September 29, 2024, 03:39:45 PM

Author Topic: Billboard.com Chart Position  (Read 64006 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: "Between the Lines" Billboard.com Chart Position
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2010, 12:12:04 AM »
Quote from: "Jim The Stimulator"
Between The Lines

Rock Songs: #1 (+1)
Alternative Songs: #3 (+6)

http://www.billboard.com/#/column/chart ... tag=hpfeed
That's incredible, this will surely hit No. 1 on Alternative soon and hopefully on all of the other charts.  This has to be their biggest rock radio hit since the Tiny Music era.  Eat shit Sorum, the world was waiting for new STP!

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2010, 12:45:08 AM »
Nice .. the only negative out of all of this is that the song is peaking so fast and the album is almost two months away from being released, buuut hopefully that alos mean theyll release another single closer to the drop date.

No STP on the Latin SIngs list :'(

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:35 AM »
I agree this is great. But......I don't think this is really based on fans requests, I think it's simply based on how many radio stations are playing it. Doesn't mean it's really all that popular with the people who are listening. To that end, I don't think it will automatically translate to great album sales.

Down was the "most added song to radio" when it came out. Mostly because stations expect STP to continue to be the radio darlings they have been in the past. My suspicion is the same thing is occurring here.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2010, 03:21:25 AM »
Quote from: "UnclePeppi"
I agree this is great. But......I don't think this is really based on fans requests, I think it's simply based on how many radio stations are playing it. Doesn't mean it's really all that popular with the people who are listening. To that end, I don't think it will automatically translate to great album sales.

Down was the "most added song to radio" when it came out. Mostly because stations expect STP to continue to be the radio darlings they have been in the past. My suspicion is the same thing is occurring here.

Down peaked at #5 on the Rock chart and #9 on the Alternative chart.  BTL has already beaten that in only 3 weeks.

Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
That's incredible, this will surely hit No. 1 on Alternative soon and hopefully on all of the other charts.  This has to be their biggest rock radio hit since the Tiny Music era.  Eat shit Sorum, the world was waiting for new STP!

Yep, it's the biggest hit STP has had since Trippin'.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2010, 03:39:18 AM »
Also, just want to clarify what these charts mean.  Some of the following I've copy and pasted from Wikipedia.

Alternative Songs, used to be called the Modern Rock chart before changing its name in June 2009.  It lists the 40 most-played songs on modern rock radio stations, most of which are alternative rock songs.  The chart is based solely on radio airplay and is a component chart of the Hot 100.  Songs are ranked by a calculation of the total number of spins per week with its "audience impression", which is based upon exact times of airplay and each station's Arbitron listener data.

Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks, is a ranking in Billboard magazine of the most-played songs on mainstream rock radio stations, a category that includes stations that play primarily rock music.  As of June 2009, this chart can only be accessed by Billboard subscriber only.

Rock Songs, ranks the airplay of songs on alternative, mainstream rock and triple A (adult alternative) radio stations.

Now you can compare how BTL is charting compared to previous STP singles.  Note that the Rock Songs chart did not exist until June 2009.  But because it combines the information of all 3 rock charts, it is the most important rock chart.

Also you may notice if you look at STP's chart history that they didn't chart at all on the Hot 100 until the single Down.  This is because many rock artists do not release commercial singles in the U.S.  Several popular songs which were not released as commercial singles did not qualify for the Hot 100 before December 1998, but performed very well.  Who knows how well ILS, Vasoline, or Plush would have charted if the Hot 100 worked as it does now, based on radio play and single sales.  (Before 1998, it was solely based on commercial singles).

RCLAR

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2010, 01:28:34 PM »
That's great! Ok, STP, time to move up the release to April to capitalize on this! Unless they're sitting on a even bigger single for a later release.
Karma schmarma.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2010, 02:08:44 PM »
This is all excellent news.  I just hope STP can stay at or near the top of the charts- that's what will be really meaningful.  If BTL is only #1 for 2 weeks and then falls down far (or off) the chart, then this jump won't mean much.  I don't think that will happen though, I think BTL has some legs and will continue to be a strong single.
Sin make me strong.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2010, 02:18:59 PM »
Quote from: "RCLAR"
That's great! Ok, STP, time to move up the release to April to capitalize on this! Unless they're sitting on a even bigger single for a later release.

I don't know, I think this early exposure is a good thing.  I don't have any specific dates to back up this claim, but I've always felt like STP's lead singles were never released far enough in advance on past albums.  The only exception I guess would be Purple.  Big Empty dominated radio for a while before the album dropped because of The Crow soundtrack.  By the time Vasoline hit, everyone knew it was going to be an amazing album before it came out.  I think they could create a similar effect for the new album if they utilize this long period of pre-release exposure, and release the 2nd single right with the album drops in May. Just my 2 cents.
Sin make me strong.

RCLAR

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2010, 02:41:12 PM »
Quote from: "Suffer_Long"

I don't know, I think this early exposure is a good thing.  I don't have any specific dates to back up this claim, but I've always felt like STP's lead singles were never released far enough in advance on past albums.  The only exception I guess would be Purple.  Big Empty dominated radio for a while before the album dropped because of The Crow soundtrack.  By the time Vasoline hit, everyone knew it was going to be an amazing album before it came out.  I think they could create a similar effect for the new album if they utilize this long period of pre-release exposure, and release the 2nd single right with the album drops in May. Just my 2 cents.

Oh I'm sure the album will do great no matter what. But right now there is a momentum building up and I hope they can sustain it until the album is released, that's all. Also, wanting the album to be released sooner probably has more to do with my own selfish agenda than anything else, hehe.
Karma schmarma.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2010, 03:07:29 PM »
Oh I'm sure the album will do great no matter what. But right now there is a momentum building up and I hope they can sustain it until the album is released, that's all. Also, wanting the album to be released sooner probably has more to do with my own selfish agenda than anything else, hehe.

I can't blame you on that count  ;) .  Along with the late night TV appearances in May, I think as long as Atlantic makes a good pick for a 2nd single and releases it right when the album comes out, then they can keep the momentum.
Sin make me strong.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2010, 07:09:37 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Eat shit Sorum, the world was waiting for new STP!

Bwa haha! I've been waiting for that statement to come back and bite him in his arrogant ass, it was a stupid thing to say, especially considering Libertad sank like a stone.

I should think this album is going to out sell Libertad by some distance.

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2010, 06:20:21 PM »
I love BTL and think the cover displayed on Amazon.com for the single's AWESOME!!!

The ripple-y effect on it with the same palette as the album :D

http://www.amazon.com/Between-The-Lines ... 62&sr=1-93

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2010, 08:56:40 PM »
A little update:

According to Wikipedia, BTL is #3 on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart.  So again:

Between The Lines

Rock Songs: #1 (+1)
Alternative Songs: #3 (+6)
Mainstream Rock: #3 (+4)

MAZZA26

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2010, 09:21:49 PM »
Quote from: "disasterami"
I love BTL and think the cover displayed on Amazon.com for the single's AWESOME!!!

The ripple-y effect on it with the same palette as the album :D

http://www.amazon.com/Between-The-Lines ... 62&sr=1-93

I like it, but it kind of reminds me of Faith No More's "Ashes to Ashes single" (well one of the two formats.)

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2010, 11:34:02 PM »
If you click on t elink dont be scared by Robin WIlliams

http://http://www.billboard.com/column/chartbeat/chart-beat-thursday-robin-williams-bnl-maxwell-1004081675.story?tag=hpfeed#/column/chartbeat/chart-beat-thursday-robin-williams-bnl-maxwell-1004081675.story?tag=hpfeed

SUCCESSFUL FLIGHT: Like Barenaked Ladies, another rock group known for its success in the '90s and 2000s occupies the top spot on a Billboard chart for the first time in close to a decade.

Stone Temple Pilots complete a 40-2-1 three-week vault to the top of Rock Songs with "Between the Lines." The group had last led a Billboard list when "Days of the Week" peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100's Bubbling Under chart dated June 30, 2001.

"Between the Lines" continues its assault on multiple rock formats. On Mainstream Rock, a 7-3 advance for the song grants the group its highest rank since "Lady Picture Show" became the band's sixth and most recent No. 1 on the chart in January 1997.

The first single from the band's May 25 self-titled reunion album also blasts 9-3 on Alternative Songs with Greatest Gainer honors.