September 17, 2024, 09:10:08 PM

Author Topic: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic  (Read 103439 times)

STP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic
« Reply #270 on: May 19, 2010, 12:28:56 PM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
For those who have it could you put down the song credits.  Im interested to see who wrote what.

Nice request dude. I´ve been wondering if there is any cover on it ´cause somebody´s posted a link of All Young Dudes and it slightly sounds like Dare if You Dare.

Or not?
Whatever they say I am, that's what I'm not!

roughtumble

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 19, 2010, 01:39:40 PM »
When will the album be available for streaming in the US?

everylilwhore

« Reply #272 on: May 19, 2010, 01:53:21 PM »
Dare if you Dare = The End, Tom Petty and Green Day (21 Guns)

Cinnamon
First Kiss on Mars
(these two are my favorites so far)

S.I.N

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 19, 2010, 01:55:01 PM »
OK I have a feeling my review will appear a bit rough but by all means I'm enjoying the album.

Between The Lines- 2.5/5
I'm just not sold on this song as a whole like most folks. I despise the Dylan-esque  tone  in Scott's voice through the verses. The chorus and bridge are pretty cool but the verses really take this song down a notch for me.

Take A Load Off- 3/5
To me this sounds a lot like something off SLDD. It's not a bad song but I found myself having to go back several times to remember it; except for Dean's great guitar solo towards the end.

Huckleberry Crumble- 4/5
I love the guitar and bass in this song. I love classic Aerosmith and that vibe is definitely found here. Scott's vocals are nice here as well.

Hickory Dichotomy- 3.5/5
The strange vocals in the verses bug the shit out of me but I love the chorus which just screams STP to me.

Dare If You Dare- 4/5
Very Beatles-esque. I really dig it. Great guitar by Dean throughout. Not sure why but the song really appeals to me and I can't say there's a similar song in the STP catalog.

Cinnamon- ? 3/5
This just does not sound like STP... It's very catchy and I think I actually like the song but if it wasn't STP I don't feel like I would be listening to it very much so it's odd in that way for me.

Hazey Daze- 4/5
Love the way Scott sings this tune. This is what I expect from STP and it delivers 100% in a good way. Great rocking tune.

Bagman- 2/5
This is a forgettable tune for me. I think it suffers more from following a number of quality tunes as well.

Peacoat- 2.5/5
Nice sounding tune. I enjoy the vocal and music throughout but it's a bit repetitive and that causes it to drag.

Fast As I Can- 2.5/5
I really dig the chorus outside of that it's just meh for me.

First Kiss On Mars-  2.5/5
This is absolutely Scott's Bowie tribute tune. It stands out for that but It seems like they got a little lazy with it at the end. It's ok.

Maver- 2.5/5
Sleepy ending to the album. Not a bad song again ( I find myself saying that quite a bit through this album) but I just have a feeling they could have done more.

Overall- 3/5

I'm very glad the guys are back but I think this one will have to really set in a bit before I can understand where they are going. It feels like they are trying hard to reach out to the music scene today to some extent (which is not a good thing IMO) and trying not to be set in their ways or stagnant with their sound (they've always done that).  At the same time there is a lot of tribute sound throughout the album too... Dylan, Beatles, Bowie, Aerosmith.... that's not a surprise.... but again between them trying to reach a new audience and offering these throwbacks to older bands I think they lost THEIR sound somewhere. Just my opinion.

Ranking it as a whole against their other albums at this point probably is really unfair because to be honest it would be at the bottom for me (I just hold their other albums so highly). Hope with more spins it will move up the list but will be a difficult task.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:14:47 PM by S.I.N »

STP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 19, 2010, 02:03:12 PM »
Quote from: "everylilwhore"
Cinnamon
First Kiss on Mars

According to, it´s quite easy to describe your profile... ;D  ;D  ;D

Just kidding, don´t get upset ;)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 19, 2010, 02:18:22 PM »
Jonzing to hear this album.  I downloaded yesterday and Im going to try and hold out until I buy it.  I like the cleaned up Samba Nova and the live tracks sound good, thats all I heard from it so far.

Good to see most folk are enjoying it,
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Rogienatural34

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2010, 02:25:47 PM »
Quote from: "S.I.N"
OK I have a feeling my review will appear a bit rough but by all means I'm enjoying the album.

Between The Lines- 2.5/5
I'm just not sold on this song as a whole like most folks. I despise the Dylan-esque  tone  in Scott's voice through the verses. The chorus and bridge are pretty cool but the verses really take this song down a notch for me.

Take A Load Off- 3/5
To me this sounds a lot like something off SLDD. It's not a bad song but I found myself having to go back several times to remember it; except for Dean's great guitar solo towards the end.

Huckleberry Crumble- 4/5
I love the guitar and bass in this song. I love classic Aerosmith and that vibe is definitely found here. Scott's vocals are nice here as well.

Hickory Dichotomy- 3.5/5
The strange vocals in the verses bug the shit out of me but I love the chorus which just screams STP to me.

Dare If You Dare- 4/5
Very Beatles-esque. I really dig it. Great guitar by Dean throughout. Not sure why but the song really appeals to me and I can't say there's a similar song in the STP catalog.

Cinnamon- ? 3/5
This just does not sound like STP... It's very catchy and I think I actually like the song but if it wasn't STP I don't feel like I would be listening to it very much so it's odd in that way for me.

Hazey Daze- 4/5
Love the way Scott sings this tune. This is what I expect from STP and it delivers 100% in a good way. Great rocking tune.

Bagman- 2/5
This is a forgettable tune for me. I think it suffers more from following a number of quality tunes as well.

Peacoat- 2.5/5
Nice sounding tune. I enjoy the vocal and music throughout but it's a bit repetitive and that causes it to drag.

Fast As I Can- 2.5/5
I really dig the chorus outside of that it's just meh for me.

First Kiss On Mars-  2.5/5
This is absolutely Scott's Bowie tribute tune. It stands out for that but It seems like they got a little lazy with it at the end. It's ok.

Maver- 2.5/5
Sleepy ending to the album. Not a bad song again ( I find myself saying that quite a bit through this album) but I just have a feeling they could have done more.

Overall- 3/5

I'm very glad the guys are back but I think this one will have to really set in a bit before I can understand where they are going. It feels like they are trying hard to reach out to the music scene today to some extent (which is not a good thing IMO) and trying not to be set in their ways or stagnant with their sound (they've always done that).  At the same time there is a lot of tribute sound throughout the album too... Dylan, Beatles, Bowie, Aerosmith.... that's not a surprise.... but again between them trying to reach a new audience and offering these throwbacks to older bands I think they lost THEIR sound somewhere. Just my opinion.

Ranking it as a whole against their other albums at this point probably is really unfair because to be honest it would be at the bottom for me (I just hold their other albums so highly). Hope with more spins it will move up the list but will be a difficult task.

Great Review man.  Way to be honest with yourself.  I love your take on the record.
"This song is called lounge fly, and there\'s a lounge, and there\'s a fly in it"

Scott - 8/15/08

everylilwhore

« Reply #277 on: May 19, 2010, 03:35:46 PM »
Quote from: "STP"
Cinnamon
First Kiss on Mars

Maybe there is a language barrier here, but that makes no sense to me...

Rogienatural34

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 19, 2010, 04:11:05 PM »
Cinnamon
First Kiss on Mars

I think the person was trying to say that those two song choices make it easy to figure what kind of person you are.
"This song is called lounge fly, and there\'s a lounge, and there\'s a fly in it"

Scott - 8/15/08

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 19, 2010, 04:13:16 PM »
Cinnamon
First Kiss on Mars

I think they're saying that songs referencing cinnamon and kissing are fitting favorites of someone with "whore" as part of their profile name.  I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think that was the jist of the joke.
Sin make me strong.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 19, 2010, 04:27:03 PM »
My quick review:  I'm not going to go into great detail about the individual tracks, but after listening to the album about 10 times, I can say this album is really good.  I'm trying not to let all the Kool-Aid and 'newness' go to my brain, but I am cautiously optimistic about the lasting appeal of this album.  In other words, I think as time goes by, I will regard this album as either my favorite or 2nd favorite STP album.

STP put together a very solid rock album.  There are no glaring weak tracks (and I think every preceeding STP album other than Purple has had at least 1 weak track).  It has a classic rock throwback feel to it, but manages to sound fresh.  STP continues the tradition of putting together a completely different sound than heard on previous albums, yet it still sounds like STP.

I hope that this album is embraced and goes down in history as a classic, but it's too early to say.  "Time will tell..."
Sin make me strong.

STP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 19, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »
Quote from: "Rogienatural34"
Cinnamon
First Kiss on Mars

I think the person was trying to say that those two song choices make it easy to figure what kind of person you are.

Exactly! Thanks my friend.

I must enroll for more elementary english classes ASAP... ;D  ;D

Core76

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 19, 2010, 05:01:37 PM »
All in all I think the New Album is great !!!!! To me it is like a combination of Purple, The Best moments of Tiny Music and what VR did on Libertad. Personally I think its the best thing they have did since Purple. Here is my track by track.

1. Between The Lines - 5/5  Thought it was a great choice for the first single. Could have heard this song on Purple or Tiny Music. { yes I hear the nirvana vibe on the track lol }

2. Take A load Off - 4/5  Another track that wouldn't have sounded out of place on Purple or tiny music. Only thing that bugs me a little here is the yeah's after the take a load off parts.

3. Huckleberry Crumble 5/5  Single worthy for sure. Strong Aerosmith vibe on this track. Wouldn't have sounded out of place on VR'S Libertad.One of my personal favs.

4.Hickory - 5/5  Single worthy for sure. Most will either love or hate this because of the vocals on the verses. Almost kinda new wave 80's vibe on verses. Reminds me of B52'S the way Scott sings on verses lol. Cool track. Also could have heard this On Libertad.

5. Dare If You Dare 5/5  Single worthy for sure. This song is actually pretty epic in my book!!! Strong Beatles vibe and another Personal fav.

6. Cinnamon - 2/5  The what the fuck moment on the Album lol.  If your a 12 year old girl you may like this.

7. Hazy Daze 4/5  Cool intro riff !!! Good song nuff said.
8. Bagman - 5/5 Single worthy one more time!! Great song another libertad sounding track.
9. Peacoat - 5/5 Single worthy for sure again baby!!!!! Great,Great song !! one of my favs!!
10. Fast As I can 4/5  Another good rocker here!!!  another song that would have fit well on Libertad.
11. First Kiss On Mars - 4/5 Would have been a 5 but The prechorus and chorus let me down a pinch. Verses are awesome on this song.
12. Maver - 5/5  Single worthy one last time!!!!  Great song!! Great closer.

Core and purple are still there best in my opinion, with this album coming in a close second.
It's nice to hear them write another great album again. The past 3 albums all have had there moments, but I never really liked them from start to finish like Core and Purple. Now i can finally place one more album at the top of the list !!!! Oh and before i forget I give this album 5 out of 5 stars !!!!!!

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 19, 2010, 05:20:34 PM »
Quote from: "Core76"
All in all I think the New Album is great !!!!! To me it is like a combination of Purple, The Best moments of Tiny Music and what VR did on Libertad. Personally I think its the best thing they have did since Purple. Here is my track by track.

1. Between The Lines - 5/5  Thought it was a great choice for the first single. Could have heard this song on Purple or Tiny Music. { yes I hear the nirvana vibe on the track lol }

2. Take A load Off - 4/5  Another track that wouldn't have sounded out of place on Purple or tiny music. Only thing that bugs me a little here is the yeah's after the take a load off parts.

3. Huckleberry Crumble 5/5  Single worthy for sure. Strong Aerosmith vibe on this track. Wouldn't have sounded out of place on VR'S Libertad.One of my personal favs.

4.Hickory - 5/5  Single worthy for sure. Most will either love or hate this because of the vocals on the verses. Almost kinda new wave 80's vibe on verses. Reminds me of B52'S the way Scott sings on verses lol. Cool track. Also could have heard this On Libertad.

5. Dare If You Dare 5/5  Single worthy for sure. This song is actually pretty epic in my book!!! Strong Beatles vibe and another Personal fav.

6. Cinnamon - 2/5  The what the fuck moment on the Album lol.  If your a 12 year old girl you may like this.

7. Hazy Daze 4/5  Cool intro riff !!! Good song nuff said.
8. Bagman - 5/5 Single worthy one more time!! Great song another libertad sounding track.
9. Peacoat - 5/5 Single worthy for sure again baby!!!!! Great,Great song !! one of my favs!!
10. Fast As I can 4/5  Another good rocker here!!!  another song that would have fit well on Libertad.
11. First Kiss On Mars - 4/5 Would have been a 5 but The prechorus and chorus let me down a pinch. Verses are awesome on this song.
12. Maver - 5/5  Single worthy one last time!!!!  Great song!! Great closer.

Core and purple are still there best in my opinion, with this album coming in a close second.
It's nice to hear them write another great album again. The past 3 albums all have had there moments, but I never really liked them from start to finish like Core and Purple. Now i can finally place one more album at the top of the list !!!! Oh and before i forget I give this album 5 out of 5 stars !!!!!!

you gave every song at least a 4/5 except for cinnamon..whats the deal?
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Core76

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 19, 2010, 05:24:58 PM »
Man I am trying real hard to like it, but for now i don't know. The rest of the album I think is great though. Hell I will take 11 out of 12 any day compared to half the garbage released these days.