September 30, 2024, 01:25:23 AM

Author Topic: Billboard.com Chart Position  (Read 64021 times)

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Billboard.com Chart Position
« Reply #210 on: June 15, 2010, 11:29:23 PM »
I know selling cd's is pretty much dead. But damn they have to be dissapointed with these numbers. Unless they have a HUGE single I don't see how the cd could get past 200k.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2010, 06:46:29 AM »
I know selling cd's is pretty much dead. But damn they have to be dissapointed with these numbers. Unless they have a HUGE single I don't see how the cd could get past 200k.

Yep.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2010, 08:25:05 AM »
I would like to say that the album sales is not really that discouraging for me, but it really is.  I expected a lot more sales for a band that I think stands up there with the greats (Beatles, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd). 
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 16, 2010, 11:53:31 AM »
I would like to say that the album sales is not really that discouraging for me, but it really is.  I expected a lot more sales for a band that I think stands up there with the greats (Beatles, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd). 

well there's your problem duuuude, you're comparing stp to the 3 greatest bands of all time. Don't get me wrong, stp's my favorite band also but they're not on that level and probably never will be...just take them for what they are and enjoy their music while they're still making it
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Unglued

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 16, 2010, 03:07:12 PM »
Wow Glee has 5 albums in the top 50 and they all sold better than STP except one by a couple of hundred.  Geeezus what has this world come to?
Good for them but holy smokes....

joelrojas84

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2010, 03:47:26 PM »

well there's your problem duuuude, you're comparing stp to the 3 greatest bands of all time. Don't get me wrong, stp's my favorite band also but they're not on that level and probably never will be...just take them for what they are and enjoy their music while they're still making it

my big four top is pink floyd, The doors, Stone Temple pilots, pearl jam... alltime favorites bands

AFH

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stonedatpompeii/
« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »
Being on charts these days is not about how good is your album, you have to have a strong financial support from your record company, songs on the radio, videos on TV and lots of publicity, at the end of the day is all about money.
I really don't care about charts, in MY OWN chart STP still are nº1!

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2010, 08:01:46 PM »

That's why they are my favorite band.  As crazy as it may sound I believe they have more diversity than Pink Floyd, more great songs than Led Zeppelin, and just as intricate as the Beatles.  What surprises me is that they don't get the credit they deserve because people tend to make up their mind that Scott is a washed-up druggy that brings down a talented band.

P.S.  Not dissing on Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, or the Beatles-they are all in my top 10 favorite band list.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

joelrojas84

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2010, 08:09:01 PM »
Being on charts these days is not about how good is your album, you have to have a strong financial support from your record company, songs on the radio, videos on TV and lots of publicity, at the end of the day is all about money.
I really don't care about charts, in MY OWN chart STP still are nº1!
you're right!!!

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2010, 08:19:02 PM »
That's why they are my favorite band.  As crazy as it may sound I believe they have more diversity than Pink Floyd, more great songs than Led Zeppelin, and just as intricate as the Beatles.  What surprises me is that they don't get the credit they deserve because people tend to make up their mind that Scott is a washed-up druggy that brings down a talented band.

I definitely feel that critcs are biased toward STP for that very reason. Scott and his drug issues. It seems like they are licking their chops at his next slurred interview or concert decable instead of giving credit for their musical contribution. I respect your views on the Beatles, Zep, and Floyd. However, you also have to remember, those three bands paved the way and created blue prints for song writing (Beatles) hard rock (Zep) and progressive rock (Floyd) which other artists pattern and borrow to this day. Not sure if STP has created a blueprint for other bands to follow other then writing great music.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

timryanokane

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 17, 2010, 02:20:46 AM »
It seems like noone really sells albums anymore unless you are a hip hop artist or a teenie bopper.  Hopefully they make enough money on tour to justify more records.

Take a Load Off as a single could help spur sales, but frankly I think they could have made a better choice for a commercial single.

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 17, 2010, 02:34:21 AM »

I definitely feel that critcs are biased toward STP for that very reason. Scott and his drug issues. It seems like they are licking their chops at his next slurred interview or concert decable instead of giving credit for their musical contribution. I respect your views on the Beatles, Zep, and Floyd. However, you also have to remember, those three bands paved the way and created blue prints for song writing (Beatles) hard rock (Zep) and progressive rock (Floyd) which other artists pattern and borrow to this day. Not sure if STP has created a blueprint for other bands to follow other then writing great music.

I'm not sure that STP has created a blueprint similar to the "Rock Gods".  However, they have done something that few bands that I know of have done, and that is change their sound on every album. 

Just as much as Weiland changes his look, the albums take a different path too.  And while changing their sound, the band never ceases to impress me.  A downside is that as they ventured further and further from Core, so did the fans.  (Although it is my favorite album it did the least compared to the other albums in showing STP's talent) 

The point is, as arguably one of the best bands to come out of the 90's i expected more sales.  Maybe if they created a Core-like single for this album, more people would of bought it.  Whether people say it or not, Weiland still has the pipes to sing close to how he did in the early '90s.  Heck he sings 5 songs off the album every night. In a studio he would be able to pull it off.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 04:13:55 AM by DeadAndNotForSale »

Junior

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 17, 2010, 03:56:06 AM »
we got 2 years of touring and 3 more singles i hope all hits.dont worry.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #223 on: June 17, 2010, 04:31:01 PM »
The point is, as arguably one of the best bands to come out of the 90's i expected more sales.  Maybe if they created a Core-like single for this album, more people would of bought it. 

That's why I think Down worked so well. It was a bad ass rocker that rivaled the hard rockers from the Core album, and it was a song that made all the newer, modern bands take notice letting them know that STP is back and can rock harder then ever.

I like Between the Lines. It's grown on me ALOT since I first heard it, but I don't think it was a single that would make me run to go buy the new album the way Down did for No. 4 IMO.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 17, 2010, 06:37:43 PM »
Chart update for week of June 26, 2010:

Stone Temple Pilots

Billboard 200: #45 (-29), peak #2
Rock Albums: #13 (-9), peak #1
Alternative Albums: #9 (-5), peak #1
Hard Rock Albums: #6 (-4), peak #1

Between The Lines

Rock Songs: #4 (-1), peak #1
Alternative Songs: #13 (-1), peak #1
Canadian Hot 100: #61 (-2), peak #50                       
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!