September 20, 2024, 12:08:41 AM

Author Topic: STP lost their Hard Rock Spark?  (Read 40995 times)

Bugaha

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
Re: What happened STP?!!!
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2010, 10:26:43 PM »
Quote from: "Sklashboombash"
Quote from: "RangerJim"
I don't want any gossip girl type fans all of sudden liking STP

I never understood this kind of sentiment. There's enough room in any band's fanbase for many different people to like that band. And one may argue that the more fans & success the band has, the happier they may be and want to continue.

I'm not saying that SLDD's poor sales were the cause for Scott going off to VR, but I'm sure it helped. I get the whole "I want this band to be mine", but that's unrealistic. I wish that STP got their deserved acclaim.

I think what he really meant is he doesn't want the "Gossip Girl" crowd the band's target audience.

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2010, 10:32:51 PM »
Quote from: "Bugaha"

I never understood this kind of sentiment. There's enough room in any band's fanbase for many different people to like that band. And one may argue that the more fans & success the band has, the happier they may be and want to continue.

I'm not saying that SLDD's poor sales were the cause for Scott going off to VR, but I'm sure it helped. I get the whole "I want this band to be mine", but that's unrealistic. I wish that STP got their deserved acclaim.

I think what he really meant is he doesn't want the "Gossip Girl" crowd the band's target audience.

Thanks, yes that's what I ment in one way or another.
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

DumbLove

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2010, 11:45:51 PM »
I think that the last 2 albums (Libertad and Stone Temple Pilots) that Scott Weiland has been involved with as a BAND MEMBER, have been very similar in terms of vocal style and songwriting approach. They have both been very linear and poppy. However, I think that Happy in Galoshes was one of the best projects that Scott Weiland has done. Maybe Scott's muse is now with Douglas Grean and not with a limited band.

What exactly is your definition of "poppy"?  HiG as a whole by far sounds more like pop music than both Libertad and Stone Temple Pilots.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of all 3 albums, but Libertad especially is a rock record from beginning to end.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2010, 12:18:36 AM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
I think that the last 2 albums (Libertad and Stone Temple Pilots) that Scott Weiland has been involved with as a BAND MEMBER, have been very similar in terms of vocal style and songwriting approach. They have both been very linear and poppy. However, I think that Happy in Galoshes was one of the best projects that Scott Weiland has done. Maybe Scott's muse is now with Douglas Grean and not with a limited band.
Couldn't disagree with you more.  The best music Scott has ever made, and the best music Scott will make in the future is with the DeLeo brothers and Eric Kretz.  Happy has some good songs but gets far too unfocused and self indulgent.  See "Fame" cover.  That's why I find it ironic that Scott referred to Happy as a more focused record than 12 Bar Blues, when I actually believe it's the complete opposite.
I've always felt that way too. Except for a couple songs, I almost never listen to Happy, whereas ALL of 12 Bar Blues I still find very enjoyable to listen to. It's definitely much more cohesive then Happy, and in practically every way, clearly the better album of the two.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2010, 12:30:17 AM »
I don't think this album will sell as well as any other STP disc. This might be their poorest seller, but we shall see. I can see this album fading out pretty quick, but thats just my guess.

Of course, its easier to download now than it was when SLDD came out.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Bugaha

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2010, 02:54:12 AM »
Quote from: "DumbLove"

What exactly is your definition of "poppy"?  HiG as a whole by far sounds more like pop music than both Libertad and Stone Temple Pilots.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of all 3 albums, but Libertad especially is a rock record from beginning to end.

My definition of "poppy" means that song is more hook oriented. A melody that's focused on being catchy and memorable to the listener. It's for the short attention-spanned music listener. Notice how Top 40 music is fully catchy lines like "Imma Bee" by Black Eyed Peas. Not saying that Stone Temple Pilots (the album) is that extreme.

To each their own. I prefer a more of an eclectic indie-esque STP/Scott Weiland sound like Tiny Music and Happy in Galoshes.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2010, 03:24:17 AM »
My definition of "poppy" means that song is more hook oriented. A melody that's focused on being catchy and memorable to the listener.

Hook oriented? Catchy? Memorable melodies? Welcome to STP... since day one.
Scott is one of the greatest melody makers around. Even Tiny Music, as you mentioned, is filled with catchy hooks, song after song.

Scott has said it time and time again, that is part of his make up - pop sensibilities.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Bugaha

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2010, 03:46:19 AM »
My definition of "poppy" means that song is more hook oriented. A melody that's focused on being catchy and memorable to the listener.

Hook oriented? Catchy? Memorable melodies? Welcome to STP... since day one.
Scott is one of the greatest melody makers around. Even Tiny Music, as you mentioned, is filled with catchy hooks, song after song.

Scott has said it time and time again, that is part of his make up - pop sensibilities.

To an extent, Tiny Music was hook oriented but it was not linear. It was very diverse, experimental, and artsy. Self titled is linear and cliche.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2010, 04:58:22 PM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
I've always felt that way too. Except for a couple songs, I almost never listen to Happy, whereas ALL of 12 Bar Blues I still find very enjoyable to listen to. It's definitely much more cohesive then Happy, and in practically every way, clearly the better album of the two.

That's what happens when you record an album over a period of ten years. It won't flow at all. I have more personal favorites off of Happy, but it's plain as day that 12BB is more focused much more cohesive.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

goduffgo

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2010, 01:43:05 AM »
every stp album is and should be differant...

artcrimestudios

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2010, 02:03:37 AM »
Quote from: "unglued24"
Don't blaime Scott for this albums sound. While Scott's vocals certainly didn't blow me away, he was only working with what he was given... He had nothing to do with that process, it was all Rob and Dean. They are the ones who wrote the bubble-gum pop tunes like Cinamon, First Kiss on Mars, and Maver.

ALSO Anyone who compares those 3 tracks to ANYTHING the Beatles did must be referring to McCartney's bubblegum pop and not Lennon's straight forward rock...

Straight rock like "Penny Lane"?
Sometimes I think that I can kill the world
If just for a day
but I\'d just be stuck with myself again
And I don\'t think I wanna be my only friend

artcrimestudios

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 26, 2010, 02:15:42 AM »
I agree with the original post. The album is too safe and does not take any risks the way STP used to do it.

It's basically a cliche album of Aerosmith, Beatles, and Zeppelin-esque tunes.

I gotta respectfully disagree. Yes it is a mix of all the bands you listed above (don't forget Bowie!) but I think what makes it not safe is its attempt to be a timeless record. When I listen to this album I think  STP dared to make a record that could sit on the shelf proudly with anything the above artist put out. That is not safe. Same would be to make Core and cash in on nostalgia. I've only given this album a couple of listens through but I might say its their most seamless album they've put out.
If just for a day

unglued24

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2010, 02:20:09 AM »
Quote from: "artcrimestudios"
Don't blaime Scott for this albums sound. While Scott's vocals certainly didn't blow me away, he was only working with what he was given... He had nothing to do with that process, it was all Rob and Dean. They are the ones who wrote the bubble-gum pop tunes like Cinamon, First Kiss on Mars, and Maver.

ALSO Anyone who compares those 3 tracks to ANYTHING the Beatles did must be referring to McCartney's bubblegum pop and not Lennon's straight forward rock...

Penny Lane was a McCartney song...

"Penny Lane" is a song by The Beatles, written by Paul McCartney and credited to Lennon/McCartney." Wikipedia.com
"What is the truth? What is reality? Your truth, your knowledge, that becomes your truth, becomes the reality...figure it out for yourself..." Scott Weiland

artcrimestudios

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 26, 2010, 02:21:27 AM »

Plus don't mostly girls like Gossip Girl?....Probably at least a few of them are attractive...Who doesn't want more attractive girls in STP gear? ???
If just for a day

artcrimestudios

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 26, 2010, 02:22:24 AM »
Quote from: "artcrimestudios"

Penny Lane was a McCartney song...

"Penny Lane" is a song by The Beatles, written by Paul McCartney and credited to Lennon/McCartney." Wikipedia.com

Touche Salesman Touche
If just for a day