September 19, 2024, 08:03:04 PM

Author Topic: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic  (Read 103666 times)

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
Re: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic
« Reply #390 on: May 22, 2010, 02:23:26 AM »
Quote from: "DumbLove"
Weiland's ripping off Eddie Vedder on Core

I'm sorry to get off topic here but Scott didn't copy Vedder I can tell you that.  STP(or Mighty Joe Young) had gotten together around 1986 and were writing songs for what would become Core this was before Eddie vedder's time in Pearl Jam.  Just defending this whole thing about everyone copying Eddie Vedder because you should know that Scott and Eddie Vedder tried to emulate Jim Morrison, why everyone thinks the sun shines out of Eddie Vedders a** I will never know...Alright...Back on topic!
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 22, 2010, 03:15:52 AM »
I think hes just rehashing what some said in the past and its not neccesarily his opinion.

Every STP album will rub some the wrong just because of that fact they change it up.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

ryutahellhound

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP review from a hardcore fan.
« Reply #392 on: May 22, 2010, 03:28:16 AM »
Quote from: "roughtumble"
Quote from: "DadaelusJones"
Quote from: "Silvergun Picture Show"
If they are similar, where is the tumble in the roughs, the lady picture shows, the adhesives, the ride the cliche's??

The answer is absent. Because those songs were created as a band not three members sending demo's to their singer.

It looks bad, especially in light of the band's history, but its actually pretty commonplace nowadays. Technology has moved to the point that just like people don't need to be in the same office to work efficiently -- we don't need to be in the same studio to record. I've written several songs where the singer lived several states away from me (and one where I'd never even met the singer) and the results came out fantastic (IMHO).

I'm not saying this isn't a symptom of something sinister. But by itself, I don't think its a big deal.
According to the production notes in the TINY MUSIC booklet, the vocals for "Ride the Cliche" and "Seven Caged Tigers" were recorded at Hollywood Sound, Los Angeles, CA and engineered by Chris Goss and Tracy Chisholm. Is it possible these songs were written like the ones on the new album? Seems like they were recorded that way.

And not just that, but "Seven Caged Tigers" is one of their best songs IMO. So don't hate on the new album just yet. We've only been able to listen to it for a couple days, and I've seen people that are just now liking SLDD.
Favorite STP Song At The Moment- Where the River Goes

DumbLove

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 22, 2010, 03:40:52 AM »
Quote from: "RangerJim"
Quote from: "DumbLove"
Weiland's ripping off Eddie Vedder on Core

I'm sorry to get off topic here but Scott didn't copy Vedder I can tell you that.  STP(or Mighty Joe Young) had gotten together around 1986 and were writing songs for what would become Core this was before Eddie vedder's time in Pearl Jam.  Just defending this whole thing about everyone copying Eddie Vedder because you should know that Scott and Eddie Vedder tried to emulate Jim Morrison, why everyone thinks the sun shines out of Eddie Vedders a** I will never know...Alright...Back on topic!

Oh yeah, I should have clarified... As DankoJones said, that's not my opinion at all - I was just trying to give examples of criticisms others may have had for previous albums.  I love all 3 of the first ones with Tiny Music being my favorite.  Sorry for the confusion.

sevencagedtigers

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.snuffbooks.com
« Reply #394 on: May 22, 2010, 03:58:11 AM »
I always thought Weiland had a Bowie vibe even in "Core" mixed with Morrison. Yes, Weiland's mannerisms are certainly similar to Eddie's in the video for Plush the way he smiles around the microphone, but all in all Vedder couldn't hold a candle to Weiland's singing ability, especially on the last three albums (including the new one). I can understand every word Weiland sings on every song. With vedder there are certain songs especially the faster ones where he mumbles everything together. I like Pearl Jam but it's true.
Keep it Brutal at www.snuffbooks.com

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 22, 2010, 05:24:03 AM »
Ok was going to wait to listen to the whole album until I had a physical copy.  But with the leak and the streams happening I cracked big time.

I was worried, and a little down the first couple of times I listened. Some were better than others and I wasnt feeling the majority.  But after a few more spins things are looking up as Im really getting into the whole vibe.  And my anticipation for the album has actually increased because its going to be great to slip it in my cars cd player and cruise around to it worry free.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Deeze

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 22, 2010, 05:35:18 AM »
I like it. I really do.

When it was said that this album was "Beatles-esque", I would sort of agree. But in saying this, I think it's a good thing. If I can love STP and then get turned on to the Beatles because this album, then I think that's STP's mission accomplished.

My favorite songs are:
Between The Lines
Hickory Dichotomy
Cinnamon
Hazy Daze
Bagman
Fast As I Can
First Kiss On Mars
AND I THINK I THINK TOO MUCH...

vicious1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 22, 2010, 05:55:22 AM »
I'm interest to read the Rolling Stone review.

I'm thinking it be written by David Fricke and he'll give it 4/5.

jermthefan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 22, 2010, 08:42:30 AM »
Between the lines--- A          
Take A Load Off --- A
Huckleberry Crumble--- B
Hickory Dichotomy--- A+
Dare If You Dare--- A+
Cinnamon--- A++
Hazy Daze--- B+
Bagman--- C
Peacoat--- A
Fast As I Can--- A+
First Kiss On Mars--- A
Maver--- A  
Samba Nova--- B  Pretty solid...... Just seems slightly out of place
Live Tracks--- A+  They sound incredible on all of them. Hard to believe these were live performances              

Very solid effort overall. I don't know if these songs will pass the test of time, but they kick ass right now.

jermthefan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 22, 2010, 08:44:20 AM »
Between the lines--- A          
Take A Load Off --- A
Huckleberry Crumble--- B
Hickory Dichotomy--- A+
Dare If You Dare--- A+
Cinnamon--- A++
Hazy Daze--- B+
Bagman--- C
Peacoat--- A
Fast As I Can--- A+
First Kiss On Mars--- A
Maver--- A  
Samba Nova--- B  Pretty solid...... Just seems slightly out of place
Live Tracks--- A+  They sound incredible on all of them. Hard to believe these were live performances              

Very solid effort overall. I don't know if these songs will pass the test of time, but they kick ass right now.

If you're more into stars then I'd give it 4.75 out of 5.  O0

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 23, 2010, 03:47:16 PM »
Stone Temple Pilots' comeback disc a skillful, reassuring return - Detroit Free Press
"Stone Temple Pilots" (***, Atlantic, in stores Tuesday) is a skillfully executed album of what STP has always done best -- unashamedly repackaging vintage rock sounds with enough authentic sizzle to make them their own.  :)

http://www.freep.com/article/20100523/E ... ing-return

seula

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 23, 2010, 05:41:27 PM »
Quote from: "STEAK"
Love the album so far....

But it feels a bit over produced. During some songs, the music drowns out the vocals (which I noticed a bit on 'Happy in Galoshes'). Other than that, there don't seem to be any slow/acoustic type songs on the album, and nothing seems to be too hard either. Instead of 12 tracks ranging from slow to fast, the pace is pretty even among the songs. It's not a bad thing, since I like all the songs.... I just miss some of the range. I just hope that they keep making music, and hopefully get back to changing up the pace. (And hopefully playing some acoustic versions of tracks, and one day bringing back the acoustic set for live shows.)

Pretty much my thoughts. Seems to be a grower, i've only listened to it 3-4 times – still not quite sure what to think about it... But i do notice couple of things:

The lack of dynamics. Except for some of the short intros it feels like the 4 guys are working over tracks as much as possible on every freaking single second. Take Maver as an example; the intro sounds very promising, but suddenly enter Rob & Eric to literally hammer their way through the rest of the song. I know this is supposed to be a straight-forward rock record, but it feels so unnecessary on some of the songs... What i've always liked about the guys is that they've known also when not to play – until very now. And what's even worse, there almost seems to be an ON/OFF -button on back of every guy to start and stop playing, but no other way to control the dynamics of their playing.

Secondly: boy, Scott feels uninspired. And sad, to be honest. He's been writing about the same subjects for long now. For me there are too much "lazy" yeah's, come on's and other stuff seemingly just to fill the space here and there.

But maybe it's just me, i really don't know, maybe my expectations were way too high?

I understand that the guys are doing this from a totally different, more mature standpoint nowadays and obviously heading more clearly towards the traditional songwriting and history of modern rock while they are aging. Also, as someone mentioned, it's been a while for sure, so naturally the personal musical tastes have evolved and moved on, too – there's no way STP today can be heard the same way or affect the same as STP in '96 did.

I won't say i'm disappointed, at least not yet – listening to this record just didn't feel like i had hoped. And i'm not usually even too cynical when it comes to Stone Temple Pilots. For some reason i get a strong No. 4 -vibe from this one. A "Sex & Violence" and "Heaven & Hotrods" -No. 4, not "Down" or "Atlanta" -No. 4, to be precise.

Anyhow, i'm glad to say that there are moments on the record that remind me of what we've been missing – and Dean really stepped up here, no bullshit on that one! Most of all, i'd wish to see where they would take it next, but... As usually, we'll see what happens with that.

Sorry about bit of the rant, will get back to this later! :)

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 24, 2010, 04:45:35 PM »
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... fyxztsldse

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Stone Temple Pilots’ 2010 reunion album isn’t a song deep before Scott Weiland alludes to his checkered chemical past by singing “even when we used to take drugs,” which may not be a confession — the singer took great pains to claim he was writing in third person for this, the sixth STP album — but it’s easy to read between the lines, particularly when the song title invites you to do so. Despite Weiland’s knack for a fractured phrase, the kind that jams a verse or chorus into the brain, words have never been the reason to listen to Stone Temple Pilots, it’s always been their candied crunch, the way the filter ‘70s sleaze through psychedelic swirls. The brothers DeLeo are responsible for the former, and Weiland for the latter and, like it or not — the decade-long absence suggests that they surely don’t — they need each other, neither team sounding quite as good in their solo projects as they do working together. So, Stone Temple Pilots finds STP picking up where they left off, retaining the harder, diamond edge of Shangri-La Dee Da, balancing swagger and melody with an expert professional touch, offering everything as expected, except for the key ingredient of Brendan O’Brien, who produced every one of STP’s albums before this. In his stead come the DeLeo brothers, who somehow strip the group’s sound to the core while still managing to pile on six-string overdubs; it’s an STP record that’s de-frilled and guitar heavy, its bluntness extending to a direct quotation of “Dancing Days” in the guitar solo for “Hickory Dichotomy” and an open homage to prime Aerosmith on “Huckleberry Crumble.” Perhaps with another set of ears in the studio these allusions would be refined, and perhaps the entire set would be sharpened, anchored by a couple of surging singles, and possessing some sense of shifting texture, but as it stands, Stone Temple Pilots is a good solid record and an inadvertent testament to the fact that these guys need each other.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP review from a hardcore fan.
« Reply #404 on: May 24, 2010, 05:22:58 PM »
After listening to it about 10-11 times, I am confident in saying this is one of my favorite STP records.  Scott's melodies are amazing and every song *besides Peacoat and BTL* is a 4 or 5 for me.

I don't understand where the laziness people are talking about is coming from but I don't see it and this is coming from someone who didn't like Libertad or H.I.G.  

Also, people mentioned *i don't know if it was this thread* how they are comfortable with a certain STP sound or this doesn't sound like STP.  What sound is STP?  They are part country, rock, alternative, pop, psychedelic rock etc...  

Quote from: "Stpilots98"
Nice review but I don't understand how someone could love Tiny and not like this album, I think they are very similar in a lot of ways.
If they are similar, where is the tumble in the roughs, the lady picture shows, the adhesives, the ride the cliche's??

The answer is absent. Because those songs were created as a band not three members sending demo's to their singer.[/quote]

You can't ever recreate Tiny Music even if you tried.  It is their best IMO and it will always be the best.  This album however, does remind me of Tiny Music with some Purple thrown in while staying fresh.