September 17, 2024, 08:56:54 PM

Author Topic: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic  (Read 103434 times)

thefrontman55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic
« Reply #255 on: May 19, 2010, 04:28:18 AM »
Between The Lines: Ok, I'm sure all the STP fans i know have heard the single by now and let's face it. It's STP. This is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect as a leading single off an album from them. Like Sex Type Thing, Vasoline, Big Bang Baby, Down, and Days of the Week, the other leading singles of each album, this song emulates that classic STP signature Pop driven kickin rock tune. Sure they are almost never the best songs on the albums by any means, but a strong opening.

8/10

Take A Load Off: Arguably the best song on the album. This song is why Stone Temple Pilots are awesome. They have that signature sound of just out of this world rock n roll. It's trippy, but rockin. The chorus is epic and in your face and the verses have this awesome flow that keeps your head in a bob motion. Contagious and easily a song that anyone who knows anything about this band and how good they can be will be like "yeah thats Stone Temple Pilots isn't it"

10/10

Huckleberry Crumble: This song kind of reminds me of Aerosmith without all the high pitched screeching. It's straight rock n roll, sounds like something that would be played at a football game really. But in true STP fashion, there's always a curve ball thrown at their simplistic songs to make them interesting. The bridge sort of changes the entire concept of the song and adds their signature style of euphoric music into their songs. However, without the bridge this would otherwise be a very boring song.

7.5/10

Hickory Dichotomy: This song is kind of like what would happen if Interstate Love Song was turned into a crazy carnival song on a carousel where weird sea creatures are what you ride on. If it were any other band, this would make absolutely no sense, but for Stone Temple Pilots it's incredible. This is another one that is in the running for the best song on the album. The bass in the verses is pretty sick too. Good crack at the music industry.

10/10

Dare if You Dare: It sounds very beatles like. It's really good though. Some really nice bass playing in the chorus. Chorus is very epic. Weiland sounds very strong as well. The bridge brings back the beatles like feel. It has a huge resemblance to Luck in the Sky with Diamonds through most of the song, except the chorus which kind of reminds me of a lot of the choruses in the Velvet Revolver Contraband era. Still something seems awkward about it.

8/10 (might be higher, might be lower, but i'll settle with that for now)

Cinnamon: An obvious love song about Scott Weiland and his ex wife Mary Forsberg. It's a delicious Pop Psychedelic track that sounds like it was pulled from their Tiny Music sessions. I will say it's a bit cheasy, but STP has a knack for making cheasy seem cool. I mean Sour Girl would be just silly if it weren't for Weiland's clean, high, but not ridiculously boyish voice.

9.5/10

Hazy Daze: Well if you're a nerd like me and get confused by the first two notes of this song, you might say it was Silvergun Superman from Purple, but thankfully it's not. This is another one of those songs on this album that shows that STP is still STP. It sort of combines elements of Core and their later album together. Anyone who knows some STP will have a good idea of what this song sounds like. Its a good rock tune.

8/10

Bagman:....... oh boy.... i've been waiting a long time to say this. Scott.... Eric.... Robert.... Dean..... WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING. This is garbage. This makes between the lines look like Beethoven. The bridge is almost redeeming, but this song is just so boring that i don't know what to say. Leave the mediocre rock anthems to KISS please. Ps. This is the first time i can say i honestly don't like a Stone Temple Pilots song. THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING.

2/10

Peacoat: This song was a late bloomer. At first thought this song was bad, but really it has some really cool elements. The heavy distorted bass in this song is something i've never heard in a STP song and I find it bold of Rob Deleo to give it a try. The the lyrics are also very good. It's uncomfortably enjoyable.

7/10

Fast as I Can: This reminds me a bit of some of Velvet Revolvers material off of libertad. It's not really bad, but it's just not really good for STP. The guitar sounds pretty straight dean deleo which is always refreshing. Just think it would've been better with Velvet Revolver

5/10

First Kiss On Mars: Another soft sort of psychedelic pop song. Again delicious! haha. Very Bowie, which Weiland is very good at, but still puts his own twist on it. As with a lot of the songs on this album they reflect his solo album... which sort of is a bad analogy since nobody owns it except for me and my friends hahaha. This sort of has that country vibe that STP kind of explored on Purple. The solo on this track is very good and reminds me why I love Dean Deleo.

9/10

Maver: This is the "Atlanta" or the "Kitchenware and Candy Bars" of the album. The epic last song. Again Weiland puts his bowie shoes, but still keeps his own thing going. This song also again has a sort of country feel. For STP it definitely fits well. As epic as this is, it doesn't quite live up to the "last song" standards for STP. However, this song brings good closure to their first effort in 9 years. Well done gentlemen. This may be your worst album in comparison, but if this is your worst..... then i'm not complaining!

9/10

I'll have the bonus track reviews pretty soon after the full album gets released.

Pros:
+ This is Stone Temple Pilots. If you like Stone Temple Pilots you will enjoy this album
+ Strong radio ready tunes that can bring STP back to their former glory without sounding uninteresting or like some shitty cock-rock group.
+ Definitely some of Dean Deleos strongest guitar work. The solos are ripping on this album.
+ Something for everyone. the rockers, indie nerds, and the stoners can all find something enjoyable on this album.
+ Strongest tracks: Take a Load Off, Hickory Dichotomy, Cinnamon, First Kiss on Mars, and Maver

Cons:
- Maybe a little too much on the guitar. I'm missing the straight rock n roll, almost punk song that is usually present on each album.
- Way lacking on the bass. While some tracks have some good bass, Rob Deleo can play some mean basslines and none were present on this album
- It's aged. It's taking its toll on Weiland and any hope of us truly getting a 100% STP future release is seemingly lost.

Overall: Give the album a solid 8.5/10. a pretty highly above average effort compared with most rock music coming out.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 19, 2010, 06:48:33 AM »
getting a 100% STP future release is seemingly lost.

Meaning??

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 19, 2010, 06:51:02 AM »
Between The Lines 3.5/5 - An understandable choice for the first single. Solid rock and roller. Like others, still not crazy about the Dylanesque verses, but love the Nirvana flavor.

Take A Load Off 5/5 - I was hesitant to give TALO a perfect 5 at first, so I gave it a 4.5 in a different thread, but after repeated listens, I can't find anything I don't like about it, so it gets a fucking 5. It has everything I want in an STP song and I believe it stands well against my other 5s (Plush, ILS, SCT, Wonderful, etc.).

Huckleberry Crumble 3.5/5 - While it's not one of my favorites on the album, I'm actually really glad they wrote this tune. Fun, straightforward, Aerosmithesque rocker.

Hickory Dichotomy 4/5 - I like the verses, because they are fun and bouncy, and I actually like the country twang. The chorus is classic STP. All together a diverse, well-written tune.

Dare If You Dare 4.5/5 - Very well-written and well-performed tune. The chorus borders on repetitive, but it's sounds so good that I think it avoids it. A bit Beatlesque, like some have mentioned. Really great. Takes me somewhere else.

Cinnamon 3.5/5 - I actually don't mind the fruitiness of this song. What I don't like is the simplicity. Lyrically, it's a bit unimaginative. The whole chorus is, "Yeah, come on, come on now [repeat]". What's that about? Otherwise, a cute song with good melodies. Honestly though, despite its poppiness, I don't think this one would do well on radio, because I think it would throw off too many listeners and the repetitiveness of it would turn others off.

Hazy Daze 4/5 - Groovy 70s rocker. Not really digging the vocals in the verses, but otherwise the tune rocks like no one's business.

Batman 3/5 - Batman Honey! The only somewhat weak song on the album, and I would've rated it lower if I hadn't watched videos of the live version and how much fun they have playing it. The song makes a little more sense in that context.

Peacoat 4/5 - Again, I'm not feeling Weiland's vocals during the verses, but I really like the rest of the tune. I think this one is representative of the whole album, because it does a fantastic job of melding the new direction they're exploring with the classic STP sound.

Fast As I Can 4.5/5 - I hear the VR comparison, but I think they do it better than VR. =)  The verses remind me of Pop's Love Suicide, which is great. The guitar tone on this one is orgasmic. This song was built to kick ass and it accomplishes just that.

First Kiss On Mars 4/5 - Brilliant melodies and cool lyrics. Definitely more of a Weiland solo feel, but more like STP covering a Weiland solo song. Very solid and fun to listen to.

Maver 5/5 - STP have succeeded at creating this wonderful closing ballad with Beatlesque and southern rock tendencies. This song flows so smoothly and is pure pleasure to my ears. A VERY unexpected surprise. They really nailed this one, and it closes out the album perfectly.

From my early impressions, here's where I believe it stands amongst the others for me:

Purple
Core
STP
SLDD
Tiny Music
No. 4

A successful return for our boys, and I only hope there's a lot more to come in the future! Also, the live tracks sound fantastic!

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2010, 06:53:54 AM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"

Meaning??

Meaning he's not sure whether or not the band(or Scott) can pull off a real STP album... ::)

Scott's vocals really hurt this album.  Too many effects way to overproduced as Loungefly put it earlier on.
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2010, 06:57:54 AM »
Yes, but what a REAL STP album??

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2010, 07:12:20 AM »
Yes, but what a REAL STP album??
This is a real STP album.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 19, 2010, 07:34:34 AM »
Quote from: "EyesOfDisarray"
Between The Lines 3.5/5 - An understandable choice for the first single. Solid rock and roller. Like others, still not crazy about the Dylanesque verses, but love the Nirvana flavor.

Take A Load Off 5/5 - I was hesitant to give TALO a perfect 5 at first, so I gave it a 4.5 in a different thread, but after repeated listens, I can't find anything I don't like about it, so it gets a fucking 5. It has everything I want in an STP song and I believe it stands well against my other 5s (Plush, ILS, SCT, Wonderful, etc.).

Huckleberry Crumble 3.5/5 - While it's not one of my favorites on the album, I'm actually really glad they wrote this tune. Fun, straightforward, Aerosmithesque rocker.

Hickory Dichotomy 4/5 - I like the verses, because they are fun and bouncy, and I actually like the country twang. The chorus is classic STP. All together a diverse, well-written tune.

Dare If You Dare 4.5/5 - Very well-written and well-performed tune. The chorus borders on repetitive, but it's sounds so good that I think it avoids it. A bit Beatlesque, like some have mentioned. Really great. Takes me somewhere else.

Cinnamon 3.5/5 - I actually don't mind the fruitiness of this song. What I don't like is the simplicity. Lyrically, it's a bit unimaginative. The whole chorus is, "Yeah, come on, come on now [repeat]". What's that about? Otherwise, a cute song with good melodies. Honestly though, despite its poppiness, I don't think this one would do well on radio, because I think it would throw off too many listeners and the repetitiveness of it would turn others off.

Hazy Daze 4/5 - Groovy 70s rocker. Not really digging the vocals in the verses, but otherwise the tune rocks like no one's business.

Batman 3/5 - Batman Honey! The only somewhat weak song on the album, and I would've rated it lower if I hadn't watched videos of the live version and how much fun they have playing it. The song makes a little more sense in that context.

Peacoat 4/5 - Again, I'm not feeling Weiland's vocals during the verses, but I really like the rest of the tune. I think this one is representative of the whole album, because it does a fantastic job of melding the new direction they're exploring with the classic STP sound.

Fast As I Can 4.5/5 - I hear the VR comparison, but I think they do it better than VR. =)  The verses remind me of Pop's Love Suicide, which is great. The guitar tone on this one is orgasmic. This song was built to kick ass and it accomplishes just that.

First Kiss On Mars 4/5 - Brilliant melodies and cool lyrics. Definitely more of a Weiland solo feel, but more like STP covering a Weiland solo song. Very solid and fun to listen to.

Maver 5/5 - STP have succeeded at creating this wonderful closing ballad with Beatlesque and southern rock tendencies. This song flows so smoothly and is pure pleasure to my ears. A VERY unexpected surprise. They really nailed this one, and it closes out the album perfectly.

From my early impressions, here's where I believe it stands amongst the others for me:

Purple
Core
STP
SLDD
Tiny Music
No. 4

A successful return for our boys, and I only hope there's a lot more to come in the future! Also, the live tracks sound fantastic!

I think songs like HC, HD and Bagman were very importantin that aspect. The band having fun and also making songs perfect for a live gig :) There will be our fans' expectations they'll think of who want dat trademark sound (which is there in every song), the experimentation (somethin vll see after many more listens im sure) and there's the part of the guys themselves making songs dat'll give them a great time when performing live. Dats wat i think HC, HD and Bagman do/are :) But sadly there are reviews doing the rounds just focussing on them ripping other bands off. Its commonplace to compare i guess, but its another experience listening to the album for THEM, STP :)

Thanks EyesOfDisarray :) Nice review :) Spot on with the Live point :)

thefrontman55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 19, 2010, 08:21:37 AM »

Meaning??

Let me rephrase that. I mean where STP is 100%. I think it's clear that this is no Core, Purple, Tiny Music, No 4, or Shangri-la-dee-da in a level as an album. I think Scott is a little burnt out on this record. And some of the music just seems to be recycled rock songs. I mean Bagman? Can they really think that that song would live up to their standards. This is a band where B-sides were just as good as album tracks. If Bagman was one of the songs that was chosen to go onto the album as opposed to some of the other 5 or so songs that were chosen from, then i can't see this being Prime STP. and i mean let's face it, a lot of us believed that STP never had a prime because all their stuff is so unique. Huckleberry Crumble has lost a lot of it's flare for me too. So i just feel like the guys didn't really put all their heart and mind into this record... that's all.

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 19, 2010, 09:05:12 AM »
Versatility, Treading on the risky, Fun, Just AmazinG!!

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 19, 2010, 09:06:22 AM »
Between The Lines -The first single appeared to be a nice song. Just nice. Nothing less, nothing more. The video made me love the song a little bit more.

Take A Load Off - One of the best songs on the album. It's kinda STP's "Suckertrain Blues". Sounds like a track from my favorite album - Shangri-la.

Huckleberry Crumble - Another great song. Strongly reminds me of Aerosmith and even KISS during some parts. I'm absolutely in love with all of the "Alice In Wonderland" references. Great lyrics.

Hickory Dichotomy - Despite all of the hate towards the vocals in the verses from a lot of people, verses are actually my favorite parts of the song. I can listen to this song just to hear the verses.

Dare If You Dare - I have a mixed feelings about this one. Strongly reminds me of Elton John.

Cinnamon - I can see it as a radio hit. Absolutely in love with arrangement.

Hazy Daze - One of the best songs on the album. "Scott Weiland, the melody man" ©

Bagman - I love this song. I hated it at first, but now I think it's better than the lead single. Seriously. This song is awesome.

Peacoat - I think I need some time to realize if I like it or not.

Fast As I Can - the song contains one of my favorite hooks on the album. Definitely a single-worthy material.

First Kiss On Mars - Ok, this is the best track on the album. No doubt. Every time I listen to it I want to float away to the sky singing this song.

Maver - great catchy song. I wonder what name they replaced with the word "Maver".

Samba Nova - just like I thought, it is a completely new recording of the old demo. Even the vocal track is a new one. One of my favorite songs ever.

Overall, it's a great album. A new direction once again. It's definitely better than No.4 and fucking Core. But I'm not sure that any album can replace Shangri-la for me.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

bfoley4685

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 19, 2010, 09:58:04 AM »
Quote from: "Tyrant"
Between The Lines -The first single appeared to be a nice song. Just nice. Nothing less, nothing more. The video made me love the song a little bit more.

Take A Load Off - One of the best songs on the album. It's kinda STP's "Suckertrain Blues". Sounds like a track from my favorite album - Shangri-la.

Huckleberry Crumble - Another great song. Strongly reminds me of Aerosmith and even KISS during some parts. I'm absolutely in love with all of the "Alice In Wonderland" references. Great lyrics.

Hickory Dichotomy - Despite all of the hate towards the vocals in the verses from a lot of people, verses are actually my favorite parts of the song. I can listen to this song just to hear the verses.

Dare If You Dare - I have a mixed feelings about this one. Strongly reminds me of Elton John.

Cinnamon - I can see it as a radio hit. Absolutely in love with arrangement.

Hazy Daze - One of the best songs on the album. "Scott Weiland, the melody man" ©

Bagman - I love this song. I hated it at first, but now I think it's better than the lead single. Seriously. This song is awesome.

Peacoat - I think I need some time to realize if I like it or not.

Fast As I Can - the song contains one of my favorite hooks on the album. Definitely a single-worthy material.

First Kiss On Mars - Ok, this is the best track on the album. No doubt. Every time I listen to it I want to float away to the sky singing this song.

Maver - great catchy song. I wonder what name they replaced with the word "Maver".

Samba Nova - just like I thought, it is a completely new recording of the old demo. Even the vocal track is a new one. One of my favorite songs ever.

Overall, it's a great album. A new direction once again. It's definitely better than No.4 and fucking Core. But I'm not sure that any album can replace Shangri-la for me.

I agree with you on the first kiss on mars,I love it but don't you think they cut it short?? The vocal melody is amazing they really should have added a bridge or some sord of other layer. The songs ends way to soon for me.

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 19, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »
Quote from: "bfoley4685"
I agree with you on the first kiss on mars,I love it but don't you think they cut it short?? The vocal melody is amazing they really should have added a bridge or some sord of other layer. The songs ends way to soon for me.
I think it would have sounded even better if the ending was a fading out chorus or "Can we really find" line.These parts would have sounded great fading out..
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Sander Evers

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/squarexi
« Reply #267 on: May 19, 2010, 10:59:42 AM »
After a few listens:

Between the Lines           8.5/10
Take a Load Off               9.5/10
Huckleberry Crumble          9/10
Hickory Dichotomy              8/10
Bagman                            8/10
Peacoat                            7/10
Fast As I Can                 7.5/10
First Kiss On Mars          7.5/10
Samba Nova                  10/10    

I guess it will take some time to sink in..
I will listen to the four remaining songs when I own the Deluxe Edition :)
We hate the taste cause it tastes so good.Time to reconsider when your empty bag just gave you a look

STP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 19, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Quote from: "roughtumble"
On which song does Scott sound like Perry Farrell? I think Rik or somebody else mentioned something like that...
Hazy Daze.  It's more subtle but I can hear a Farrell influence, he kind of lifts some lines that Perry uses too.

On Take a Load Off between "50 and 1' as well, just after he sings the chorus.
Whatever they say I am, that's what I'm not!

Eijoo

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 19, 2010, 12:24:18 PM »
sTp is a well-rounded album...that's what make it unique in the 1st place. i couldn't ask for more. i give it an 11 out of 10 ;) (=^;^=)
Songs are emotions in sonic form and I had a lot of emotions at the time. And each of those emotions inspires its own sound."- Scott Weiland on recording "12 Bar Blues" album