September 20, 2024, 02:31:26 AM

Author Topic: Take A Load Off  (Read 91271 times)

Unglued

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Spin.com streams "Take A Load Off"
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2010, 04:03:18 PM »
That was awesome.  Classic STP. This is the song I have been waiting for from this album.

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2010, 04:04:27 PM »
Does he really have to repeat Take a load off 1000000 times.  Gotta admit his repeating of phrases is really getting to me

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »
MP3 for me anyone? Cant stream this.  Thanks
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2010, 04:08:35 PM »
Good song, not great but solid. As someone said, the verse melody is very like "Transmissions...".

I think Sean (everylilwhore) has a point - my expectations were lowered some time ago but, before that, I had hoped that the band would return with something truly great.

5 songs in now and we have nothing that remotely resembles a genuinely excellent STP track - I like them all fine but it's their weakest offering so far at this point imo.

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2010, 04:09:07 PM »
Ah yes, it feels like 2000 all over again. Life is, I am sure, much better for most of us now, but old school STP.org / BE.com board discussions are still grand.

Overall, the lyrics to "Bagman" are awful and I think the tune sounds like AOA "Ain't Enough". The music isn't bad, just rehashed.

I really like the Aerosmith rip-off as Sean calls it, but then again, I like Aerosmith. I like "Take A Load Off" as well.

"Hickory Dicotomy" and "Between The Lines" are OK. Nothing more.

So far, I am glad the guys are back, but I am less excited about what I have heard thus far than I was SLDD and that album was all over the place. SLDD a few GREAT songs, and I am worried this one won't even have that.

Hopefully it will grow on me though.

I know this is in another topic, but I think the album will sell 82,000 first week and chart at No. 6, then tail off from there.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Take A Load Off
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2010, 04:19:44 PM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"
Anyone want to PM their favorite Gurl an MP3?   ;)

At one point you could just right click the SPIN link and "Save Target As" and it would save the mp3 to your computer.  Does that not work anymore?

I'd just send a PM, but I'm at work on a different computer...
Sin make me strong.

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2010, 04:23:13 PM »
Quote from: "Suffer_Long"
Quote from: "STPGurl"
Anyone want to PM their favorite Gurl an MP3?   ;)

At one point you could just right click the SPIN link and "Save Target As" and it would save the mp3 to your computer.  Does that not work anymore?

I'd just send a PM, but I'm at work on a different computer...

Doesn't work.  If someone has it can they pm me too, maybe it will grow on me.

cgg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2010, 04:27:32 PM »
Quote from: "Only_dying"
Quote from: "STPHEAD"
http://spin.com/audio/stone-temple-pilots/take-load

also if you use this link directly: http://spin.com/audio/play/71995 you get the MP3...
if you are clever you can save the file from there by creating a document with a link to that destination, then just right click and save target as...

this song rocks.

Or you can be really really clever and right click "save video as" :P

This is the link you have to right click, and it still works for me
STP 2008 - Las Vegas 6/14  Baltimore 8/10

STP 2011 - Belleville 7/22

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2010, 04:32:59 PM »
Shiiit .. the link is blocked here

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "so much depends on the weather"
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2010, 04:33:29 PM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
Parts of the tune remind me of  AOAs "Leave It"

EXACTLY what I thought the 1st time I heard it!
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice
6/8 The Cure
6/25 Public Enemy

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »
I streamed the album one more time in full late last night. Well...

It seems like instead of growing on me in a good way, I'm actually pretty let down by it. As I said before, I knew there was trouble in that after hearing it a few times, I didn't want to listen again. I excused this and figured it was because I couldn't listen to it anywhere other than in front of my computer. Well, I think it's because outside of 3 or 4 songs that are actually just pretty good rock songs, the rest of this album straight up kind of sucks. Not sure if they used rehashed thoughts and ideas from past albums, past projects insteading of sitting down and penning new material or not but it kind of seems this way. It's bad enough Scott didn't sit in on the writing aspect either.

I think the 'high' of hearing new STP makes one like the songs upon first listen but the more you listen, it isn't nearly as good as you once thought, or it isn't as good as you were hoping it would be. Kind of like wanting to bang a girl, and then when you get a chance, she stinks down there and she's not as into it as you were expecting her to be.
Take it.

cagedtiger1640

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »
agreed fuck I thought they were coming back to save rockinroll again.  I guess my expectations were to high.  They are old and have lost their edge.  I guess I should be glad were getting new tunes and I am just a little dissapointed though.  Still glad I get to go see them in concert and to hear them not play the same setlist I have heard the last three times I have gone to see them.  I guess I'm just sad that in my opinion the quality of this STP album is subpar based on my standards for an STP album from what I have heard so far which is about half the album.  I know this is a very divided issue.  Some people agree with me as you can see and many others dig the new material.  To each there own these are just my thoughts on the issue

everylilwhore

« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2010, 04:48:03 PM »
Quote from: "Long Way Home"
Ah yes, it feels like 2000 all over again. Life is, I am sure, much better for most of us now, but old school STP.org / BE.com board discussions are still grand.

Ain't that true.

As for the Aerosmith thing. I don't dislike Aerosmith, I simply think that I wasn't expecting such a blatant rip of another song.

It is what it is, and I hope it gets better.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2010, 04:49:38 PM »
Youre thinking is all wrong.  What do you expect from dudes that are almost 50?  Save rock N roll? When in hell does that happen? The music so far is real good to good and I think the whole album will be solid.

And its more like deciding to meeting up with an ex from your college days after 20 years and get all excited because you remeber how hot and how much fun she was, but upon seeing her you notice that she has some wrinkles, shes put on wieght and a little more chilled, still a great girl but not the same you remebered 8)

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2010, 04:50:46 PM »
They should have called this song "Shot a Load Off", because my ears orgasmed when I heard this...
Sin make me strong.