September 19, 2024, 08:01:06 PM

Author Topic: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic  (Read 103665 times)

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Now I'm starting to like this record
« Reply #615 on: August 26, 2010, 09:32:30 AM »
I was listening to the Army Of Anyone album today and i'd almost forgotten how good that was, it really is an excellent rock record from start to finish.  I don't hear many people mentioning it in comparison to the new album, interesting as it's the last work we'd heard from the Deleo's prior to this album. Am I the only one who thinks it is better than the new STP album? I wouldn't rate it above the other STP albums mind you but it very close.

AOA is a pretty faceless record for my taste. I can't find anything catchy or memorable in it. Seriously, I can't find a song that I will be able to call "good".
I tried.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:36:06 AM by Tyrant »
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 26, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »
I appreciate every single STP song and album.  Even if a song isn't my favorite, I can always find something to appreciate about it.  Whether it's the music, the lyrics, the chrous or just the sound of Scott's voice.  Every song is something they worked hard to create and share with us and as a big fan I'm grateful for it.   :-*

I'm the same way. Take "A Song for Sleeping" for example: It's probably my least favorite song STP's ever done, but I don't think it's a bad song by any means. Years ago, I never gave the song a chance, but I was able to find something that I love about it, like the pre-chorus.

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 27, 2010, 01:49:24 AM »
I was listening to the Army Of Anyone album today and i'd almost forgotten how good that was, it really is an excellent rock record from start to finish.  I don't hear many people mentioning it in comparison to the new album, interesting as it's the last work we'd heard from the Deleo's prior to this album. Am I the only one who thinks it is better than the new STP album? I wouldn't rate it above the other STP albums mind you but it very close.

AOA is a pretty faceless record for my taste. I can't find anything catchy or memorable in it. Seriously, I can't find a song that I will be able to call "good".
I tried.

I really liked the AOA album.   But I decided to compare the songs to the new STP album and here is what I got.  STP basically beat it or tied with the best AOA songs.  I think Scott was able to do a lot more with the Deleos and STP even rocks a bit harder.   

1. "It Doesn't Seem to Matter" <  Between the Lines
   2. "Goodbye" < Take A Load Off
   3. "Generation" < Huckleberry Crumble
   4. "A Better Place"  TIED  Hickory Dichotomy
   5. "Non Stop"  < Dare If You Dare
   6. "Disappear" >  Cinnamon  (but this could be up for debate)
   7. "Stop Look and Listen" < Hazy Daze
   8. "Ain't Enough" >  Bagman
   9. "Father Figure" < Peacoat    (maybe a tie?)
  10. "Leave It" TIED  Fast As I Can
  11. "This Wasn't Supposed to Happen" < FKOM or Maver

kilter

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 29, 2010, 06:10:56 AM »
I liked the new record on the first listen.. with the exception of a couple songs that (to me) don't seem like they fit well. so far I prefer it to SLDD and No.4.

born2boogie

• *Happy Dancer*
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Keep Smiling ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Weiland Fans Online
« Reply #619 on: August 30, 2010, 07:17:56 PM »
sad to say I still haven't got the album..  :o  it now cost £16 in HMV and I donno if I want to pay that much for this album there is only a few songs that I like  :-[  maybe next pay-day?
Why surrender this way I feel so raped just like an open book that no one wants to read. Don't turn away.. :'(

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 30, 2010, 10:06:04 PM »
sad to say I still haven't got the album..  :o  it now cost £16 in HMV and I donno if I want to pay that much for this album there is only a few songs that I like  :-[  maybe next pay-day?

I'm not going to say you SHOULD download it.... I'm saying you COULD.....

See if you like it before you buy it. I think you'll find it worth it.
Bleeda blooda

born2boogie

• *Happy Dancer*
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Keep Smiling ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Weiland Fans Online
« Reply #621 on: August 31, 2010, 10:05:46 AM »

I'm not going to say you SHOULD download it.... I'm saying you COULD.....

See if you like it before you buy it. I think you'll find it worth it.

I would but I hate downloading.. and more so when it come to music it kinda feels like I've been cheated out of something coz its only ever going to be on my computer or mp3 player where as if you buy the album your getting so much more.. like the thoughts behind the music and design of the album plus the lyrics and hopefully putting more money into the artist pocket, I will get the album I just wish it had a little bit more to it..

lol I know I waffle a lot I could have just said nar its not for me  :P 
I did like the ones they played live thanks  ;D
Why surrender this way I feel so raped just like an open book that no one wants to read. Don't turn away.. :'(

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 08, 2010, 04:57:50 AM »
Ok so i FINALLY got it a week ago.  i didnt kno wat to thik wen i first heard it. mix of confusion and disappointment.  :'( Listened to it on and off. Only track i dislike fully was cinnamon. Then songs like take a load off, peacot, huckleberry crumble, and hazy daze were catching on and i noticed myself singing them randomly. i just started to rlly like first kiss on mars and i can say it for some reason is my favorite track off this album. idk y this happened it just did. i hope it grows more though.

Yeah I think the album is getting some pretty unfair criticism from some fans. It is pretty silly to expect another Core, as well...that album was made when the boys were in their mid and late 20s, and now they're all in their 40s. Things have changed so much for them that they're naturally going to be in a totally different mindset. To want them to be 25 forever is pretty dumb.

I'd hate for them to remind me of Taylor Swift, a woman in her 20s singing high school songs. Ugh, sorry but not my style.
Water summons wind...wind makes fire dance...

matt

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 11, 2010, 12:43:34 AM »
OnlyDying73 - my thoughts on the album are much like yours.... disappointment and confusion at first and then it kept growing on me with every listen. STP have set a high standard for the last 5 albums so I had massive expectactions on this one.

I'm a huge fan of STP's older stuff particularly PURPLE and SLDD but have to admit the new album is definitely my favourite... absolutely love it!!!!

My fav track is FIRST KISS ON MARS - wow, amazing, what an absolute gem! Best song I've heard in a long time. Right up there with INTERSTATE LOVE SONG

Other tracks I love on the album are TAKE A LOAD OFF, CINNEMON and FAST AS I CAN.... brilliant stuff!

Pleeeeeeease come to Australia and tour the new album STP, it's been a long 20 year wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZER(o)

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
My verdict is that self-titled is the best thing they've done since Purple.
« Reply #624 on: September 15, 2010, 12:02:27 AM »
Okay. So I loved Core. Purple is one of my favorite albums. Tiny Music… I considered a disappointment, but I didn't hate it. Could not fucking stand No. 4. Shangri-La Dee Da was almost as bad. I don't like either of Weiland's solo albums. And the two Velvet Revolver albums suffer from the condition of the singles being epically good, while the rest of the album seems to be just filler.

Now, of course this is just my opinion, and I'm sure the vast majority of you disagree with me. I've just felt that everything after Purple lacked any hooks for the most part, and the quality of songwriting seemed to take a plummet after they made their sound a lot less grungey. So, needless to say, my expectations for this album was pretty low. My expectations were nonexistant when I heard Between the Lines. Nonetheless, I can proudly say I was one of the scant 62,000 people who bought this cd on opening week (bought mine release day), and I was going to support the band no matter what.

It was a good gamble. At first there were only a few songs I immediately fell in love with, but after a few months of solid listening, the only song I absolutely hate is Between the Lines. ironic, since it was the lead single, and was such a huge hit. I'm sorry, I just can't fucking stand that song. All in all, this is a real comeback album. Not saleswise, obviously. But as far as quality goes, this album is outstanding. I feel sorry for everyone who's going to miss out on it, since no one buys music anymore.

The only real problem with it I think is although most of the songs are good, they're not really great. This album has no Plush/Creep, Vasoline/Intertstate Love Song, or Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart/Lady Picture Show. Hell, even No.4 has Sour Girl. The songs are just good, not unforgettable or anything that will become radio staples. Except Hickory Dichotomy. That song is among their best.

Well what do you guys think? I'm pretty happy with this new direction. I could have sworn I saw this released in digipak when I bought it, and I think I'm going to try and find that.

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: My verdict is that self-titled is the best thing they've done since Purple.
« Reply #625 on: September 15, 2010, 02:12:18 AM »
I kind of agree.   No. 4 has some GREAT songs and rocks harder, but I think the new album is much more consistent.  The only song I'm still not into is "Dare if You Dare" but it still has a good part that I like.  I also think "Maver" is better than "Atlanta"! I barely ever listen to Shangri-la-dee-da :o   I've heard it maybe 3 times.   I'm gonna get ripped apart for this, but it's how I feel.   I got nothing to lose, at this point   ;D

I wouldn't put it above Tiny Music though because that album is magic just like Purple.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 15, 2010, 02:57:35 AM »
I can listen to this album more than Core, but I also don't think it's their best work.. AT ALL. Tiny Music is a fuckin masterpiece, and SLDD is a great pop record full of psychedelia.

I think the tracks on the new album should have also been in different order...except for Maver.

I don't know, I just don't think this is the best work they have ever done as a band, specially considering the length of the songs and Scott's lyrics..
If you only knew..

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 15, 2010, 04:28:24 AM »
I can listen to this album more than Core, but I also don't think it's their best work.. AT ALL. Tiny Music is a fuckin masterpiece, and SLDD is a great pop record full of psychedelia.

I think the tracks on the new album should have also been in different order...except for Maver.

I don't know, I just don't think this is the best work they have ever done as a band, specially considering the length of the songs and Scott's lyrics..

TOTALLY agree on every point.  While Stone Temple Pilots is solid, I agree that they have better complete bodies of work, ESPECIALLY Tiny Music.  I would also completely rearrange the track listing on the new record. 

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 15, 2010, 08:44:21 AM »
For me, it's the best since Tiny Music. It's solid but yeah it lacks true classics, but I don't know, for example I used to hate "Dare", but lately it's starting to grow on me. I hope they continue for years and if we're lucky there will be albums that are even better.
I had the midwife naked and alone

Elvis

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 15, 2010, 01:46:01 PM »
When no. 4 came out, I was only into Down and No Way Out.  Now, years later, I love every frickin' note on that record.  I'm hoping the same thing happens to me with the new one since its good but not great.  I love the DeLeo's, but losing Brenden O'Brien as producer and Scott recording the vocals in his own studio away from the band may have hurt a little. 

This record reminds me of when Aerosmith released Permanent Vacation, both in timing, age of the band, and even the sound to some extent.  The good news is that Aerosmith prodcued some incredible stuff after that.