September 20, 2024, 12:14:39 AM

Author Topic: STP lost their Hard Rock Spark?  (Read 40999 times)

Unglued

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: What happened STP?!!!
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2010, 11:21:15 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Quote from: "Unglued"
I totally respect your opinion, but I disagree.  For a lot of fans, including myself were waiting for a new rock record to drop.  You listed a few songs, mostly SLDD in vein and there are plenty of fans that have longed for Vasoline, Wicked Garden and Tumble in the Rough, etc.. along with the style of the songs you listed.  Personally, I wouldnt say this is my favorite record by them but I am so very much impressed with this record and I believe it was well worth the wait.  I just don't see them making a different record than the one they just made.  Just my opinion, and I wanted to give my thoughts as well.
STP have never made the same record twice, you'll never hear anything like Vasoline or Wicked Garden again.  Listen to the record more before you judge it.

WTH?  I have listened to it an incredible amount of times.  I was agreeing with what you said by the way.  You need to re-read what I said.  I am saying that there were just as many people waiting for a rock record as there are people that were waiting for an artsy album and IMO this album delivered.  I NEVER said I wanted them to re-make those songs, I used them as examples.  On top of that do not question my love of the band or how much I listened to the album before I comment since you are not me and have no idea.. cool?

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2010, 11:23:02 PM »
They are the ones who wrote the bubble-gum pop tunes like Cinamon, First Kiss on Mars, and Maver.

Okay Cinnamon is pretty poppy, but I'll be damned if it isn't one of the catchiest tunes they've ever written.  FKOM and Maver are not bubblegum pop.  No, just no.
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

facepollution

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2010, 11:26:50 PM »
People need to enjoy the album for what it is, and stop bitching about what it's not.  They've never made the same album twice, to me this is just their pop-rock album, just as Core is their grungey album etc.  These are all well written songs, which make for a really cohesive record, perfect for the hot summer days ahead - I really couldn't be happier with it.  Oh and one final thing, why do people insist on making out like this album has taken 9 years to make?!  Like they've been storing up 9 years worth of material!!

silvergun88

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2010, 11:37:10 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Quote from: "Unglued"
I totally respect your opinion, but I disagree.  For a lot of fans, including myself were waiting for a new rock record to drop.  You listed a few songs, mostly SLDD in vein and there are plenty of fans that have longed for Vasoline, Wicked Garden and Tumble in the Rough, etc.. along with the style of the songs you listed.  Personally, I wouldnt say this is my favorite record by them but I am so very much impressed with this record and I believe it was well worth the wait.  I just don't see them making a different record than the one they just made.  Just my opinion, and I wanted to give my thoughts as well.
STP have never made the same record twice, you'll never hear anything like Vasoline or Wicked Garden again.  Listen to the record more before you judge it.

as much as i wish it wasnt true, brett is completely right. STP has put out 5 amazing albums, and each of them are unique in their own way. yes, i would love to have another core or purple album as im more in favor of earlier STP, but the fact that they were able to go from songs like sin, d&b, and wicked garded,    too bi-polar, too cool queenie, and long way home and STILL continue to have great success is what makes them special. until between the lines was released, non of us STP FANATICS had no idea what to expect, and we never will. as scott put it back in '93, "were just gonna continue to do what we do, and make music." can't ask form much more.

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2010, 11:48:46 PM »
Here's some advice. Go buy Pearl Jam. They'll give you the same music you heard on their first album to appease you. No wonder I only have their first album and that's it.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2010, 12:01:37 AM »
Cinnamon FTW!

JohnnyWuFei

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2010, 12:02:40 AM »
I actually prefer it when a band evolves their sound. If I wanted to listen to something along the lines of Core or Purple, I'll just listen to those albums.

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2010, 12:04:47 AM »
Quote from: "VeiledTrickerySTP"
Here's some advice. Go buy Pearl Jam. They'll give you the same music you heard on their first album to appease you. No wonder I only have their first album and that's it.
You see, thats just an ignorant comment...sorry i had to step in.
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2010, 12:06:19 AM »
Quote from: "Silvergun Picture Show"
Quote from: "VeiledTrickerySTP"
You see, thats just an ignorant comment...sorry i had to step in.

Yeah, really. Go listen to "Jeremy" and then "Sleight of Hand". Yeah, real similar... ::)

Unglued

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2010, 12:09:39 AM »
Well for me, I think this album delivered a perfect mix of what makes them great.  They still have that kick ass STP sound and evolved perfectly.  Someone said earlier about Pearl Jam.  I love the first three PJ records because I thought they brought something new and after that, No Code, Yield, Riot Act, etc.. I thought just lacked something.
Either way this album rocks and I havent stopped listening to it since I got it.

Core76

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2010, 12:13:17 AM »
Quote from: "roughtumble"
I still haven't heard 5 songs off the album, but I can't see it being better than Libertad (which I love, even though I hate Contraband). The 7 songs I heard off the new album sound like shit compared to "Let It Roll," "She Mine," "Get Out the Door," and "Mary Mary"...anybody agree?

I am actually a big VR Libertad fan and that is one of the reasons why i really love this new STP Album from start to finish because it has that same pop rock vibe to it. I guess my point is with you being a Libertad fan also i would think you would be all over this album.

purple man

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2010, 12:15:57 AM »
Quote from: Unglued
Well for me, I think this album delivered a perfect mix of what makes them great.  They still have that kick ass STP sound and evolved perfectly. quote]

All i can say is, i wish it will grow on me, i listened to the album only once, so maybe i'm wrong, and i will love this album in the end.

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2010, 12:16:41 AM »
I absolutely love the album. It is miles better than Core or No.4 and I like it more than Purple or Tiny Music.

No need to create a new thread just to express your opinion.

Where's Lazy Divey? This thread seriously needs to become a recipe thread.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Gettinbroady

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2010, 12:19:06 AM »
Maybe
**Signature image too large**

therealcaptain40

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2010, 12:22:26 AM »
One critic wrote a review saying that the new album is a "natural progression" for the band. I think that statement is pretty accurate. They're always evolving and often step outside of their comfort zone.