September 20, 2024, 02:36:17 AM

Author Topic: STP lost their Hard Rock Spark?  (Read 41005 times)

Unglued

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: What happened STP?!!!
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2010, 10:49:36 PM »
I totally respect your opinion, but I disagree.  For a lot of fans, including myself were waiting for a new rock record to drop.  You listed a few songs, mostly SLDD in vein and there are plenty of fans that have longed for Vasoline, Wicked Garden and Tumble in the Rough, etc.. along with the style of the songs you listed.  Personally, I wouldnt say this is my favorite record by them but I am so very much impressed with this record and I believe it was well worth the wait.  I just don't see them making a different record than the one they just made.  Just my opinion, and I wanted to give my thoughts as well.

Mabby

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/mattmabe
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2010, 10:49:51 PM »
I agree with Brett.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2010, 10:56:25 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
The new album rules.  I was fully expecting threads like this though.

I agree.

I'll add that by no means is this album predictable or cheesy.  This album introduces a whole new sound from STP, exactly like their previous 5 albums did.  Also, IMO, Sour Girl is just as "poppy" as Cinnamon.  And Bon Jovi couldn't write nearly as good of a song as Maver.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

roughtumble

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2010, 10:57:02 PM »
I still haven't heard 5 songs off the album, but I can't see it being better than Libertad (which I love, even though I hate Contraband). The 7 songs I heard off the new album sound like shit compared to "Let It Roll," "She Mine," "Get Out the Door," and "Mary Mary"...anybody agree?

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2010, 10:59:31 PM »
Hickory, Maver, Cinnamon and First Kiss on Mars are all departures for this band. I don't see how this was predictable. Like it or not, this wasn't a safe album. There are plenty of unique properties that STP has introduced which has not been done on any of the preceeding albums.

stox

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2010, 11:01:55 PM »
erm no.

on the velvet revolver point

Unglued

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2010, 11:03:25 PM »
Quote from: "roughtumble"
I still haven't heard 5 songs off the album, but I can't see it being better than Libertad (which I love, even though I hate Contraband). The 7 songs I heard off the new album sound like shit compared to "Let It Roll," "She Mine," "Get Out the Door," and "Mary Mary"...anybody agree?

Dude.. for me it is the rhythm section that makes all the difference and the music here is just killer.  I mean killer IMO
Sort of like RATM - The music from that band even without Zach is killer.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2010, 11:05:23 PM »

After being initially dissapointed with 'Libertad', I have found myself listening to it a lot lately and have really gotten into it. Scott stated it was the best rock n' roll album he'd recorded since 'Tiny Music' at the time of release and I just didn't agree with that statement at all, I have now learned to appreciate it though as a straight up rock n' roll album with some sleazy 80's style rock songs, it also worked really well live. I have yet to hear the new STP album but if it is straight ahead rock n' roll (and less of the experimental stuff like SLDD, which I love) then I hope it blows 'Libertad' out of the water because I think the Deleo's write more imaginitive music than Duff and Slash did in VR, it was a little samey in parts...
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

purple man

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2010, 11:06:18 PM »
Quote from: "Unglued"
I totally respect your opinion, but I disagree.  For a lot of fans, including myself were waiting for a new rock record to drop.  You listed a few songs, mostly SLDD in vein and there are plenty of fans that have longed for Vasoline, Wicked Garden and Tumble in the Rough, etc.. along with the style of the songs you listed.  Personally, I wouldnt say this is my favorite record by them but I am so very much impressed with this record and I believe it was well worth the wait.  I just don't see them making a different record than the one they just made.  Just my opinion, and I wanted to give my thoughts as well.

I also love the Typical STP songs you mentioned, but non of the new songs even in the same league, in my opinion...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:09:14 PM by purple man »

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2010, 11:06:18 PM »
STP is my fucking religion!! but hearing this album isn't giving me the same feeling I got when all the other ones came out. I rather remove the vocals and hear the album, for me Scott has lost a lot if what he had... Idk if the drugs gave him creativity or something but like I said before, this record has made me appreciate Libertad tons more. I will still purchase it when it comes out regardless and Its definitely better than a lot of shit out there but I expected two great things for my iPod this summer, new STP and new Slash and they have both made me feel like a bit of me died. I played purple and SLDD right after just to know that STP ARE capable of more... But I do think Scott is the downfall of this album for sure.
If you only knew..

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2010, 11:12:45 PM »
Quote from: "Unglued"
STP have never made the same record twice, you'll never hear anything like Vasoline or Wicked Garden again.  Listen to the record more before you judge it.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2010, 11:13:08 PM »
Quote from: "purple man"
This album is everything that STP are not - predictable, cheesy, poppy (in a bad way),
commercial, no creativity or thought, just generic rock music,
nothing special about this album.
I almost cried when i first listened to 'cinnamon' - and not from happiness.
or 'maver' - it sounds cheesy, almost like a Bon jovi song.
The rest of the songs on the album are Ok, but if i want an Ok music - i can put the last counting crows album on.
I'm sorry, but that's how i feel, i'm waiting for this album for almost a dacade,
what a disappointment...

I think you may not like it because it is more "pop" than rock?  I actually prefer this pop-STP to No. 4 which was much more hard rock oriented.  It is just a more solid album.
"Maver" is the next "Atlanta"  
I think Libertad was much more generic.  It didn't have the groove that STP has.
I think "Cinnamon" is a great song...and it really isn't all that different from "Mary, Mary"

And sure there are a few flaws.  It is nothing that I can't overlook though, and most of the flaws are either saved by Weiland's great vocals or saved by other good parts of the songs.

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2010, 11:14:32 PM »
I think 1-5 on the new STP album rank with the first 5 tracks of any previous STP work. Those first 5 songs are insanely awesome. And the last two are phenomenal (FKOM & Maver)

unglued24

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2010, 11:16:26 PM »
Don't blaime Scott for this albums sound. While Scott's vocals certainly didn't blow me away, he was only working with what he was given... He had nothing to do with that process, it was all Rob and Dean. They are the ones who wrote the bubble-gum pop tunes like Cinamon, First Kiss on Mars, and Maver.

ALSO Anyone who compares those 3 tracks to ANYTHING the Beatles did must be referring to McCartney's bubblegum pop and not Lennon's straight forward rock...
"What is the truth? What is reality? Your truth, your knowledge, that becomes your truth, becomes the reality...figure it out for yourself..." Scott Weiland

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2010, 11:19:34 PM »
I don't understand how any STP fan could not like this album.  It really just feels like the next step forward for the band.  The DeLeos are the DeLeos, Eric sounds so recharged on this album, and Scott not only sounds great but creates some absolutely fantastic melodies.  If I were to pair this album with any other STP album it would have to be No.4.  Both are just straight up balls out rock records with some smart pop thrown in there.  Good Shit.
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.