September 20, 2024, 12:08:30 AM

Author Topic: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic  (Read 103673 times)

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic
« Reply #585 on: July 06, 2010, 02:02:58 AM »
True, this is the 1st STP album without a real slow soft tune, FKOM is an amazing tune but its more upbeat.  And Maver as well is more driving than say an Atlanta, or K&C.

luvmesomestp

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Now I'm starting to like this record
« Reply #586 on: July 07, 2010, 06:01:21 AM »
it will, the album presents an entirely different sound and maturation from STP.  at first it will sound foreign to you but after a while you'll love most of the songs as much as vasoline or interstate love song.  i think for STP fans we were used to them sounding one way and they totally surprised us with this album.  this is great news, as it shows that the band still has plenty of growth.  i caught them on VH1 at their chicago concert and they looked awesome.  this album rocks

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #587 on: July 08, 2010, 09:21:26 AM »
After 2 months of listening for me and the anticipation having died down, I can honestly say this is my favorite rock album that has come out in the last decade.  You can say I'm overrating it but I still cannot stop listening to it.  To me it's their best album next to Purple, no bullshit just my opinion.  If I didn't like it I wouldn't listen to it all the time.  Hell, I liked Pearl Jam's Backspacer a lot but I stopped listening to it regularly after a month or so.  Literally every song is amazing to me on this, even Bagman has a brilliant bridge despite being the one mediocre song on the album.  I think the one thing that sticks out a lot is Scott's lyrics, like he said when he's unhappy he writes his best lyrics and his lyrics about loneliness and depression are great on this.  Not only that but he has some character songs like Maver and love songs like Cinnamon.  His melodies are also top notch, the hooks/choruses in Take A Load Off and Fast As I Can is just genius.  The music by the DeLeos and Kretz is top notch too.  Fuck the sales, if these guys don't keep making music together they're honestly wasting their talent.  I really can't wait to see how they follow this one up.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:23:37 AM by StoneTempleBrett »

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 08, 2010, 04:30:24 PM »
Finally got my STP disc... almost a month late yeah :D A friend's friend sent it from the US, seems to be the Target version, Deluxe...  Somethin or the other kept comin in the way so i started by just lyin down and readin the Inlay... and am i amazed, Im one to say Scott doesn't seem one bit lazy for me on this album! Love the story-tellin style lyrics, every song's so much more interestin as u go deeper into the lyrics :) Loved the Thank you page a lot :) My favourite's the collage :)

Then today morning, i skipped a few hours of Art school to watch the DVD :) Though i've seen the interview earlier thru the fan/atlantic/stp-supplied links I loved how the scenes of rehearsals and random studio were added in the interviews :) N there's the Chicago show :D The radio interview was very pixellated, no problem, its a Radio thing so cool :D

N finally now listening to the album full go... :) The subtle layers in each song, the wuh-ow basslines, positive vibe, Dean's amazing solos, Eric's all-out drummin, Scott's Melodies (for the millionth time) and room-fillin sound of this album just makes me come back for more :) I know after the entire listen, these guys have done the best they could in giving us a basic rock n' roll record, not delving into too heavy a song :) Just a perfect , lets continue cd... im sure to listen to this disc a lot more! The charts might not push these guys up but i've given up on the thought of tv/charts support 4 this band long back coz v know who we are and we'll be supportin them everytime, while new fans will definitely know how much theyve missed over the years havin not known about the band, and some more fans eventually who'll get to know of the band rather too late. Bad music rules today and will for a long time as another STP album goes well-noticed in mags while not in terms of numbers...

Absolutely On Par with other albums and yeah.... REPLAY!! :)

Tol

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 20, 2010, 12:50:47 PM »
i love so much the new album that i got over the old stp tunes...
take a load off

robschmidt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 20, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »

I wouldn't go as far as you, but I have really just listened to only the new album over the past few weeks.
--Rob--

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 24, 2010, 01:17:23 AM »
"Get ‘em while they’re hot:  Stone Temple Pilots – Stone Temple Pilots
After a nine-year hiatus, the California-based grunge heroes returned   with what may be their strongest album ever. Tracks including “Between   the Lines” and “First Kiss on Mars” show that the band kept its   signature edge during their near decade split. With a successful   self-titled album, Stone Temple Pilots prove to still be one of the best   rock bands in the industry.{

http://www.ubspectrum.com/arts/sizzling-sounds-1.1497476

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #592 on: July 24, 2010, 02:56:39 AM »

Well, what happens to me is that i already consider the tracks of the new album as "classics" ... and since they are touring to support this new album, they should really stop playing the old hits and more of this new/fresh songs!
Seems like you left me when you broke down

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #593 on: July 27, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Amazon named STP's s/t album number #31 of 50 best albums of the year (so far) for 2010. No a review or anything, but I think it's kind of cool that they recognized them among mostly obscure artists. (At least to me)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=br_lf_m_1000498221_pglink_next?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000498221&plpage=2

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 27, 2010, 08:03:55 PM »
What was the criteria of that list?  The best albums of 2010 that have not sold 200k?
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 10, 2010, 02:03:12 PM »
After listening to it now for two+ months, I can say which songs have grown on me, which havent and which were just a crush who I might go out for a coffee with now and then.
As a whole, I really dig the album. It's a fun record, though it is quite clear that it's more "style over substance" (cough Bagman cough), and this might take me some time to get used to. There simply is heavy focus on making short, clever and catchy as hell "good time" tracks. The essence is there - great melodies and inspired guitar/bass playing. Lyrically, this is nowhere near Scott's best work, and let's face it - he hasn't got that much to say. But, I've never thought Bowie nor the Stones had anything to say and still were cool as f*ck so...
There's a little lack of heaviness, and the influences (Beatles, Bowie, Nirvana...) are little too obvious for my taste.
The only songs I really have a problem with are "Dare if You Dare" and "Maver".
DIYD, is...sorry, a little pretentious, it's something about lines like "lady Richard won the nobel prize" and "newsman Tom" that annoy me, are you an 80-year old englishman, Scott? :) and the chorus bores me to tears. "Dare" is prefect example of what I meant with influences being too obvious, it's exactly as if Lennon did the verses, while Sir Macca takes over in the chorus.
When it comes to "Maver", I really tried to like it, and I like the flow for the most part (nice singing in the verses), but then the chorus sounds exactly like any 20-something singer/songwriter, everytime I hear it, I feel I've heard chords like that with a melody like that, atleast a thousand times. Another thing is also Scott's voice, don't be hatin, but I just get the feeling he hasn't got what the song is asking for, especially the part "for her" is a little painful to listen to, the song had me waiting, like "show us the ropes, this is "Atlanta" of 2010 right", oh well.
"Hazy Daze" and "Peacoat" have their moments, but over time they've become a little "blah" and sound a little "filler-ish" if you will. The other eight however, are brilliant. "Between the Lines" and "Fast As I Can" sound so awesome when pumped loud in my car, especially the latter - best song on the record!
"Huckleberry Crumble" is very punchy and awesome and "Hickory Dichotomy" really fresh and energetic. Take a Load Off has easily the best chorus since Tiny Music days. "Cinnamon" is pure pop, but hell it's beautiful. Though I think Scott tries to sound a little too "cute" and more 22 than 42 in the verses.
"Bagman is" almost in the category of being so ridicilous it's good, but that Dean Deleo/Weiland "ride out" is just EPIC!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:13:17 PM by Comatose Commodity »
I had the midwife naked and alone

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 11, 2010, 05:04:28 AM »
Sad to say that I've overlistened this album. I need to take a break from it after 3 straight months of listening. Hell of an album, though.

tvbuc

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
New Album not sure about it- what do ya think?
« Reply #597 on: August 12, 2010, 11:12:12 AM »
I'm a huge stp fan (Core, No.4, Shangri, Tiny Music-in that order) I can't get into this new album- I don't know what it is, the only song I really like is Samba Nova (I like it a lot) but even it wasn't meant for this album. I still find myself listening to the afore mentioned albums as well as a few tracks off of Tiny Music... I just wish they would come out with a double-live-disc playing songs like Adhesive, Naked Sunday, Bi-Polar Bear, Only Dying, No Way Out, And So I Know, No Memory, Where the River Goes, Regeneration, Dumb Love, etc.
Oh well, wishful thinkin!

tvbuc

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 12, 2010, 12:55:18 PM »
Got it when it came out...I can't get into it only really like Samba Nova which wasn't even meant for the album.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: New Album not sure about it- what do ya think?
« Reply #599 on: August 12, 2010, 01:46:03 PM »
Well, some of the tracks you mentioned for a live album (Adhesive and Dumb Love I know for sure) they've never played before, and I HIGHLY doubt will ever play at this point.

As for the current album, it was a head scratcher for me at first, but I've slowly gotten into it. One of my good friends who doesn't care for the album at all brought up an interesting viewpoint that I agree with it to an extent. He doesn't believe in the whole 'an album grows on you' viewpoint. He said that if you love an album on it's initial listen, then it's a great album in your eyes. If it takes a few spins to get into it, or 'grow on you,' then you're just become more comfortable with the sound, thus accepting it for what it is. I see his point, but at the same time, I think some albums are meant to be digested more then the initial spin. However, I can certainly tell you that I have listened to albums on the first spin and it was love at first sight. Thus, they turned out to be my favorite albums for that calender year. (Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker's Mojo is the clear front-runner for me this year, last year was Shadow's Fall Retribution, and the year before that was Shinedown's Sound of Madness)

I do however think there is a certain time and place for an album. For example, when Pearl Jam released No Code, I didn't care for it at all. I was 16 at the time, and I just didn't get it. However, when I was 23, I was at a different place in my life. So I gave it another spin, and I saw it in a whole different life. I related to it much more at 23 then I did when I was 16.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..