September 20, 2024, 02:35:27 AM

Author Topic: New Album Now up for Presale at Amazon.com!  (Read 99376 times)

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon.com - Album Stream
« Reply #630 on: May 12, 2010, 03:37:45 AM »
Quote from: "RangerJim"
By the way does anyone else notice how low Rob's bass has been recorded so far?  Compared to Brendan O & Nick Didia's mxing, Chris Lord-Alge hasn't done very well.  

Remember you're listening to a steam or a stream sourced to mp3.  Dont expect all the tones and sounds to be in harmony like they *should be* on the album.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 12, 2010, 03:41:12 AM »
Quote from: "JugeSTP"
Quote from: "Aaron"
Can't wait til tomorrow to figure out this one on the guitar.  :)

Good song.  I agree with Velvet LoungeFly though, its definitely heavily produced, probably too much so.  

Still, I dig it.

-A

Overproduced from a vocal perspective, or musically? I kind of feel like every song has been too produced so far. Vocally and musically. Still love the songs, and I'm digging it, but they are missing a little bit of rawness to them. Thoughts?

Both.  I agree with you 110%.  Scott especially is so produced and overdubbed at times it doesnt even sound human.  

Still digging the songs, I'll still enjoy the album.

Neekoh.

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 12, 2010, 04:32:06 AM »
This is shaping up to be the most diverse album. And I thought Tiny Music pushed boundaries.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 12, 2010, 04:36:36 AM »
Bagman has REALLY grown on me after listening to it all week on my Ipod, I think it's a really catchy rock n' roll tune with a great hook and the bridge and solo are awesome, I love the way Dean solo's all over the chorus at the end, it gets stuck in my head after i've listened to it! I think Huckleberry rocks but i'd actually put it below BTL and Bagman, I love the chorus and solo on Hickory but I just can't get to grips with Scott's vocals on the verses  :-  so for me, so far it looks like this:

1. Between The Lines
2. Bagman
3. Huckleberry
4. Hickory

As someone else mentioned it I am also wondering if there will be any songs with a similar (Dark/Grungey) sound to Down/All In The Suits on the new album or if it will all be very 60's/70's sounding right the way through? I can't wait to hear the rest of the album, I have a feeling we have yet to hear the best songs from it.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 12, 2010, 04:39:34 AM »
Doug told me once on MySpace that he hated when Scott did lots and lots of overdubs.  He said Scott thought it sounded full, but that Doug thought it was lazy.  This was before Libertad came out.  He said that with Libertad, Scott had gotten back to doing 1 really good main vocal take, then sprinkling the rest.  He said, and I would imagine, that 1 really good take is much harder work.  

So, the more overdubs you hear on a main vocal, the lazier Scott probably was in trying to do 1 really good take.

Though, you can REALLY hear on BTL that Scott pretty much chopped up the song and did almost each line separately.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 12, 2010, 04:41:54 AM »
Quote from: "lovemachine97"
Though, you can REALLY hear on BTL that Scott pretty much chopped up the song and did almost each line separately.
Yeah I've always noticed that too. Oh well, the song rocks!
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 12, 2010, 03:21:27 PM »
Listening to the 4 songs loud, with Dean's Epic guitaring, Punchy Bass, Crash-full heavy drums and Melody, lyric crazy Weiland just made me go Wuh-OW. All out songs these 4 are and just go to show STP's back with a Statement!!! The 12 track run should prove to be EPIC!!! :D Just loving wat ive heard of this album till now n no complaints :)

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 12, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »
Quote from: "oldleadbelly"
Quote from: "Vanilla Shake"
Quote from: "Bipolarbear126"
I think he might be singing:

lesson conversation
moral obligation

It makes more sense.

second verse:

oh top titles
the house ran a cousin
the sleazy like a picture ain't right
(right)
motor city's moving
his pancreas is groovin
he's a never wopping senate's tonight
(right on, right on, right on, right on)

I tried...
Nah, I can tell it's "Less", because you can't hear him say "on" after it. And I think it's "He's another [insert lyric here] [insert lyric here] tonight." Probably something to do with his grooving pancreas.

He's another 1 percent-er tonight (I'm 99% sure on that, heh)

"He's a number 1 percent-er tonight" it seemed to me and "hustle and a cousin" and "old top titles" though i first thought it was "oh top titles" too :D and "sleazy like a [insert word] ride"

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #638 on: May 12, 2010, 04:33:42 PM »
Quote from: "Art School Boy"
im slow and cant figure out the quote thing, but yes i return!! couldnt figure out my password forever and found a paper with it written down recently!!

Hey, welcome back! Havn't heard from you in a long time. You just came back at the right time :)

Huckleberry Crumble - definite Aerosmith vibe. Very cool track.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

cagedtiger1640

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 12, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »

Good song.  I agree with Velvet LoungeFly though, its definitely heavily produced, probably too much so.  

Still, I dig it.

-A

Overproduced from a vocal perspective, or musically? I kind of feel like every song has been too produced so far. Vocally and musically. Still love the songs, and I'm digging it, but they are missing a little bit of rawness to them. Thoughts?

Both.  I agree with you 110%.  Scott especially is so produced and overdubbed at times it doesnt even sound human.  

I agree I think the songs are very overproduced.  They sound really slick, no rawness left in them and I feel like that kills the rockinroll Vibe.  Scott especially his voice sounds so processed.  I also agree with cagedtigers comment that I just can't get over how much I hate scotts vocals during the verses of Hickory it sound so cheesey like it should be a B-52's song or something

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #640 on: May 12, 2010, 04:51:50 PM »
Overall, the album sounds less produced than Shangri-LA DEE DA. I still hear "pro-tools'' written all over songs like Hollywood Bitch and Wonderful, and I don't have that feeling with any of the new ones. I also feel like more of these songs will be playable in concert. The vocal effects and overdubs do not bother me. That's just how Scott is and has been for years now.

Unglued

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 12, 2010, 05:07:11 PM »
Quote from: "cagedtiger1640"

Still, I dig it.

-A

I agree I think the songs are very overproduced.  They sound really slick, no rawness left in them and I feel like that kills the rockinroll Vibe.  Scott especially his voice sounds so processed.  I also agree with cagedtigers comment that I just can't get over how much I hate scotts vocals during the verses of Hickory it sound so cheesey like it should be a B-52's song or something

It is weird, I feel completely the opposite.  I cannot get over the way I dislike the verses so much.  I just don't like the tone coming out of Scott on HD and HC verses but love the choruses of HD, HC and BTL.  I still like all four songs but the verses so far are my least favorite part.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 12, 2010, 06:52:43 PM »
Quote from: "Rik"
Overall, the album sounds less produced than Shangri-LA DEE DA. I still hear "pro-tools'' written all over songs like Hollywood Bitch and Wonderful, and I don't have that feeling with any of the new ones. I also feel like more of these songs will be playable in concert. The vocal effects and overdubs do not bother me. That's just how Scott is and has been for years now.

Yeah, there is a lot of editing going on.  It's funny, sometimes I don't hear it, then someone mentions it, it's all you can hear.  There's a Third Eye Blind record like that, especially you can hear the pitch correction all over the place on there.

Here's my question to Doug about layering from May of 2007, and Doug's response:

Me: I have noticed that Scott's main vocals have become increasingly layered, especially in Velvet Revolver, and I wondered if there was any particular reason? He has a very strong voice when he doesn't layer, such as Slither, or early STP.

Doug: You know I was just telling this singer that I'm working with today(I'm in a session right now) that I hate the fact that sw has gotten way into layers and layers of vox tracks. Harmonies and doubles of melodies. We end up with like 20 vox tracks sometimes. He's just gotten into it really in the last 4 or 5 years. I think it's cause he would rather have fun experimenting with BG vocals then do the hard work singing a really brilliant single lead vocal. There is nothing better the one really wel sung lead vocal. But its hard work. Harmonies are easier and funner for him. He also thinks it sounds "bigger" to have that many tracks but its actually the opposite in my opinion.

On this new VR record you will hear a lot less of that vocal layering. For 2 reasons. 1 Brendons back and he's better at telling sw things he's not wanting to hear then I am. And 2) I think he's just getting away from it naturally. He's realizing that more is not really better.

zjt228

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 12, 2010, 07:51:32 PM »
Would someone be kind enough to send me an mp3 of "Huckleberry Crumble"? Thanks.  8)
6/4/08 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore (Red Wings win the Cup); 7/7/09 - Lansing, MI - Common Ground Festival; 8/19/10 - Grand Rapids, MI - Deltaplex; 8/26/10 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre; 4/20/11 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore; 8/18/12 - Pontiac, MI - Silverdome

Garrett

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 12, 2010, 08:06:19 PM »
Quote from: "lovemachine97"
Quote from: "Rik"

Yeah, there is a lot of editing going on.  It's funny, sometimes I don't hear it, then someone mentions it, it's all you can hear.  There's a Third Eye Blind record like that, especially you can hear the pitch correction all over the place on there.

Here's my question to Doug about layering from May of 2007, and Doug's response:

Me: I have noticed that Scott's main vocals have become increasingly layered, especially in Velvet Revolver, and I wondered if there was any particular reason? He has a very strong voice when he doesn't layer, such as Slither, or early STP.

Doug: You know I was just telling this singer that I'm working with today(I'm in a session right now) that I hate the fact that sw has gotten way into layers and layers of vox tracks. Harmonies and doubles of melodies. We end up with like 20 vox tracks sometimes. He's just gotten into it really in the last 4 or 5 years. I think it's cause he would rather have fun experimenting with BG vocals then do the hard work singing a really brilliant single lead vocal. There is nothing better the one really wel sung lead vocal. But its hard work. Harmonies are easier and funner for him. He also thinks it sounds "bigger" to have that many tracks but its actually the opposite in my opinion.

On this new VR record you will hear a lot less of that vocal layering. For 2 reasons. 1 Brendons back and he's better at telling sw things he's not wanting to hear then I am. And 2) I think he's just getting away from it naturally. He's realizing that more is not really better.

Very interesting!  Thanks for passing that on