September 12, 2024, 09:58:50 AM

Author Topic: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic  (Read 102855 times)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Album review from Ireland
« Reply #300 on: May 19, 2010, 08:44:51 PM »
Do you get the leak or has the album already been relased there?
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
Re: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic
« Reply #301 on: May 19, 2010, 09:27:29 PM »
My review of the album after 1 day:

Between the Lines
Great way to open the album. However, I don't believe that the rest of the album follows the song. It seems to serve more of a "we're back" memo rather than something that fits the album. Regardless, it's still a catchy song. I love how it sounds like a cross between Magnificent Bastards and Tiny Music.

Take A Load Off
Not one of my favorites. The chorus hook is great, while the lyrics aren't anything to brag about. I do like the way the verses sound like a cross between Shangri-La Dee Da and Army of Anyone. The song doesn't grab me yet, but I'll give it time.

Huckleberry Crumble
Great song with a tinge of southern rock in it. It was probably my favorite of the "Amazon 4". I love how the chorus really picks up the beat and Dean's guitar tone just shines.

Hickory Dichotomy
Another southern rock song, but unlike anything STP's done before. Another one of my favorites from Amazon. The verses kind of have a jumpy feeling, while the chorus is more grounded and has a classic STP flavoring to it. Great song.

Dare If You Dare
There's a huge Beatles/Lennon influence in this song. I hear a bit of "How Do You Sleep?" in the verses and a Beatles-esque chorus. Fantastic melodic solo and great melody.

Cinnamon
This song should be the next single. Again, unlike anything the band has done before, but not in a bad way. This one is probably my new favorite off the album. The verses have a great melody, but the chorus suprised me with an even better one. Definite single material.

Hazy Daze
I get a Core meets Mighty Joe Young vibe from the instrumentals. Weiland doesn't use the deep growl that he used back then so this shows what Mighty Joe Young would sound like if Scott's voice was higher. It's a cool quick song that gets right to the point.

Bagman
Tied for my least favorite along with "Take A Load Off". It's not that I don't like the song, though. The bridge and guitar solo are amazing, as are the instrumentals, but the lyrics are unimmaginative.

Peacoat
This song is one of my favorite rockers on the album. It has that dark, sinister strut feeling to it. The song is pretty repetitive, but the chorus is catchy and memorable.

Fast As I Can
I don't agree with the Purple vibe that this song supposedly sets off. I hear more Tiny Music, but that's just me. Another extremely catchy chorus and a great pounding drum beat with subtle drum rolls. Hit potential.

First Kiss on Mars
The song title looks like it belongs on "Happy" in Galoshes and the song itself sounds like Smashing Pumpkins' "1979" with Weiland on vocals. Definitely not a bad thing. It's more like a revamped version of "1979". Great song for driving.

Maver
The verses in this one kind of lose me, but the chorus has a warm, summertime feel that drags me back in. The guitar solo is beautiful and fits the song flawlessly. I don't see the song being released as a single, but I could hear it on the radio.

Overall: 8/10

mtkeenan

• Arrival
    • View Profile
Re: Album review from Ireland
« Reply #302 on: May 19, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »
ah 3 geese lol
thanks for the nice comment too.

Yes got the leak, couldn't wait until Monday when it's out over here.  Am going to buy the cd too for the car.

Plus just got my tickets last week for their gig in Dublin in June.  Oh yes baby!!!

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 20, 2010, 12:05:18 AM »
Between The Lines: Great opening song and great first single, one of the better songs on the album. Catchy, driven, and great solo from Dean. 4.5/5

Take A Load Off: Arguably, this is my favorite song on the album. Quite the gem, it blends old STP with new STP imo. I hear SLDD with early STP work cause of Dean's Guitar having a chorus effect on it (prominent during Core And Purple). Chorus is very inspiring. 5/5

Huckleberry Crumble: Another strong track, The pre-chrous and chorus are real strong and grab you. The bridge is vintage STP that hardcore fans can relate to and identify. 4/5

Hickory Dichotomy: This song is just alright for me..idk how I feel about scott's vocals during the verse's...Having a hard time getting into it. The Chorus and solo help it recover somewhat. 3.5/5

Dare If You Dare: Another gem on the album. This song is tied with Take A Load as my favorite on the record. This song is very beatle-espue yet sounds like something they haven't done before. Rob's basslines are quite tasty on it, the chorus and guitar solo are moving. 5/5

Cinnamon: I just can't get into this song at all, yet it is catchy. I just have bad visions of it being on some intro song for a horrible tv show. It's to much of a depature of STP for me. I think it would be a horrible idea for a single. 1.5/5

Hazy Daze:Strong rocker song, I am a fan of the whole song. Verse, chorus, and solo are awesome. 4/5

Bagman: Just like everyone else has said, quite unimaginative for the most part. Cheesy lyrics and an out of place upbeat vibe for a dark type of song. Bridge and solo try to salvage what they can. 2/5

Peacoat: Another strong song on the album. Gives me a vintage STP feel at times during the song. Stong vocal performance from Scott. This song is growing on me. Digging the effect dean has on the solo. 4/5

Fast As I Can: This song has a strong Tiny Music vibe to it in eyes. The verse reminds me of "Pop's Love Suicide". I also, don't see the purple comparison's on it. The chorus and bridge sticks with you. I feel like this song could be alot better if they guitar had a bit more balls and grit behind it.  Besides all that I am a fan of it. 4.5/5

First Kiss On Mars: I have not been feeling this one, I think I am having a hard time getting past the synth in it. It's actually a big turn off for me  :- 2.5/5

Maver: Can't really pin point this one. I like it but there is something about it that isn't totally hooking me. The guitar solo from Dean really holds it together. 3.5/5

Awesome: Between The Lines, Take A Load Off, Huckleberry Crumble, Dare If Your Dare, Hazy Daze, Peacoat, Fast As I Can

Almost There: Hickory Dichotomy, Maver

The Ugly: Cinnamon, Bagman, & First Kiss On Mars

There was a few songs on the album that had me scratching my head and other's that I love alot. It's to early to say where it would rank with the other five at this point. All in all, I am happy to be listening to new STP and digesting it for what it is. I just think some songs needed more work or a better effort on them.
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 20, 2010, 12:17:26 AM »
Wow this album is growing in to one of my favorite STP albums.  I love every song besides Peacoat which is decent and Take a load off *which I can't stand, sorry guys*   Album is INSANE!  Is their anyway for us to have a chat room with the album streaming so we can talk about each song while it is playing?

Also does this album resemble Tiny Music more so than the other albums or is it me?  A lot of similarities to the overall sound of the album.  A lot of the songs would flow right in with TM.  That makes me the happiest person ever :)

TrippinHeart

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 20, 2010, 01:09:55 AM »
I agree. It is the closest they've come to a cohesive album since Tiny Music. Unfortunately, none of my friends actually like what STP has come up with...They have all more or less said "9 years and that's all they could come up with?" Oh well....this album rocks for me. Parts I found cheesy or over-done at first listen have now grown on me, and I also have noticed more and more layers with each listen. WOW. Amazing album!

shapy

• nice to know me
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 20, 2010, 01:16:57 AM »
Quote from: "Silvergun Picture Show"
There was a few songs on the album that had me scratching my head and other's that I love alot. It's to early to say where it would rank with the other five at this point. All in all, I am happy to be listening to new STP and digesting it for what it is. I just think some songs needed more work or a better effort on them.

You really summed up exactly what I was thinking...

I'll get to the song critiques later after another listen or two.
have fun, have fun, have a whole lot of fun!

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 20, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
TO see lame review by E.Weekly click linky
http://http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20386425,00.html

StereoTemplePirate

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 20, 2010, 01:47:02 AM »
I am dying to hear this album.  Could someone please PM me a non-torrent link?

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #309 on: May 20, 2010, 02:17:58 AM »
This is a good album, especially based on what we're all used to hearing in today's rock climate. For STP, this was a miss. Their worst release thus far because I'm skipping over way too many tracks when I listen to this album. Every other album I can listen straight through without my finger on the 'Next' button. Also, I think this album is the death of the heavy-hitting, punch-you-in-the-mouth STP from No. 4.

The mixing was awful. Rob and Dean are great musicians, but it just doesn't translate over to mixing and producing. The bass, which has been one of the strongest aspects of their work in the past, was almost non-existent in the one. The guitar got the spotlight more, a good thing, but keep the bass in there too. They can coexist.

Finally, the general feeling of this album, to me, was to be a bunch of radio-friendly hits. While I don't really dig a lot of the tracks on this one, I could see them being commercially successful. Melodic choruses, lazy riffs, but they all have that quality that makes them feel like they would do well in today's music climate. It's nice to have new STP, but I wish I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up for a rocker like the band kept saying it was.[/quote]

I completely agree with you sir!  The band shouldn't have chosen to self produce this record, based on their Talk Show album production, which is a superb album but the guys don't have technical skills of production and mixing that Brendan O'Brien and Nick Dida have, which is surpirsing because Scott said in a recent interview that after Core the band co-produced their albums with Brendan.  Anyways, this album is a pop rock album nothing more, poor mixing, and poor decisions where the guitars and bass could have been recorded just a tad heavier to please their older fans.  Instead the band has chosen the path of indie rock on Cinnamon with a , Jonas Brothers/Miley Cyrus type chorus , give me a break...where have Rob's and Dean's balls gone?? anyone?  I never expected STP to go down this path.  That being said I do enjoy Fast as I Can and Peacoat and Take A Load Off.  Also Eric doesn't  sound like the Eric Kretz we know of, his drumming is less than spectacular on this record, sounding way too mainstream.  We know that STP can rock hard based on Fast as I Can and that Scott has still got his Purple/Core voice, but the choice ultimately is up to them of course... ::)
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 20, 2010, 02:33:31 AM »
Quote from: "DankoJones"
TO see lame review by E.Weekly click linky
http://http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20386425,00.html

It's a lazy review, but it's a B+. I'll take it.

hack745

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 20, 2010, 02:36:24 AM »
Quote from: "RangerJim"
Quote from: "hack745"
This is a good album, especially based on what we're all used to hearing in today's rock climate. For STP, this was a miss. Their worst release thus far because I'm skipping over way too many tracks when I listen to this album. Every other album I can listen straight through without my finger on the 'Next' button. Also, I think this album is the death of the heavy-hitting, punch-you-in-the-mouth STP from No. 4.

The mixing was awful. Rob and Dean are great musicians, but it just doesn't translate over to mixing and producing. The bass, which has been one of the strongest aspects of their work in the past, was almost non-existent in the one. The guitar got the spotlight more, a good thing, but keep the bass in there too. They can coexist.

Finally, the general feeling of this album, to me, was to be a bunch of radio-friendly hits. While I don't really dig a lot of the tracks on this one, I could see them being commercially successful. Melodic choruses, lazy riffs, but they all have that quality that makes them feel like they would do well in today's music climate. It's nice to have new STP, but I wish I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up for a rocker like the band kept saying it was.

I completely agree with you sir!  The band shouldn't have chosen to self produce this record, based on their Talk Show album production, which is a superb album but the guys don't have technical skills of production and mixing that Brendan O'Brien and Nick Dida have, which is surpirsing because Scott said in a recent interview that after Core the band co-produced their albums with Brendan.  Anyways, this album is a pop rock album nothing more, poor mixing, and poor decisions where the guitars and bass could have been recorded just a tad heavier to please their older fans.  Instead the band has chosen the path of indie rock on Cinnamon with a , Jonas Brothers/Miley Cyrus type chorus , give me a break...where have Rob's and Dean's balls gone?? anyone?  I never expected STP to go down this path.  That being said I do enjoy Fast as I Can and Peacoat and Take A Load Off.  Also Eric doesn't  sound like the Eric Kretz we know of, his drumming is less than spectacular on this record, sounding way too mainstream.  We know that STP can rock hard based on Fast as I Can and that Scott has still got his Purple/Core voice, but the choice ultimately is up to them of course... ::)

I agree, but don't misunderstand me: I don't think this is a bad album by any stretch. I hold STP to a different standard that I hold other musicians because I've heard what they're capable of producing. If say, I don't know, Nickelback were to put this out, minds would be blown. But this is not STP standard, in my opinion. Too much of this album can be dismissed; and in my review I listed possible reasons. Those songs are what tell me that this isn't a 120% STP record. It is still a good record, but it's good only by comparison, not by standard.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 20, 2010, 02:42:01 AM »
I think most people are jumping the gun to quickly.  Its been out for 24 hours and people have it as one of the best, while others are already skipping tunes,

Give yourself a couple of weeks or a month before heaping praise or laying smack.  To be cliche, everyone is so quick to judge.

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #313 on: May 20, 2010, 03:03:14 AM »
Quote from: "RangerJim"

Finally, the general feeling of this album, to me, was to be a bunch of radio-friendly hits. While I don't really dig a lot of the tracks on this one, I could see them being commercially successful. Melodic choruses, lazy riffs, but they all have that quality that makes them feel like they would do well in today's music climate. It's nice to have new STP, but I wish I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up for a rocker like the band kept saying it was.

I agree, but don't misunderstand me: I don't think this is a bad album by any stretch. I hold STP to a different standard that I hold other musicians because I've heard what they're capable of producing. If say, I don't know, Nickelback were to put this out, minds would be blown. But this is not STP standard, in my opinion. Too much of this album can be dismissed; and in my review I listed possible reasons. Those songs are what tell me that this isn't a 120% STP record. It is still a good record, but it's good only by comparison, not by standard.

I agree with you.  STP are my band so it's just a little frustrating to see them go in a direction that Cinnamon has gone...It'll grow on me, I hope
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

DadaelusJones

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 20, 2010, 03:25:56 AM »
Re: Production
Do not agree on the mix and production comments at all -- I think Dean and Rob have done a fine a job creating space within the songs. The bass cuts through fine on my computer speakers and while the guitars are thick, Dean has them panned outside the mix.

Re: the album
The pop is strong with this one. There's nothing here with the dirt of #4 or the weight of Shangri but thats OK -- this is an lightweight, sugar coated, easy on the stomach STP snack. It generally takes me a couple of months to fully digest and metabolize an album but I'm feelin' pretty, pretty, pretty good right about now.