
I don't know how it sounds on what everyone else is listening to this on so I'm not judging, but I have a pretty good ear for music and I can't understand at all why everyone is up in arms over the chimes, even suggesting it be removed for the radio version. Chimes sounded great on S n' V. I don't know I guess this is the reality of STP's full on return, ya know nit-picking every little move they make from Scott's performance to the Deleo's production, I don't know maybe next someone will hate on Eric if they find out he got the wrong kind of cake for his B-day the other day.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 09, 2010, 01:48:36 AM »
I don't know how it sounds on what everyone else is listening to this on so I'm not judging, but I have a pretty good ear for music and I can't understand at all why everyone is up in arms over the chimes, even suggesting it be removed for the radio version. Chimes sounded great on S n' V. I don't know I guess this is the reality of STP's full on return, ya know nit-picking every little move they make from Scott's performance to the Deleo's production, I don't know maybe next someone will hate on Eric if they find out he got the wrong kind of cake for his B-day the other day.

Unless you're listening to the song on a good system, which the majority of listeners probably aren't, the chimes sound like little more than distortion.

It adds nothing to the song, and it's going to sound even worse when it's played through the radio because radio stations never come in entirely clear.

This song ISN'T Sex & Violence, and the chimes don't sound the same on it. Those chimes are distinguishable as chimes, on Take A Load Off it's just noise.
Bleeda blooda

born2boogie

• *Happy Dancer*
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Keep Smiling ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Weiland Fans Online
« Reply #290 on: June 09, 2010, 02:02:42 AM »
Sometimes songs just do that.. on VR “Last Fight” Slash's guitar work reminded me of a ice-cream truck even tho I love that song and Slash there will always be that in the back of my mind lol 

do you want a flake with that.. heehee  :)

Why surrender this way I feel so raped just like an open book that no one wants to read. Don't turn away.. :'(

rockdude_unglued519

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 09, 2010, 02:12:10 AM »
I agree that the chime sound on this and sex and violence are very different and obviously that talo and s n' v are NOT the same song. However I completly disagree that it adds nothing to the song and is nothing more than noise. That's part of the beauty of music I guess to each their own.

Eighth Caged Tiger

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Official Press Release for Tour / Next Single
« Reply #292 on: June 09, 2010, 05:03:38 AM »
They really should a little on down the line release Maver as both a rock and a country single, ala "Picture" by Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow.  I think that song has large potential as a crossover.

Whazup

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 09, 2010, 06:08:06 AM »
hmm I like the chime sound actually

It's trippy.  But at the same time, I can see why some people may not like it

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 09, 2010, 06:38:48 AM »
Yup love the extra guitar-addition-sound :D This is the best thing about STP, d weird layers stand out after many listens! :D

silvergunsuperboy

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 09, 2010, 08:06:47 AM »

Unless you're listening to the song on a good system, which the majority   of listeners probably aren't, the chimes sound like little more than   distortion.

It adds nothing to the song, and it's going to sound even worse when   it's played through the radio because radio stations never come in   entirely clear.

This song ISN'T Sex & Violence, and the chimes don't sound the same   on it. Those chimes are distinguishable as chimes, on Take A Load Off   it's just noise.

uh hem.haha its a rain stick not chimes. "not to nit pick" but i am listening to it straight from the disc on a "good" system and tried 3 pairs of headphones. the dissonance or enharmonicity is basically from the tone of the rain stick against the ride not distortion.it does add alot to the song whether you're listening to it on an ipod or a "ghetto" blaster.maybe you should just go back to listening to "plush" on your supposed "good" system.while us fans,which is the majority of us, actually listen to the music through whatever we could find.its what you listen to not what you listen through.sorry dude but really?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:21:31 AM by silvergunsuperboy »

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 09, 2010, 08:56:54 AM »

Unless you're listening to the song on a good system, which the majority   of listeners probably aren't, the chimes sound like little more than   distortion.

It adds nothing to the song, and it's going to sound even worse when   it's played through the radio because radio stations never come in   entirely clear.

This song ISN'T Sex & Violence, and the chimes don't sound the same   on it. Those chimes are distinguishable as chimes, on Take A Load Off   it's just noise.

uh hem.haha its a rain stick not chimes. "not to nit pick" but i am listening to it straight from the disc on a "good" system and tried 3 pairs of headphones. the dissonance or enharmonicity is basically from the tone of the rain stick against the ride not distortion.it does add alot to the song whether you're listening to it on an ipod or a "ghetto" blaster.maybe you should just go back to listening to "plush" on your supposed "good" system.while us fans,which is the majority of us, actually listen to the music through whatever we could find.its what you listen to not what you listen through.sorry dude but really?

I don't even know where to begin. You sound ignorant as fuck, bro.

I didn't know that not liking the chiming noise - "rainstick" - whatever the hell, means I'm not a fan.

I definitely didn't have this album preordered on iTunes so I could get 1 bonus track, and I definitely didn't drive an hour to 3 different stores to buy 2 copies of the deluxe edition, and there's no way in hell I own their previous 5 albums plus the version of Thank You that comes with a DVD. I also didn't make multiple 6 hour trips to be at their first show since reuniting, and I never spent 70 hours driving to and from fuckin' Missouri so I could see 4 of their new songs performed live.

Oh wait! I DID do all of that stuff, and DO own all of their records.

Sure, it adds a lot to the song: static when you're listening to it through crappy speakers. And it's going to sound even more like static when it's being played on a radio station. I frankly don't give a damn because I never listen to the radio, and I never claimed to have a "supposed "good" system."

I don't understand the point of half the things you said in your post. Do you actually have a point to most of the stuff that you said?

I hardly ever listen to Plush; my favorite album is Shangri-La Dee Da, and Take A Load Off is one of my favorite songs on the new album.
Bleeda blooda

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 09, 2010, 09:10:07 AM »

Make sense.  And don't be a dick.  Your hard-on for rainsticks and "enharmonicity" have been noted.

He (as in "andrew") has a point.  This sounds like shit on crappy speakers/headphones.  It also sounds worse if you bought a compressed version of the album.  Most people probably bought this thing off of iTunes and are now listening to it with generic iPod headphones.

This is a very strange effect.  It ranges from 5K to 22K, and it's all over the spectrum and the stereo field.  I'm really not sure what they were doing.  Doing ANY effect this high in this day and age is a generally bad idea strictly because you know most people are going to consume your music in a compressed format.  However it came to be, it was ill-advised.

I am sure, however,  that it can't be missed.  Therefore it was added/left-in the song on purpose.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Take A Load Off next single
« Reply #298 on: June 09, 2010, 01:56:50 PM »
They really should a little on down the line release Maver as both a rock and a country single, ala "Picture" by Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow.  I think that song has large potential as a crossover.
I dont think after 10 years maver should be released.. at least not before Fast as I can, gotta re-hook all those fans who aren't like US but still enjoy STP
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

joelrojas84

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Take A Load Off next single
« Reply #299 on: June 09, 2010, 03:43:39 PM »
I've seen perfomances of Hickory Dichotomy on Jimmy Kimmel Live, I though that will be the next single, but I think Take a load off would be just fine, it's a great record, so any song will be a perfect single.