September 20, 2024, 12:13:58 AM

Author Topic: STP lost their Hard Rock Spark?  (Read 40998 times)

Sunday Shoes

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Re: What happened STP?!!!
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2010, 05:29:08 AM »
Quote from: "JohnnyWuFei"
I actually prefer it when a band evolves their sound. If I wanted to listen to something along the lines of Core or Purple, I'll just listen to those albums.

Absofuckinglutely!

There's no musical rock that goes unturned with STP!  That's STP!!!
Stone Temple Pilots:  The last rock and roll band.

loungeflyy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2010, 07:44:18 AM »
Ok, so hopefully I don't get too ripped posting this, but here's what I just posted on the official BBS about this album:

After listening to the album about two and half times, I have to say my feelings are mixed.

The truth is, while I think Rob, Eric, and especially Dean sound as good as they ever have, I really feel like Scott doesn't have it anymore. I think a lot of his singing just pressed and tired. It sounds weak, not like the strong Scott Weiland of, well, ten years ago.

Scott sings a line, "I've seen better days" during Hazy Daze, and couldn't help but think, "yea, you have". I'm not here to bash Scott, I love the guy, just trying to give my honest opinion.

I think Rob and Eric sound great, up to their usual awesomeness, and Dean is just out of control on this album. So many great riffs, and it feels like every song has another outstanding, interesting, unique guitar solo. He really took it to another level, and for me, kind of equalized Scott's sub-par performance. I had the experience of feeling that several songs were "saved" by Dean.

Also, something that was really missing for me on this album was the lack of softer songs. There were pretty much none on this album. I've always loved STP softer side in addition to their incredible hard rocking side, and this album just has none of it. There weren't even any real ballads on this album either, and I think we all know, that they write a freaking good ballad. I think this album may have been a lot stronger, more well rounded if a song like About a Fool had been included. I also think the addition of Samba Nova is actually really good too for balancing out the album.

Anyway, I need to give the album many more listens, but those are my initial thoughts on it. Feel free to disagree.

Standout tracks for me are:

Huckleberry Crumble
Take a Load Off - my favorite song on the album
Hazy Daze - is it just me or does this song not have a MJY feel?
Bagman - Love the solo at the end of this song
you couldn\'t swing if you were hangin\' from a palm tree in a hurricane

Bipolarbear126

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2010, 07:53:49 AM »
Quote from: "loungeflyy"
I think this album may have been a lot stronger, more well rounded if a song like About a Fool had been included. I also think the addition of Samba Nova is actually really good too for balancing out the album.

Actually, About a Fool is included in the iTunes deluxe edition, but only if you pre-order it.

I also think more ballads would've made this album way better. But First Kiss on Mars and Maver are some of the best songs on this album.
Cocaine. Alcohol. Lady-lay. Withdrawal.

Silverman Supergun

• Thetan level 7
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »
More ballads would have made this album better?  

God died a little bit when you wrote that.  Shape up...
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes cause I walked too softly.  But in my defense, he was a Macho Pendejo.

trippinjim

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2010, 12:57:30 PM »
Early days folks, just hang on if you can?  8)

More ballads?  Pop or not they are a rock band.  :-

I'm finding the album the album is a split personality (somehow appropriate  ;D ).  Loving the harder stuff -my normal preference, and the softer stuff which I also enjoy I think is not perhaps as strong as past offerings.

Still very glad to have this in my hands tho and I'm also prepared to give it a lot more listening before any true judgements.

Interestingly, it got released for retail sale today (21st) in Aust, not 25th as announced on the OS.  Are we early for some reason?

loungeflyy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »
Quote from: "Bipolarbear126"
Quote from: "loungeflyy"
I think this album may have been a lot stronger, more well rounded if a song like About a Fool had been included. I also think the addition of Samba Nova is actually really good too for balancing out the album.

Actually, About a Fool is included in the iTunes deluxe edition, but only if you pre-order it.

I also think more ballads would've made this album way better. But First Kiss on Mars and Maver are some of the best songs on this album.

Yea, but I would want it in the middle of the album, and really part of it, not just bonus.

When I say ballad, read: Plush, Atlanta, Kitchenware and Candybars, Lady Picture Show, etc. All their greatest songs. This album lacks that powerful song(s) that really grabs your heart.

And I honestly do think there are some great tunes, but there aren't any true standouts that compare to their the best songs (or even some of the weaker songs) on their other albums.
you couldn\'t swing if you were hangin\' from a palm tree in a hurricane

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2010, 02:15:02 PM »
See I am not a HUGE of the slower ones I LOVE fast as i can  and I love hazy as well as the ones we had already heard...but when i get sick of overplaying the fast ones i will over play the slow ones and they will become my favorites  LOL
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Eighth Caged Tiger

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2010, 02:37:41 PM »
It took me a few listens to really "get" SLDD, but now it is one of my favorites.  The new album pretty much hooked me on the first listen.  It's got some tracks that don't blow me away, but overall it was love at first listen.  Anyone comparing some tracks to "bubblegum" need to turn on their radio and listen to Justin Bieber, Avril, etc - THAT is bubblegum -  assembled on an assembly line by slick producers, professional songwriters, with no actual artistry or input from the "artist" in question.

Anybody comparing "Maver" to Bon Jovi isn't very familiar with the homogenized generic crap that is Bon Jovi.  Maver feels more like an ode to their Glenn Campbell love to me.  To me, Maver is the heart-grabber on the record, along the lines of Atlanta, Kitchenware & Candybars, etc.  It's less personal, but the soul is there.  I know a lot of fans would prefer they go back to Purple, but I love that they keep experimenting and growing - it has produced some uneven albums like Tiny Music, but I prefer something that is uneven but a noble effort than slick assembly line rock junk like Nickelback.

DadaelusJones

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2010, 03:07:52 PM »
I'm sad to see so many people bash the pop tunes. Well crafted pop (played on actual instruments) is such a rarity these days.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2010, 03:31:44 PM »
I dont why but I remember Dave Grohl of all people saying in a interview years ago saying smething to the fact that its harder to write a good pop-rock song thats just 3 minutes then the standard 5 minute tune.  

I have no idea if it has any relevance here but with all the talk of pop-rock tunes on the album this just came to me.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2010, 04:21:32 PM »
I love this album!  Definitely sounds the most like Tiny Music to me.  If you listen to the new album including Samba Nova then pop in Tiny, it is such a great transition.  Ok about the album being poppy how is Take a load off, Huckleberry Crumble, Hazy Daze, Fast as I can, Peacoat, and First kiss on mars poppy?  Dare if I Dare is a classic Beatles type song and Maver is a beautiful ballad.  Their ballads are always where they shine in my eyes.

RGF030

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2010, 04:42:19 PM »
Im I the only one who thinks  Take A Load Off is full of STPs signature "mid tempo" rock song and sounds like it could have come right from Purple?

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2010, 04:45:16 PM »
Quote from: "RGF030"
Im I the only one who thinks  Take A Load Off is full of STPs signature "mid tempo" rock song and sounds like it could have come right from Purple?

No I think most people feel that way  :)
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »
I dont get the Purple thing just because Scotts voice is so much different, but musically its close.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

robschmidt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2010, 04:57:20 PM »
Quote from: "Stpilots98"
I love this album!  Definitely sounds the most like Tiny Music to me.  If you listen to the new album including Samba Nova then pop in Tiny, it is such a great transition.  Ok about the album being poppy how is Take a load off, Huckleberry Crumble, Hazy Daze, Fast as I can, Peacoat, and First kiss on mars poppy?  Dare if I Dare is a classic Beatles type song and Maver is a beautiful ballad.  Their ballads are always where they shine in my eyes.

Well said. Scott was right when he said Dean "really stepped it up." I love grunge-era STP, but I continue to be amazed at how they constantly re-invent themselves. I think this album will be well received by the younger music generation. There's a better chance that a kid in high school would listen to Between the Lines then a "Wicked Garden type" song.
--Rob--