September 20, 2024, 12:17:47 AM

Author Topic: STP lost their Hard Rock Spark?  (Read 41000 times)

Gettinbroady

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Re: What happened STP?!!!
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2010, 12:26:09 AM »
Alittle disappointed. just alittle
**Signature image too large**

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2010, 12:27:08 AM »
Quote from: "Gettinbroady"
i'm going to have to agree with the non english guy..i like the album but it wont stick. i like every song on every album but this one a can kick half off my ipod. (PS i'm not trying to be a dick or anything there is alot of good songs on the album but) the album is just alittle to different for me

I was just like you negative reviewers all day yesterday and the night before, but it only took one night for my mind to change and to listen intently to the instrumentation on the new record and fall completely in love with it.  :-*  Rob, Dean, Eric & Scott did a superb job on this one.  Looking forward to the next one!  1 Night, that's all it took, there is hope for you my friends. ;)
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

Garrett

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2010, 12:44:42 AM »
Quote from: "Unglued"
Someone said earlier about Pearl Jam.  I love the first three PJ records because I thought they brought something new and after that, No Code, Yield, Riot Act, etc.. I thought just lacked something.

I often hear the same about STP...

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2010, 12:52:33 AM »
Quote from: "STP92"
Quote from: "Silvergun Picture Show"
Quote from: "VeiledTrickerySTP"
Here's some advice. Go buy Pearl Jam. They'll give you the same music you heard on their first album to appease you. No wonder I only have their first album and that's it.
You see, thats just an ignorant comment...sorry i had to step in.

Yeah, really. Go listen to "Jeremy" and then "Sleight of Hand". Yeah, real similar... ::)

Pretty much. I don't listen to either of those songs anymore. That's how much impact that band had on me.

guvnagrover

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2010, 12:59:59 AM »
I respect everyone's opinions, all I know is that I love the freakin' album - that's all that matters to me...'nuff said.
"Skin is smooth I steal a glance...Dragon flies 'er' gliding over"

"Cause she could play the six string, Better than those macho pendejos...Oh Maver..."

justbill

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2010, 01:16:17 AM »
Quote from: "therealcaptain40"
One critic wrote a review saying that the new album is a "natural progression" for the band. I think that statement is pretty accurate. They're always evolving and often step outside of their comfort zone.

I agree, I mean. I wouldn't be as big of a fan had they released the same sound over and over again. But having said that, I could do without the "Cinnamon" track. Seriously. Calling this song the "Sour Girl" of the album is an insult to "Sour Girl." Hahaha -- I'm just saying! Joking aside, regardless of my little war with the "Cinnamon" single. I'm just really blown away by this record, it truly is a 'natural progression' for the band in general and I couldn't imagine anything else at the moment... Just very pleased that Stone Temple Pilots are still making music to this day, and yet maintains the original lineup after all these years (unlike some bands nowadays).
-Bill_

therealcaptain40

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2010, 01:28:46 AM »
Yeah, I would say that 'Cinnamon' is like the 'Wonderful' of this album, not the 'Sour Girl' of this album.

MadPieceOfPie

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2010, 01:46:04 AM »
I broke down and couldn't wait until the 25th and downloaded the torrent.

This is by far my favorite STP album!

When I read Brett's and Rik's review of the ablum I was so pumped and when I broke down and downloaded the torrent I was blown away. I listen to the new songs every chance I get.

I really hope they release Fast As I Can. That song kicks ass!

Can't wait for my deluxe copy to come in the mail!

Not sure if anyone cares but here are my favorite songs in order.

Fast As I can
Huckleberry Crumble
Take a Load Off
Peacoat/Hazy Daze (too close to call)
Between the Lines
Dare if You Dare
Bagman
First Kiss on Mars
Maver
Hickory Dichotomy
Cinnamon

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2010, 02:30:26 AM »
I dunno, if STP kept writing purple over and over again I would have lost interest in them ages ago

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2010, 03:31:31 AM »
I think we can expect to see these type of threads every time STP releases an album because their sound is different on each one.  I'm sure when Tiny Music came out, lots of people who liked Core hated that record.

So let's get used to it  :)
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2010, 03:32:36 AM »
I think it is about time I make the claim that Maver is Scott's best work as a lyricist on an STP record. The tale he tells in this song is so poignant and evocative. I love this song!!

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2010, 03:34:18 AM »
Quote from: "kshamrock20"
I think it is about time I make the claim that Maver is Scott's best work as a lyricist on an STP record. The tale he tells in this song is so poignant and evocative. I love this song!!

Yeah, it seems he tested out a new way to write songs with Maver by telling a story (kind of a country-ish way of doing it).  It worked!
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Bipolarbear126

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2010, 03:41:47 AM »
Quote from: "purple man"
(First, sorry about my bad english, i'm not an english speaker)
I'm a huge fan of stp since 1994, when i was 15 years old.
got all their albums and they are my favorite band.
I love all 5 albums, but the real STP for me, is the unpredictable artsy band
that gave us songs like:
bi-polar bear, black again, hello it's late, about a fool, big bang baby, lady picture show,
trippin', and so i know, seven caged tigers, pruno, church on tuesday etc.
No doubt that they are the most creative and adventurous band
from the whole grunge movement.
UNTILL THE NEW S/T ALBUM
This album is everything that STP are not - predictable, cheesy, poppy (in a bad way),
commercial, no creativity or thought, just generic rock music,
nothing special about this album.
I almost cried when i first listened to 'cinnamon' - and not from happiness.
or 'maver' - it sounds cheesy, almost like a Bon jovi song.
The rest of the songs on the album are Ok, but if i want an Ok music - i can put the last counting crows album on.
I'm sorry, but that's how i feel, i'm waiting for this album for almost a dacade,
what a disappointment...

Hey, I can't believe that someone whose favorite STP record is SLDD could be disappointed by this album. SLDD is my favorite album of theirs, too, and I think the new one can be better in so many ways. I hope you listen to it a few more times and come up with a different opinion of it. Listen to the songs Take A Load Off, First Kiss on Mars, Maver, Hickory Dichotomy, and Peacoat to get that SLDD feel.
Cocaine. Alcohol. Lady-lay. Withdrawal.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2010, 03:42:47 AM »
THere should have been a grace period of 2 weeks before people comment on it.  Some comments are just dumb.  

It seems no one has the patience these days to really delve into albums and really get into it,

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2010, 04:09:24 AM »
Quote from: "kshamrock20"

I'm gonna have to agree, and his singing on the track is really awesome. The way it all comes together -- the lyrics, the singing, the music -- is something really special. It's their most "mature" song to date. Take that as you will, for better or worse. Personally, I absolutely love this tune! It's my favorite on the album, and I just get a really warm, happy feeling listening to it.