October 03, 2024, 11:56:52 PM

Author Topic: Between the Lines  (Read 126105 times)

robpe36

• Arrival
    • View Profile
Re: Between the Lines
« Reply #780 on: March 24, 2010, 01:16:33 AM »
I feel like if this song was released on Shangri-la or if they had put it out on a hypothetical album a couple years after that, it would have been pretty good.  But for ten years later, and for a comeback song, I think it's pretty weak.

bruno_animallover

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 24, 2010, 01:24:18 AM »
don´t know if anyone has said this, but this song has a very nirvana feel to it on the chorus and on this part:

Leave me all alone before
(get out the way)
Never did what she was told
(get out the way)
Seems to play at time of war
(get out the way)
Less is big and listens more?

see if you can recognize this:

Monkey see, monkey do
(I don't know why).
I'd rather be dead than cool.
(I don't know why).
Every line ends in rhyme
(I don't know why).
Less is more, love is blind
(I don't know why).

i love the song and the way that it's very 90's/ grunge/ rock oriented!
it's gonna be a great album!
 ;D

DeathbedCT

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 24, 2010, 01:35:09 AM »
Quote from: "bruno_animallover"
don´t know if anyone has said this, but this song has a very nirvana feel to it on the chorus and on this part:

Leave me all alone before
(get out the way)
Never did what she was told
(get out the way)
Seems to play at time of war
(get out the way)
Less is big and listens more?

see if you can recognize this:

Monkey see, monkey do
(I don't know why).
I'd rather be dead than cool.
(I don't know why).
Every line ends in rhyme
(I don't know why).
Less is more, love is blind
(I don't know why).

i love the song and the way that it's very 90's/ grunge/ rock oriented!
it's gonna be a great album!
 ;D

lol, that actually makes you think... either way, it's nice to be brought back to the early 90's again...

detomaso

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 24, 2010, 02:36:46 AM »
Quote from: "Casper"
I agree with those who think it won't be a huge hit.
I think it's a good song but misses on being a great song. The musicianship is great, the chorus is very catchy, the ending is dramatic, but Scott's vocals on the verses sounds a little too Bob Dylan-y for me (I hate Dylan's voice). I wonder why he sang it that way?

Here's a thought though -- BTL doesn't need to be a huge hit. It just needs to hang around radio for a few weeks and make people take notice that STP is back. The album will break in 2 months, and the NEXT track will be the key one -- it will make the casual fan decide if they will buy the product or not.

Related to that, BTL was played on alt-rock WBRU in Providence today, and the two young jocks joked that people were like "What!?!? STP is back??!? New song?!?" The female noted how she saw the band perform recently and (paraphrasing) "no one fell down. I guess they're all off drugs...or maybe they're on drugs again because they sound good."  They seemed to have genuine enthusiasm for the single.
Radio stations around me ONLY play Core and Purple tracks. I can't tell you the last time I heard Down on the radio and I never heard Days of the Week. I freaked out when I heard Trippin' the other day.

I think it depends upon where you live. We hear a lot of STP in the MA/CT/RI area. Trippin is a regular play up here, though it's true that Core and Purple tracks dominate. The fairly heavy radio support is probably the chief reason why the band sells out in New England.

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 24, 2010, 03:29:49 AM »
Quote from: "robpe36"
I feel like if this song was released on Shangri-la or if they had put it out on a hypothetical album a couple years after that, it would have been pretty good.  But for ten years later, and for a comeback song, I think it's pretty weak.

Was Down not the best we are fucking back tune or what

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 24, 2010, 03:41:15 AM »
Can someone re-up the wav version to megaupload     please and thanks...
hawk.

robpe36

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 24, 2010, 04:15:09 AM »
Quote from: "Stpilots98"
Quote from: "robpe36"

Was Down not the best we are fucking back tune or what

yes, absolutely.  and that was after only a few years of a hiatus compared to the recent ten year hiatus.  and that kinda makes me realize how all the more disappointing between the lines is.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 24, 2010, 04:42:13 AM »
Quote from: "Silvergun92"
The only thing i really don't like is the thing they start and end with and use as a transition into everything...it just doesn't sound good.

Am I the only one who thinks that part sounds a little bit like the start of 'Goodbye' by Army of Anyone? When it starts i'm kinda expecting Richard Patrick to kick in with 'yeeeeeah i've got that feelin in my veins'!  Either way, I really like the song, it's a catchy rock n' roll tune and it's perfect for the first single, my expectations for the album are very high though and I am expecting much stronger songs to be on the record.
I know the band have pretty much said this is going to be a straight ahead rock n roll record and all but am I the only one who is hoping for songs in the vein of 'Atlanta' and 'Hello it's Late'? You know, Trippy mellow songs with beautiful harmonies from Scott and perhaps even some orchestral arrangments sprinkled in?? The boys have never dissapointed me in the past, every album has been amazing in it's own special way and i'm sure this new one will be no different.

A quick note about the songs length: I really don't have a problem with it being short, as someone else mentioned it was only really 'Core 'that had long songs and those songs, whilst great, re-used bridges/choruses to lengthen them out. I think short catchy rock n' roll tunes are much better for radio play and STP have been doing them on every album since 'Purple': ''Sex & Violence' and 'Hollywood Bitch' are two examples. Like I say, I just have my fingers crossed for some mellow tunes too!
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Silvergun92

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 24, 2010, 04:43:33 AM »
I've only heard it once on Chicago's Q101 and that was today. Maybe I just don't listen to radio enough but it seems like they haven't played it very much at all.

I have heard Vasoline 3 times Interstate Love Song once and Sex Type Thing once during the past two days though.

zjt228

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 24, 2010, 04:44:17 AM »
Quote from: "hawk900"
The wrif in detroit has been blazing it out all day and on Thursday every hour as soon as BTL starts playing be the first caller and win tix for the fillmore,
   hawk gotta run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pray for me. I'm going to try to get tickets for this show.

Regarding the song, I think it's solid for what it is, but from the other tracks we've seen videos of, I think it's the weakest of the four. Not a bad song but certainly not the best thing they've done.
6/4/08 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore (Red Wings win the Cup); 7/7/09 - Lansing, MI - Common Ground Festival; 8/19/10 - Grand Rapids, MI - Deltaplex; 8/26/10 - Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre; 4/20/11 - Detroit, MI - The Fillmore; 8/18/12 - Pontiac, MI - Silverdome

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 24, 2010, 04:45:15 AM »
I know one thing for sure. This song is awesome live from what I've heard on YouTube.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 24, 2010, 05:30:05 AM »
Could someone please PM me about this WAV file or about a converted mp3 from said wav file please...
The radio rips are very low volume  :'(

Slim Jim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 24, 2010, 05:43:03 AM »
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." - George W. Bush

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 24, 2010, 05:55:04 AM »
Quote from: "Slim Jim"
Here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PWGNDP9I

Wow! Thanks. Much louder, now i'm really gonna blast this shit  ;D

LaLaGrunge

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • And So I Know
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 24, 2010, 05:57:28 AM »
It was on 105.5 over here in Jersey. Christina Stoffo said she's "not sold on it" or something like that... Boooooo!

She's not sold because it doesn't sound like anything from Core or Purple. I'm not surprised. These stations have been playing STP's heaviest and defining hits for years and years. It has to fit their hard rock format. "Between the Lines" doesn't sound 90s enough for em. ha.

Like most "rock" radio stations in the NY/NJ/PA area, they love to cater to basically hard rock. If it's soft-sounding, mildly obscure or not "classic" they won't play it. I hear the same AC/DC, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin Guns N Roses, Def Leppard, RHCP, Metallica and Pearl Jam songs all damn day on 94.1 WYSP Philadelphia and other places. However, they also won't play heavy stuff like Pantera or Slayer(now that's just too heavy for them! ::) )

Terri Carr on 105.5 is a cute gal though. She "adores" Weiland which I was not aware of haha...http://http://www.wdhafm.com/TerrieCarr.aspx

92.3 k-rock died last year for the better I believe. They were starting to become boring and dumb.

Do you listen to 101.9 RXP? Matt Pinfield's morning show is pretty cool. I like their format. It's a good mix of Alternative/Indie and Rock. They have played Lady Picture Show, Unglued, Dancing Days, Down, Sour Girl and Days of the Week which I have rarely heard on a lot of "rock" stations.
Alter Bridge: 10/20/07
Live: 3/15/08
STP: 5/18/08, 5/31/08/Scott Weiland: 1/24/09
Metallica: 1/17/09
The Smithereens: 1/14/14/Sugar Ray-Better Than Ezra-Eve 6: 8/21/15