September 17, 2024, 09:03:21 PM

Author Topic: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic  (Read 103436 times)

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic
« Reply #315 on: May 20, 2010, 05:27:47 AM »
Many bands today are going with what ive heard is called Loud Production and it just starts jarring at one point. The Deleo's have stuck to clean production sound which many people are not used to, dats the reason i think fans on here feel the absence of an edgy sound. Pay attention to the groove and ull see its still there. The clean production is the same reason i think people hate Libertad. Give it a chance, get used to this type of production coz we are used to the fuzzy sound/ production of the 90's all this while. Here u get a cleaner, clearer, detailed sound. I love the production work.

Secondly, this is the most fun sounding, positive sounding album after TM i've heard from STP. Even more than TM. The other albums sound melancholic and serious. This time round its light yet edgy, groovy and positive :)

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 20, 2010, 05:29:19 AM »
WOW it is so funny to read all the difference of opinion on here.. My faves are completely different from others and the one I dont like people think are the best on the album

It is so awesome how we all love the cd but in completely differnt ways!
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 20, 2010, 05:31:17 AM »
My review, one day in:

The best album since the Purple/Tiny Music power couple, but Cinnamon is fucking horrible. I'd be incredibly surprised if that song ever grows on me. Luckily, the rest of the album is just ace. Not sure about people's issues with the production here-- exponentially better than No. 4 and Shangri LA. You can actually hear the drums, and everything is crystal clear. This is one album chock-full of potential hits. Basically every single song could be a single.

Well done boys.

Whazup

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 20, 2010, 05:42:41 AM »
My super mega in-depth review:

This album fucking rocks.  I don't need to say much cause the music speaks for itself

10/10

:)

silvergun88

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 20, 2010, 06:29:44 AM »
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20386425,00.html

not sure if this has been posted or how credible it is but they seem pretty into it. giving it a B+ i believe is huge considering the type of music that is big in today's world. i have kept away from most the leaks so i cannot wait for this to get rolling

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 20, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »
This is why Australia is fucking amazing...

Picked up an OFFICIAL copy today a FULL WEEK before the thing comes out back in the states...needless to say I literally ran home from the record store after i picked it up, here's my review before i make the rest of you too jealous:

First off, the cover art is MUCH better in person than it looks online, seeing it in person i'd put it second to Purple as my favorite album art from STP

Between The Lines - 8/10

We've all heard it. We've all loved it. Great song. Great first choice for a single.

Take A Load Off - 8.5/10

This one's quickly shooting up the list of my favorite songs on this album. Could easily be a song on Shangri...reminds me a lot of Transmissions, especially the verses. Perhaps the most "STP" song on the album for those of you who feel that this album is a bit of a derivation. Love the high, soaring chorus after the heavy pre-chorus. "Yeahhhhh it's alriggghttt, as we mosey off on into the niggghttttt". Also, really love the way this song ends. Perfect way to top off a hard-rocker of a song.

Huckleberry Crumble - 8/10

Talked about just as much as BTL, we all know by now this sounds like Aerosmith. But unlike others, I don't think this is a bad thing at all. Aside from being a big Aerosmith fan, I love the sound the boys bring to this one. Heavy, big, crunchy...cut out perfectly for the second single if you ask me. I can see this being a huge summer hit back in the states. Definitely a windows down, 80 on the highway kind of thing. Dean's guitar work on this album is spectacular.

Hickory Dichotomy - 9/10

Love this one. This and Dare If You Dare back to back is an orgasm for the ear. You can definitely dance drunk to this one, it's silly but rockin at the same time. Dean's work in the verses are killer...love the little runs he goes on. There's not much to say about this track that hasn't already been said so i'll leave it at that.

Dare If You Dare - 10/10

This may be the best song on the album. Drips with Beatles influence. Weiland sounds a lot like Lennon in the verses. Definitely like nothing STP's ever done before...spacey, beautiful and of course Dean rips another spicy solo. It's clear by this point Dean really REALLY stepped up his game for this album. I thought I might miss the straight, hard-rock structures of previous STP songs without these flashy solos but truth is I really don't. Dean's guitar work is just too crunchy not to appreciate and embrace. Melody of this one is impeccable, can't say enough about the verses. The line "Everybody wants to start a new religion, please relax don't need a soul collision" brings pensive thoughts to my head, while the line "Let the proof be in the pudding...sugar" brings a smile to my face. The more I listen to it the more confident I am in saying this is the best song on the album, and one of the best STP has ever written.

Cinnamon - 8/10

Yes, it's very poppy but I fucking love it and I'm not ashamed to say it. Kind of sounds a bit like The Cure which is never bad. It's a sweet song bordering on saccharine but never quite gets there which is good. Lacking a bit lyrically, especially in the chorus but i'm really digging Dean's quirky little riff that goes through it. STP have been masters over the year of being borderline corny but never actually hitting that point. I think this should be the 3rd single following Huckleberry Crumble. 6 SONGS IN AND 6 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SOUNDS. This is why i love STP!

Hazy Daze - 8/10

I'm gonna say it again...Dean really brought his A game to this album. Main riff and solo are killers. Vocally, the verses almost sound like something off a Joan Jett song...in the best way possible. Love the transition from verse to chorus. Anyone who's questioning Rob's bass on this album need to look no further than this song Kills it. Very strong first 7 tracks.

Bagman - 7/10

We all have very polarizing views on this song. I still think this is a real catchy tune...especially in the verses. Strutting, arrogant licks and runs. I think we all agree on the fact that the chorus could be a little more inventive and a little less "BATMAN!" but i still think this is a good song. The way it slows down a bit with the bridge I think does a lot for it and saves it a bit.

Peacoat - 4/10

This is where I think the album begins to stumble a bit. Nothing too creative about this besides the funky tone on Dean's guitar in the pre-chorus. The only real song on the album I'd describe as filler. For the first time on the album I'm not crazy about Dean's riffage here. The intro/verse riff is a little too pop even for me...almost sounds like an avril livigne riff or something...ouch. Another crunchy solo by Dean later on though, so he makes up for it a bit. All in all, this struck me as kind of a lazy song.

Fast As I Can - 5/10

I'm gonna have to agree with previous reviewers that this sounds like a Velvet Revolver B-Side. If this is the next single, I think it's a massive mistake. Verses are alright, shades of Pop's Love Suicide. Come chorus though, sounds just a little too generic "Why why why am i crying?"...just a little too generic and boring. On the flip side love the line in the second verse "I can't get on the golf course anymore". I feel like this song had potential before the chorus was done.

First Kiss On Mars - 9/10

The album comes back to life with this track. Of course, we've "heard it all before"...Bowie, bowie, bowie. Unlike others however, i actually like the "ooo ooo ooo's". Just a matter of taste, i guess. Absolutely fucking LOVE the chorus. It's absolutely beautiful. Simple, but gets the point across. Wouldn't be out of place on Happy In Galoshes...having said that, it'd be the best song on the album. A trend I'm noticing as the songs play through is that Scott sounds genuinely happy on this album. Something we haven't seen enough of in recent years.

Maver - 10/10

Ah...the closer. Once again STP's nailed it with the last song on the album. This song was still in my head 3 hours after spinning the album for the first time earlier today. Very, very beautiful song. I feel weird saying this as a guy but I think i found my wedding song. One of the prettiest songs I've ever heard. The piano's tremendous...great little touch. Maver is clearly an alias for Mary. Lyrically, the best song on the album. Loved the line "cause she could play the six string better than those macho pendejos"...hilarious. Dean again blew me away with his solo. When the song breaks down acoustically after the solo is one of the best moments on the album. Will still have this stuck in my head for the rest of the night "Maver in a bonnet, streaks of life upon it...". Absolutely love this one.

Other notes...

It's way too early for me to know where I rank this in my mind amongst the other records. However, I'll say that it certainly holds its own when compared to the previous 5. If there's anything bad I'd have to say about the album, it'd be that because there are SO MANY different sounds it doesn't flow as well as STP's previous albums. Also, I would've liked to see a little more out of Kretz. He holds his own but nothing he did really stuck out to me. Samba Nova, while not completely redone, absolutely sounds different and cleaner.

All in all, I'm thrilled about the way this album came out and I expect it to only grow on me more and more in the coming days. Truly impressed and inspired by the work the boys did here.

Stone Temple Pilots - Stone Temple Pilots - 9/10, A-
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Silvergun132

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 20, 2010, 12:55:28 PM »
I've only really heard the album twice so far, and yes it is pretty solid like most of you have been saying.  A couple big surprises, namely Cinnamon (not sure what to think of that one yet.  It's like Sour Girl on ecstasy!).  Maver is by far my fav after a first listen.  I can't provide a detailed review until I give it a few more spins....

That being said, I'd like to comment on the production/quality of the leak.  Yes, the leak was ripped from an album, but I think the person who ripped it didn't do the greatest job.  I don't mean to sound ungrateful here, I've been hoping for a leak for months now...but now I kind of wish I would have waited until next week to hear the real deal.  Even though the songs were ripped at 320kbps, I doubt the ripper used a high VBR when copying, so the sound suffers a bit from "loudness."  The smaller file sizes would seem to indicate the limited use of high quality VBR.  I'm definitely no expert here, but I would reserve judgement of the CD's production until we hear our own personal copy.

Case in point, the production on the legal version of Between the Lines I downloaded from iTunes was superb--crystal clear bass line, crisp vocal track(s), and very clean guitar, distinguishable guitar sound--just what we expect and are used to from studio STP albums, IMO.  When I listen to the version of Between the Lines from the leak, there is definitely noticable "loudness" and clarity issues.  The iTunes version of BTL is far superior from a "sound" standpoint than the leaked version.  Hopefully some of you with more experience in the production field will understand what I mean.  Or feel free to call me crazy.  Again this is just an observation, not trying to sound nit-picky.

All in all, this just means that I can't wait to get my own copy of the album because it sounds like all the songs from the leaked version suffer from the loudness/clarity issue.  Hell, even the amazon streams of Hickory Dichotomy and Bagman sound clearer than the leaked tracks.  Here's to hoping the real deal "sounds" a bit clearer like the STP production we know and love.   :)

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 20, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »
Quote from: "Silvergun132"
That being said, I'd like to comment on the production/quality of the leak.  Yes, the leak was ripped from an album, but I think the person who ripped it didn't do the greatest job.  I don't mean to sound ungrateful here, I've been hoping for a leak for months now...but now I kind of wish I would have waited until next week to hear the real deal.  Even though the songs were ripped at 320kbps, I doubt the ripper used a high VBR when copying, so the sound suffers a bit from "loudness."  The smaller file sizes would seem to indicate the limited use of high quality VBR.  I'm definitely no expert here, but I would reserve judgement of the CD's production until we hear our own personal copy.
The rip is indeed horrible. Notice how the kroq's and spin's streams sound better. It's a lot less distorted.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

letsburnholes

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 20, 2010, 02:54:42 PM »
I love the new album. It's STP embracing their pop / rock side 100%, and I love that side of them. My main gripe with this album is the verse chorus verse guitar solo nature of most of these songs.

I'd like to use Coma as an example. That song blows my mind every time with it's soft and beautifully atmospheric breakdown. It has this slow build up in the bridge until finally it breaks into a ripping guitar solo.

The new album really has no moments like this. Every guitar solo comes at a formulaic spot. Now I'm not saying the solo's are bad, their incredible, just their placing is predictable. Samba Nova fits the bill, but it's a bonus track.

I also miss the really beautiful slow grooves STP are known for. I'm talking about songs like "And So I Know", "Hello, It's Late", and "I Got You." The new album is really lacking in this department.

Having said all of this criticism, I do however love the album. I just wish the arrangements of these songs were more adventurous like they have been in the past. The guys definitely played it safe this time around.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 20, 2010, 03:09:45 PM »
I agree with COMA. That song is one of the best rockers the boys wrote.  Oh why wasnt that realeased?

A see what youre saying but boys did say that this album was going to go be a more direct and straight forward rock album.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 20, 2010, 03:19:54 PM »
Looks like this album will be STPs best reviewed album.  Heres another "raving" review

http://http://www.zeitgeistyreport.com/reviews/record-reviews/2010/05/20/album-review-stone-temple-pilots-by-stone-temple-pilots/

Artist: Stone Temple Pilots
Album: Stone Temple Pilots
Label: Atlantic
Rating: 9/10

With the release of their new, self-titled CD, Stone Temple Pilots are a band with everything and nothing to prove.  On one hand, the band has a sold gazillions of records and is still capable of putting asses in the seats when they tour.  On the other, they’re certainly trying to remain a functional, forward-thinking band and not merely become one of the many 90’s hit makers now reduced to nostalgia act.

So, based on that, Stone Temple Pilots is a make-or-break album for the band.

The good news for longtime fans is that the band has never sounded better.  The bad news for those who’ve long considered the band nothing more than a Pearl Jam rip-off that made good is that the band has made a record that even non-fans will find a whole lot to like.

Album opener “Between The Lines” is a fast-paced rocker that mines the same hard-edged pop territory as bands like Cheap Trick and, on their most recent effort, Pearl Jam.  “Take A Load Off” and “Huckleberry Crumble” quickly follow and return the band to the mid-tempo groove-digging for which they are best known.  Most surprisingly, Scott Weiland, who is still rumored to have fallen off the wagon and returned to dabbling in a variety of chemicals, is in fine voice throughout the album.  Say what you will about his occasional onstage incoherence, the guy does have the fortitude to “bring it” when he’s in the studio.

Quite admirably, the band takes some stylistic liberties on this album, bravely stretching their comfort zone.  “Hickory Dichotomy” deviates from the STP formula and, quite refreshingly, stands out as one of the album’s highlights while “First Kiss On Mars” allows Weiland to turn in a quite Bowie-esque vocal performance.  Summer days spent driving with the top down were made for songs such as these.

Whether the world is ready for a new, improved Stone Temple Pilots or not, STP has turned in an album that proves quite emphatically that this band’s hit-making days might be behind them (no fault of theirs, of course) but that their best days are now.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:20:31 PM by DankoJones »

Silvergun132

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 20, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »
Quote from: "Tyrant"
Quote from: "Silvergun132"
The rip is indeed horrible. Notice how the kroq's and spin's streams sound better. It's a lot less distorted.

Okay I'm glad someone else notices.  Yeah you know it's bad when the recordings(!) of the amazon streams are clearer than the album rip.  I really do believe the actual album will sound much cleaner..much more like the Brendan O'Brien clairty (which I love) we're all used to.  The stream of Take a Load Off sounds 100x better on spin.com than it does on the leaked version.

I hope they ship the CD out soon!  I ordered it from STP's home site...

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 20, 2010, 03:32:41 PM »
Quote from: "DankoJones"
I agree with COMA. That song is one of the best rockers the boys wrote.  Oh why wasnt that realeased?

What do you mean?  It was on SLDD

letsburnholes

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 20, 2010, 03:56:19 PM »
Quote from: "Stpilots98"
Quote from: "DankoJones"

What do you mean?  It was on SLDD

He was agreeing with my post.

I love the new album. It's STP embracing their pop / rock side 100%, and I love that side of them. My main gripe with this album is the verse chorus verse guitar solo nature of most of these songs.

I'd like to use Coma as an example. That song blows my mind every time with it's soft and beautifully atmospheric breakdown. It has this slow build up in the bridge until finally it breaks into a ripping guitar solo.

The new album really has no moments like this. Every guitar solo comes at a formulaic spot. Now I'm not saying the solo's are bad, their incredible, just their placing is predictable. Samba Nova fits the bill, but it's a bonus track.

I also miss the really beautiful slow grooves STP are known for. I'm talking about songs like "And So I Know", "Hello, It's Late", and "I Got You." The new album is really lacking in this department.

Having said all of this criticism, I do however love the album. I just wish the arrangements of these songs were more adventurous like they have been in the past. The guys definitely played it safe this time around.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 20, 2010, 03:58:35 PM »
I meant releasing it a single.

I hear that the STP boys wanted it to be the debut single for SHangri, but the execs went with Days ... HUGE mistake.