October 04, 2024, 12:04:12 AM

Author Topic: Between the Lines  (Read 126106 times)

Stpilots98

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Between the Lines
« Reply #765 on: March 23, 2010, 04:32:37 PM »
Quote from: "Volant9353"
I'm sorry but your wrong. This song is going to be a hit. I just got a text out of the blue from an X-GF that knows i am an STP nut, said she heard the song on DC101 the DJ's loved and she thought it rocked. She thinks muse and anything that is on the twilight soundtrack is awesome so that fact that it is clicking with her shows this song has mass appeal

I don't see how this song will be a hit.  A decent song but nothing that will get mass appeal.  Days of the week was one of the more radio friendly songs they have put out and that wasn't a hit.

christie1991

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 23, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »
I heard it on XM Alt Nation this morning at work.  I turned up really loud & started yelling LOL!  A couple of the girls in the office said they really liked it.  The WRIF here in Detroit is giving away STP tix every hour on Thursday.  I would assume they're playing it but I haven't really listened to them much lately.

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 23, 2010, 05:50:31 PM »
Quote from: "Stpilots98"
Quote from: "Volant9353"
I'm sorry but your wrong. This song is going to be a hit. I just got a text out of the blue from an X-GF that knows i am an STP nut, said she heard the song on DC101 the DJ's loved and she thought it rocked. She thinks muse and anything that is on the twilight soundtrack is awesome so that fact that it is clicking with her shows this song has mass appeal

I don't see how this song will be a hit.  A decent song but nothing that will get mass appeal.  Days of the week was one of the more radio friendly songs they have put out and that wasn't a hit.

Different time and place. Back then, the teeny bopper music was still being pushed down everyones throats, along with Eminem and the other rap/rock nonsense. The music industry has nothing really going for it right now, so a song like this is quite different from a Jonas Brother song, for example.

Volant9353

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 23, 2010, 06:05:22 PM »
You took the words out of my mouth. The only new songs that got radio play back then was Blink, Limp Bizket, or any other crappy band that was massively popular for one maybe two albums and never heard of again. I think the only new band that made it out of that time period and still has any pull is linken Park
“I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring.” - David Bowie

DeathBedMotorcade

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 23, 2010, 07:33:54 PM »
Yeah this song didn't blow me away either.  It's just missing something.  I really think that "Hickory Dichotomy" sounds like a hit waiting to happen.  The guitar riff is really catchy.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcLFd5AaNG0

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 23, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »
I've been looking around on twitter...seems reaction is mixed.  In my completely unscientific searching, seems as if 5 out of 10 love it, 3 out of 10 hate it, and 2 out of 10 are "underwhelmed".

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 23, 2010, 09:06:55 PM »
The wrif in detroit has been blazing it out all day and on Thursday every hour as soon as BTL starts playing be the first caller and win tix for the fillmore,
   hawk gotta run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wickedpilot

• Co-Pilot
  • STP is kewl.
    • View Profile
    • www.stonetemplecopilots.com
« Reply #772 on: March 23, 2010, 09:19:56 PM »
I was in the Popeye's Chicken on Hollywood Boulevard when I heard this song last night.  I felt really good because I was singing the words during the chorus and a group of people asked me who it was.  They seemed to really like it.  Just sayin.
"Let's all fake happiness, we'll put on a good show."
"They hold for ransom all the watered down truth's that splintered your-faith."

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 23, 2010, 09:28:12 PM »
I think most of the negativity is from people who don't like STP in the first place; they are still the punching bag of snobby music fans.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 23, 2010, 10:57:43 PM »
Not everyone can like a song.  And BTL is a  better tune than DOTW,  it shouldnt have been the 1st single off of SHangri anyways and probably  not a single at all.

Volant9353

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 23, 2010, 11:10:31 PM »
DOTW was a bad choice for the 1st single. STP's formula has always been a loud attention grabing rocker to let eveybody know STP is back and then their second single is  what most would consider their best radio friendly song on the album. They strayed away from that formula on SLDD. It seems they went back to that formula with STP, BTL is def a loud statement that STP is back.
“I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring.” - David Bowie

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 23, 2010, 11:56:42 PM »
I agree with those who think it won't be a huge hit.

I think it's a good tune that will hang around for a little bit on the radio, but like the SLDD singles, they will vanish and never get played again. Radio stations around me ONLY play Core and Purple tracks. I can't tell you the last time I heard Down on the radio and I never heard Days of the Week. I freaked out when I heard Trippin' the other day.

But there was a good point about the state of music back in 2001 compared to today. Back then it was all boy bands, nu metal, rap, and some other unimportant music. Today, music is hurting. Maybe they will have a better chance this time around. I doubt it, but we'll see.
adhesive love

jermthefan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 24, 2010, 12:06:56 AM »
I LOVED Days of The Week. I thought it was a great choice for a single. The video is pretty good as well, so I'm  not sure why the song gets no love around here. I agree there are other songs off of SLDD that would have been great choices, but not so sure any of them would have been head and shoulders above DOTW. I love the whole album, so all of the songs rock to me.

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 24, 2010, 12:07:41 AM »
I don't I'm right by any means, but I for some reason thought the chorus was this:

I like it when we talk about love
I like it when we talk about love
You always wore my favorite shirt
Even when we used to take drugs

haha

Also, in the first and final verses, I thought this:

You rock the magic plane
With no abbreviation
Greed, war, you sell what you bought
And there ain't no magic pen
To get back what you lost
adhesive love

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 24, 2010, 12:21:26 AM »
One of my friends who likes/respects all the 90s rock I listen to but certainly doesnt LOVE it, really, really enjoyed BTL when I played it for him last night. The "even when we used to take" line was immediately stuck in his head lol
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007