September 19, 2024, 07:41:04 PM

Author Topic: Anyone else wish STP played a longer show?  (Read 18790 times)

luvmesomestp

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else wish STP played a longer show?
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2010, 01:41:27 PM »
YES!!! but that's because i'm a greedy SOB and STP sounds f'ing amazing!!

i heard STP for the first time last week in SD and then LA.  jesus christ, i can't get the band's sounds from the concert out of my head and i'm loving it!  the band really knows how to put on a show and they sound excellent.  i mean that in the truest sense, they sounded AS GOOD as when i hear them off an mp3.  they are all excellent showmen who are incredibly talented and i'm already beating myself up that i did not go to f'ing indio to watch them again.

favorite moment is when they first come on the stage and play crackerman!  damn! i always liked that song but what a show starter!  they play the song with such energy that you just snap to and weiland does this cool windmill motion with his arm and the megaphone. throw in some strobe lights and you just get sucked in.  the entire show went by so fast but it was entirely sweet, i hope to god they don't break up again.  what a talented bunch

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2011, 07:54:14 PM »
Yes the last show I went to seemed real short to me.  I like it when they can play more of their songs live.

In a perfect world STP would play a twenty some song set, change it up each show, and throw in an acoustic set...

Don't count on that world coming anytime soon.

Yeah that would be real cool.

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »
I've seen them 3 times and each time they played only 12 or 13 songs.  The last few times they played Vegas they charged $70, and to me, 13-17 songs doesn't cut it at all for that ticket price. They should play at least 25-30 songs.  Also, the lack of diversity and redundancy in their set list is something that's bothered me for quite some time. It's always the 'Greatest Hits' routine sprinkled with a few album cuts. How about catering to their hard core fans? 'Unglued', Army Ants, Still Remains, Art School Girl, Tumble in the Rough, Seven Cage Tigers,  Lady Picture Show, Sex and Violence, Glide, Days of the Week, Coma, and Too Cool Queenie need more play.

I remember one time I think in 2008 that they had people vote on the set list for the shows.  It was pretty cool because they played stuff they normally did not.  I believe they just played some of the songs the fans voted for but the rest were the normal ones they always play.  I would vote for Only Dying or In The Suit You Wear.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2011, 07:59:46 PM »
The only thing that really baffles me is that STP has a ton of awesome songs spanning six albums wide, but they don't use what they've got. I don't care that they always play "Plush" and "Interstate Love Song", but it would just be sick if they added songs like "Kitchenware & Candybars", "No Way Out", "Pop's Love Suicide", "Peacoat", "Wonderful", etc. They could make a pretty sweet setlist with all the songs they have.

loungefly82

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2011, 08:41:55 PM »
Im hoping they take a long break after these final tour dates. When I say long, I mean until next spring/summer. Then maybe when they come back to tour, they will be rested and be able to play a couple more songs. Ive seen them 18 times. Kinda sick of going to see them twice in 11 months at the same venue and having the set be the exact same just three songs less the second time around. They charge way too much for show they put on. The shows are festival length with fifteen minutes of the same jams between songs and a minute of silence in between songs. Even if its the same usual set, they should really add a couple more songs. Ive gone to see old guys in classic rock bands that play twice as many songs as stp. Not like Weiland is running around like he used to. They can suck it up and put on a better show.

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2011, 08:47:59 PM »
The only thing that really baffles me is that STP has a ton of awesome songs spanning six albums wide, but they don't use what they've got. I don't care that they always play "Plush" and "Interstate Love Song", but it would just be sick if they added songs like "Kitchenware & Candybars", "No Way Out", "Pop's Love Suicide", "Peacoat", "Wonderful", etc. They could make a pretty sweet setlist with all the songs they have.

Yeah I agree it would be cool to hear other songs too.  After going to tons of STP shows I agree it is kinda boring if the sets are almost always the same.  I still enjoy the shows but would rather have more change in the setlist.  I love Interstate, Big Empty, Crackerman, Sex Type Thing, Wicked Garden, and Vasoline so I will not complain about those.   I would love to hear more songs from core and purple and tiny music also.   I would like to hear SIN, Piece of Pie, Wet My Bed / Naked Sunday among others. 

I wish they would do less jams and more songs.  If they need to they should just take a break and come back and do a second set then do the encore.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:50:16 PM by rocker rockstar »

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2011, 09:09:16 PM »
I just saw Paul McCartney a few weeks back. He played 36 songs and the show was 3 hours long.
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »
how much were those tix??
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2011, 09:47:08 PM »
$35 face value. I ended up paying $60. It was an AMAZING concert. I have been to hundreds of shows. That show was THE best i have ever been to. I took my 15 year old son. He was on cloud 9!
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

zjt228

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »
I saw Paul too in Detroit last month. 2 hours and 45 minutes of amazement on my end and for $20. The man still had all the charisma and showmanship that made the Beatles fun back in the day. I consider myself lucky, that's for sure.
6/4/08 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore (Red Wings win the Cup); 7/7/09 - Lansing, MI - Common Ground Festival; 8/19/10 - Grand Rapids, MI - Deltaplex; 8/26/10 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre; 4/20/11 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore; 8/18/12 - Pontiac, MI - Silverdome

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2011, 11:34:25 PM »
Some of the best shows I have been to have been cheap.   Like when I got to see the Toadies or Monster Magnet. 

I have no problem paying more cash to see STP but I just hope they start playing more songs to make it worth while. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:39:02 PM by rocker rockstar »