October 01, 2024, 12:41:07 PM

Author Topic: Portuguese Interview with Eric Kretz  (Read 4455 times)

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Portuguese Interview with Eric Kretz
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:52:41 PM »
Original link: virgula.uol.com.br

Messy translation by GoogleTranslate:
After driving for half an hour to the beach in Santa Monica, near Los Angeles, waited several minutes until Eric Kretz, drummer for Stone Temple Pilots, arrived to talk about the new album, Between the Lines. It is the first disk of STP after seven years in limbo and it's great.

Once Kretz appeared to talk to the comma and asked about the favorites in the World Cup, he knew he was facing a great opportunity. Kretz said on the sidelines of Between the Lines, his early career, the band's dynamics, the changes imposed by the technology in the music world, but it all started ... Well, with football. Check out the exclusive interview!

Whence this interest in football?

I played a lot as a child and continued enjoying it. Where can I watch the European Championships, but the Major League Soccer [American League] is not excited (laughs).

And will watch the World Cup? So I asked about the favorites?

(Laughs) You're Brazilian, you have someone better to ask? (Laughs). I'll be on tour in July, then when the weather gets bad and we have nowhere to go, watch the World Cup will be the best program. I'm programming and I want to know which teams to keep an eye. Imagine watching football in HD. It makes all the difference, it's beautiful. It's like the master painters of antiquity, they could add new layers of color, shadows, highlight each point. Whether the NFL or the World Cup, the technology received fantastically.

And if technology has made it in to the cinema, as it has affected the way of making music?

The creation process has not changed much. Between the Lines is the first album where Dean got four or five songs fully arranged and even demo with guitars, drum solos and even in some cases. All this so that we felt the spirit of each song. But it did not necessarily easy because of technology, but mainly by seven years away from the studio. This time, we were able to test many new things for ease of editing, after all, we need no longer be running the tapes to find the exact point, cut with scissors and then patching with tape.

I believe that this new reality influence your way of looking at the battery, right? This opens up more room to experiment with new sounds or ways of playing?

Undoubtedly. Experience more is the biggest addition this process, especially doing things humanly impossible (laughs). One of the things I did in Between the Lines was hit two dishes on the right, while knocking in two dishes on the left. It was like I had several arms and Shiva! (Laughs).

How will replicate this effect in the tour? Already found a way to get two extra arms?

(Laughs) It would not be a bad idea! Well, it's a very timely moment in the album and find it you need to know what you're looking for. Is not nothing going to compromise, but in any event, the live version always undergoes some slight modifications. Found a way to simulate the feeling on their own, but it will not hamper the implementation. After all, it is impossible! (Laughs)

Since you like music and films, I believe it has seen the movie "Crazy Heart, with Jeff Bridges?

Yes, great movie!

Well, remember the scene where Bad Blake (Bridges) finishes writing "The Weary Kind" and the character of Maggie Gyllenhaal says she already knew the impression that music, and Bad explains: "They have songs that face, it sounds like known. " That was how I reacted to Between the Lines. An immediate connection and I go beyond, a sort of resumption of the rhythm of the 90s. It was the intention? It is time for a return of that style?

Wow, man! It is exactly the same with me when I hear some discs, you know? It is the feeling of listening to exactly what I want there to pick up immediately at that pace and be involved. Planning this effect is impossible. It's just the result of the four band members were willing to do at that moment, even where we let ourselves be guided by the influence of each. It is the famous "chemistry" of the band.

With the culture of downloading a path of no return, you have to worry more than usual with the quality to ensure "increased sales"? After all, the Internet, you need to sell ridiculously well to earn something ...

Fortunately, this does not affect us because we are fortunate enough to have a strong record in pitching. The sound quality is maintained at a level of quality we want and the CD is the best channel to transmit this quality. I like listening to MP3 music when I'm using headphones, but I can not say the same when I use a better audio system, either the car or, especially, in my studio.

There is so much noise here that the experience becomes unbearable because of compression of the quality required for music to fit in 4 or 5 MB of space. The musician is harmed by it. It's like watching a football game on a tiny TV and black and white. Everyone wants and deserves, watch in high definition!

Speaking of the Internet generation, do you think the music of you and interacts with it? Worry about the message?

Everything depends on the message to which you propose. I am bit of entertainment when I see people getting involved in politics or matters outside its purview. Most of that staff began life modestly, or even poor, for there have been high in Hollywood feel that their opinion is valid. The more I study, read, inform me and live with the policy, most repair how politicians are problematic and that the bosses are the lobbyists. You must be a professional politician to be able to speak properly about all this. Okay the guy talking with friends at a bar table in the little party of her son, but to spread the ideas on TV or the Internet - where people will be affected and, perhaps, take action based on what - seems irresponsible.

In the case of Stone Temple Pilots, there is a line guide to the stance of the band?

Not necessarily. The music itself is the message. These four individuals are passionate and determined. We are not as solid and well-structured personally to try to save the world (laughs). When I see people like Bono doing, especially after having done both on a global scale, I want to join that group, but it takes a much more balanced and hopeless for years and it is not our case. Consistency is key.

I mean, then, that lack personal consistency to the band?

Staff a bit, but it happens because they do not crave that position. Lyrically, we must give credit to Scott. When we started the band, we were idealists sitting in a cafe talking politics with any artist or intellectual. Had a passion for the subject, I mean, it still exists, but does not guide our paths. Scott read so much and can relate to her feelings, things that leave you with fear, or turn the tables and address moments of extreme happiness or victory. The result is that he knows a story like few others.

Many bands or musicians trying to get out of these periods of hiatus with covers or formulas for guaranteed success. This was discussed at some point?

No. Recording is cool covers like exercise and as a tribute, but if it is to record an album full of them is better to join a band that only plays on weekends at bars and parties (laughs). Are clones. Not that it looks bad, for example, I heard a cover of New World Man, Rush, in a style quite e ... was brilliant. Do not know who did, but left me jaw dropped. I was pissing in the bathroom and was music, I got scared and thought: "ah? Rush? ". It was kind of surreal. Lyrically, Rush is good anywhere.

Was afraid of the last earthquake?

Neither! (Laughs). Unless things start to fall from the shelves, do not care (laughs). I was raised in San Jose, in California, so I'm used to. Now the interesting thing was seeing the faces of my wife. She panicked! She is Canadian. I started laughing hysterically in front of her. She was not very happy. When I get scared, then she can not despair.
It's the end of the world coming! (Laughs) Earthquakes, volcanoes, many natural disasters. I just do not understand the magnitude of what happened in Chile. Anything can happen.

Music can change people?

Absolutely! Starting with me, I changed because of the music. When I opened the album Alive II, KISS, age 10, and saw the stage from the perspective of Peter Criss, with that battery giant taking over half the picture, freaked out! That scene changed little boy. I wanted to live that circus of lights, guitars, rock and roll and all that energy coming from the audience. At that moment I began to learn guitar. My father helped a bit, because I have always brought new discs. Listened to a bluegrass AC / DC, so it was easy to wake up this monster hungry for new music and styles.

Ready for the tour?

Almost! (Laughs) I understand that the United States began in June, headed for Europe in July, and South America in October. I'm excited to go. Never visited Brazil. We played in Argentina last year. It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers. The way they understand the music, know the rhythms, with each note. It's a passion, found in South America In the United States, people get excited about the hits, but on their continent, EVERYTHING made sense. It was one of the most vivid experiences ever in a show.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Portuguese Interview with Eric Kretz
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:59:17 PM »
The Shiva line takes u back to Spiralarms :D

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »
N they referred to the album as Between The Lines... ??? :)

NoMemory_Sin

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 05:09:05 AM »
STP in southamerica on October!!!! yeah baby!!!!
CORPORATE MEDIA STILL SUCK

STP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:14:04 PM »
Is it a fresh interview?

Cuz he said "we played in South America last year." Actually was in 2008 or TWO years ago.
Whatever they say I am, that's what I'm not!

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:28:03 AM »
Quote from: "STP"
Is it a fresh interview?

Cuz he said "we played in South America last year." Actually was in 2008 or TWO years ago.

Is it too much if I ask you to check out the translation? It wasn't easy to read for me  :D

Anyway, what's important
Ready for the tour?

Almost! (Laughs) I understand that the United States began in June, headed for Europe in July, and South America in October. I'm excited to go. Never visited Brazil. We played in Argentina last year. It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers. The way they understand the music, know the rhythms, with each note. It's a passion, found in South America In the United States, people get excited about the hits, but on their continent, EVERYTHING made sense. It was one of the most vivid experiences ever in a show.

October!!!!!???!!!!!! OMG! I thought Robert said 2011, as long as they keep us in mind.
What he said about the show here brought some happiness tears to my eyes (corny, I know, but I'd give what I don't have to live that again)

PS: I had to idea he was a soccer fan, sweet ;D (if I read well)
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 03:23:56 AM »
Found this Spanish interview with Dean
http://www.mondosonoro.com/detas/Detall ... %208:00:00

Translation by Google +what I fixed or tried to  ;)
Somehow, Stone Temple Pilots have always swum against the tide. Accused first to be a crude copy of Pearl Jam or Alice In Chains, those of San Diego had to earn the respect of the public. Respect that "Stone Temple Pilots" gets to keep intact.

It took them much effort to be considered a band with own identity. It was not easy at first, in despite of good sales accompaning them, but here they are. "Core" was his most grunge album, in "Purple" they established their infectious melodies and their most direct hits. From there, they went to hard rock, pop, glam and even psychedelia. And it seems that also in "Stone Temple Pilots", with the single "Between The Lines" on the front, there is a clear intention to surprise us with a different view of his style. "Every record has drawn a line, artistically we have a reputation, a style, but we try to not repeat ourselves, be resourceful, that every time we deliver new material be able to feel that the shit you're giving people like it." I mention to him a list of influences, from seventies' pop to David Bowie's glam stage, which come to light in "Cinnamon" or "Bagman", as they did before on albums such as "Tiny Music ... Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop" and "Shangri-LA DEE DA ".  "I understand you see these influences, as they are obvious, but obviously I'm going to do another analysis. This is our most country album, because of songs like 'Huckleberry Crumble' or 'First Kiss On Mars', but no country in the traditional sense of the term". And now Stone Temple Pilots face the world without the sought after Brendan O'Brien, who has been with them through the vast majority of their previous work. "The album was produced by my brother and I, and in general it was all very different since we recorded in a handful of weeks sandwiched between a tour of eight months". The international scene has changed and many continue to see Stone Temple Pilots as representatives of the alternative scene of the nineties. It might give the impression that they weren't to fit the times we're living, but nothing is further from the truth. There's expectation in The United States, they have been on the cover of Billboard and are considered a classic American rock. And the conflict with his label has done nothing but add morbidity to the matter. "The music business is rotten. This is a catastrophe, so what's supposed to happen will happen. Our peace is in now the tours work very well, lots of tickets are sold, there is where the business is. People are misplaced, record companies disappear every day, and nobody trust in anything. The situation is very different now than in the nineties, a period beautiful, energetic, with bands sprouting daily. Now everything is free for everyone, and that makes very dificult to point out which scenes dominate, which bands are eating the world. We sold ten million albums, so now it would be stupid, we can not expect to reap those numbers again. We have to adapt". Things are not easy, but nobody said they always are. Without going any further, the continuing conflict between the guitarist Dean DeLeo (our partner) and Scott Weiland in the past led to many frictions within the band that so far seem controlled. "Scott was a bad boy last night, but today seems to be happy. Like everyone else, is satisfied that Stone Temple Pilots are back in orbit. Right now he's in the kitchen, and he's whom you're listening to scream, but I keep an eye on him in case he makes a prank".(laughs) Stone Temple Pilots are back. And though they have been for five years in dry dock (from the compilation "Thank You"), they have never ceased to play and always had time for other adventures alone and with Velvet Revolver (Weiland) or Talk Show and Army Of Anyone (with Richard Patrick, former Filter, the DeLeo brothers). "For me, Filter's 'Title Of Record' is one of the best albums I've heard in my life. Recording with him, to experiment together was absolutely wonderful. Commercially it did not work, but neither was this the goal. Having the opportunity to collaborate with other musicians is what really motivated us of the project. I will not cheat if I told you I would have liked to sell more records and have more impact, but I could not give an explanation why".
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"