September 20, 2024, 02:00:49 AM

Author Topic: STP lost their Hard Rock Spark?  (Read 41002 times)

jackworx

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: What happened STP?!!!
« Reply #210 on: May 31, 2010, 08:29:08 PM »
Quote from: "Mechstar"
I don't think its unreasonable for some one to dislike the album. I really like a good amount of songs on the album, and I think you can see the work that went into it. But keep in mind  everyone has been listening to playlists of their favorite STP songs for the past month. STP is a great band, but you can't expect a band to have a CD full of singles, it doesn't happen that way. Also, STP has been apart for awhile. Scott did the VR thing and then his solo album, on his solo album there was a LOT of pop stuff, its something he likes to write and sing. Old STP was very poppy too, nearly every band from the "grunge movement" wrote pop songs. I think this album will grow on everyone. You listened to it the first time with really high expectations, you have to give songs a chance sometimes. But if you don't like it, that's fine. I'm not here to convince people to like it, everyone likes different stuff.

This is what I think pop music should sound like.

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 31, 2010, 08:30:37 PM »
Quote from: "Lazy Divey"
People looking for a Core 2.0 need to get out of the 90s already.   ::)

On a milder note...I love your avatar! I might have to steal it.

NoMemory_Sin

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 03, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »
I love the new album!!! Thank you STP for keeping releasing good music!!! You guys are very talented! and... I love all your albums, and after listening this one, I think I've appreciated Shangri La Dee Da even more! Now I'm a STP fan that thinks all their 6 albums are solid!!!
CORPORATE MEDIA STILL SUCK

peteswell

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 05, 2010, 05:04:42 PM »
If this album is filled with pop songs, I guess the only rock music that is not pop is metal.  Just because a song is catchy does not necessarily mean it is pop. Stone Temple Pilots is a great rock album.

AustinCarstens

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 12, 2010, 06:07:15 PM »
(First, sorry about my bad english, i'm not an english speaker)
I'm a huge fan of stp since 1994, when i was 15 years old.
got all their albums and they are my favorite band.
I love all 5 albums, but the real STP for me, is the unpredictable artsy band
that gave us songs like:
bi-polar bear, black again, hello it's late, about a fool, big bang baby, lady picture show,
trippin', and so i know, seven caged tigers, pruno, church on tuesday etc.
No doubt that they are the most creative and adventurous band
from the whole grunge movement.
UNTILL THE NEW S/T ALBUM
This album is everything that STP are not - predictable, cheesy, poppy (in a bad way),
commercial, no creativity or thought, just generic rock music,
nothing special about this album.
I almost cried when i first listened to 'cinnamon' - and not from happiness.
or 'maver' - it sounds cheesy, almost like a Bon jovi song.
The rest of the songs on the album are Ok, but if i want an Ok music - i can put the last counting crows album on.
I'm sorry, but that's how i feel, i'm waiting for this album for almost a dacade,
what a disappointment...

I kind of agree with you. To a small extent. Some of the songs can be hard to listen to for STP ROCK fans. STP always changes there style up though and that's just how it is. I will say a couple things that bugged me we're how in take a load off when "take a load off " is sung it's always kinda seeming random. Just kinda bugs me. still a good song. I loved the cd although it would probably be in 5th place if I ranked all of the cds. One reason is "Peacoat" that song just bugged me. I understand it's about his son, but the lyrics just really cheese me out. Especially when the song starts and riff starts, it totally sounded like a song off of tiny music or purple and I was pumped. Maver is beautiful song but it is quite a bit cheesy. I hope to god they use first kiss on mars as a single instead of maver. Although I still loved the cd and STP is still back. Rejoice and be glad in it.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2010, 05:46:30 PM »
I think people that are looking for Core again…really only want that baritone vocal from Scott more than anything else.
I think generally that is people refer to when talking about what makes a song “Core-esque” or not.
I really don’t believe that the music is the issue.

For example, my buddy is one of those that keep waiting for Core or Purple again (he's still waiting for Ten part 2 also)…and he just can’t get past Scott’s most recent voice, which he refers to as Tiny Music and Libertad voice. I guess it’s the more nasally sound (for lack of a better description). He likes the older, thicker tone, from here on now known as the Core voice (for this post anyway)

I told him, Scott hasn’t sounded like that SINCE Core…
But he insists that SLDD had some songs in which the Core voice appears…and on All In The Suit That You Wear as well…even the first VR album.
I know what he’s saying, but I tell him, even on the more recent “Core voice” songs, it’s NOT the same voice. He’s grown, evolved, etc. Plus Scott has always been a voice shape shifter…I love that about him…and even on Purple (which nobody complains about), his voice is not redundant throughout the record…

I don’t know where I’m going with this but the point is, the haters will come out for this album more so if they want the “Core voice” because it doesn’t appear.
But I’m loving the album…and I hope we get many more.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

SourBeagle

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2010, 10:55:44 PM »
On the subject of Scott's voice, it has been different since Tiny Music.  Scott's my favorite vocalist, and the core-Purplr era is what really does it for me, but I don't think his later vocals are bad, just different.  More nasaly and higher.  I heard an interview with him where he said he tried different vocal styles on purpose, like David Bowie.  I still think it has something to do with his weight and age. 

One of the things I love about STP is that they do change up their style.  All the great bands didn't/don't rest on making the same albums over and over.  Like the majority of us here, they love music and want to (I assume) keep trying new things and pushing themselves.  I've read interviews where Scott's describing songs on the new album as Aerosmith-esque, Joy Division, Beatles, ect (I don't hear the Joy Division ??? ), showing that he and the band just love various music.  I am thrilled that they seem to still have a passion for the art of album making.  I may not like it all (I do love the new album, though), and not everyone has to, but I feel greatful that a band that means so much to me seems to still love what they do.  If they didn't, they'd change the key of Vasoline and re-release it.  I think it shows the fans respect that they give us something new.

And the album's not been out a month yet, give some of the songs time, they may grow on you.
“The news reports said I’d torched $10,000 worth of Scott’s clothes, which was wrong by a factor of eight. He was somewhat insulted at their estimate: ‘Eighty thousand dollars, Mary,’ he said later.”

jjbsn5192

• Pilot
  • 7 Caged Tigers
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 19, 2010, 10:23:06 PM »
that gave us songs like:
bi-polar bear, black again, hello it's late, about a fool, big bang baby, lady picture show,
UNTILL THE NEW S/T ALBUM
This album is everything that STP are not - predictable, cheesy, poppy (in a bad way),
The rest of the songs on the album are Ok, but if i want an Ok music - i can put the last counting crows album on.
I'm sorry, but that's how i feel, i'm waiting for this album for almost a dacade,
what a disappointment...

i disagree.. i think this new album is amazing

it reminds of bowie meets aerosmith
then comes around to tiny music and back out to shangri
its one of the greatest rock albums i have heard of this generation yet
" I have to return some video tapes "

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 19, 2010, 11:54:58 PM »
that gave us songs like:
UNTILL THE NEW S/T ALBUM
what a disappointment...

It could be a type of homage thing, too. You can definitely see how passionate Scott is about music, especially with the artists he has great admiration for.

It could also not necessarily be an homage, but a non rip-off type of inspiration.
Water summons wind...wind makes fire dance...

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 20, 2010, 12:44:12 AM »
That dude crying obviously didnt give the album a chance to grow before those comments.  gaurenteed,   I too wasnt feeling at first but now the album is a near constant rotation and has been since it came out, it really is a great disc.

jjbsn5192

• Pilot
  • 7 Caged Tigers
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 20, 2010, 01:20:26 AM »
that gave us songs like:
UNTILL THE NEW S/T ALBUM
what a disappointment...

It could be a type of homage thing, too. You can definitely see how passionate Scott is about music, especially with the artists he has great admiration for.

It could also not necessarily be an homage, but a non rip-off type of inspiration.

Exactly

i love that kind of strange music to be honest.. i think the weirder the better
check out the verves first album

A Storm in heaven

thats what acid creates.. and let me tell you what
those sounds on that record are masterpieces.

:)

" I have to return some video tapes "

luvmesomestp

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 06, 2010, 05:40:20 AM »
I can understand why stp fans at first "didn't get" this album since many of the sounds the band created on it are new but i guarantee that when you listen to it a second time you will fall in love with the entire album.  i did!  i heard between the lines for the first time on the stern show and i liked it but i really was intrigued by the second song stern played which was hickory dichotomy. i ran out and bought the album and spent the entire night listening over and over again to it.  i think this album is their best (or perhaps 2nd best after purple, so many good songs on that one!) because the time apart and maturity has fine-tuned their sound.  weiland as usual has one of the most amazing voices ever to sing rock but they all just sound so much more improved.  it  may be because they all recorded the songs by themselves, whatever it was, it worked.  what is most impressive about stone temple pilots is how different the songs are and how they cut out the fat from their music.  the songs all hover around 3 minutes and man do they pop! i love this band so much and i hope they don't break up again, you guys are the s**t!   i can't wait for them to come to so cal

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 06, 2010, 05:49:36 AM »
I can understand why stp fans at first "didn't get" this album since many of the sounds the band created on it are new but i guarantee that when you listen to it a second time you will fall in love with the entire album.  i did!  i heard between the lines for the first time on the stern show and i liked it but i really was intrigued by the second song stern played which was hickory dichotomy. i ran out and bought the album and spent the entire night listening over and over again to it.  i think this album is their best (or perhaps 2nd best after purple, so many good songs on that one!) because the time apart and maturity has fine-tuned their sound.  weiland as usual has one of the most amazing voices ever to sing rock but they all just sound so much more improved.  it  may be because they all recorded the songs by themselves, whatever it was, it worked.  what is most impressive about stone temple pilots is how different the songs are and how they cut out the fat from their music.  the songs all hover around 3 minutes and man do they pop! i love this band so much and i hope they don't break up again, you guys are the s**t!   i can't wait for them to come to so cal

Welcome to the board.  Great user name.   And I agree, especially about  So. Cal, hope they play a bunch of the new songs live.

luvmesomestp

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 07, 2010, 05:35:06 AM »
thanks bro!  this board is awesome, i thought i was a huge STP fan, but I don't hold a candle to most of you. i've been listening to STP non-stop for a month now, i'm glad to see so many other STP addicts exist out there

Loungefly

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 08, 2010, 08:59:35 PM »
I love a grower and that definitely describes the new album.

The only track I don't like is Cinammon.

Scot has always written short repetitive verses and a Bagman,Maver and Cinamon seem to suffer a little for being repetitive.

As a whole though the album is unmistakably STP. Dean and Robert are the most amazing combination of rythm and riffs I've ever heard.