September 19, 2024, 08:51:27 AM

Author Topic: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic  (Read 103622 times)

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: "Stone Temple Pilots" Reviews Topic
« Reply #225 on: May 14, 2010, 08:32:43 AM »
So Brett, Rik and Ivy and others who've already listened to the album, How does the album play out after several listens?? :) Grows on u like the prev albums? Lots of layers that weren't noticeable at first maybe? :)

hurtstotalktoyou

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 14, 2010, 11:59:08 AM »
I'm very much looking forward to that "whiff of country."  I liked hearing it on No.4 and Libertad.
my trading list[/url]
[url=http://comebac

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 16, 2010, 03:54:03 PM »
So now that I have listened to the new album a few times, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. No staying power I guess? Maybe I haven't listened to it as much because I'm limited in where I can listen to it. Maybe if I could listen to it in the car, I would be listening to it more. But even still, I have spent the last 4 days listening to other stuff when sitting at my computer and I wanted this album for, well, 8 years. Now that I have it and have heard it, I haven't found it interesting enough to go back.

Don't get me wrong. Some of the tracks are really well done.

Take A Load Off rocks, as does Hazy Daze, Peacoat and Fast As I Can. Those are by far my favorites.

After hearing the rest, including Between the Lines, Huckleberry Crumble, Hickory Dichotomy and Bagman, these are the real swings and misses. I think we all genuinely gravitate towards them because it's the first new STP we've heard but after hearing the rest, these 4 songs are actually pretty cheesy and laughable.

Cinnamon, Dare If You Dare, First Kiss On Mars and Maver are the more experimental songs. While these songs aren't bad, they haven't hit me enough and these are the songs I would call "growers." The more you listen, the more you'd either love them or hate them. Since I haven't really given this album a fair listen somewhere other than my computer, I will reserve my judgement for when I can listen in my car cranked on my Alpines while sitting in traffic.

I know this isn't a detailed track by track review, but the detail I did provide can likely be confirmed by Brett, Rik and Ivy as for how I described the album.

I really like the heavier stuff but am mixed on the others.

In my first week of streaming this thing maybe 8 or 10 times, I might give this album a 5 or 6 out of 10. The bright spots are really bright but there are some real stinkers on this album too.
Take it.

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
Quote from: "Vaporized"
So now that I have listened to the new album a few times, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. No staying power I guess? Maybe I haven't listened to it as much because I'm limited in where I can listen to it. Maybe if I could listen to it in the car, I would be listening to it more. But even still, I have spent the last 4 days listening to other stuff when sitting at my computer and I wanted this album for, well, 8 years. Now that I have it and have heard it, I haven't found it interesting enough to go back.

Take A Load Off rocks, as does Hazy Daze, Peacoat and Fast As I Can. Those are by far my favorites.

After hearing the rest, including Between the Lines, Huckleberry Crumble, Hickory Dichotomy and Bagman, these are the real swings and misses. I think we all genuinely gravitate towards them because it's the first new STP we've heard but after hearing the rest, these 4 songs are actually pretty cheesy and laughable.

Cinnamon, Dare If You Dare, First Kiss On Mars and Maver are the more experimental songs. While these songs aren't bad, they haven't hit me enough and these are the songs I would call "growers." The more you listen, the more you'd either love them or hate them. Since I haven't really given this album a fair listen somewhere other than my computer, I will reserve my judgement for when I can listen in my car cranked on my Alpines while sitting in traffic.

I know this isn't a detailed track by track review, but the detail I did provide can likely be confirmed by Brett, Rik and Ivy as for how I described the album.

In my first week of streaming this thing maybe 8 or 10 times, I might give this album a 5 or 6 out of 10. The bright spots are really bright but there are some real stinkers on this album too.

Thanks for the review!  

If you were to ask me the first 8-10 times I listened to Tiny or SLDD how the album was, I would of said average at best.  They are now my two fav STP albums.

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 16, 2010, 04:26:13 PM »
Quote from: "Stpilots98"

Thanks for the review!  

If you were to ask me the first 8-10 times I listened to Tiny or SLDD how the album was, I would of said average at best.  They are now my two fav STP albums.

Yup thanks for the review Vaporized. :) If its a grower, it works for me :)

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2010, 04:32:13 PM »

Thanks for the review!  

I understand that, and that's why I said that a few of those songs may be growers and I'll wait to reserve judgement. They could end up being favorites of mine some day. But for right now, I don't love them or hate them.

I realize that over the years, I have grown a little tired of STP and Scott's antics and I don't drink the same STP Kool Aid as many of you folks do. I have moved on from the days of JUST being an STP fan. My music collection has grown exponentially since the days of when I strictly listened to STP and maybe a few other 90's bands. While STP was on hiatus, I got into many styles and types of music and I have accepted the fact that it could just be me, and that STP's 'brand' of rock may not appeal to me as much as it did, or as much as it may appeal to others. I also know in my heart that the STP live show will NEVER be what it was in the days that I saw them back in the mid-90's and early 2000's. I also realize that was many years ago.

While I was VERY excited when I heard the news of STP back together and recording, I had to control my excitement because I wasn't sure what we would all get as the guys have all changed over the years, as have my tastes. While this is not a bad effort, it's also something I'm glad I was not expecting the world of so I wasn't let down by it.

Like I said, there are some really great songs on this album, I'm just glad they are also opening the archives and giving us a few rarities that I already know I like because now I feel like I have 9 or 10 REALLY great new tracks, and not just 4 or 5.

You guys will all have your own opinions once you hear the album. Maybe I will be the only one honest enough to admit my true feelings. I'm not afraid to admit to anyone that the 4 songs YOU all have heard are actually quite terrible. (The good thing is that there are some really great songs on this album to redeem themselves and there are also some other songs that could end up being great, classic and most adventurous songs.
Take it.

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2010, 04:40:44 PM »

Thanks for the review!  

I understand that, and that's why I said that a few of those songs may be growers and I'll wait to reserve judgement. They could end up being favorites of mine some day. But for right now, I don't love them or hate them.

I realize that over the years, I have grown a little tired of STP and Scott's antics and I don't drink the same STP Kool Aid as many of you folks do. I have moved on from the days of JUST being an STP fan. My music collection has grown exponentially since the days of when I strictly listened to STP and maybe a few other 90's bands. While STP was on hiatus, I got into many styles and types of music and I have accepted the fact that it could just be me, and that STP's 'brand' of rock may not appeal to me as much as it did, or as much as it may appeal to others. I also know in my heart that the STP live show will NEVER be what it was in the days that I saw them back in the mid-90's and early 2000's. I also realize that was many years ago.

While I was VERY excited when I heard the news of STP back together and recording, I had to control my excitement because I wasn't sure what we would all get as the guys have all changed over the years, as have my tastes. While this is not a bad effort, it's also something I'm glad I was not expecting the world of so I wasn't let down by it.

Like I said, there are some really great songs on this album, I'm just glad they are also opening the archives and giving us a few rarities that I already know I like because now I feel like I have 9 or 10 REALLY great new tracks, and not just 4 or 5.

You guys will all have your own opinions once you hear the album. Maybe I will be the only one honest enough to admit my true feelings. I'm not afraid to admit to anyone that the 4 songs YOU all have heard are actually quite terrible. (The good thing is that there are some really great songs on this album to redeem themselves and there are also some other songs that could end up being great, classic and most adventurous songs.

Yeah man appreciate the honesty. I'm glad someone else doesn't just like everything STP does because it is STP and isn't blind to Scott's antics.  I did however have high hopes because they have always gotten it right in my book.  Hey AIC definitely got it right after all this time off and a new singer.

ralphtheman23

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »
I wasn't too impressed with some of the tracks we've heard so far but they've really started to grow on me.  Some of their previous songs were the same way for me but now I pretty much love each and every one of them.  Thanks for your honesty in your review and I can't wait to hear the whole thing myself!

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2010, 04:54:17 PM »

Thanks for the review!  

Yeah man appreciate the honesty. I'm glad someone else doesn't just like everything STP does because it is STP and isn't blind to Scott's antics.  I did however have high hopes because they have always gotten it right in my book.  Hey AIC definitely got it right after all this time off and a new singer.

Speaking of AIC, Peacoat at around 1:42-1:44 on the previews has a distinct AIC feel to it, with Dean's sort of wah'ish sound in the right speaker coupled with a distinct chord change.  Excellent tune too!
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

facepollution

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2010, 04:59:57 PM »
Quote from: "Ivy"
My favorite tracks are towards the end of the album. “First Kiss on Mars,” has a main riff that brings to mind Smashing Pumpkin’s “1979” while Weiland and the gang channel their inner David Bowie to make this one a roll-the-windows-down-and-drive fast kind of song, and one of the album’s strongest moments.

Wow, just read this, and even from only hearing the 30 second sample, 1979 is the song that immediately came to mind - definitely the song I'm most excited to hear at the moment.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2010, 05:16:43 PM »
Quote from: "facepollution"
Quote from: "Ivy"
My favorite tracks are towards the end of the album. “First Kiss on Mars,” has a main riff that brings to mind Smashing Pumpkin’s “1979” while Weiland and the gang channel their inner David Bowie to make this one a roll-the-windows-down-and-drive fast kind of song, and one of the album’s strongest moments.

Wow, just read this, and even from only hearing the 30 second sample, 1979 is the song that immediately came to mind - definitely the song I'm most excited to hear at the moment.

I really don't like the hoo hoo hoo hooo hooo-ing in the song. Totally NOT needed and annoying to me. If it wasn't for that, even though it only happens like 2 or 3 time, I might like it better.
Take it.

facepollution

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2010, 05:31:57 PM »
I really don't like the hoo hoo hoo hooo hooo-ing in the song. Totally NOT needed and annoying to me. If it wasn't for that, even though it only happens like 2 or 3 time, I might like it better.

I don't think those bits are in the 30 second clip.  Still, I just like the vibe of it from what I've heard, I love those driving mid-tempo type of songs.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 16, 2010, 05:58:34 PM »
Im not suprised that this album is a grower, due to the different direction they seem to be going in.  Aside from BTL the other songs on amazon have all taken me several spins to really like them.

ralphtheman23

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 16, 2010, 06:05:19 PM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
Im not suprised that this album is a grower, due to the different direction they seem to be going in.  Aside from BTL the other songs on amazon have all taken me several spins to really like them.

Hickory Dichotomy is the only one that I loved right away.  But all the others have really, really grown on me.  BTL has been stuck in my head for weeks now.

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2010, 06:49:38 PM »
Quote from: "ralphtheman23"
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"

Hickory Dichotomy is the only one that I loved right away.  But all the others have really, really grown on me.  BTL has been stuck in my head for weeks now.

Huckleberry Crumble worked 4 me like how HD works for u :) Though HD's the least favourite one right now, Maybe ill just give it the kind of listening i gave to HC and itll b up there too :D