September 20, 2024, 12:09:18 AM

Author Topic: STP lost their Hard Rock Spark?  (Read 40996 times)

forsbergisgod

• Arrival
    • View Profile
Re: What happened STP?!!!
« Reply #195 on: May 28, 2010, 09:33:53 PM »
Quote from: "RCLAR"
Dare If You Dare's chorus is too much like All The Young Dudes (which Green Day also borrowed their 21 Guns chorus line from) for me to completely like it. It may be the only track I skip on a regular basis.

I also hear a lot of "Sowing the Seeds of Love" by Tears for Fears

This album has a very 80s feel...What's Old is new!  Stone Temple Pilots the band.  Old.  Stone Temple Pilots the album?  New!

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 29, 2010, 01:29:58 AM »
Quote from: "wayne gretzky"
I just dont get people who are disising the album whove heard it only once or twice.

People do that a lot, whether music or art. I'm sure a lot of people heard one single from this album and started dissing it.
Water summons wind...wind makes fire dance...

Bugaha

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 29, 2010, 02:47:06 AM »
I just dont get people who are disising the album whove heard it only once or twice.

I have heard the album maybe 2 or 3 times. I just cannot get the urge to listen again. But I have been bumping Tiny Music a lot lately.

artcrimestudios

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 29, 2010, 07:59:07 AM »
It is the nature of society these days...look at IMDB. ANY movie that comes out or is about to come out instantly gets haters. Everything old was perfect and everything new sucks. This doesn't apply to everyone of course but I do think that we as a whole expect too much too fast. The moment I heard the single my initial reaction was eh...then I listened to it again after I put away comparisons and gave it a fair listen I decided I dug it a lot. Same thing with Bagman. Somethings just take time to sink in especially when expectations are so high.
Sometimes I think that I can kill the world
If just for a day
but I\'d just be stuck with myself again
And I don\'t think I wanna be my only friend

artcrimestudios

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 29, 2010, 08:03:53 AM »
Quote from: "Bugaha"
Quote from: "artcrimestudios"
Quote from: "Bugaha"
I agree with the original post. The album is too safe and does not take any risks the way STP used to do it.

It's basically a cliche album of Aerosmith, Beatles, and Zeppelin-esque tunes.

I gotta respectfully disagree. Yes it is a mix of all the bands you listed above (don't forget Bowie!) but I think what makes it not safe is its attempt to be a timeless record. When I listen to this album I think  STP dared to make a record that could sit on the shelf proudly with anything the above artist put out. That is not safe. Same would be to make Core and cash in on nostalgia. I've only given this album a couple of listens through but I might say its their most seamless album they've put out.

There is a line between being inspired and influenced by other bands AND copying their style to a point where you are just basically doing impressions of that band. I think STP crossed that line on quite a few songs on this album.
I wouldn't say they crossed it but I see your point there are a couple of songs were they come right up to that line and balance over the edge ;)     Still, Weiland is always Weiland and although he chews up influences more than anyone he always has that distinct voice that is unmistakeably his own.
Sometimes I think that I can kill the world
If just for a day
but I\'d just be stuck with myself again
And I don\'t think I wanna be my only friend

SonofOdin

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 29, 2010, 10:22:46 AM »
i listened to the entire album constantly since tuesday. i like it...but it's the worst album they have made. the first 4-5 songs are good but don't hold a candle to the first 4-5 songs off the rest of their albums. dare if u dare is the most embarrassing song they have written. i don't feel the same energy with this album.  it's not even close as being as good as army of anyone's solo album and contraband or libertad. but still better than most stuff out there. the boys have lost their edge. despite not having layne, musically the new aic record is freaking awesome, if it had layne's vocals it would be their second best album. but jerry, mike, and sean still made something special and not lost their edge.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 29, 2010, 04:39:07 PM »
1.  Im really liking the new album, although it did take a good 5 spins to really get into it
2. Why is Tiny Music poppy? Aside from Lady Picture Show name me one "poppy" song on it?
3. AIC new album doesnt compare with Jar of FLies, Dirt, even "Tripod" musically or as a whole .  Ive got tired of that album real quick and actually gave it away.  

And whats with all the "edge" speak?  Can you be specific?
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

MadPieceOfPie

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 29, 2010, 05:04:33 PM »
Quote from: "SonofOdin"
i listened to the entire album constantly since tuesday. i like it...but it's the worst album they have made. the first 4-5 songs are good but don't hold a candle to the first 4-5 songs off the rest of their albums. dare if u dare is the most embarrassing song they have written. i don't feel the same energy with this album.  it's not even close as being as good as army of anyone's solo album and contraband or libertad. but still better than most stuff out there. the boys have lost their edge. despite not having layne, musically the new aic record is freaking awesome, if it had layne's vocals it would be their second best album. but jerry, mike, and sean still made something special and not lost their edge.

The new AIC album has the same sound as all their other ones. That's not "special" at all. They just took old songs and gave them a little different twist. It's a rehash album. At least STP has managed to add new sounding songs to each of their albums and not remained having the same old boring sound. In fact, their new album is my favorite STP album. I think it is a great come back album and don't think any of the songs are "embarrassing" but in fact I think all the songs are written masterfully. That's the mark of a great band that can continue to write new sounding songs and not just take old material and rewrite it.

I'm going to say this as so many of us have said before. If you want STP's new albums to sound like any of their previous albums just listen to those albums instead because they are never going to rewrite old material and become boring.

mmmm pork chops

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 29, 2010, 08:25:01 PM »
I'm kinda a new forum member here and also a relatively new fan, only got into them 4 years ago, but it is glaringly obvious that instead of creating a signature STP record they have made a record that sounds like anything but STP.
Personally my favourite is Peacoat but it sure is a far cry from the days of Piece of Pie

randallanddarcy

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2010, 02:39:53 AM »
Quote from: "purple man"
I almost cried when i first listened to 'cinnamon' - and not from happiness.
I love this. Brilliant.

And to whoever said PJ continually make the same LP over and over: that's plain untrue. PJ are my main musical love (I've seen them live 52 times), but they've done some terrible stuff...and some amazing stuff...and it's not all the same...
STP: August 21 and 23 2001. June 14 and 16 2010.
VR: Jan 2005, June 2005, March 2008.

nroma05

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »
Nothing happened they do different things. diversity

Garrett

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2010, 06:25:45 PM »
I'm confused... this album is not a dramatic departure for STP.

BirdDawg581

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2010, 05:43:49 PM »
I know some other STP fans in person, and some of them were disappointed with the new album.  I think they were expecting another Core or something.  Personally I love the new album.  If I wanted another Core, I'd just listen to Core!  I can see all the progression here with this album and it brings something new to the table and the STP catalog, and this album really has fit my mood as of late... My favorite album of the year so far....
When you\'re looking for something, it\'s in the suit that you wear.

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »
People looking for a Core 2.0 need to get out of the 90s already.   ::)

Mechstar

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2010, 06:59:14 PM »
I don't think its unreasonable for some one to dislike the album. I really like a good amount of songs on the album, and I think you can see the work that went into it. But keep in mind  everyone has been listening to playlists of their favorite STP songs for the past month. STP is a great band, but you can't expect a band to have a CD full of singles, it doesn't happen that way. Also, STP has been apart for awhile. Scott did the VR thing and then his solo album, on his solo album there was a LOT of pop stuff, its something he likes to write and sing. Old STP was very poppy too, nearly every band from the "grunge movement" wrote pop songs. I think this album will grow on everyone. You listened to it the first time with really high expectations, you have to give songs a chance sometimes. But if you don't like it, that's fine. I'm not here to convince people to like it, everyone likes different stuff.
email me if downloads ever stop working