September 19, 2024, 11:55:58 PM

Author Topic: Anyone else wish STP played a longer show?  (Read 18791 times)

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: How does STP justify such short concerts?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 02:04:35 AM »
Three minutes, three hours... I'm there either way. 
Hell yeah!!  i was thinking the same thing!!  any chance to see them live is worth it!
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Adhesive Love

• W. Axl Rose
  • Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ilovethepunkrock
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 02:16:24 AM »
I think there is already a thread on this. 

Yeah, and it said it was more than 60 days old when I went to respond. There are probably multiple threads on here of everything short of "Does Weiland shave his body hair?"
CHINESE DEMOCRACY STARTS NOW.

crackerman33

• Flight Attendant
  • "This is the song with no words"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 09:29:31 PM »
I agree that most people showing up at their shows are hardcore fans and they are only fooling themselves if they think they need
to cater to new fans.  As an older fan, I find that kind of offensive.  They are established musicians more than talented enough to
experiment with the set list. I have long respected PJ for their diversity and keeping their shows spontaneous. Im sure they do that just
as much for them as they do the fans.  I want to hear Church on Tuesday, meat plow, ride the cliche and there is no reason why they
cant play those songs or any other for that matter. And what really bothers me is the songs they do have studio tricks for (ie Lounge Fy
& Coma) they have played consistently.

Just saying, show yer nutz guys and leave the singles for the radio.

robschmidt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 10:07:44 PM »
I think a two hour set would be perfect. There are a few hits that are currently not being played/ cut-out that should be standard (i.e. LPS and Down). It would be nice to throw in two or three cuts (Unglued/Still Remains, Seven Caged/Hollywood Bitch, No Way Out/Coma). That would easily taken them two hours and I would still complain about them adding deeper cuts! But the set I just mentioned should be standard IMO. They have the catalog for it without a doubt. The stagnant set drives me a little crazy sometimes too.

I'm happy they're back together and would still drive hours to see them even if they only played three songs.
--Rob--

SourBeagle

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2010, 11:46:30 PM »
The length of an STP show may seem really short to huge fans, but to those just going for the hits, they may grow bored through a 3 hour set, how many beers can you leave to get during the songs you don't know :P
I agree, longer shows, just a little longer, would be good.  I think it mainly has to do with the bands' mind-sets.  STP think they're doing what's best for the fans with their length, PJ think a 3 hour marathon of rarities is where it's at for fans.  I've seen PJ a lot, and it really depends on the set for me.  If it's all the rare ones I love, that 3 hours goes by real quick.  If they drag out songs I am unfamilair with (and I'm a huge fan) one after the other, 3 hours can seem long, and I notice my legs/back start to hurt (and I'm in good shape).
“The news reports said I’d torched $10,000 worth of Scott’s clothes, which was wrong by a factor of eight. He was somewhat insulted at their estimate: ‘Eighty thousand dollars, Mary,’ he said later.”

bigkurm

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 02:33:30 AM »
I don't think STP needs to play too many more songs.  What I think they need to do is jam a little more.  I would love to hear Dean, Robert, and Eric improv more and extend songs.  They need to play looser and strut their stuff instead of playing the songs close to how they were originally recorded (especially on songs they have been playing for a long time like from purple and core).  Sometimes STP is TOO TIGHT.  STP is missing one ultimate song they jam out or make legendary in concert.  It would be very cool to hear to hear Vasoline, Big Empty, Trippin, Huckleberry, Hickory, Sex Type Thing, and Creep with additional solos, breakdowns, etc. 

I loved the added solo at the end of Sour Girl last summer and how they kind of were off cue on the beginning of Huckleberry a couple of weeks ago.  Makes each show more exciting and unpredictable. 

thomasbirch

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2010, 12:08:16 PM »
More isn't necessarily better. Personally, I'd far rather see a high energy hour-and-a-half set than a dragging three hour set. Look at Led Zeppelin (STP certainly do!) - their shows from about 1971 ran about 90 minutes and were fantastically powerful, but their 1977 shows ran upwards of 3 hours and frankly strained the interest. You're also asking a lot from your audience getting them to stand for 3 hours. Pearl Jam do indeed play wonderful, long sets - but I think that the whole comparing STP to Pearl Jam thing's a bit old now, don't you?

Eijoo

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2010, 01:41:47 PM »
i remember scott once said that a 90 minute set would justify their fans. think thats reasonable enough for a duration...just an opinion though(=^;^=)
Songs are emotions in sonic form and I had a lot of emotions at the time. And each of those emotions inspires its own sound."- Scott Weiland on recording "12 Bar Blues" album

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2010, 01:44:04 PM »
STP have a ton of hits, and their songs are really short sometimes. I think they could easily add at least 3 or 4 more. We now know that the majority of ppl at shows rather hear hits, I'm fine with anything they play but I would also love to hear deep cuts. Did they remove Hollywood Bitch? I think they did and I don't get why since Scott can still manage to sing it.  They also got a huge crowd reaction when they played meatplow. STP has a new single out and that's what they should be opening with. I understand Take A Load Off is a overproduced track, but they need to find a way to play it live. How are you going to have a single out on the radio and not play it at all? I'm kinda fine with the set but they REALLY need to play that. It could also be s great opener. I haven't been keeping up with things for a few weeks and if they played it already then good lol
If you only knew..

bigkurm

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 02:58:55 AM »
RHCP always find a way to make an over-produced studio song sound great live!!!  Frunciante always adds extra guitar solos and riff-age.  STP can easily just jam it out a little more without making the show boring or TOO Extended.  With improv, comes excitement and different shows.  That is the formula for having a following from show to show.

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2010, 05:25:41 AM »
I think there is already a thread on this. 

Yeah, and it said it was more than 60 days old when I went to respond. There are probably multiple threads on here of everything short of "Does Weiland shave his body hair?"
WAIT! How is it that we don't have a thread about this?
relaaaaaax wasn't a big deal ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 05:27:19 AM by Shangri »
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Knuckles

• Soaked at Donington
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 02:00:30 PM »
Scott said they plan to tour for a long time, so could they be pacing themselves? I'd rather they play shorter shows, and that means they can play MORE shows :p
I used to love you now I don't care

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2010, 07:04:33 PM »
In a perfect world STP would play a twenty some song set, change it up each show, and throw in an acoustic set...

Don't count on that world coming anytime soon.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Exactly.
Eggs. Ack. Ta-Lee.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

Autopilot

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2010, 01:10:51 AM »
I'm a big fan and a 2 hour show sounds a bit better to me, I mean 25 songs is better then 19. course lots of bands play short shows, but 90 mins just seems a bit too short to me. I'm glad i saw them but they gotta work on that setlist a bit.
We have Liftoff the pilots are in the air!

therealcaptain40

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2010, 01:39:57 AM »
They need to play for 105 minutes-2 hours, 20-25 songs, and for God's sake stop catering to the casual viewers. Us hardcore fans are the ones that buy all their albums, buy their merchandise, and encourage radio DJ's to play their songs. I'd rather see them play in a smaller venue with, say, 2,000 people, filled with hardcore fans than to see them play an 8,000 seat arena with a bunch of casual listeners. If it's 95% hardcore fans then they could play album cuts.