September 27, 2024, 06:21:05 PM

Author Topic: This is the album that got me into STP  (Read 6899 times)

OnlyDying73

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
This is the album that got me into STP
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:35:32 PM »
tiny music was my first stp album, didnt pull me into the band.

i saw this album at fye for $5 so i bought it. then i was addicted to the band!

so under-rated...
Bad Religion - 10/18/10

bruno_animallover

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: This is the album that got me into STP
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 09:48:53 PM »
"Core" for me!

i discovered them in the order they came out!

OnlyDying73

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:50:47 PM »
Quote from: "bruno_animallover"
"Core" for me!

i discovered them in the order they came out!
well i hadnt even been concived wen core came out lol

i got into last year but im as deticated as anyone else
Bad Religion - 10/18/10

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:45:37 PM »
I didn't get Core until 10 years after it came out, but I still ended up getting the STP albums (almost) in the right order. I ended up buying Purple, Tiny Music & SLDD off Amazon, and a few months later got No. 4.

It's a good album. Hell, they're all good albums. STP is the first band I can listen to every album front to back without skipping a track.
Bleeda blooda

laynestaleyiscool

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:59:22 AM »
Same here. I was told it was shitty, but that STP was a good band...And I love that album. It's still my favorite STP album.

Shannon

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • I knew the questions but I lost the answers...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 03:50:36 AM »
I guess you have to say it was Core, but it was namely Plush. I heard that song on the radio ALL the time and told myself id look it up. And never did....until one day i did. Then the next few weeks went something like this

Week 1: Buy Core. Love nearly every song.
Week 2: Buy Purple. Hate it at first besides ISL.
Week 3: Give it another chance. Totally fall in love with Below Empty, kitchenware/candybars, vasoline, unglued
Week 4: Buy Tiny Music. The change in "Feel" of the album totally hit me like a shovel, but i still loved Big bang baby, Trippin on a hole, ride the cliche, seven caged tigers.

Then, I bought No4 and Shangri on their exact release dates as they came out in the future  :)  and never looked back.
Favorite STP songs at the moment: Hazey Daze, Fast as I Can, I Got You, Pruno

laynestaleyiscool

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 04:23:04 AM »
What's amazed me most about these albums is how much they grow on you overtime. After listening to STP's 5 albums for 2 years, I still couldn't get into "Tiny Music." The only songs I loved were Big Bang Baby, Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart, And So I Know, and Art School Girl...Just a few months ago I started listening to it and now I love that entire album. It's different from everything else, but it's an amazing album..."Shangri-La Dee Da" was sort of like that too. I only liked a few songs, but then the album grew on me in a big way. "Wonderful" is my favorite STP ballad ever.

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 06:42:26 PM »
I remember Sour Girl when it came out back in 1999.  I remember being mesmerized not only by the super clear and beautiful music video but by the magic of that song.  I'm a sucker for STP's pop tunes, they do them very well.  Of course I also prefer their Hard Rock tunes, and their almost smooth jazz type songs on Tiny Music.  I remember getting this album right when it came out and thinking that Brendan O'Brien's production on No.4, although different, made it feel more intimate between the listener and the band, if you can meld your mind around that.  It's hard to describe but nonetheless No.4 was my STP gateway and my favourite STP album.
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

Unglued

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 09:29:02 PM »
Started with Core.  I liked it immediately.  Sin was the first song I fell in love with.  Plush was... Plush a great radio rock song.  Crackerman still kills me.  I love when they play it live.

Left for vacation the day Purple came out and we all listened to it over and over in the car.  I just couldn't get enough.  Still my favorite album of all time.  Combination of a great time and a brilliant album IMO.  I still get goosebumps thinking of how the album starts with Meatplow and how the opening riff just sucked me in.

Tiny Music... At this point there are only 3 bands (not really but you know what I mean) that mean anything, AIC, PJ and STP.  Got back from Best Buy the day it came out and pressed play and was excited then confused.. excited and confused.  Remember anyone that says they were prepared for Tiny Music after Core and Purple are full of it.  I don't think any of us knew Tiny Music would sound like it did.  After the shock (and not all in a bad way) of And So I know and Art School Girl I just kept listening and listening.  What another brilliant record.  All these people talking about STP and them trying to be like every other grunge band and here they are making something outside of that.

No.4 I was so excited to put this CD in my car.  The first 4 songs blew me away.  Sour Girl was so different but I loved it right away.  I love every song with the exception of I Got You, which I like but don't love.  I loved MC5.  Atlanta was special since I was living there at the time and just seemed so perfect that it closed the album and I had just moved there shortly before.

SLLD I like this record but it is my least favorite of the first four albums.  I listened to the whole thing and liked it of course but it didn't hit me like the prior albums.  Then I started listening to it more and more and decided I love half of the album especially regeneration, wonderful, black again, hello it's late, too cool queenie and dumb love and like the rest of the album.  Still a great album but my least favorite STP album.

So far what I have heard and obviously I will wait until I hear the whole thing a few times to make a decision but I am very much enjoying the sound of this new one.  I think this has at least Tine Music possibilities for me.

Anyway, that is my two cents.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 09:40:54 PM »
Purple for me...well a little before Purple. I heard Big Empty on the Crow movie trailer and soon after purchased the Crow soundtrack in hopes that I would hear the song again. Luckily, I did and fell in love with the song. I got Purple followed by Core (I'd heard "Plush", but it didn't grab me like "Big Empty"), fell in love with the band, and the rest is history.

timryanokane

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 09:52:12 PM »
Many musicians cite this as their favorite STP album...

ReY_LaGartO

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »
my first STP cd was Nº 4, but purple is my favorite

CharlieBoston

• Pilot
  • Super Magic Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 09:03:17 PM »
Purple. I had heard of STP before, and I was one of those people who thought that Eddie Vedder cut his hair and dyed it to be in the video for Plush. Then a friend gave me an extra copy of Purple after hearing me mention that I dug one of STP's other tunes. I was hooked. But then the band REALLY dug their claws in me with Tiny Music. Just a brilliant album.
The answers get harder and the truth's getting farther and farther...

joelrojas84

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 07:57:36 PM »
N°4 and SLDD

SourBeagle

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 10:30:40 PM »
My first STP album was Core, but Purple hooked me and they became one of "my bands." 
“The news reports said I’d torched $10,000 worth of Scott’s clothes, which was wrong by a factor of eight. He was somewhat insulted at their estimate: ‘Eighty thousand dollars, Mary,’ he said later.”