September 19, 2024, 08:51:58 AM

Author Topic: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic  (Read 103623 times)

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: My verdict is that self-titled is the best thing they've done since Purple.
« Reply #645 on: October 07, 2010, 03:02:12 PM »
I think that if this cd came out after purple it would fit right in..
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 07, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
Still listening to this album and have more than Purple i think :D

crackerman33

• Flight Attendant
  • "This is the song with no words"
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 08, 2010, 06:12:22 PM »
<blockquote>I can listen to this album more than Core, but I also don't think it's their best work.. AT ALL. Tiny Music is a fuckin masterpiece, and SLDD is a great pop record full of psychedelia.

I think the tracks on the new album should have also been in different order...except for Maver.

I don't know, I just don't think this is the best work they have ever done as a band, specially considering the length of the songs and Scott's lyrics..
</blockquote>     
TOTALLY agree on every point.  While Stone Temple Pilots is solid, I agree that they have better complete bodies of work, ESPECIALLY Tiny Music.  I would also completely rearrange the track listing on the new record. 
---------------------------------------

Tiny Music is my favorite STP album. It is by far their most diverse album to date. at 16 years old it was a but much to take in but every single listen since then it gets better and better. I wish I could hear Adhesive live ONCE before I die.

Im a huge fan of the new album but it just seems to be lacking something. I think the self-production has alot to due with that because the songs themselves are solid.

bluesuedeiztrad

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 12, 2010, 07:55:08 PM »
seriously, did you not hear Tiny Music...? Great album!

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 12, 2010, 10:25:15 PM »
I posted this in another thread about the album but it's probably more relevant here -

I'm sorry to say i've kinda lost interest with the new album, i've barely played it since June after waiting what felt like forever for it to be released :-( I want to stress that I am a huge STP fan (My favourite band hands down) and I find all their other albums to be completely timeless pieces of work, they are constantly in rotation, but this new ones not really catching on for me.  One of the main problems I have is the lack of a REALLY good slow song on this, every other album had one (Still Remains, Adhesive, Atlanta, Hello It's Late), FKOM is the closest thing but it's all over too quickly, I really don't like the lyrical theme on 'Maver' either, the whole story about a girl betting on the ponys and moving to the west coast, I prefer it when Scott writes more trippy or autobiographical lyrics although I will say that musically it is a great song. This is also the first STP album I believe to have filler material, 'Hazy Daze' and 'Cinamon' don't do anything at all for me, having said that I am probably one of the few who really digs 'Bagman' so each to their own! I feel the band played it a bit too safe on this album, all the other albums (especially SLDD) had some experimental psychadelic sounding tracks, this is more a straight up rock record and sounds a bit generic because of it.

I don't want to seem like I hate the album, i'd give it a 3 out of 5 but I do expect much more from STP, I hope they record the next album together and get a bit experimental, SLDD is their finest piece of work I believe and that was recorded together as a group in a huge mansion, maybe that's the way to get those creative juices flowing again.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

bluesuedeiztrad

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 13, 2010, 03:13:04 AM »
I don't this its time to give up on the new album just yet. I didn't like it at first but now I can't stop listening to it. Maybe I'm just excited to see them next week...

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #651 on: October 13, 2010, 09:51:39 AM »
I still love the album, I listen to it everyday.  Right up there with Purple and Tiny Music for me.  It's been my go to car album for 5 months.  Great catchy hooks and songwriting on the album.  Right now my favorite is Take A Load Off, followed by Maver.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

bluesuedeiztrad

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 13, 2010, 01:52:05 PM »
yes, Take a Load Off is indeed the highlight of the album...

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 13, 2010, 04:51:50 PM »
Still Remains isnt a 'slow' tune and I really dig "Hazy Daze", its "Ride the Cliche" juiced up brother.

Ive been listening to the album pretty consistently since it came out and I still enjoy it.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 13, 2010, 08:22:15 PM »
I couldn't listen to the album for 3 weeks, I thought I'd go crazy!
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
Re: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic
« Reply #655 on: October 27, 2011, 05:15:06 AM »
I'm bumping this because I have a legitimate review. I think there's a lot to be said now that the album has been out for a while and the hype/promotion is basically over.

Stone Temple Pilots - Self Title (2010)

For an album made nine years after their last studio release, I can't say that I was disappointed, but that's also not to say that the album was flawless. S/T definitely fits well into the already unforgettable library that STP has created, but where the album falls short is the underlying chemistry that the sound is lacking, mainly due to the band picking up where they left off after almost a decade, and because you can tell they are playing things a little safe.

Not to dog on "Between The Lines" because it's by no means a bad song, but it didn't seem like an ambitious enough choice for a first single. To make things worse, the music video excluded most traces of the actual band, especially the more memorable aspects of Scott Weiland's personality. I would argue that Scott's image was a huge factor in the success of the band, and with this album and with the following tour it's apparently missing.

I don't mean to sound excessively judgmental, but in my eyes this combination played a huge factor in why this album sold modestly, and when an album full of rock solid songs doesn't get the notoriety it deserves, some of that may be because of Atlantic, and some it may be the fault of the actual band.

With all the pessimism out of the way, I will say again that this album is definitely within the realm of Stone Temple Pilots' more successful endeavors. I automatically compare this to their other comeback album No. 4, because both albums seemed to me to be jumping off points for re-establishing the band. I'm not saying that No. 4 was bad, but I must admit their were some songs on the album that felt out of place. "No Way Out" and "Sex & Violence" specifically came off as "we're trying to be cool" more than actual STP songs.

S/T, however, felt 100% Stone Temple Pilots from beginning to end, and that is something I not only found refreshing but also respectable. It's the kind of album that makes you look forward to the next album, instead of hoping the next album will be better. It's not like Jane's Addiction's "Strays"or their newest "The Great Escape Artist" where you can hear a band that lost their ambition and sound a long time ago, and are clearly putting out an album in hopes of making some money.

Highlights from this album for me are "Hickory Dichotomy" "Peacoat" and "First Kiss On Mars."
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 01, 2011, 02:42:42 AM »
Sorry to bump the topic, but since I'm new to the forum, I wasn't here to give my opinion of the album when it came out, so...

I like it a lot, I think it is very consistent with the sound all around and it totally feels like a whole album. What I'm missing on it are a couple of hard rocking songs, which all of their previous albums had, and also a slow powerful song...it sounds all too "even", if you know what I mean. It's too much "classic" rock from the 70's, good quality rock, but I miss a bit of the variety their other albums have. It's a bit too "safe" compared to the craziness we have been used to expect from the guys. I still like it though, my favourites are "Between the lines", "Take a load off", "Hickory Dicotomy", "Hazy Daze", "Peacoat" and "Samba Nova".
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #657 on: January 31, 2012, 08:16:42 PM »
Man, it's kind of bullshit that Atlantic backed out of giving this second music video. I think it would've helped the sales a lot. The only reason I bring this up is I just saw the second video for Jane's Addiction's new album. Why do they get another music video for an album that isn't doing nearly as well as Peace Album did? Why? Because goddamn Atantic. It's like the company doesn't give STP a fighting chance...
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 31, 2012, 09:19:55 PM »
They did give it a second video, which I think cost $500 to make, but it came out good i believe.  Vids dont really have th emarjeting impace it once did IMO.

enjoy it here if youve not seen it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L69lQB8zBJw

"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 31, 2012, 10:56:34 PM »
They did give it a second video, which I think cost $500 to make, but it came out good i believe.  Vids dont really have th emarjeting impace it once did IMO.

enjoy it here if youve not seen it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L69lQB8zBJw

That link doesn't work fyi
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007