September 17, 2024, 09:21:37 PM

Author Topic: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic  (Read 103440 times)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic
« Reply #330 on: May 20, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »
Love the album so far....

But it feels a bit over produced. During some songs, the music drowns out the vocals (which I noticed a bit on 'Happy in Galoshes'). Other than that, there don't seem to be any slow/acoustic type songs on the album, and nothing seems to be too hard either. Instead of 12 tracks ranging from slow to fast, the pace is pretty even among the songs. It's not a bad thing, since I like all the songs.... I just miss some of the range. I just hope that they keep making music, and hopefully get back to changing up the pace. (And hopefully playing some acoustic versions of tracks, and one day bringing back the acoustic set for live shows.)

All in all, I'm really liking the new album so far and it's just another great step in STP's musical evolution.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 04:09:07 PM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 20, 2010, 04:08:41 PM »
double*
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 20, 2010, 05:42:45 PM »
Quote from: "Tyrant"
Quote from: "Silvergun132"
That being said, I'd like to comment on the production/quality of the leak.  Yes, the leak was ripped from an album, but I think the person who ripped it didn't do the greatest job.  I don't mean to sound ungrateful here, I've been hoping for a leak for months now...but now I kind of wish I would have waited until next week to hear the real deal.  Even though the songs were ripped at 320kbps, I doubt the ripper used a high VBR when copying, so the sound suffers a bit from "loudness."  The smaller file sizes would seem to indicate the limited use of high quality VBR.  I'm definitely no expert here, but I would reserve judgement of the CD's production until we hear our own personal copy.
The rip is indeed horrible. Notice how the kroq's and spin's streams sound better. It's a lot less distorted.

This. I have the new album in its offical copy and there's absolutely NOTHING WRONG with the production or quality of the songs. They boys did a perfect job of producing and making this album. As far as production value goes, it;s top of the notch.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 20, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »
Quote from: "Slither"
That being said, I'd like to comment on the production/quality of the leak.  Yes, the leak was ripped from an album, but I think the person who ripped it didn't do the greatest job.  I don't mean to sound ungrateful here, I've been hoping for a leak for months now...but now I kind of wish I would have waited until next week to hear the real deal.  Even though the songs were ripped at 320kbps, I doubt the ripper used a high VBR when copying, so the sound suffers a bit from "loudness."  The smaller file sizes would seem to indicate the limited use of high quality VBR.  I'm definitely no expert here, but I would reserve judgement of the CD's production until we hear our own personal copy.
The rip is indeed horrible. Notice how the kroq's and spin's streams sound better. It's a lot less distorted.

This. I have the new album in its offical copy and there's absolutely NOTHING WRONG with the production or quality of the songs. They boys did a perfect job of producing and making this album. As far as production value goes, it;s top of the notch.

Just of curiosity, are the vocals and/or bass a bit louder in the mix compared to the 'leaked' songs?
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 20, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »
Quote from: "Five Star Edge"

Just of curiosity, are the vocals and/or bass a bit louder in the mix compared to the 'leaked' songs?

wouldn't know...i didn't touch any of the leaked songs. But from what everyone's been saying, i'd say yes the bass/vocals are louder considering i've enjoyed rob's work on bass on this album compared with everyone elses criticis... the mix is even, and i have nothing to complain about production-wise. so....probably.

honestly bro, there's nothing not to love about this album. just wait till you get your hands on the real thing, you'll see...
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 20, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »
I know the loudness/distortion is the rip. My issue is the actual mix. The lead vocals and guitar solos aren't loud enough, and the rhythm guitars and background vocals are too loud. I'm skeptical that this could be affected by the rip, but I could be wrong. As far as I know, that's what MP3 compression is -- dropping out unused frequencies. So I think it's fair to reserve final judgement for the CD.

Silvergun132

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 20, 2010, 06:08:22 PM »
Quote from: "Five Star Edge"

wouldn't know...i didn't touch any of the leaked songs. But from what everyone's been saying, i'd say yes the bass/vocals are louder considering i've enjoyed rob's work on bass on this album compared with everyone elses criticis... the mix is even, and i have nothing to complain about production-wise. so....probably.

honestly bro, there's nothing not to love about this album. just wait till you get your hands on the real thing, you'll see...

Thank you much for commenting here.  This really had me concerned when I cranked the leaked version in the car this morning.  Then it dawned on me with the small file sizes and constant 320kbps rate that the guy who ripped it just did a shitty job.  Between the Lines from iTunes sounded flawless production-wise IMO.  I'm so relieved that the rest of the album sounds the same way.  Now I just have to play the waiting game for me copy.  When did you get yours?  Damn that's sweet you got it early.

Immunize

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 20, 2010, 07:10:16 PM »
this album is a grower thats for sure!

mrtootles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 20, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Right now, there isn't a song on this CD I don't want to hear. I keep listening to one for only like 2 minutes then skipping around.

I'm glad to hear the production on the leak isn't good, and it wasn't just me. That's been my ONLY complaint so far. Looking forward to getting the official release.

And Maver and FKOM fucking rule. As does do Fast as I can, and Take a Load Off, and Dare if you Dare (totally a Come Together vibe in the verse, but not so much the chorus), and... well, everything.

Great album. Total departure from their previous stuff in my opinion but it's been 10 years and that's to be expected. Still, I think every track has that certain STP charm.
Eddie Izzard: 7/18, STP: 7/25, 8/31,
Beck: 8/25, 08/30, Radiohead: 8/25

Only_dying

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 20, 2010, 11:40:10 PM »
My "leak" is great quality, however I rec'd it myself, didnt download it.

Going with what people are saying about the quality of the songs on the album This is probs my 3rd fav STP album after tiny and purple, skipped college to listen to it all day which is maybe a bit nuts lol

MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #340 on: May 21, 2010, 05:30:21 AM »
Stone Temple Pilots - "Stone Temple Pilots"

Overall Rating: 8.5 out of 10

I view this album to be kind of reminiscent to No. 4 in the sense that it has that "comeback album" feeling to it. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, I'm just saying for the most part its the band trying to re-establish their sound and their relevance. They said it themselves that this album is more about writing straight forward rock songs.

I've listened to the album twice, and after the first time I felt a little disappointed by the second half... however, after listening to it again the later songs are already starting to grow on me more. That is the power of STP. Even if you try not to like something of theirs, after a while it tends to find its way into your taste. For example, I was highly disappointed with "Fast As I Can" but now I'm starting to understand the mentality behind it, and where it fits.

I must admit, this album doesn't have the kind of polish that the Branden O'Brien albums did, but it isn't to say that it doesn't work. This being their first self-produced album as a group, I think they did an uncanny job and certainly made something that can live up to the other albums.

Above all, I feel like this album shows the kind of musical ambition that may have been lacking in the last two albums, and even though its not their most colorful album to date, it brings back some of the sentiments of the first three albums.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 21, 2010, 05:35:34 AM »
I think some people are hearing what they want to hear with the production in order to come off like they are a critic. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the production quality of this album.

DumbLove

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 21, 2010, 07:02:10 AM »
Love the album and the fact that the boys produced it themselves.  Makes it even more appropriate that it's their self-titled release.  Echoing what others have said, it's their most cohesive release since Tiny Music except that it's more straight forward rock, and it's definitely pure STP.  I instantly loved over half of the songs, and I can see the others as ones that take time to grow on you.  I even think Bagman is great - don't see where all the hate is coming from for the song, although yes, the chorus sounds like the 60's Batman theme song.  Hazy Daze and Huckleberry Crumble are the two standout tracks for me upon the first few listens - I can't get them out of my head.  STP is back with a new sound, and they did not failure to deliver.

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 21, 2010, 11:01:38 AM »
Ok, I just fell in love with "Dare If You Dare" and "Peacoat" and I wasn't too fond of them at first and actually kinda hated them.
And I love "Hazy Daze" even more and more with each listen. Strangely, everything that has the word "Daze" in it's title is awesome for some reason  :)
"First Kiss On Mars" is a masterpiece.
Still waiting for a good rip though, since the leaked one is fucking distorted, as was previously discussed.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

benwalton

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 21, 2010, 11:28:27 AM »