September 29, 2024, 01:15:37 AM

Author Topic: Anyone else wish STP played a longer show?  (Read 18994 times)

live2cd

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Facebook.
Re: How does STP justify such short concerts?
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2010, 07:11:28 PM »
Didnt Eric or someone say they are working on doing "Core" front to back in 2012 on tour? Im almost positive I read that somewhere...

Anyway, maybe its me - but their past US headlining shows seem to be getting shorter, and shorter. May and June of 2008 were 110 min shows and the shows this past March were around 85 minutes. Its really upsetting.
-Dewey

BrandoKommando

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2010, 04:19:40 PM »
Where did you read that?  The concept sounds great.  I'm curious how "Wet My Bed" would sound live.  HAHA!

-Brandon
"I was a SUPERMAN, but looks are deceiving."  - Scott Weiland

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2010, 06:03:13 PM »
I Have been wanting to see Wet My Bed live!  I think it would be so cool!   Maybe she maybe she maybe she may maybe she swam away
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2010, 05:21:20 AM »
There's some recording of wet my bed live, and I love it ;D.
The idea of Core was that, just an idea. I don't remember Eric saying they're working on it but that it'd be cool. Guess it came up from a question of the interviewer.
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

SonofOdin

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2010, 09:16:26 AM »
they can't expect the hardcore fans to dish out for the high ticket prices for the same old stale stuff every show. people do realize that probably 70 percent of the audience aren't newbies...they are us. they want to hear a few new wrinkles here and there. metallica, pj, pantera back in the day, alice in chains, bon jovi, aerosmith and many more play for at least 2 hours. metallica's songs are twice as long as stp's they still play about 20 of them. it seems to me watching them live the last few years that they just are going through the motions...not trying hard. i remember the purple and tiny music tours...those were epic shows. now...they play like they have the catalog of shinedown when their catalog is massive. i'm going to see them in august in st. paul and if they are playing the same lame setlist they played for these festivals, i won't pay to see them again live.

stp080808

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
Like others, I am just happy to see the show, whether its 30 minutes or 90 minutes or 120 minutes.  I definitely prefer shorter, tighter shows to long drawn out epic nonsense, that makes you glad some venues have curfews!

My guess is with this month off that they have, the setlist is being revamped.  Remember the leg of the tour that was just finished in Europe was initiated before the new album came out.  Now they can add in the potential singles and other songs that have generated buzz.  While I don't think the setlist will be brand new, I wouldn't be surprised if there were significant changes.

As for ticket prices, I was genuinely surprised at how low the prices were for two of the three shows I am going to.  I think for a band with their caliber of hits $75 for general admission at the Borgata and $55 for the good seats at Mohegan Sun is more than reasonable.    The PNC tics were a priced a bit high for an amphitheater, so since it will be my third show I opted for the 400 section.  Overall, $180 for three shows is practically unheard of for 80% of the bands touring this summer.
08-03-00 Spectrum
05-31-08 PNC  08-08-08 Musikfest
8-31-10  Mohegan Sun 09-03-10  The Borgata 09-05-10  PNC
08-14-11 Musikfest

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »
To me I think that STP tickets should be around 35-45 dollars.  But then again thats just me.  And I really am hoping that we get more than just the 4 new songs they have been playing.   But since this is only my third time seeing them (and the first time I had to leave the show only about halfway into the set) I wont mind the greatest hits concert too badly
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

stp080808

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2010, 01:10:06 AM »
Saw Green Day this past Saturday.  Definitely not my favorite band, but went for my sister who is seeing STP with me in CT.  They played for 3 solid hours.  While there was a lot of their material that I didn't know which kind of made the show drag, 3 hours was honestly exhausting.  I think STP's set time is perfect.  Really looking forward to the shows!
08-03-00 Spectrum
08-14-11 Musikfest

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2010, 01:25:24 AM »
Saw Green Day this past Saturday.  Definitely not my favorite band, but went for my sister who is seeing STP with me in CT.  They played for 3 solid hours.  While there was a lot of their material that I didn't know which kind of made the show drag, 3 hours was honestly exhausting.  I think STP's set time is perfect.  Really looking forward to the shows!

Well, a 3 hours show for a hardcore STP fan would be the ultimate glory.... i think it works in the same way for the green day hardcore fans!
But, for a "moderate" audience wich includes hardcore fans and not that much fans of stp, the lenght of the actual stp shows is just great!
Seems like you left me when you broke down

stp080808

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2010, 08:58:26 PM »
Honestly I don't think it matters which "category" of fan you are or the crowd in general is...I have been a fan since Core came out, I just prefer a tight show.  The longer the show the less you are going to get out of the band as the end approaches and in STP's case the end of the set requires a lot of energy.  Sex Type Thing, Dead and Bloated and Trippin have the potential to bomb if Scott's voice has had enough. 
08-03-00 Spectrum
08-14-11 Musikfest

hsejackblt

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2010, 10:08:27 PM »
Unfortunately 90 minutes is becoming the norm for other bands too.  I love Alice in Chains and the 2 times I've seen them on their headlining tour for their new album were around 90 minutes each.  Other people brought up good points (endurance and how long they'll be on the road, whether they're headlining or appearing at a festival), but I guess with 90 minutes, it's more of a case of "leave them wanting more."  Being the greedy bastard that I am, I'd rather have too much than too little.

bigemptycreep

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2010, 04:39:16 AM »
I think 2 hours would be great. I think I'm appeased with a hour and a half set, but I left feeling like I missed out on some songs I wanted to hear. I don't mean I want to hear every b-side and unrecorded stuff, but songs like Lady Picture Show should be in the mix somewhere(I know they opened a lot of the first reunion tour with it)

When I saw Metallica what I really thought was cool was the extra talking to the crowd that James does. Maybe he cares, maybe he doesn't, but it was nice to at least believe that he cares a little bit more about the thousands of people in the crowd. There is a different energy level of course between those two bands and for sure different front men do their thing different. A lot of the time, especially the second time I saw them last year Scott didn't say much more than the names of the songs. I wound't mind some more interaction, but that would only just be an 'icing on the cake thing' 5-6 more songs would be really sweet.

mwat9050

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2010, 05:13:47 AM »
I agree that 2 hours would be excellent. Or just play at least 25 songs. I was the Chicago show the other night and I loved it, but I would have liked to hear songs like piece of pie, lounge fly and meatplow. If the setlists were expanded to 25 songs, then songs I just mentioned would make a more regular spot in the set.

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2010, 06:29:22 AM »
Id rather like much more a longer setlist than the band talking to the audience!
Seems like you left me when you broke down

bluesuedeiztrad

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2010, 02:16:40 AM »
I've seen Pearl Jam many times. Regardless if the songs are rarities or greatest hits, I am all in for a 3 hour show - though most of their shows are not quite that long.

I would gladly take a 2-3 hour show from STP, if only to hear more tracks from Purple and Tiny Music. If anything, I wish they would mix up their set list up some from show to show.