October 02, 2024, 09:14:48 AM

Author Topic: Scott and his bullhorn  (Read 11480 times)

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scott and his bullhorn
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »
Quote from: "VegasCrackerman"
Here's mine from the Red Rocks '08 gig  -

Hey VC what is with the black tape or rubber wrapped around near the mouth piece ??? Is there somekind of filter where you speak into?  I know alot of the tape and stuff is from cracks in the horn area from him throwing back towards the drum kit etc. but wondering what the black wrap is by the mic part.
  Saweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hawk.

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "so much depends on the weather"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 08:58:15 PM »
Hey Hawk!  The black tape near the mouth piece is to hold down the battery compartment lid.

These things take a beating from SW...
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice
6/8 The Cure
6/25 Public Enemy

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 09:00:02 PM »
I love the early performances of "Dead & Bloated" when he used the bullhorn. Circa 93 in the small clubs.

cubsof89

• Cubsof89
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • check me out on the book of faces
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 03:10:05 AM »
Everytime I've seen Scott in concert (whether STP or VR) a stagehand has always placed the bullhorn on stage before the show begins.  Sitting there staring at it on the blank stage before the show I always get chills looking at it, as if it symbolizes the kick ass time that's about to start.
If you give a man a fire, you keep him warm for a night. But if you SET a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 03:19:25 PM »
I agree !!! It is the definate trademark of STP and or Scott especially.  He really brought it into effect in VR. I remember tuning into the vr webcast from the rock fest in Germany in 07 and I logged in and just check to see what band was on and to make sure it was working.
 I had the timezone completely wrong in my head and when I logged in between bands the crew was setting up the stage and they put the megaphone by the drum kit my eyes popped out of my head. Meanwhile I thought the show was hours from when I was checking it out. Sure enough within 10mins Scott end the boys came out with McBOB and just killed it. Was the coolest afternoon spent on the computer.
 How many other artists used gizmos to enhance their voices that we can bring to note?
 I know that Layne Staley had this little metal boxy thing about the size of the palm of your hand with like a mesh screen on one side that he used very rarely but damn did that thing make his voice sound wicked.   You can see it clearly on the Alice unplugged video "Frogs".
   Hawk.

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 07:47:21 PM »
Yeah I agree with Cubs. That always got me pumped before an STP or VR show when you knew that they were specifically setting up for Scott. As soon as you saw the bullhorn placed on stage you knew it was on like donkey kong! I was also stoked back when VR first started that Scott had brought his own style with the bullhorn to VR. It always made me feel there was a tiny bit of STP on that stage when Scott busted it out. The first song that always comes to mind when I see the bullhorn placed on stage is Dead & Bloated! I don't get the impression that he would be using the bullhorn for the new album but heck, ya never know!  ;D

O0

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »
Quote from: "cubsof89"
Everytime I've seen Scott in concert (whether STP or VR) a stagehand has always placed the bullhorn on stage before the show begins.  Sitting there staring at it on the blank stage before the show I always get chills looking at it, as if it symbolizes the kick ass time that's about to start.

I will never forget the bullhorn on stage before the show begins, NEVER! It felt so well, agree with you, chills all over the body.

And at the end... chills too but different kind

VC, I'm so jealous ;)
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 09:52:37 PM »
Speaking of getting chills, I remember when I listened to the first VR album for the first time and hearing Sucker Train Blues for the first time, I remember hearing the siren from the bullhorn in the beginning of the song and thinking, He's baaaack!! Yeahh! Bringing the STP style to VR!!

O0

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 02:14:31 AM »
Here's Layne's gizmo at 5:30 in the song "FROGS"..........
What is that thing???? Is it called a voice box or ??????? What ever it is sounds fuckin cool.
hawk

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQEUhMT1eRg

bigvin22

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 03:43:02 AM »
I always thought it was bad ass when they would come to Detroit and he would say something along the lines of "Welcome, Detroit Rock City"...then follow it up with we are S-T-Motherfucking P in the bull horn.  Awesome!  Can't wait when they're back in a couple of weeks.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 03:53:50 AM »
Quote from: "hawk900"
What is that thing???? Is it called a voice box or ??????? What ever it is sounds fuckin cool.
hawk

Yeah I watched that video after you mentioned that earlier. It does sound awesome...no idea what it's called though
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 02:59:41 PM »
The singer in my band uses a Tango megaphone to achieve a very similar sound.

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 03:51:25 PM »
!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:53:13 PM by hawk900 »

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 03:52:35 PM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
Quote from: "hawk900"
hawk

Yeah I watched that video after you mentioned that earlier. It does sound awesome...no idea what it's called though
some of those factory direct type stores you can find some cool vocal devices.............
hawk

Sad Daisy Girl

• Danielle
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 05:47:02 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isnixcnrnBc

The last show I went to in Niagra Falls, Scott had a video camera on the bullhorn which projected on the back screen.
Stone Temple Pilots: 5.20.08, 8.22.10, 7.19.11, 8.10.11, 9.7.11