September 20, 2024, 12:11:53 AM

Author Topic: STP lost their Hard Rock Spark?  (Read 40997 times)

purple man

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Re: What happened STP?!!!
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2010, 03:56:23 PM »
Quote from: "VeiledTrickerySTP"
How is Maver cheesy? Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace are cheesy not this song.

Cheesy for STP standards.

MartyMcFly

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2010, 04:41:09 PM »
See, I don't understand how people didn't expect this album from them. We all know with each album they take a step in a completely different direction from the last. We should've been expecting the unexpected not the same grunge, post grunge alternative or even psych rock we got in the 90's. Sure some songs wont appeal to everyone but I think we would rather have more rounded songs than the same album over and over again like bands today.

I was watching ESPN the other day and they played a song that I don't even remember the name of because the song was so generic sounding then about half hour later they played "Fast as I Can" and it hit me how this album is so much more fresh than anything we've heard in a while.

I give a lot of credit to STP for challenging themselves to be different. It's so easy to fall into a single file line and follow all the rest of the generic bands today. Especially in a culture where popular "music" (if you can even call it that) is driven by American Idol and Disney or whatever the media tells people is good. So next time someone thinks about criticizing them I would recommend them to think about where the band is coming from and what the current trends are for music in this country. Maybe you will appreciate the fact they are different then.
You can hunt for the hunter...he's got no where to hide

Silverman Supergun

• Thetan level 7
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2010, 05:52:16 PM »
This album has a half country/half pop and rock feel.  A 2010 professional rock album.  No ballads, but a couple slower songs and one ultra-pop song.  New direction and something new with the album, but still the same recognizable sound and vibe.  F'n' STP.  For the first new music since All in the Suit That You Wear, I'm pumped.  When I spend a couple weeks in a tent up in the Sierras this summer, Stone Temple Pilots The Album will make my life better!  

I decided to listen to the album(stream) yesterday because it was my son's 5th birthday(had a party) and I wanted to make the albums first listen a little more memorable for me[dork].  It always takes 147 listens for me to "get it".  But the first listen has me getting it quick.  Holy shit.  Can't wait to buy the album Tuesday and bring it home for realz.  The artwork, lyrics, pictures, thank yous, production credits, etc...  Proud of my boys.  

So sorry others can't enjoy.  Oh well.  If you love Tiny Music so much, go listen to Art School Girl on a loop.  I put EVERY song on this new album above ASG grade wise.  Daisy too.  And Ride the Cliche for that matter.  Couple others I'm not so fond of, but I won't get too crazy.  My point, this is an STP album that ranks in the catalogue.  Period.  Where?  Who cares now.  With one listen I am excited for my requisite infinite amount of more listens during the rest of my short life on Earth.  

My air guitar would also like to thank Dean and Rob.  It's gonna get some new work.
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes cause I walked too softly.  But in my defense, he was a Macho Pendejo.

maynx

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2010, 06:59:41 PM »
Quote from: "Silverman Supergun"
This album has a half country/half pop and rock feel.  A 2010 professional rock album.  No ballads, but a couple slower songs and one ultra-pop song.  New direction and something new with the album, but still the same recognizable sound and vibe.  F'n' STP.  For the first new music since All in the Suit That You Wear, I'm pumped.  When I spend a couple weeks in a tent up in the Sierras this summer, Stone Temple Pilots The Album will make my life better!  

I decided to listen to the album(stream) yesterday because it was my son's 5th birthday(had a party) and I wanted to make the albums first listen a little more memorable for me[dork].  It always takes 147 listens for me to "get it".  But the first listen has me getting it quick.  Holy shit.  Can't wait to buy the album Tuesday and bring it home for realz.  The artwork, lyrics, pictures, thank yous, production credits, etc...  Proud of my boys.  

So sorry others can't enjoy.  Oh well.  If you love Tiny Music so much, go listen to Art School Girl on a loop.  I put EVERY song on this new album above ASG grade wise.  Daisy too.  And Ride the Cliche for that matter.  Couple others I'm not so fond of, but I won't get too crazy.  My point, this is an STP album that ranks in the catalogue.  Period.  Where?  Who cares now.  With one listen I am excited for my requisite infinite amount of more listens during the rest of my short life on Earth.  

My air guitar would also like to thank Dean and Rob.  It's gonna get some new work.

No. Not dorky at all. That's what it's all about, my friend. This music is a part of the soundtrack of our lives. I can still remember being in sunny Florida in June of 2001, soaking in the sun and some Shangri-La-Dee-Da. The summer atmosphere, the palm trees, the brand new STP... it was pure bliss! :D
But she'll never really be alone...as long as I'm beside her...

vicious1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2010, 07:37:40 PM »
Quote from: "maynx"
Quote from: "Silverman Supergun"

No. Not dorky at all. That's what it's all about, my friend. This music is a part of the soundtrack of our lives. I can still remember being in sunny Florida in June of 2001, soaking in the sun and some Shangri-La-Dee-Da. The summer atmosphere, the palm trees, the brand new STP... it was pure bliss! :D

I wish I had candid photos of the expression on my face every time I'm through my first listen of a new STP album! Good times!

Bugaha

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »
I agree with the original post. The album is too safe and does not take any risks the way STP used to do it.

It's basically a cliche album of Aerosmith, Beatles, and Zeppelin-esque tunes.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2010, 07:48:08 PM »
Quote from: "Bugaha"
I agree with the original post. The album is too safe and does not take any risks the way STP used to do it.

I would argue that this album is as risky as, if not more than, Shangri-La Dee Da. Songs like Huckleberry Crumble, Hazy Daze, and Maver, which all have classic rock tendencies, all carry the risk of turning off younger and closed-minded fans. Cinnamon and Bagman are obviously very risky, as they've each polarized even the hardcore STP fans on here.

In terms of risk, I think Tiny Music was their boldest album, but this probably isn't the best time to release something as risky as that. I think this album is a good mix of stuff that's comfortable and stuff that's surprising and unpredictable.

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »
Quote from: "EyesOfDisarray"
Songs like Huckleberry Crumble, Hazy Daze, and Maver, which all have classic rock tendencies, all carry the risk of turning off younger and closed-minded fans.

I kind of like that though.  I don't want any gossip girl type fans all of sudden liking STP, and I know they probably will because of Cinnamon but just imagine..once they discover Core, Purple and even Tiny Music they probably won't like the band and their collectiveness and that's alright with me!  More STP for the real fans!  Great album again, can I say it anymore?
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

sbuxreg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/sbuxreg
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2010, 08:05:50 PM »
Quote from: "VeiledTrickerySTP"
How is Maver cheesy? Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace are cheesy not this song.

everyone is entitled to their opinions man but i happen to be a fan of STP and both of those bands w/ BB comming in #2.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2010, 08:25:57 PM »
All I can say is that if you don't like this album, just wait for the next one because it's sure to be different. That's the best thing about STP, they're always evolving. Fortunately for myself, I enjoy all of their work (and I mean every single song) and am happy with whatever they put out.

Bugaha

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2010, 09:20:55 PM »
I think that the last 2 albums (Libertad and Stone Temple Pilots) that Scott Weiland has been involved with as a BAND MEMBER, have been very similar in terms of vocal style and songwriting approach. They have both been very linear and poppy. However, I think that Happy in Galoshes was one of the best projects that Scott Weiland has done. Maybe Scott's muse is now with Douglas Grean and not with a limited band.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2010, 09:29:59 PM »
I think that the last 2 albums (Libertad and Stone Temple Pilots) that Scott Weiland has been involved with as a BAND MEMBER, have been very similar in terms of vocal style and songwriting approach. They have both been very linear and poppy. However, I think that Happy in Galoshes was one of the best projects that Scott Weiland has done. Maybe Scott's muse is now with Douglas Grean and not with a limited band.
Couldn't disagree with you more.  The best music Scott has ever made, and the best music Scott will make in the future is with the DeLeo brothers and Eric Kretz.  Happy has some good songs but gets far too unfocused and self indulgent.  See "Fame" cover.  That's why I find it ironic that Scott referred to Happy as a more focused record than 12 Bar Blues, when I actually believe it's the complete opposite.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2010, 09:37:42 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Couldn't disagree with you more.  The best music Scott has ever made, and the best music Scott will make in the future is with the DeLeo brothers and Eric Kretz.  Happy has some good songs but gets far too unfocused and self indulgent.  See "Fame" cover.  That's why I find it ironic that Scott referred to Happy as a more focused record than 12 Bar Blues, when I actually believe it's the complete opposite.

Agree 100%.  He writes his best stuff with Deleo's and 12BB was way more focused than Happy.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2010, 09:54:50 PM »
Quote from: "RangerJim"
I don't want any gossip girl type fans all of sudden liking STP

I never understood this kind of sentiment. There's enough room in any band's fanbase for many different people to like that band. And one may argue that the more fans & success the band has, the happier they may be and want to continue.

I'm not saying that SLDD's poor sales were the cause for Scott going off to VR, but I'm sure it helped. I get the whole "I want this band to be mine", but that's unrealistic. I wish that STP got their deserved acclaim.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2010, 09:57:35 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
The best music Scott has ever made, and the best music Scott will make in the future is with the DeLeo brothers and Eric Kretz.

Amen brother.