September 28, 2024, 06:19:21 PM

Author Topic: iTunes Versions of the album  (Read 23401 times)

STPCreep

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: iTunes Versions of the album
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2010, 11:58:12 PM »
If it's such a problem to you guys, save the money and buy the regular version! :)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 12:00:35 AM »
Quote from: "andrew"
I'm just disappointed that because of this, we're probably never gonna get to hear the version of About A Fool that the DeLeos recorded with Seal.

I asked Robert about it. He pretty much said the same thing to me as the quote in the songs section: Almost made him cry!

Seal's good, but would you have prefered his version of Sour Girl?
Grab the hate and drown it out...

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2010, 12:12:37 AM »
Quote from: "Blue"
Quote from: "andrew"
I'm just disappointed that because of this, we're probably never gonna get to hear the version of About A Fool that the DeLeos recorded with Seal.

I asked Robert about it. He pretty much said the same thing to me as the quote in the songs section: Almost made him cry!

Seal's good, but would you have prefered his version of Sour Girl?

I dunno. I would like to have heard anything and everything they recorded with him.
Bleeda blooda

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2010, 12:23:43 AM »
Maybe Rob will put it on his solo cd when that comes out .. so yeah you'll probably never hear it.

Piece_of_Pie

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2010, 12:29:38 AM »
Quote from: "STEAK"
With that logic then "Most STP fans" won't like these songs.  Those unreleased tracks are the type of songs that us fans on the boards (the hardcore fans) like, and the casual STP fans don't like and bitch about at a concert while standing in the pit trashed.  All the casual fans want to hear are songs they barley know the words to (singles), and hard rock they can jump around and act like retards to.

So I guess that makes us .0000001% of the fan base that actually likes the MUSIC itself, and not the 90's novelty of it all, and the excuse to go to a concert and be a drunk retard.

Maybe, but I think a lot of so-called casual STP fans will greatly appreciate hearing these songs, especially if they've never been exposed to them before.

Those songs were/are too good to be stuck in the d/l section of below empty forever. I'm glad that they're going to be on this album and (hopefully) get the recognition they deserve.

Besides, you act like they've got better songs just lying around being not-listened to. That's an unwarranted assumption. Who knows what else they recorded... Maybe they did record a few other songs, but they didn't meet their OWN standards. Who knows?

I'm sure they had good reason to select these two songs---b/c they like them, and b/c they want (more) people to hear them. That seems like a good reason to me.

Slim Jim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 01:08:49 AM »
I can't believe that out of the outtakes they didn't pick You Can't Drive Me Away. That would have been the one song I would have been excited for, hearing it properly mastered or rerecorded. I personally thing it's the best song out of the outtakes, although the lyrics/vocals could be improved upon a bit.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." - George W. Bush

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 01:14:48 AM »
Quote from: "Slim Jim"
I can't believe that out of the outtakes they didn't pick You Can't Drive Me Away. That would have been the one song I would have been excited for, hearing it properly mastered or rerecorded. I personally thing it's the best song out of the outtakes, although the lyrics/vocals could be improved upon a bit.

They said they recorded several tracks in addition to the ones that are making the album. iTunes isn't the only place where you can get an album with bonus tracks.
Bleeda blooda

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2010, 03:39:19 AM »
Quote from: "Piece_of_Pie"
With that logic then "Most STP fans" won't like these songs.  Those unreleased tracks are the type of songs that us fans on the boards (the hardcore fans) like, and the casual STP fans don't like and bitch about at a concert while standing in the pit trashed.  All the casual fans want to hear are songs they barley know the words to (singles), and hard rock they can jump around and act like retards to.

So I guess that makes us .0000001% of the fan base that actually likes the MUSIC itself, and not the 90's novelty of it all, and the excuse to go to a concert and be a drunk retard.

Maybe, but I think a lot of so-called casual STP fans will greatly appreciate hearing these songs, especially if they've never been exposed to them before.

Those songs were/are too good to be stuck in the d/l section of below empty forever. I'm glad that they're going to be on this album and (hopefully) get the recognition they deserve.

Besides, you act like they've got better songs just lying around being not-listened to. That's an unwarranted assumption. Who knows what else they recorded... Maybe they did record a few other songs, but they didn't meet their OWN standards. Who knows?

I'm sure they had good reason to select these two songs---b/c they like them, and b/c they want (more) people to hear them. That seems like a good reason to me.

I'm sure some of the casual fans will like these "bonus" songs.... but nevertheless they're OLD songs.  (At least 10 years old for that matter.)  Chances are they probably didn't re-record them, they just had someone re-mix it so it's good enough to release.  Obviously these songs didn't meet "their OWN standards" 10 years ago, so now they all of a sudden do?  They probably didn't have time to re-mix or re-record anything they had, so they just took these outtakes and re-labeled them as "bonus".

I'm SURE they have better songs lying around.  The fact that these 4 outtake songs exist prove that they have better songs lying around, b/c these songs have been lying around for a decade already. Plus, I'm sure there are several other songs that were just as good, but never got leaked... and now they're just sitting on a computer somewhere.  Who knows... maybe some of the newer outtakes will be leaked, or end up as bonus tracks for their next album.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE STP...  but as a band they've never really put out that much material for the fans...  almost no bonus songs, b-sides, concerts, live tracks, covers, etc...  It's just a shame that other lesser bands release so much more material, and STP is re-using 10 year old songs that a lot of people already heard.  

Hell.... even VR only put out 2 albums, but they had a TON of official bonus songs and studio covers (almost enough for an entire 3rd album worth of material.)
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2010, 04:39:01 AM »
Quote from: "Piece_of_Pie"

I'm sure some of the casual fans will like these "bonus" songs.... but nevertheless they're OLD songs.  (At least 10 years old for that matter.)  Chances are they probably didn't re-record them, they just had someone re-mix it so it's good enough to release.  Obviously these songs didn't meet "their OWN standards" 10 years ago, so now they all of a sudden do?  They probably didn't have time to re-mix or re-record anything they had, so they just took these outtakes and re-labeled them as "bonus".

I'm SURE they have better songs lying around.  The fact that these 4 outtake songs exist prove that they have better songs lying around, b/c these songs have been lying around for a decade already. Plus, I'm sure there are several other songs that were just as good, but never got leaked... and now they're just sitting on a computer somewhere.  Who knows... maybe some of the newer outtakes will be leaked, or end up as bonus tracks for their next album.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE STP...  but as a band they've never really put out that much material for the fans...  almost no bonus songs, b-sides, concerts, live tracks, covers, etc...  It's just a shame that other lesser bands release so much more material, and STP is re-using 10 year old songs that a lot of people already heard.  

Hell.... even VR only put out 2 albums, but they had a TON of official bonus songs and studio covers (almost enough for an entire 3rd album worth of material.)

They probably don't wanna release more stuff cuz they wanna add all the leftovers to the other album lol actually yea that is what Scott said that they had some extra material to add to another album after that.
If you only knew..

DumbLove

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2010, 05:19:32 AM »
Quote from: "oldleadbelly"
For fuck's sake guys, I can't believe how unappreciative we have become as a society in general.  STP is giving us a new album, new tour, new promotions, dvd extras, television appearances, etc. and you get pissed b/c two of the revealed b-sides are GREAT songs that you have only heard a shitty demo of?  Come on.

I am beyond thrilled with the news that we are getting what will certainly be newly recorded, produced, and mastered renditions of About a Fool and Samba Nova.  Look, these are songs STP wanted on SLDD, but management balked, then demo versions were released 3 years later once the band broke up.  I don't even believe the band leaked them.  From what I remember, a guy named Erik (who received them during the Family Values Tour) handed them over to Rik.  

We also know these songs were very dear to Robert, and maybe he just wants to make sure they get a proper release.  Quit acting like STP is giving you a raw deal.

I don't think anyone is pissed by any means - speaking for myself, I couldn't be more ecstatic that they are releasing a new album and will buy the deluxe edition regardless of what the bonus tracks are.  I am pumped that I will be able to hear 12 new songs period and can't recall the last time I've been this excited about a new album.

Only thing I was trying to say is that I'd much rather have a couple of new songs I've never heard before rather than previously released/leaked or live material.  Something is better than nothing, but I'm pretty sure that most anyone on this site would pick two new songs over high quality recordings of About A Fool and Samba Nova.

And to extrapolate that society has become unappreciative in general from a couple of posts on a fansite message board is... a bit excessive.  We are all diehard fans here, but questioning or god forbid, criticizing, the band doesn't mean you love or appreciate them any less.

Silverman Supergun

• Thetan level 7
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2010, 05:44:07 AM »
Officially-
5 great all original albums.  
Secret song on Purple is hilarious.
Revolution cover, Break on Through cover, Dancin' Days cover.
The Thank You CD/DVD is sick.  CD has one original(AITSTYW)song and the extra Plush Headbangers ball acoustic song besides Greatest hits.  The videos and the rest on the DVD are ridiculous.  Glen Campbell.
6 great all original albums now, I hope.  Plus two bonus songs from SLDD era.  Maybe these songs represent a bridge between albums, eras, Suit that you Wear, etc...  3 bonus live songs.  Something new, nice.  Bonus interviews.  Again, new and nice.

They've kept it tight, but a sick catalogue with all media.  Is this overtime or just the start of the 3rd quarter for the boys?
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes cause I walked too softly.  But in my defense, he was a Macho Pendejo.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2010, 01:40:29 PM »
I'm just glad they are releasing anything extra.  I remember living through the tiny music era where all their b-sides were just album tracks from Tiny Music (exception being the live verision of Meatplow recorded in 1994 on the Japan release).  If you bought all 3 singles, you had 3/4 of the album already!  Some new live tracks, DVD interview, new quality verisons of previous outtakes, and perhaps some new songs on the bonus CD/international releases.....I'm very happy with all that.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

The Action Girls

• The ORIGINAL Melody Man
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Is she fighting for air?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2010, 02:42:38 PM »
I know I am definitely pre-ordering the deluxe edition off iTunes. I love iTunes anyhow. I don't mind two repackaged songs especially if they're remastered and/or remixed. I do however love pro-shot live stuff, so these three live songs are a welcome addition to me. Plus a 30 minute interview and a music video for $14.99? Insane
Back for another one

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2010, 02:51:07 PM »
I'm sorry - but you guys are turning into a bunch of spoiled crybabies.

I don't know if you guys weren't fans / were too young / whatever to remember - but like FiveStar said... we hardcore fans are used to "B-sides" being nothing more than album-tracks or live versions of album-tracks.

While we HAVE had the outtakes for some time now - they were NEVER officially released.  The songs being leaked and John beautifully mastering them was all something done by fans for fans.  

I couldn't be more excited about the idea of the boys re-recording these and finally releasing them officially!

Tori Amos released her Greatest Hits album and re-recorded several songs for it - as a fan, I was appreciative of the new spin she added on things and enjoyed listening to them to try and notice the changes.  Some I like better than the original, others I think are better than the first time around.

It's been almost ten years since we've had an album from these guys.  They're doing killer promotion, releasing all kinds of goodies (vinyl?  YES!), and you guys are still complaining.   I love you - but... ::)  ::)  ::)
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Silvergun Picture Show

• They Call Me Phil.
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Buy a minute, spend an hour burnin' burnin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2010, 04:28:56 PM »
Alot of people on this board ask for too much from this band.

I feel like certain people who post on here wouldn't be fully happy till scott, rob, dean, or eric wiped their ass for them. Seriously man.

We're getting a brand new album and bonus songs if you dont the idea of songs getting proper releases then tough shit!
STP: 08/22/10 - Cleveland, OH.
        08/28/10 - Pittsburgh, PA.

"Some of my finest hours have been spent on my back veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as my eye could see."
-Thoman Jefferson