September 19, 2024, 08:56:53 AM

Author Topic: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic  (Read 103624 times)

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic
« Reply #360 on: May 21, 2010, 04:07:05 PM »
Quote from: "VeiledTrickerySTP"
Cool, then I guess you have tons of hits and albums released like the boys from STP, right?

Hey, if you guys think the rip sounds amazing, then more power to ya! But when I listen to it, I hear problems (minor ones), and I'm entitled to share my opinion about it. Last time I checked, that was allowed here.

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 21, 2010, 04:09:42 PM »
Okay everyone needs to simmer down and not take comments personally. Just enjoy the album and that STP is still making music.
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 21, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Quote from: "Pingfah"
I think some people are hearing what they want to hear with the production in order to come off like they are a critic.

Or maybe they just have an opinion that you don't agree with and are saying what they think.

But no, can't be eh? Your opinion is so indisputable that they must just be making it up. Right?  ::)

Not really. I've listened to this album many times already and I'm not hearing the Production issues. I really do believe it's something that is being contrived to sound like a critic.

Well for me it's not an issue so much as simply, it's not as good as Brendan, it's OK but not brilliant. And why would it be? BB has produced or mixed 100s of albums, some of the most popular and critically acclaimed albums of all time.

It comes as no surprise at all that STP with their comparatively limited experience can not do quite as good a job as one of the world's most sought after producers, there's good reason why he is in such high demand. I don't think that's an unreasonable POV at all.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 04:23:17 PM by Pingfah »

Core76

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 21, 2010, 04:22:10 PM »
He is awesome there is no doubt about that !!!!

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 21, 2010, 04:42:14 PM »
Core76.  You cant give the album 5/5 if youre not digging Cinammon.  A 4.5 a better score.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

RGF030

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 21, 2010, 04:47:40 PM »
God dammit this album sounds great. I dont get what all the flack is about them going way out of the box. What the hell do these people think Shangri was? And Hazy Daze, holy hell that song smokes.

As Fast As I Can sounds like Rats In The Cellar by Aerosmith. And thats a good thing.

Core76

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 21, 2010, 05:03:22 PM »
Quote from: "DankoJones"
Core76.  You cant give the album 5/5 if youre not digging Cinammon.  A 4.5 a better score.

Everybody rates them differently I suppose. Myself if there is usually 10 songs I love on an album or better i will give it a 5/5. With this one I really enjoy 11 out of the 12 so that is why I gave it 5/5. To me anyway this is there first album since Purple that i could pretty much listen to from start to finish.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 21, 2010, 05:33:30 PM »
Here's a little test: This audio file has three pairs of short clips. Each pair has the same section from the same song, only one is from the leak and the other is from the Billboard stream. See if you can guess which of each pair is the leak and which is the stream.

http://www.box.net/shared/64xr1svqu9

1. clips from BTL
2. clips from Peacoat
3. clips from FKOM

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 21, 2010, 05:43:18 PM »
Having listening to the album 10 times straight through, I think the band tried to sound like other groups and not just themselves...which is evident.
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

Ack56

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 21, 2010, 05:54:49 PM »
I think best way to sum the new album up is that it is great to have new STP.  I don't think many of us ever thought this was going to happen.  I always thought Shrangri La was the weakest of the 5 albums but that was not a put down at all.  The other four albums are so classic.  So if the first 4 were an 'A' than Shrangri La was a A- for me.  Well now we have the 6th and album and I think it is clearly the weakest of the 6 but once again it is a great album and I think a solid B+.  It just seems we are all just so happy to have STP back that it can bias us, I dont see how you can say this album is better than any of the previous 5.  

Just one guy's opinion!

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 21, 2010, 05:56:58 PM »
I dont see how you can say this album is better than any of the previous 5.

As someone once said "Time will tell, and time is hell"
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 21, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »
Quote from: "Ack56"
I dont see how you can say this album is better than any of the previous 5.
Agreed, I dont see it being a favorite over the other 5 albums...It's just lacking the "STPness" I was hoping for that all the other albums have.  :-

But I am happy to have them around again with new music.
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

UteroiD

• Arrival
    • View Profile
STP review from a hardcore fan.
« Reply #372 on: May 21, 2010, 06:24:53 PM »
First of, as a background I wanna say I've been an STP supporter since 94.
My favorite album is Tiny Music (actually one of my all time favorites).  I have
seen STP about 5 times, last one being at Gramercy a few nights ago.  I got the promo of the new album from a coworker and after listening it three times I can confidently say this is my least favorite of their albums.  I really wanted to like this album but I just can't seem to get into it.  

I kind of expected (or wished) this album to take directions of the STP outtakes that were
leaked in 2004 (samba nova, about a fool) which I actually thought were some of their strongest songs I've heard in a while.  I love when bands take risks, all the great ones you can think do, and that was most evident I thought on Tiny Music, and those outtakes.  Initially i was skeptical about the album's recording, with musicians recording in separate studios without really collaborating personally much.  Although it does work in some instances, I would think that after being away from each other for about 8 years they would want to record together in one room, as a new start, get back to basics of being in a band.  

Now on to the music.  First single I thought was pretty catchy and definitely grabbed my attention.  However, it wasn't anything really new from them; a standart hard rocker.  Scott did mention in several interview that this was going to be a back to basics hard rock record, and this song definitely fits that description.  Then followed amazon previews of songs Huckleberry Crumble, Hickory Dichotomy, and Bagman.  This is where the
trouble starts for me.  Musically the songs are a bit boring, the musicianship and production are great however i feel the compositions are not.  I would say Scott is the one that's lacking, his vocals are in the vain of Bowie 70s era, but the melodies are just weak and bland.  The highlights for me are Dare If You Dare a Lennon/Beatlesche anthem type feel in the vein of Hey Jude, Hazy Daze which has a nice rocker riff, and great vocals
from Scott in the chorus.  Again though this is nothing new, they're still operating in their safe zone.  The rest of the albums stays in the Pop Rock style and picks up a bit, but nothign that really stands out for me.

I was equally disappointed with their performance at Gramercy.  I was happy to see Scott looking healthy, but let's be real guys, compare that performance to any of performances from 8 years ago, and the difference is night and day.  True, they’re not in their 30’s anymore, but then make the show fit your age, and don’t try to relive your past glory days.
The performances are just missing that urgency, and Scott looks plain bored singing these songs.  Yes they still sound good, but of all the times I’ve seen them, 10 songs remain in the set list constantly.  I understand they have regrouped and are catering to general rock listeners, but in Gramercy, that place was filled with hardcore STP fans, that I’m sure wouldn't mind if they swapped Creep for Army Ants, or Crackerman for Seven Caged Tigers.  Yes, you can't please everyone, but they just seem sooooooo bored performing the hits, they have an amazing catalog, where they can keep themselves
on their toes, keep themselves interested, and keep the fans interested.  I love this band, and I would hate to see them turn into one of those nostalgia acts, i believe the have the talent of becoming greater and greater they just need to take some risks.  This is just my opinion and I'm sure a lot of you will disagree.  

Also quotes like this from the new Spin make me feel very skeptical, I haven't read the whole article can you please tell me
if he elaborated...

"So how did it happen that, after falling out with two high-profile bands and one wife in lurid fashion, the ever-troubled Scott Weiland found himself back with STP, making their first album together in a decade? Simple.

Scott: "Dean called me in 2008 and asked, 'How'd you like to make a million bucks?"

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP review from a hardcore fan.
« Reply #373 on: May 21, 2010, 06:32:24 PM »
Nice review but I don't understand how someone could love Tiny and not like this album, I think they are very similar in a lot of ways.  To each their own though, but I'd give it a couple more months to let some of the new songs sink in.

I thought the Gramercy concert was the best I've seen Scott in a while.  In '08 I saw STP twice and both times he was horrible.m  As for the set list, get in line.  It has been a complaint for years and it is never going to change.  It's sad but true.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP review from a hardcore fan.
« Reply #374 on: May 21, 2010, 06:49:14 PM »
Nah, I love Tiny Music but not this album.

Take a load off is okay, but that's it.

My disappointment in this new album hadn't changed after a few more listens. It won't be on my ipod much longer.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy