September 28, 2024, 08:23:45 PM

Author Topic: iTunes Versions of the album  (Read 23406 times)

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "so much depends on the weather"
    • View Profile
Re: iTunes Versions of the album
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2010, 04:43:06 PM »
And don't overlook the idea of STP perhaps playing the bonus "outtake" songs LIVE as a result of them now being in the "official" catalog of songs!

They could easily replace "Sour Girl" and "Creep" for acoustic versions of songs we haven't/rarely seen aka "Days of the Week" and "Somba Nova".

Killer.
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice
6/8 The Cure
6/25 Public Enemy

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2010, 04:48:22 PM »
Quote from: "oldleadbelly"
Exactly what I meant when I called the versions we have now "shitty."  They were actually cleaned up quite a bit from the initial version Rik received...and I believe that was done by you, right John?  You did a great job, but you can only do so much with what you were given to work with.
Thanks!  Indeed it was.

Unfortunately, you're correct.  Mastering a 128 kbps MP3 is literally spit-shining a piece of shit.  That being said, it has arguably been proven that you can shine shit.

I listen to those versions I did several years ago and cringe at a few things.  I've learned quite a bit since and I have a lot more experience nitpicking details.  I also have really nice studio monitors now (and a really accurate bass transducer).  They let me hear every last little imperfection.

Really, I was pushing too much treble back then.  My thought was that if I could push the treble higher and maybe reconstitute some higher frequencies, they'd sound "clearer".  Now, to an extent, I think that's true.  They do sound clearer.  They could just use to be more carefully EQed so that they're a bit more balanced and contain less "offensive" frequencies.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2010, 04:51:06 PM »
"Give an inch take a mile"  as the famous saying goes.  When they only gave a bonus track to Japan people were wondering why they could get one.  Now we have two bonus tracks, 3 live one a DVD, Vinyl its still not enough.  Some folks are never grateful.

Ill be the 1st to admit STP has never been great at giving extra material out, but even the band have admitted they dont do B-sides and they like to keep a certain level of mystery.  So that should be expected.  The fact that this time were getting so many options for a STP release really blows my mind and is actually making things tough.  So im going to bitch that STP has too much shit coming out.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2010, 07:06:50 PM »
Quote from: "John"
Exactly what I meant when I called the versions we have now "shitty."  They were actually cleaned up quite a bit from the initial version Rik received...and I believe that was done by you, right John?  You did a great job, but you can only do so much with what you were given to work with.
Thanks!  Indeed it was.

Unfortunately, you're correct.  Mastering a 128 kbps MP3 is literally spit-shining a piece of shit.  That being said, it has arguably been proven that you can shine shit.

I listen to those versions I did several years ago and cringe at a few things.  I've learned quite a bit since and I have a lot more experience nitpicking details.  I also have really nice studio monitors now (and a really accurate bass transducer).  They let me hear every last little imperfection.

Really, I was pushing too much treble back then.  My thought was that if I could push the treble higher and maybe reconstitute some higher frequencies, they'd sound "clearer".  Now, to an extent, I think that's true.  They do sound clearer.  They could just use to be more carefully EQed so that they're a bit more balanced and contain less "offensive" frequencies.

Well, I thought they sounded pretty good.  I'm glad we at least had those recordings to listen to for the last 6 years.  The majority of the time I listen to music is on my iPod during workouts or at work, so I always thought the unreleased tracks sounded fine.  If I'm listening on my stereo at home, it'd be ideal to have everything redone in DVD audio quality like they did with the Core DVD in 2000 (that sounds amazing).  I just take what I can get.  

I guess I'm just saying I was surprised that people thought they sounded bad, becuase they're way better quality than any other demos I have.  So, I don't think you have any reason to be down on your work, the files have made me happy these last 6 years.
Sin make me strong.

ArnoldLayne

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »
I'm happy to get those two bonus tracks!! Great news!  ;D
Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
Fugazi - 2000-10-10
Stone Temple Pilots - 2001-08-21
The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2010, 09:08:08 PM »
I guess I found the way to pre-order this from here! and legally!  ;D  ;D  ;D
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2010, 10:07:31 PM »
For fuck's sake guys, I can't believe how unappreciative we have become as a society in general.  STP is giving us a new album, new tour, new promotions, dvd extras, television appearances, etc. and you get pissed b/c two of the revealed b-sides are GREAT songs that you have only heard a shitty demo of?  Come on.

I am beyond thrilled with the news that we are getting what will certainly be newly recorded, produced, and mastered renditions of About a Fool and Samba Nova.  Look, these are songs STP wanted on SLDD, but management balked, then demo versions were released 3 years later once the band broke up.  I don't even believe the band leaked them.  From what I remember, a guy named Erik (who received them during the Family Values Tour) handed them over to Rik.  

We also know these songs were very dear to Robert, and maybe he just wants to make sure they get a proper release.  Quit acting like STP is giving you a raw deal.

This post sucked. I don't even want to dissect it, but I did want to say that it sucked.  I don't think anyone is really complaining, although it can be pointed out that there was more logical use for the B-side material than what it's being used for.

::)
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

JWeber

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2010, 10:30:27 PM »
I'm not sure how bad STP wants to get out of their contract, but as a fan, I would love it if they would take all these b-sides and crank out a few albums with them so they can fulfull their comitment, then go on to doing whatever it was Scott had in mind.

I'm courious as to what STP would come up with as free agents.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2010, 10:59:19 PM »
I'm actually not a fan of B-Sides at the ends of albums. I'd rather STP put out a B-Sides album in the same vein as Smashing Pumpkins' Pisces Iscariot.

Jeremy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2010, 12:21:53 AM »
I'm pretty excited about the live DVD (Though hate the fact there are THREE different versions of which to get extras.... That's too much to essentially buy the record three times), but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything more than AaF and Samba Nova. Remember how STP said they recorded 30 songs for #4? How about SLDD? There's little reason why three songs would surface but not the other 27.

My point is; We can pretty much assume that was untrue. Hence the "We've recorded 18 songs for this album".... I just doubt that is true.

Still, at least they are progressing as a band releasing a new record, rather than playing the same places with the same set list every night. I just hope this record isn't disappointing, I haven't been feeling the new songs very much.

I'm actually not a fan of B-Sides at the ends of albums. I'd rather STP put out a B-Sides album in the same vein as Smashing Pumpkins' Pisces Iscariot.

I agree; I think it ruins the flow of the album. Some bands have the extras be on a bonus disc; I like that concept a lot more.

~Jeremy~

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2010, 12:45:35 AM »
True about the bsides but thats only on the one version of the cd, or at least I think so.  I think ill be buying the Vinyl and bonus cd.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2010, 01:11:55 AM »
Quote from: "Jeremy"
I'm pretty excited about the live DVD (Though hate the fact there are THREE different versions of which to get extras.... That's too much to essentially buy the record three times), but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything more than AaF and Samba Nova. Remember how STP said they recorded 30 songs for #4? How about SLDD? There's little reason why three songs would surface but not the other 27.

My point is; We can pretty much assume that was untrue. Hence the "We've recorded 18 songs for this album".... I just doubt that is true.

Still, at least they are progressing as a band releasing a new record, rather than playing the same places with the same set list every night. I just hope this record isn't disappointing, I haven't been feeling the new songs very much.

I agree; I think it ruins the flow of the album. Some bands have the extras be on a bonus disc; I like that concept a lot more.

~Jeremy~

Why would they lie about how many songs they recorded? Bottom line being, they did write 30 songs for No. 4. But chances are are a lot of those were unfinished demos and the 2 that have surfaced were the most presentable (the same is probably true for About a Fool, Learning to Drive and Samba Nova for SLDD)

As for the new album, Scott never said they recorded 18 songs. Scott said Dean and Rob had written 18 and that at that point he had written vocals for about 10 of them. He later said they were going to record about 14 songs, 12 for the album and then a couple for B-sides. He never said that the extra songs they were recording were entirely new material.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

oldleadbelly

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2010, 02:11:18 AM »
Quote from: "IMJ"
For fuck's sake guys, I can't believe how unappreciative we have become as a society in general.  STP is giving us a new album, new tour, new promotions, dvd extras, television appearances, etc. and you get pissed b/c two of the revealed b-sides are GREAT songs that you have only heard a shitty demo of?  Come on.

I am beyond thrilled with the news that we are getting what will certainly be newly recorded, produced, and mastered renditions of About a Fool and Samba Nova.  Look, these are songs STP wanted on SLDD, but management balked, then demo versions were released 3 years later once the band broke up.  I don't even believe the band leaked them.  From what I remember, a guy named Erik (who received them during the Family Values Tour) handed them over to Rik.  

We also know these songs were very dear to Robert, and maybe he just wants to make sure they get a proper release.  Quit acting like STP is giving you a raw deal.

This post sucked. I don't even want to dissect it, but I did want to say that it sucked.  I don't think anyone is really complaining, although it can be pointed out that there was more logical use for the B-side material than what it's being used for.

::)

I can't express in words how crushed I am that you think my post sucked.  I will try harder to please you next time.  Accept my sincerest apologies.  :-*

JWeber

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2010, 04:48:11 PM »
I checked out the I-tunes page for the delux and I see that at the top of the page it has the Target logo and says "exclusive album found only at Target and I-tunes"

I would say it's a safe be the CD/DVD and the I-tunes exclusive are the same.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »
Quote from: "JWeber"
I checked out the I-tunes page for the delux and I see that at the top of the page it has the Target logo and says "exclusive album found only at Target and I-tunes"

I would say it's a safe be the CD/DVD and the I-tunes exclusive are the same.

with the exception of "About A Fool".  That may be an i-Tunes exclusive since it is only available for people who pre-order.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.