September 20, 2024, 12:12:09 AM

Author Topic: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic  (Read 103675 times)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic
« Reply #405 on: May 24, 2010, 05:30:51 PM »
If they are similar, where is the tumble in the roughs, the lady picture shows, the adhesives, the ride the cliche's??

You cant re-create something you did in the past, it'll just sound forced and not as good.  Just like Metallicas last album which sounded they just lifted the blue print form there early albums and re-recorded them.

I can see someon eliving Tiny Music and loving STP.  I love Tiny Music but it took me a little bit to do so and the same thing is going on ith this record.  I know it wont top Tiny Music though,  in my books ayways.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 24, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »
If they are similar, where is the tumble in the roughs, the lady picture shows, the adhesives, the ride the cliche's??

You cant re-create something you did in the past, it'll just sound forced and not as good.  Just like Metallicas last album which sounded they just lifted the blue print form there early albums and re-recorded them.

I can see someone loving Tiny Music and not loving STP.  I love Tiny Music but it took me a little bit to feel it and the same thing is going on with this record.  I know it wont top Tiny Music though,  in my books ayways.

Jim2131

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP review from a hardcore fan.
« Reply #407 on: May 24, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »
Quote from: "Silvergun Picture Show"
Quote from: "UteroiD"
I really wanted to like this album but I just can't seem to get into it.  

Musically the songs are a bit boring, the musicianship and production are great however i feel the compositions are not.  

The performances are just missing that urgency.
Totally agree.
Quote from: "Stpilots98"
Nice review but I don't understand how someone could love Tiny and not like this album, I think they are very similar in a lot of ways.

The answer is absent. Because those songs were created as a band not three members sending demo's to their singer.

Where is Tumble in the Rough?  Check out Take a Load Off.  Where is Lady Picture Show?  Try Dare if You Dare.   Ride the Cliche?  Fast As I Can is very similar.

And before you get all high and mighty about Tiny Music being created "as a band and not three members sending demos to their singer", consider that most of Tiny Music's music was written by the 3 guys alone in a house while Scott was either in another city trying to score dope, asleep upstairs knocked out on dope, shooting dope, or dope sick, and he came around and recorded his vocals when he felt like it.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 24, 2010, 05:45:35 PM »
http://www.zeitgeistyreport.com/reviews ... le-pilots/

Artist: Stone Temple Pilots
Album: Stone Temple Pilots
Label: Atlantic
Rating: 9/10

With the release of their new, self-titled CD, Stone Temple Pilots are a band with everything and nothing to prove.  On one hand, the band has a sold gazillions of records and is still capable of putting asses in the seats when they tour.  On the other, they’re certainly trying to remain a functional, forward-thinking band and not merely become one of the many 90’s hit makers now reduced to nostalgia act.

So, based on that, Stone Temple Pilots is a make-or-break album for the band.

The good news for longtime fans is that the band has never sounded better.  The bad news for those who’ve long considered the band nothing more than a Pearl Jam rip-off that made good is that the band has made a record that even non-fans will find a whole lot to like.

Album opener “Between The Lines” is a fast-paced rocker that mines the same hard-edged pop territory as bands like Cheap Trick and, on their most recent effort, Pearl Jam.  “Take A Load Off” and “Huckleberry Crumble” quickly follow and return the band to the mid-tempo groove-digging for which they are best known.  Most surprisingly, Scott Weiland, who is still rumored to have fallen off the wagon and returned to dabbling in a variety of chemicals, is in fine voice throughout the album.  Say what you will about his occasional onstage incoherence, the guy does have the fortitude to “bring it” when he’s in the studio.

Quite admirably, the band takes some stylistic liberties on this album, bravely stretching their comfort zone.  “Hickory Dichotomy” deviates from the STP formula and, quite refreshingly, stands out as one of the album’s highlights while “First Kiss On Mars” allows Weiland to turn in a quite Bowie-esque vocal performance.  Summer days spent driving with the top down were made for songs such as these.

Whether the world is ready for a new, improved Stone Temple Pilots or not, STP has turned in an album that proves quite emphatically that this band’s hit-making days might be behind them (no fault of theirs, of course) but that their best days are now.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 24, 2010, 05:47:32 PM »
http://mobile.newsday.com/infomo;JSESSI ... nopaging=0

Give Stone Temple Pilots credit. They're not resting on their laurels.

"Stone Temple Pilots" (Atlantic) could have simply retraced their '90s-rocking heyday and been just as successful, considering the interest in the band's first album in nine years. Scott Weiland , Dean and Robert DeLeo, and Eric Kretz could have trotted out "Another Interstate Love Song," "Plusher" and "Big Bang Teenager" and been done with it.

Instead, Weiland and the gang successfully stretch a bit, reflecting their time apart and their work with Velvet Revolver and Army of Anyone. The jangly "Cinnamon" is a surprising slice of power pop, complete with a carefree refrain of "yeah, c'mon c'mon now, yeah, c'mon c'mon." On "First Kiss on Mars," Weiland adopts his best David Bowie impression - both in delivery and in the images of the "bi-polar disco" and the discussion of robots and modern love - while he offers an odd mix of Johnny Rotten and Black Francis on "Hickory Dichotomy."

Of course, there's plenty of classic STP sounds on "Stone Temple Pilots," as well. The slow, grinding guitar of "Peacoat" could have easily been on "Core." The first single, "Between the Lines," is packed with post-grunge guitar riffs and rehab references that suggest things may be better now than "when we used to take drugs."

Whether that turns out to be the case, Stone Temple Pilots seem excited enough to stick together for the foreseeable future.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 24, 2010, 05:51:08 PM »
http://addictivethoughts.com/2010/05/23/1462/

Stone Temple Pilots never quite achieved the level of respect that they deserved. No, they weren’t particularly inventive – nor did they push many boundaries – but they were unfairly maligned by the music press as imitators, a stigma that followed them even as they switched styles from album to album.

Of course, these same critics argued that their gradual evolution (if you wish to call it that) was just another sign of their calculated attempts to cash in on whatever the latest fads were – assertions that didn’t make much sense when you considered the alienating Morrison/Bowie vibe going on throughout their last couple records arrived at a time when rap was beginning to dominate the charts, and alt-rock – let alone glam-and- Doors-inspired classic rock – were hardly “in.” I mean, at least Scott Weiland didn’t collaborate with Timbaland, right?

Although I’ve never been a huge fan of the group, there’s no denying their ability to write a great pop tune; their singles compilation from 2003, Thank You, which was (at the time) considered their departing gift to fans as they officially split, really showcased their inherent navigation of pop/rock radio.

So, ten years after their last album of original material, with all the members having since joined and ditched various respective supergroups, STP is back with an eponymous album. The Self-Titled Record used midway through a career is often perceived as a bold statement – whether you’re The Beatles or Metallica – so it’s just a bit disappointing that Stone Temple Pilots isn’t the most emblematic product of their work together, nor their most interesting. Then again, Weiland and co. have admitted numerous times they only reunited for million-dollar-paychecks, so it could have been much worse.

Most of the songs lean more towards Bowie, Aerosmith and Cheap Trick rather than Nirvana or Soundgarden – Weiland’s voice isn’t notably different from the last time we heard him in this band, and the DeLeo Brothers’ talents are still well on display.

As it stands, STP is a solid, fun, passably entertaining record – a strong enough comeback that probably won’t push millions of units or set the airwaves ablaze, but which will, for the most part, connect with their fans. Most of the songs suffer from the same flaw that Weiland’s last album with Velvet Revolver did: overly repetitious choruses. For this very reason, the more you play ‘em, the more endearing these songs become – lead single “Between the Lines” grew on me after about 2 – 3 spins – but at first it can be a tad bit annoying, especially when Scott’s engaging in strange vocal inflections (as on the sticky “Hickory Dichotomy,” which features lyrics as nonsensical as the singer wrote during the prime years of his heroin addictions).

So, there’s sticky pop and choppy rock and serviceable fun to be had here. Nothing mindblowing, but a couple tunes you might hear on alt-rock stations years from now along with “Big Empty” and “Sex Type Thing,” as well as a few eclectic tracks that you might see on obscure-leaning fan lists in the future with the likes of “Atlanta” and “Hello It’s Late.” And if you like any of those songs then you pretty much know what you’re getting here. If you don’t, you probably think they’re bandwagon-jumping imitators. Can’t please everybody.

Rating:  3.5

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 24, 2010, 07:01:48 PM »
OK, they lost me in the first line there. "Not particularly inventive"? The FUCK?!

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 24, 2010, 07:06:51 PM »
I think "Thank You" was the only STP album he' heard.

Rogienatural34

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
"This song is called lounge fly, and there\'s a lounge, and there\'s a fly in it"

Scott - 8/15/08

Rogienatural34

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 24, 2010, 07:40:51 PM »
Edit: Double Post
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:56:38 PM by Rogienatural34 »
"This song is called lounge fly, and there\'s a lounge, and there\'s a fly in it"

Scott - 8/15/08

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 24, 2010, 08:08:29 PM »
Quote from: "EyesOfDisarray"
I can only speak for myself when I say I'm not trying to sound like a critic. (Who the hell would want to anyway?) But I am a musician, and I do have a little experience with mixing. And my opinions are: 1. There are some problems with the mix on the ripped version, and 2. It's not because of the way it was ripped.
You're absolutely right.  And don't worry about other people ragging on you for this.  Most people can't hear a fucking thing.  Most people can't see a fucking thing.  If you can, more power to you.  Try to turn it into a lucrative career.

The production issues with the album are subtle at best.  Actually, a large majority of songs are very very well done (some of the best they've ever done, in fact).  It shows up in Fast as I Can more than any other song.  It's a certain "thin-ness".  The overall sound of the instrumentation is weak.  It also shows up in the verses of Hazy Daze.  I can't completely put my finger on it yet.  Hell, maybe it's thin on purpose.

It might have something to do with the fascinating but somewhat puzzling lack of reverb on this entire album.  In order to achieve spatially interesting sounds without fake environments (read: reverb), they're using channel (read: left/right) delays (or some strange echo work).  You can hear this most obviously in the main electric guitar riff of Bagman - you hear it in the right speaker first.  In fact, if you focus on it, it can actually start to drive you crazy.  It's all over this album though.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 24, 2010, 09:30:04 PM »
Quote from: "Five Star Edge"
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jjfyxztsldse

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Stone Temple Pilots’ 2010 reunion album isn’t a song deep before Scott Weiland alludes to his checkered chemical past by singing “even when we used to take drugs,” which may not be a confession — the singer took great pains to claim he was writing in third person for this, the sixth STP album — but it’s easy to read between the lines, particularly when the song title invites you to do so. Despite Weiland’s knack for a fractured phrase, the kind that jams a verse or chorus into the brain, words have never been the reason to listen to Stone Temple Pilots, it’s always been their candied crunch, the way the filter ‘70s sleaze through psychedelic swirls. The brothers DeLeo are responsible for the former, and Weiland for the latter and, like it or not — the decade-long absence suggests that they surely don’t — they need each other, neither team sounding quite as good in their solo projects as they do working together. So, Stone Temple Pilots finds STP picking up where they left off, retaining the harder, diamond edge of Shangri-La Dee Da, balancing swagger and melody with an expert professional touch, offering everything as expected, except for the key ingredient of Brendan O’Brien, who produced every one of STP’s albums before this. In his stead come the DeLeo brothers, who somehow strip the group’s sound to the core while still managing to pile on six-string overdubs; it’s an STP record that’s de-frilled and guitar heavy, its bluntness extending to a direct quotation of “Dancing Days” in the guitar solo for “Hickory Dichotomy” and an open homage to prime Aerosmith on “Huckleberry Crumble.” Perhaps with another set of ears in the studio these allusions would be refined, and perhaps the entire set would be sharpened, anchored by a couple of surging singles, and possessing some sense of shifting texture, but as it stands, Stone Temple Pilots is a good solid record and an inadvertent testament to the fact that these guys need each other.

Thanks for posting the AMG review.  No star rating has been posted yet, but based on the review I'd guess a 4 out of 5.  But we'll see...
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #417 on: May 24, 2010, 10:37:14 PM »
Quote from: "John"
I can only speak for myself when I say I'm not trying to sound like a critic. (Who the hell would want to anyway?) But I am a musician, and I do have a little experience with mixing. And my opinions are: 1. There are some problems with the mix on the ripped version, and 2. It's not because of the way it was ripped.
You're absolutely right.  And don't worry about other people ragging on you for this.  Most people can't hear a fucking thing.  Most people can't see a fucking thing.  If you can, more power to you.  Try to turn it into a lucrative career.

The production issues with the album are subtle at best.  Actually, a large majority of songs are very very well done (some of the best they've ever done, in fact).  It shows up in Fast as I Can more than any other song.  It's a certain "thin-ness".  The overall sound of the instrumentation is weak.  It also shows up in the verses of Hazy Daze.  I can't completely put my finger on it yet.  Hell, maybe it's thin on purpose.

It might have something to do with the fascinating but somewhat puzzling lack of reverb on this entire album.  In order to achieve spatially interesting sounds without fake environments (read: reverb), they're using channel (read: left/right) delays (or some strange echo work).  You can hear this most obviously in the main electric guitar riff of Bagman - you hear it in the right speaker first.  In fact, if you focus on it, it can actually start to drive you crazy.  It's all over this album though.

I spent the weekend using the new album as my background music while we painted our house and I really enjoy it but as a musician myself I'm excited to listen to the actual album with my headphones and see how the panning was done, where they placed the acoustics and other little nick picking I enjoy doing.  They should have gone with Bob Ezrin!   >:D
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 24, 2010, 11:04:18 PM »
Quote from: "RangerJim"
They should have gone with Bob Ezrin!

I haven't his other work, but he did a fantastic job on AoA.

Sledgehammers of Truth

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 24, 2010, 11:25:51 PM »
Quote from: "RangerJim"
They should have gone with Bob Ezrin!

I haven't his other work, but he did a fantastic job on AoA.

You haven't heard Pink Floyd's the Wall?  8)