September 19, 2024, 07:33:07 PM

Author Topic: Anyone else wish STP played a longer show?  (Read 18789 times)

therealcaptain40

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Anyone else wish STP played a longer show?
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:52:42 AM »
I've seen them 3 times and each time they played only 12 or 13 songs.  The last few times they played Vegas they charged $70, and to me, 13-17 songs doesn't cut it at all for that ticket price. They should play at least 25-30 songs.  Also, the lack of diversity and redundancy in their set list is something that's bothered me for quite some time. It's always the 'Greatest Hits' routine sprinkled with a few album cuts. How about catering to their hard core fans? 'Unglued', Army Ants, Still Remains, Art School Girl, Tumble in the Rough, Seven Cage Tigers,  Lady Picture Show, Sex and Violence, Glide, Days of the Week, Coma, and Too Cool Queenie need more play.

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else wish STP played a longer show?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:03:02 AM »
Unglued, Army Ants, Seven Cage Tigers, Lady Picture Show, Coma, Too Cool Queenie.
They played those a lot since the reunion.
Still Remains
This song was played once.
Sex and Violence, Glide
That would be great.
Art School Girl
God NO  :-X
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

stpmatt

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:34:14 AM »
I've seen them 11 times and have never seen them do 30 songs.  your crazy

therealcaptain40

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:56:01 AM »
25-30 songs per show is not unresonable. The average STP song is perhaps 3 1/2 minutes long. So, 25 songs at 3 1/2 minutes each would be around 90 minutes of actual music.  Plus, you have in between song talking and audience interaction. We're looking at about 1Hr 45Minutes-2Hours per show. That's what I expect for $70+ for a ticket with an unknown band as the opening act. Just my opinion. STP rock!!!

stpmatt

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 10:00:04 AM »
I wish STP will play the House of Blues-Anaheim with no opening act. Perhaps they could play for two hours, would love to see 25 songs by my favorite band.  keeping fingers crossed...

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
NO!  I just want to hear Plush, 2 hour version.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

ArnoldLayne

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:29:05 AM »
But Deleons are big fans of Zeppelin so in few years I can see them playing 3 hour shows  ;D
BTW I guess some 20 songs might be good. I don't think too long show is good either. I saw them in 2001, got 18 songs, acoustic set in the middle and was happy!!
Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
Fugazi - 2000-10-10
Stone Temple Pilots - 2001-08-21
The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24

artschoolstp

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 04:45:38 PM »
I would have to agree that a longer show would be nice. The first time I saw them, and my first concert ever, was this one

http://www.belowempty.com/concerts.php?s=date&id=464

How about that for a set list?? And if my memory serves they had Local H as an opening act.

Since STP doesn't really expand on their songs in the live environment, they can easily tack on a few deep cuts and keep the show under 2 hours.

Sweilandlvsu

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 04:56:21 PM »
They should play anywhere from a 105 to 125 minute show, especially with their catalog of good songs that everyone recognizes regardless of whether their fans or not.  Atleast 105 mins.

HeavenandHotrods87

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 07:18:39 PM »
Personally I think 25 songs would cut it. I know this would never happen but STP should organize a show for HARDCORE fans only..that way we hear the songs that they never play live instead of the usual hits. They should definetly play Heaven and Hotrods ;)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 02:07:15 AM »
Quote from: "ArnoldLayne"
But Deleons are big fans of Zeppelin so in few years I can see them playing 3 hour shows  ;D
BTW I guess some 20 songs might be good. I don't think too long show is good either. I saw them in 2001, got 18 songs, acoustic set in the middle and was happy!!

Back in the day when I'd see them in the 90's and early 2000's they'd break out an acoustic set and it was amazing.  Just the diversity of their shows made their concerts legendary.  Hopefully they bring back these acoustic sets SOON!
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Piece_of_Pie

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 02:39:17 AM »
I think 20 songs is the upper-limit for the average STP show. It takes a lot of energy and focus to deliver the kind of concert STP does. For them to do a 30 song show every night would completely burn them out, especially Scott. I'd rather see a band on top of their game play 16-18 songs, than a burned out band go through the motions during a 30 song set. Of course, every once in awhile an extended set could be feasible (and great).

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 08:45:50 AM »
Quality vs quantity...  BUT!  I miss the days when bands would be unpredictable.  I don't want to be able to look at the set list from the night before and know what to expect.  

So thinking about it... I'd rather have 15-20 random songs... maybe some covers and acoustic sets/versions of songs, opposed to a longer "cookie cutter" set list for every show.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

bfoley4685

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 09:43:06 PM »
i know they must get sick of playing the hits but i believe certain songs need to be played live. for example on this tour they dont play big bang baby,down or unglued. all three of those songs are jams that make heads nod and people bounce around having fun especially down and unglued. really disappointed their not playing those this time around

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 12:48:23 AM »
The band has addressed this issue before.   They said something along the lines of it would be boring to some of the audience if they were out there for 2.5 hours.  The way they do it right now is to go out there and play their best songs and keep the momentum going.   I like their "less is more" approach, and it makes you enjoy every second.