September 20, 2024, 05:02:09 AM

Author Topic: STP lost their Hard Rock Spark?  (Read 41007 times)

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
Re: STP lost their Hard Rock Spark?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 05:27:48 PM »
I'll say the same thing I said in another thread:

Give it time.  We haven't heard NEW STP in almost ten years.  We are sooooo used to listening to the same five albums over and over and over... new stuff is going to sound foreign.  Weiland sounds great.  Dean's guitar kills me.  The boys are totally ON and doing what they're supposed to be doing.  Just let it grow on you.  Pretty soon you won't be able to shake it.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

cagedtiger1640

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 05:42:14 PM »
Quote from: "DumbLove"
I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm not sure what you mean by "rocking edge."  You said Core was your least favorite album, but by most standards it is their most hard rocking.  Secondly, when you mention their hits that you would hear on the radio ten years from now, I don't think any of those are from their last two albums.  And more important, a radio hit does not necessarily equate to a good song.  It sounds like you have an issue with Scott's attitude more than the music, which are two separate entities.

Tiny Music is my favorite album as well, but I feel this album will be their best since TM by far based on what we've heard thus far.  I've loved everything I've heard, and you're talking to someone who thought No.4 and SLDD were only good not great, so I'm definitely not one who thinks STP can do no wrong.  Then again, I'm a fan of this bluesier route they're taking and love this Tiny Music meets Libertad vibe they have going.  And can you really say these lyrics are cheesier than anything in "Days Of The Week" or "Sour Girl"?

Having said all that, I hope you don't take this as an attack.  If you don't like the new material, by all means, please continue to voice your opinion as it does facilitate good discussion.  If anyone starts flaming you for doing so, they're just douches plain and simple.

Dumblove you make some good points.  I hope I cleared up the “edge” thing with my previous post.  Its hard for me to describe but I think the members I quoted did an excellent job of explaining what I was trying to say.  I also agree with you that a radio hit doesn’t equal a good song, some of my favorite stp songs are definitely not the radio hits.  That being said there’s something to be said about timeless songs like “ILS”  “Big Empty” “Trippin” “sex type thing” that are both hits and fantastic songs, but very valid point none the less and I stand corrected.  Also its cool that you like the direction of the new songs I don’t fault you or think less of you for that at all.  I can’t say that these lyrics are any cheesier  than  songs like “sour girl” etc.  I guess what is bugging me is that to me all three of the songs I have heard so far all have a bit of cheesiness to them (which I described in a little more detail in a previous post).
That being said I am really enjoying hearing everyone’s opinions for a few reasons.  One I will always respect someone’s well thought out respectful opinion and two everyone’s opinions have helped shed light on why I am feeling the way I do so far about these songs.  Lastly don’t get me wrong it’s not that I hate these songs or think they are terrible .  I think they are decent songs they just are moving me in the way that every previous STP record has so far.  I guess I’m just not totally digging the vibe so far for whatever reason, but there is plenty more to come this is only ¼ of the songs on the record.  So I still have some hope for the new record reaching my high expectations and if it doesn’t so be it.  It is still new STP and I’ll never complain about that.  I guess in the end  I don’t have to be totally floored by every record stp ever puts out (although I have been up to this point).

ArnoldLayne

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 05:47:06 PM »
This is why I don't listen to any of the samples/leaks. Let's just wait till the whole album comes out and judge after that...
Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
Fugazi - 2000-10-10
Stone Temple Pilots - 2001-08-21
The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 05:51:42 PM »
I too will say something I said in another thread (and I think I know what Tiger is saying here), I figured a “back to basics” rock record was going to be one chockful of songs like Coma, Down, etc.

When you listen to stuff like AoA’s “Goodbye” or “Disappear”, in your face rockers also written by the Deleos, and then your first glimpse of the new STP is less “in your face” (for lack of a better expression), then you start wondering what’s up.

But also, as been said already, it’s 3 songs. Give it some time and remember that our first dose of SLDD was Days of the Week…clearly (at the time) not your typical STP song, but now it’s kind of hard to conceive of the STP without that and the rest of SLDD.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »
Quote from: "Wingless Bird"
I just hope that there is at least one ballad on this album... although i really doubt it.
"First Kiss On Mars" was described as haunting ballad by some reporter.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

cagedtiger1640

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 06:11:21 PM »
Quote from: "Sklashboombash"
I too will say something I said in another thread (and I think I know what Tiger is saying here), I figured a “back to basics” rock record was going to be one chockful of songs like Coma, Down, etc.

When you listen to stuff like AoA’s “Goodbye” or “Disappear”, in your face rockers also written by the Deleos, and then your first glimpse of the new STP is less “in your face” (for lack of a better expression), then you start wondering what’s up.

But also, as been said already, it’s 3 songs. Give it some time and remember that our first dose of SLDD was Days of the Week…clearly (at the time) not your typical STP song, but now it’s kind of hard to conceive of the STP without that and the rest of SLDD.

Really like what you wrote here, you hit the nail on the head.  I also agree with the others who are saying wait until you hear the whole album.  This is just my initial opinion based on the songs I have heard and that could change upon hearing the whole album.  Sklashboombash really summed up how I'm feeling right now pretty well and it's evident that some other fans feelings are similar to ours.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 06:46:53 PM »
Quote from: "Stpilots98"
Quote from: "Stop That Pigeon"
I'm not sure how much Scott has "lost" - I thought Libertad was going to be average from him but "American Man" & "Gravedancer" are up there with his best work I think. Also, when I saw STP on the SLDD tour, Scott was 75% at best whereas with VR in '07 he was fantastic (and I was sober both times btw  ;D ) so it's hard to be definitive about his capabilities these days..

That's interesting because American Man is my least favorite song Scott has ever been involved in, I just hated his vocal work and thought the song was beyond cheesy.  His vocal work on Contraband was amazing and one of his best but he really disappointing me on Libertad.

Hey, that's what makes Weiland so great though he can change up his vocals so much I just for one wasn't a fan of Libertad or Happy in terms of his vocals.

Yeah, I'm in a minority there I'm sure - I love everything about "American Man", it was a real change-up for VR.

I've always felt that Contraband was the sound of a vocal genius trying everything possible to rescue some (for the most part) pretty average material - again, not the majority view I suppose!

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2010, 08:37:41 PM »
Well, I wouldn't mind a real hard rocker, and no, none of these songs are hard so far, but I think Hickory rocks and Lines is ok, but lyrically I haven't found anything I could identify with, unlike what got me into stp in the first place. Huckleberry and Fast As I Can sound great so far, I just think this will be more of a 'good time record', just like old Aerosmith or the Stones.
I had the midwife naked and alone

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 08:47:18 PM »
Quote from: "Comatose Commodity"
just think this will be more of a 'good time record', just like old Aerosmith or the Stones.
Yeah I'm getting that impression too. Which isn't a bad thing at all. As we all know, every album STP puts out is different in its own special way, and from the 3 songs we've heard so far, the new album should follow in the previous albums' footsteps of being unique. I love STP's super-heavy stuff, but if this album doesn't have a song like Down or something I won't be upset. Tiny Music is an amazing album and I wouldn't consider any of its songs to be on the level of Down, Sex Type Thing, etc so it wouldn't be a huge deal if this one doesn't have any either.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

DumbLove

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 09:54:29 PM »
Quote from: "cagedtiger1640"
Dumblove you make some good points.  I hope I cleared up the “edge” thing with my previous post.  Its hard for me to describe but I think the members I quoted did an excellent job of explaining what I was trying to say.  I also agree with you that a radio hit doesn’t equal a good song, some of my favorite stp songs are definitely not the radio hits.  That being said there’s something to be said about timeless songs like “ILS”  “Big Empty” “Trippin” “sex type thing” that are both hits and fantastic songs, but very valid point none the less and I stand corrected.  Also its cool that you like the direction of the new songs I don’t fault you or think less of you for that at all.  I can’t say that these lyrics are any cheesier  than  songs like “sour girl” etc.  I guess what is bugging me is that to me all three of the songs I have heard so far all have a bit of cheesiness to them (which I described in a little more detail in a previous post).
That being said I am really enjoying hearing everyone’s opinions for a few reasons.  One I will always respect someone’s well thought out respectful opinion and two everyone’s opinions have helped shed light on why I am feeling the way I do so far about these songs.  Lastly don’t get me wrong it’s not that I hate these songs or think they are terrible .  I think they are decent songs they just are moving me in the way that every previous STP record has so far.  I guess I’m just not totally digging the vibe so far for whatever reason, but there is plenty more to come this is only ¼ of the songs on the record.  So I still have some hope for the new record reaching my high expectations and if it doesn’t so be it.  It is still new STP and I’ll never complain about that.  I guess in the end  I don’t have to be totally floored by every record stp ever puts out (although I have been up to this point).

Yeah, I think I now also see what you and others are saying.  Bottom line is that the band is taking their sound in a new direction.  I think some others have made a good point that both the DeLeos and Weiland have grown and changed musically in the last decade through all their different side projects, not to mention the dynamic of the band, whether the change be for the better or the worse.  To expect another Core, Purple, or what have you, is unrealistic.  Good artists will always be changing, and unfortunately not everyone may like the new sound/visuals/whatever medium it may be.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 10:20:53 PM »
I think its best to wait until the whole album is out there to be listened to before everyone starts claiming one thing or another.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 11:56:59 PM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"
I'll say the same thing I said in another thread:

Give it time.  We haven't heard NEW STP in almost ten years.  We are sooooo used to listening to the same five albums over and over and over... new stuff is going to sound foreign.  Weiland sounds great.  Dean's guitar kills me.  The boys are totally ON and doing what they're supposed to be doing.  Just let it grow on you.  Pretty soon you won't be able to shake it.

I think the new stuff sounds completely awesome. I love everything I've heard so far. I dunno why anybody who liked the first 5 offerings couldn't like this new stuff.

I don't complain about the drug lyrics because music is Scott's therapy. And it's better that he's singing about them than doing them.
Bleeda blooda

therealcaptain40

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 04:27:16 AM »
I totally agree with CagedTiger. I love STP, but the 3 studio versions of the new material do sound mediocre. Sounds better than most music, but not up to STP standards.  I want to hear
Scott doing some Core style vocals, not create another Core album, just some songs in that vocal style. Down and All In The Suit That You Wear were close, but not 100% Core and those songs were 7-11 years ago. Do you guys think that he could still pull off those vocals from the Core and Purple days? I WANT TO HEAR THEM BRING THE MOTHAFUCKIN ROOF DOWN!.

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 04:52:02 AM »
Quote from: "Tyrant"
I think Hickory is better than some STP "classics".
Personally, I think the only cheesy lyric so far is "bagman honey, bagman sugar".
It's funny, because I feel exactly the opposite.   :D  I like Bagman much more.

I typically love STP's harder stuff the most, and hope there is some on this new CD. But I'm just thrilled to hear new music from them and appreciate the different styles they always inject into new material. They're remarkably creative, and in stretching their skills they will occasionally strike out while searching for their next home run. I'm fine with that.

It's different than rooting for AC/DC (another band I respect). With AC/DC, you know EXACTLY what their next song is going to sound like. Which is amazing in its own sense as you realize how bulletproof that formula has been for that particular band.

sfoust

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 05:10:13 AM »
The beauty about music is that different songs will effect different people in different ways. Nothing wrong with expressing your opinion. In my opinion I really like the first three songs off the new album. While Scott's lyrics can be obscure at times, he is also the melody master in my opinion. These tunes sound so groovy...all have me moving:-)