September 20, 2024, 02:33:20 AM

Author Topic: Bagman  (Read 15135 times)

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bagman
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 03:35:26 PM »
I dont particularly like the chorus but I like everything else, have you looked at the real lyrics..  Pretty awesome
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 03:37:20 PM »
Ive like this song pretty much from the start.  Its got a real sweet groove to it.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

robschmidt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »
So catchy, I love it. The lyrics are a little ehh, but I can deal. I think its sequence in the album is perfect. This short and sweet trippy song is right between the two hardest songs (IMO)- Hazy Daze and Peacoat.
--Rob--

Pruno

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2010, 03:55:44 PM »
I love Dean's solo in this song, how the song pauses for a second then you hear that great guitar sound, it gives me chills....  Can't wait to hear this live.    BAGMAN SHUGA!!!!

I was really impressed, too with how great Hickory sounds live on the VH1 special.  And Scott is right, it has that swampy Louisana country-blues vibe to it.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 05:00:02 PM »
Quote from: "therealcaptain40"
Poor 'Bagman.' This song has got to be one of the most hated STP songs...ever. Should be a single...NOT!

I don't know everyone is dissing the Bagman. I've dug it since day one.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

nroma05

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 04:22:50 PM »
eh, song is ok seems alittle filler.

mjedryk

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »
Very catchy song, one of my favourites.

When I was listening to it first time on my Sansa, I didn't read the title and all I've heard was: "batman honey, batman sugar"  ;D

blueviper

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 06:58:28 PM »
Loved it the first time I streamed it on Amazon.com

blueviper

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 07:43:38 PM »
I love the beginning with the rolling drums directly into "Bagman honey!"  The song is such a driving force.

unglued24

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 08:05:10 PM »
Quote from: "blueviper"
I love the beginning with the rolling drums directly into "Bagman honey!"  The song is such a driving force.

This one just keeps growing and growing on me!

The more I think about it, I believe "bagman" is the universal symbol for what we know in our culture as "the devil".

The reason for the name "bagman" is that this chracter does not limit himself to one appearance, but is known around the world by various cultures in different forms.

The "bagman" seems to show up when people aren't "careful with their vices" and "do what they want".

I love the part in the song when Scott sings "there was a dream, that said we would be free, but now is the time to be real...". I believe this line means that we all have a dream to be free but we also need to be realistic and admit when freedom becomes destructive.

Anyways, beautiful song. As someone else previously said, I could listen to Scott sing "honey" and "sugar" all day long...
"What is the truth? What is reality? Your truth, your knowledge, that becomes your truth, becomes the reality...figure it out for yourself..." Scott Weiland

timryanokane

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 09:44:23 PM »
I hated this song when I first heard it, and I still don't think it plays well on it's own, but in the context of the album sequencing it is strengthened by it's lead-in song and the song after it.  In that context I think it's great.

blueviper

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 10:30:12 PM »
Quote from: blueviper
I love the beginning with the rolling drums directly into "Bagman honey!"  The song is such a driving force.

This one just keeps growing and growing on me!

The more I think about it, I believe "bagman" is the universal symbol for what we know in our culture as "the devil".

The reason for the name "bagman" is that this chracter does not limit himself to one appearance, but is known around the world by various cultures in different forms.

The "bagman" seems to show up when people aren't "careful with their vices" and "do what they want".

I love the part in the song when Scott sings "there was a dream, that said we would be free, but now is the time to be real...". I believe this line means that we all have a dream to be free but we also need to be realistic and admit when freedom becomes destructive.

Anyways, beautiful song. As someone else previously said, I could listen to Scott sing "honey" and "sugar" all day long...

I really like your interpretation of the song! 

zhitl

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2010, 07:09:11 PM »
Is this song about drugs? i mean, Bagman who is not a trevling salesman, but some sleezy guy.And Honey and Sugar.Well, Honey is brown and sugar is white..smack and cocaine. ;D think about it
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 07:13:05 PM by zhitl »

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2010, 07:18:56 PM »
Quote from: JugeSTP
so the "bagman" is the actual guy that puts a body bag over you when you die?

I believe a Bagman is someone who collects money for the mob. So I think the songs is about how much you lose-- money and spirit-- when you act on your vices.
drugs come in a bag, it is a dealer =)
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2010, 03:32:05 PM »
Bagman gets some love and makes an interesting mixtape list

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100624/ENTERTAINMENT/6250305
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"