September 12, 2024, 09:51:21 AM

Author Topic: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic  (Read 102854 times)

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic
« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2010, 05:44:49 PM »
After 3 listens so far, I'll give it 7.5/10. About the same as Talk Show, a bit better maybe. Definitely not SLDD/TM/AoA or even Libertad standard imo.

On the downside, there aren't any truly great songs and there are too many ordinary chord progressions. I also think some of the melodies are very predictable which is most unlike Scott.

On the upside, it's a good summer album - it will sound sweet in the car and it's more radio-friendly overall than before. I can see a lot of people who didn't like STP in the past getting into this record.

I'm looking forward to having the CD - whether it grows on me or not, it's a welcome addition.

thefrontman55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2010, 05:52:21 PM »
Quote from: "Core76"
All in all I think the New Album is great !!!!! To me it is like a combination of Purple, The Best moments of Tiny Music and what VR did on Libertad. Personally I think its the best thing they have did since Purple. Here is my track by track.

1. Between The Lines - 5/5  Thought it was a great choice for the first single. Could have heard this song on Purple or Tiny Music. { yes I hear the nirvana vibe on the track lol }

2. Take A load Off - 4/5  Another track that wouldn't have sounded out of place on Purple or tiny music. Only thing that bugs me a little here is the yeah's after the take a load off parts.

3. Huckleberry Crumble 5/5  Single worthy for sure. Strong Aerosmith vibe on this track. Wouldn't have sounded out of place on VR'S Libertad.One of my personal favs.

4.Hickory - 5/5  Single worthy for sure. Most will either love or hate this because of the vocals on the verses. Almost kinda new wave 80's vibe on verses. Reminds me of B52'S the way Scott sings on verses lol. Cool track. Also could have heard this On Libertad.

5. Dare If You Dare 5/5  Single worthy for sure. This song is actually pretty epic in my book!!! Strong Beatles vibe and another Personal fav.

6. Cinnamon - 2/5  The what the fuck moment on the Album lol.  If your a 12 year old girl you may like this.

7. Hazy Daze 4/5  Cool intro riff !!! Good song nuff said.
8. Bagman - 5/5 Single worthy one more time!! Great song another libertad sounding track.
9. Peacoat - 5/5 Single worthy for sure again baby!!!!! Great,Great song !! one of my favs!!
10. Fast As I can 4/5  Another good rocker here!!!  another song that would have fit well on Libertad.
11. First Kiss On Mars - 4/5 Would have been a 5 but The prechorus and chorus let me down a pinch. Verses are awesome on this song.
12. Maver - 5/5  Single worthy one last time!!!!  Great song!! Great closer.

Core and purple are still there best in my opinion, with this album coming in a close second.
It's nice to hear them write another great album again. The past 3 albums all have had there moments, but I never really liked them from start to finish like Core and Purple. Now i can finally place one more album at the top of the list !!!! Oh and before i forget I give this album 5 out of 5 stars !!!!!!

Wait...... bagman isn't the what the fuck on this album? God people listen to Sour Girl, Seven Caged Tigers, Adhesive, Too Cool Queenie, Hello It's Late, Kitchenware and Candy bars and Glide. STP likes this psychedelic glam pop thing. It's present on every album except core.

hack745

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »
I haven't posted here in a long time, but I've been a reader of BE since a little before the reunion. I figured a good way to get back into posting would be to review the new album.

Between the Lines - 3/5 - I really didn't dig this song at first, but after about a month of exposure, I could hear the redeeming qualities. This is, though, the weakest STP opener thus far, counting Pop's Love Suicide instead of Press Play.

Take a Load Off - 4/5 - Best rocker on the album, and the only song to scream STP to me upon initial listen. I'm not the biggest fan of the overproduction, and see why it's a turn-off for a lot of listeners. All that being said, I don't think this song would ever punch its way into the mainstream charts if released as a single.

Huckleberry Crumble - 1/5 - Dean's guitar work and the bridge before the solo are the only positive aspects of the tune. Maybe it's because I was never a fan of Aerosmith, but it seems like they purposely tried to sound just like them.

Hickory Dichotomy - 3/5 - I really dig the country vibes mixed in with Scott's Johnny Rotten impression during the verse. Other than that, a solid album filler. Not particularly memorable, but certainly not something to skip over.

Dare if You Dare - 2/5 - Boring song. Awful refrain. Good solo. I'll be skipping over this one. Also, just a general comment, but did the mix Rob completely out of this album. A solid noodly base line from Rob would've improved this song a great deal.

Cinnamon - 2/5 - STP and adult contemporary mashed together. Not a bad tune, but repetitive lyrics kill this one for me. This'll be a hit if released. This is what music today demands.

Hazy Daze - 3/5 - I like this one, but the guitar is the best and worst aspect here. Little overdone during the refrain, but solid throughout the rest of the song. I could've lived without the fuzz on it, as well.

Bagman - 2/5 - Scott really does well during this song, other than the, "Bagman, honey..." bits. Everything else is pretty forgettable.

Peacoat - 4/5 - I don't dig the lyrics, but the song has a good, memorable riff. Wish more of the album had the balls this one has. The mixing didn't do this track justice.

Fast As You Can - 3/5 - Could've been a real rocker, but the mixing castrated this one. This one begs to have heavier guitar and bass.

First Kiss on Mars - 2/5 - The music's not bad, but Scott's Bowie has always been pretty low on my desire to hear scale. Total outtake from Happy, or at least it feels that way. I think this may have been a victim of the separate writing.

Maver - 5/5 - The only real winner on this album. Beautiful music, good vocals. They may have limped into the album with Between the Lines, but the closed it just the way they should have. I personally hope this isn't a single; I'd like it to remain an unknown gem like Atlanta.

Overall - 3/5 - This is a good album, especially based on what we're all used to hearing in today's rock climate. For STP, this was a miss. Their worst release thus far because I'm skipping over way too many tracks when I listen to this album. Every other album I can listen straight through without my finger on the 'Next' button. Also, I think this album is the death of the heavy-hitting, punch-you-in-the-mouth STP from No. 4.

The mixing was awful. Rob and Dean are great musicians, but it just doesn't translate over to mixing and producing. The bass, which has been one of the strongest aspects of their work in the past, was almost non-existent in the one. The guitar got the spotlight more, a good thing, but keep the bass in there too. They can coexist.

Finally, the general feeling of this album, to me, was to be a bunch of radio-friendly hits. While I don't really dig a lot of the tracks on this one, I could see them being commercially successful. Melodic choruses, lazy riffs, but they all have that quality that makes them feel like they would do well in today's music climate. It's nice to have new STP, but I wish I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up for a rocker like the band kept saying it was.

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 19, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »
After one listen,  I would give this album no less than an A-.   I was actually expecting to like  it less, but with STP they always exceed my expectations.  The only songs I don't really care for are "Dare if you Dare" which sounds a bit too much like the Beatles, and "First Kiss on Mars" which didn't really do anything for me.   The rest is amazing.  Scott sounds so good on this, even if he did use some autotune.   Basically every song has parts that I like.  There are parts where Scott just makes the songs sound like classic STP.

Lusher

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
    • http://hillbillymag2.wordpress.com/
« Reply #289 on: May 19, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »
Heres my two cents

The new self titled album by Stone Temple Pilots sounds exactly as a band should thats
confident of exactly what it wants.  Easily the most self assured album of the bands
catalouge as well as the most cohesive and direct.  Lead single 'Between the Lines'
popped the band directly back on top of the current rock pack.  It isn't difficult to
see why.  While not one of their best songs it would be a career highlight of any other band currently milling around the rock and alternative charts.  A welcome blast of tuneful rock that makes radio sound, as much as it can, fresh again.  'Take A Load Off' revisits the bands "Transmissions From A Lonely Room' but improves on the song with a killer chorus and hook. Misstep one arrives in the form of 'Huckleberry Crumble' which simply is an Aerosmith song and in this listeners ears that is a big negative.  The one saving grace comes in the lyrical Lewis Carroll wordplay.  'Hickory Dichotomy' is a down South stomp featuring Weiland as a redneck Iggy Pop.  The song has the ability to stick in your brain in an odd way.  Dean Deleos expert guitar work also elevates this song from being b side filler.  'Dare if You Dare' is a  majestic epic recalling psychadelic Beatles lyrics but musically sounding like a Plastic Ono Era John Lennon.  A song that sits comfortably beside "Lady Picture SHow' and 'Glide.'  A definite album highlight.  'Cinnamon' sounds like it may have been left on Weilands solo side project floor.  A left turn shift for the band that leaves me with visions of bad summertime music videos.  Kids might like this song and adults who are too literal with their expressions of love.  'Hazy Daze' follows a more definitive STP sound with snakelike riffage from Deleo and allusions to Weilands ex wife and drugs.  'Bagman' struts through with a chugging start stop groove and a chorus that recalls the sixties television program 'Batman.'  It sounds too fun of a song to be yet again about such a dark topic as drugs.  'Peacoat' is a mid tempo rocker with some of the best lines on the record.  "Your eyes stare right through me to the back of my face" but falters in a less than stellar chorus.  'Fast As I Can' lives up to its title with its breakneck riffs and scuttling rhythm.  'First Kiss On Mars' brings out the Bowie and the bi polar.  A step in STPs newer directions and the most defined song of that direction.  Album closer 'Maver' is the albums highlight and finds Weiland stepping up his vocal range hitting very nice, and very big notes.  The song about a woman searching for fame but not finding it is destined to be a classic of the STP cannon.  After salivating to hear the album 'Maver' made it all worth the wait. One of those once in a lifetime songs.  STP is definetly back and are proving it with some of their strongest work yet.

7.5 out of 10

Core76

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 19, 2010, 06:25:12 PM »
Love Sour girl, Hello It's Late and Kitchenware. Never said anything about not liking the psychedelic glam pop thing lol.  Cinnamon is just a little to sweet for my taste. I mean hell i gave the album 5 stars out of 5 and love 11 out of 12 songs on it what more do you want lol.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2010, 06:26:11 PM »
Instead of a song-by-song review, here's how I rank all 6 STP albums:

1) Shangri-La Dee Da
2) Purple
3) Stone Temple Pilots
4) No. 4
5) Tiny Music
6) Core
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2010, 06:34:35 PM »
I think the album is very good. It's going to take me a while to wrap my head around Peacoat though. Scott was not kidding when he said Dean's playing is amazing on this album.

I think the songs we had already heard were the most derivative, some of the rest of this album was a lot more interesting, both in the writing and sonically. I do think Scott has been slightly lazy with this album though. I'm more impressed with the rest of the band's contribution.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2010, 06:40:22 PM »
Quote from: "hack745"
The mixing was awful. Rob and Dean are great musicians, but it just doesn't translate over to mixing and producing.

There are definitely some mix issues. The lead vocals and guitar solos are often too quiet, and the rhythm guitars and background vocals are often too loud. Also, the drums and bass should be allowed to come forward a bit more, a la Tiny Music. Basically, just pulling back the rhythm guitars a bit across the board would be a moderate improvement.

Overall, I wouldn't call the production bad, but you can tell it's self-produced, especially when compared to their previous albums with Brendan O'Brien. There are many times the "seams show." There are a few times when listening to a song (like Take A Load Off) where some weird sound jumps out at me and distracts me, and I think stuff like that can be mostly handled with proper mixing/EQing. Also, the album doesn't seem to have a cohesive sound. Each of the first five albums had a distinctive sound, and by listening to any one song off any of those albums, you could get a feel for that album's sound. For example, listen to tracks 1-3 on "STP" in a row; they sound like they're each from a different album, and it's not just Dean's diverse tone, but I think more of a mastering issue. Dean has always been a chameleon of guitar tone, but an experienced producer knows how to guide and shape all the elements into a cohesive sound.

I'm in no way a producer or engineer, so take my comments at face value. Like I said, the production isn't bad; it's not a complete disaster, like say... Death Magnetic. It's just okay. Personally, I would prefer them let the pros handle that aspect next time.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2010, 06:46:42 PM »
Yes, I mostly agree with that. There were a few moments when I thought there were sounds that seemed very out of place, but mostly I think it was OK. They seem to have copied the way Brendan has produced them in the past, but done not quite as good a job at it.

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2010, 07:04:43 PM »
Why does everyone want rockers and hard hitting songs?  Personally STP shines on the ballad's and experimental shit.  If I had a whole album of Adhesive's, And So I know's and Samba Nova's I'd flip the fuck out.  STP is not a HARD ROCK BAND!  Just my .02

Between the lines - 7/10 - Decent opener, definitely has that STP sound, especially Scott's vocals.

Take a load off - 3/10 - Really can't stand this song and my least favorite off the album.  The Chorus is good but ugh how many times can one say Take a load off?  The repetition really turns me off.

Huckleberry Crumble - 8.5/10 - Dean's work is great on this song and yes it has a Aerosmith Get your wings vibe but hey that album was fucking awesome!

Hickory Dichotomy - 8.5/10 - Love the twangy guitar and the chorus gets stuck in my head all day. YOU'RE MESSING WITH MY BRAIN!!!!!!!!

Dare if you Dare - 7/10 - Catchy song that definitely gets stuck in my head.  Great solo.

Cinnamon - 7.5/10 - Totally different sound and I was initially like wtf (but in a good way)  I can see where people can hear The Cranberries in this song.  I have a feeling this is going to grow on me more.

Hazy Daze - 7/10 - I like this song but defnitely not in love with it.  Dean does come through again though.

Bagman - 7/10 - Really hated this song when I first heard it, but the bridge is amazing (one of stp's best) and the song has grown on me tremendously.  

Peacoat - 5.5/10 - Decent song, second least favorite song on the album.

Fast As I Can - 8.5/10 - Fucking catchy as hell!  Love this fucking song so much.  NO WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY I DON'T KNOOOOOOOOOOW :)

First Kiss on Mars - 9/10 Favorite on the album, just AWESOME!  Kind of song where Weiland shines!  I was afraid it was going to be too much of his Bowie voice and it definitely is not.  Click your heals and listen to the radio reminds me of She mine *love songs keep coming on the radio you split on Monday* REEEEEEEEEEL OVER AND OVER :)

Maver - 7.5/10 - Like this song and I feel like it is going to grow on me over time.  It is so close to being 8/10 right now What a way to end the cd.  AHH ok it's an 8!

Samba Nova - 10/10 - Have to include it because it wasn't released and because one of my favorite STP songs ever.  Just a wonderful song from start to finish.  BEAUTIFUL!

mtkeenan

• Arrival
    • View Profile
Album review from Ireland
« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2010, 07:10:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

I may be one of the first to hear the album from Ireland.  I've loved STP since Core.  I remember the day I bought core on cassette and went on a train trip from Dublin to Limerick (i was studying there at the time).  I was completely hooked by the guys and have loved them ever since.  I first saw them in Dublin on the purple tour.  This was the gig with a very bald scott.  He was dancing out in the main area of the sfx (venue) during the support act.  I then saw them in London for the SLDD tour - 2001.  

So I was eagerly anticipating this new album and listened to it on my commute home today.  Had it on the ipod and have probably done irreversible damage to my ears lol  (only kidding)

I've only had the album since 4pm today so these are my initial opinions.

Between the lines - this song has being out a while and it's a superb opener to the album. Not the greatest song, but solid and catchy. 8/10

take a load off - an instant favourite of mine.  Very clever song, am loving it. 9/10

huckleberry crumble - again have heard this song for a number of weeks and i'm not getting sick of it.  Love the chorus 9/10

hickory dichotomy - somedays i like this and somedays i don't.  It's a departure for stp and it's got a very good chorus. 7.5/10

dare if you dare - after reading fabulous reviews from various websites that had the album ages ago, i was expecting more from this song.  It's obviously got that Beatles influence.  Don't get me wrong it's a good song (probably a grower) but i was expecting something different 8/10

cinnamon - wooh what a pop song. 8.5/10

hazy daze - loving this song.  The music is very good and very purplish 8.5/10

bagman - when i heard this streamed first i instantly liked it.  It's a good catchy song 7/10

peacoat - i reckon this song will grow on me.  Hope so.  Has potential to.  Remember i've only had this album for a few hours 7/10

fast as i can - ah not sure about this one.  Maybe it will be like peacoat and grow on me.  Not the best song on album by a long way. 7/10

first kiss on mars - very Bowie (ish).  Superb chorus and a superb number to be honest 8.5/10

maver -  one word WOW.  Have played this song over and over.  It's my favourite song so far.  Such good lyrics and the base is astonishing the way it kicks in and fades a little.  Also in the 2nd or 3rd verse there is what sounds like a duck being strangled.  I'm not a musician so someone will probably point out what instrument sound this is, but i love it. 9.5/10

phew i'm exhausted now, so am going to sit down and listen to it again

Silvergun132

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2010, 07:46:24 PM »
Damn, all these reviews are killing me.

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Album review from Ireland
« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2010, 08:10:05 PM »
Quote from: "mtkeenan"
Also in the 2nd or 3rd verse there is what sounds like a duck being strangled.  I'm not a musician so someone will probably point out what instrument sound this is, but i love it. 9.5/10

That was not a duck being strangled.  ::)

It was a goose. Actually 3 geese, one per verse. The boys are very innovative with their recording techniques.  8)

(nice review, btw  :) )

Core76

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 19, 2010, 08:29:18 PM »
If you guys haven't ever heard it, Ozzy also covered all the young dudes on his covers album. Go to youtube and check out his version.