September 19, 2024, 11:49:22 PM

Author Topic: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic  (Read 103672 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic
« Reply #240 on: May 16, 2010, 09:04:07 PM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
Im not suprised that this album is a grower, due to the different direction they seem to be going in.  Aside from BTL the other songs on amazon have all taken me several spins to really like them.
I wouldn't say the songs on Amazon are the best on the album.  Out of the 3 on there Huckleberry is the best, but Bagman is the worst song on the album and Hickory is alright, but there are much better songs on the album.  The whole album doesn't have the "Southern" vibe like these songs.  I've been listening to the album in my car and even did to write my review so I could really get a good feeling of the album with surround sound and it hasn't left my car since.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

chetstp7

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 16, 2010, 09:57:18 PM »
I agree about bagman from what i have heard, but bagman does a good job getting stuck in your head. Hickory I think is great and HC is easily the best of the 4 on amazon

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #242 on: May 18, 2010, 04:53:45 PM »
After listening to this album daily for almost two weeks now, I have to say that after the initial excitement of the first couple of spins, my appreciation for the album as a whole has grown tremendously.

I like where the band is going with its sound, from the arrangements to the production, this album is a huge step forward for me from No. 4 and Shangri-LA DEE DA. 10 out of 12 songs can hold their own against much of STP's catalog and is head and shoulders above anything else that is new out there.

As a whole, this feels more like an Album with a capital A than anything STP has put out since Tiny Music... and except for that album's "classic" status, this new one is right up there for me.

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 18, 2010, 04:55:01 PM »
Rik, stop it!  ;D The wait is unbearable. I would love to jam out to this album while at work.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 18, 2010, 05:01:53 PM »
Quote from: "Rik"
After listening to this album daily for almost two weeks now, I have to say that after the initial excitement of the first couple of spins, my appreciation for the album as a whole has grown tremendously.

I like where the band is going with its sound, from the arrangements to the production, this album is a huge step forward for me from No. 4 and Shangri-LA DEE DA. 10 out of 12 songs can hold their own against much of STP's catalog and is head and shoulders above anything else that is new out there.

As a whole, this feels more like an Album with a capital A than anything STP has put out since Tiny Music... and except for that album's "classic" status, this new one is right up there for me.

Thanks Rik.  I think when you said in your initial review that this album could be for STP what Californication was for RHCP, it gave me a feeling that this was going to be a top notch cohesive album.
Sin make me strong.

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 18, 2010, 05:02:29 PM »
Quote from: "Rik"

Sounds real goooooooooooooooooooooood! :D Thanks Rik!

roughtumble

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 18, 2010, 05:06:05 PM »
On which song does Scott sound like Perry Farrell? I think Rik or somebody else mentioned something like that...

benwalton

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 18, 2010, 09:16:51 PM »
Just heard it. Doing a review for contactmusic.com, I'll post a link when I've written up the review, but for now, i'll whet your appetites with my track-by-track notes that I use to help me write the reviews:

Spoiler Alert

Between The Lines – punchy, straight off. Big chorus hook, first single. Abstract lyrics. Classic STP but faster, more to the point. Verse has a hook, chorus has a hook, bridge section has a hook. Fucking awesome solo.

Take a Load Off – more textured, angular guitars. Melodies intertwined working together. More calm. More frantic riffing and intricate soloing. To the point.

Huckleberry Crumble – classic 70s rock vibe but brought up to date with an STP twist – this is still definitely an STP song, but unlike any that have come before. “I feel like I’m pulling away, yeah” hook – going to be in my head for weeks. More fantastic soloing, twice. 3 very different tracks all next to each other. Stompy.

Hickory Dichotomy – once more very different for STP, but it could not be anyone else. Weird vocals – sex pistols or Iggy rip off maybe? Not as immediate as the first 3 tracks. Amazing solo again. Quality, but may take a while to get used to.

Dare If You Dare – slower, first song over 4 minutes. Layers of guitars and keyboards – could benefit from being heard through headphones. Another great solo. First example of Weiland getting into higher notes and being adventurous vocally – it works, he still has it.

Cinnamon – picks up the pace again but not as aggressive as 1-4. Verses sound a little like Weiland solo material. Very immediate and poppy, would work well on the radio. Layers of intricate guitar leading to a solo which is a hook in itself. If anything it does get a little repetitive towards the end, I always feel short changed by fade outs

Hazy Daze – another big, heavy, aggressive, frantic riff. The guitar really stands out; it feels like maybe the vocals get lost behind it in the chorus. Another solo, straight to the point stuff.

Bagman – kind of cheesy 70s thing. More layers of guitar. Despite the cheesiness that is a huge hook

Peacoat – forceful wall of guitars and riffing, less immediate but the chorus hook is there, feels like a grower.

Fast As I Can – as it says on the tin. Almost VR-y. Riffs and solos.

First Kiss On Mars – more textured, very Bowie in the verses. Even with the added textures and keyboards there is still a cool riff in there, a little like Aerosmith. Another impressive solo. Spacey and atmospheric, but packed into 3 minutes of pop perfection. Very Weiland solo.

Maver - Slower, textured keyboards. Almost Country-ish? Hints of the Beatles and queen, but still definitely STP. Epic. Wistful? Melancholy? Great solo. Acoustic guitars and pianos playing off each other in the Outro. Feels like a perfect way to finish off the album.

Other notes – 1-4 fast paced punch in the face of a comeback. The guitar work really stands out. Seems like a 70s throwback a lot of the time but with an STP take to it. The songs are condensed and straight to the point but there is a lot packed into them. There is no fat on these songs; the bare minimum of what is necessary is kept while everything else feels stripped away. Vocals sometimes feel lost behind excessive amounts of guitars. Vocal performance sometimes feels a little safe. With time it could stand up to the first 5 STP albums: it has obvious hard rockers like Sex Type Thing and Down as well as the more intricate layered songs. The most upbeat and positive sounding STP album.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 18, 2010, 09:23:19 PM »
Quote from: "benwalton"
Just heard it. Doing a review for contactmusic.com, I'll post a link when I've written up the review, but for now, i'll whet your appetites with my track-by-track notes that I use to help me write the reviews:

<snip>

Thanks for the post!  I look forward to reading the full review!
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 18, 2010, 10:30:19 PM »
For those who have it could you put down the song credits.  Im interested to see who wrote what.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 18, 2010, 10:35:48 PM »
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #251 on: May 18, 2010, 10:39:18 PM »
Quote from: "roughtumble"
On which song does Scott sound like Perry Farrell? I think Rik or somebody else mentioned something like that...
Hazy Daze.  It's more subtle but I can hear a Farrell influence, he kind of lifts some lines that Perry uses too.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Whazup

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 18, 2010, 10:44:29 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Quote from: "roughtumble"
Hazy Daze.  It's more subtle but I can hear a Farrell influence, he kind of lifts some lines that Perry uses too.
Hey Brett on your review you said that Hazy Daze was the only one that you didnt like as much as the others, does that still hold true?  

Its my favorite out of the 30 second clips posted so far, I really wanna hear it

benwalton

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 18, 2010, 10:55:11 PM »
For those who have it could you put down the song credits. Im interested to see who wrote what.

Don't know about anyone else but I can't personally. My "review copy" is a stream on a system used by the industry. I have the songs, a press release and a .jpg of the album cover available to me and that's it.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 18, 2010, 11:04:15 PM »
Quote from: "benwalton"
For those who have it could you put down the song credits. Im interested to see who wrote what.

Don't know about anyone else but I can't personally. My "review copy" is a stream on a system used by the industry. I have the songs, a press release and a .jpg of the album cover available to me and that's it.

That's all I got as well.
Take it.