October 03, 2024, 11:22:21 PM

Author Topic: Between the Lines  (Read 126101 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Between the Lines
« Reply #720 on: March 22, 2010, 03:31:47 AM »
Quote from: "CMCracker"
I am trying to get the lyrics.. i think it's this..

Lovein the sky's
read between the lines
you rock the magic plane
with no abbreviation
3-4 you sell what you bought
but there aint no magic pen to get back what you lost

i like it when we talk about love
you always were my favorite drug
even when we used to take drugs

even when we used to take

penguins dont fly
crocidile sunday smile
really like to fish but dont like superficial people
shoe-store heard it all before
from pearly whites to pearly gates
what do we have to argue about

you always were my favorite drug
even when we used to take drugs

even when we used to take(4)

leave me all alone before
(get out the way)
never did what she was told
(get out the way)
seems to play at time of war
(get out the way)
?less is big and listens more?

repeat 1st vs and chorus

lovely disguise not lovin the skies
Grab the hate and drown it out...

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 22, 2010, 04:11:26 AM »
OMG LOL yes!! I am such an idiot
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 22, 2010, 04:47:41 AM »
anybody heard anything? director?

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 22, 2010, 04:53:41 AM »
I'll put in a vote for Kevin Kerslake.I believe he did the Missing Cleveland video, Interstate Love Song, Vasoline and Days of The Week. I wouldn't be surprised if he did Read Between The Lines as well.

O0

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 22, 2010, 05:08:20 AM »
I'm still having trouble converting a wav file to mp3 for RTL only cause my comp is old. Still trying to find easy ways to do it.  :-

O0

Cotton

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 22, 2010, 05:46:27 AM »
Ahh.. this new song rocks big time. I remember the bummer "Days of the Week" was, but this is totally different, I want an album with this kind of quality.
Sebastián

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 22, 2010, 06:07:14 AM »
i never could figure out why everyone is always so down on days of the week. to me, that song sounds like classic stp. the structure of the song is fantastic. and it is just as "hard" as between the lines. it's catchier and has a better guitar riff.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 22, 2010, 06:56:42 AM »
I have the MP3 but its has the dj cutting in the end, and isnt that stream better quality than whats out there now??

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 22, 2010, 07:25:44 AM »
Quote from: "UnclePeppi"
i never could figure out why everyone is always so down on days of the week. to me, that song sounds like classic stp. the structure of the song is fantastic. and it is just as "hard" as between the lines. it's catchier and has a better guitar riff.

I think the problem was that it kind of lacked the energy that they seem to have in their first singles.  "Sex Type Thing", "Vasoline", "Big Bang Baby", "Down", "Days of the Week", "Between the Lines".  I think DOTW stands out not only as the weakest song in the group, but also the least representative of the album (I'll just assume about the forthcoming STP), as well as the least energy, attitude, and edge.

That being said, what we forget, as patrons of this site, is that fans like us will buy the record "sight unseen" even if we didn't hear a single.  Hell, if any of us here hate BTL, we'll still buy the record.  Singles are not for us.  They are to convince everyone else who is not going to automatically buy the record.

Whether we like BTL or not, reception seems to be great, especially at radio.  That was not true about DOTW.

As far as BTL goes, I like the song more each listen.  The clip and my 1st full spin I was unsure...by the 2nd spin, I was hooked.  When I heard Dean's solo it made me think that he heard Scott say Slash was the best guitarist he'd played with and Dean decided to speak with his playing.

The intro/riff reminds me of AoA's "Goodbye", but the vocal in the verse is wwwaaaaaaaayyyyyy better (I really like Goodby's chorus).  The verse is infectious, and while the chorus is not immediately catchy, it does stick with you.  It is not where I would expect the vocal to go, but Scott is brilliant at that.  Sometimes he misses (SBQM), but most of the time it pays of big time.

I finally got to hear some of the (bad) youtube vids of other songs.  I am VERY excited for this record.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 22, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »
Quote from: "tumbleintherough"
i thought brendan did a great job on all the albums with the boys but of course id love stp to produce their own albums so they can get the exact sounds they want and really take it to a whole nother level

The thing about Brendan O'Brien is that he becomes almost like a band member when he produces, he pushes the band to exceed themselves and gives them lots of ideas. He's also a lot more experienced at producing than anyone in STP, so those exact sounds the band want, he's the guy to show them how to do it.

Although this track is exceptionally good for a self production job, who's to say with Brendan behind the wheel it wouldn't have been even better.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 22, 2010, 12:58:02 PM »
Not sure if this has been discussed already but has anyone put any thought forward on what this song is about?

At least from the chorus it'd seem like scoot's talking about his current relationship with Mary. I think he's saying how he enjoys how they still keep in touch as the parents of their children and talk about things like love even tho they're not necessarily in love with each other anymore, and that no matter what Mary was always his biggest addiction, even when they used to do drugs together.

The verses on the other hand i got no clue...except it sounds like scott's famous fishing trip with rob made him take an interest in fishing..."really like to fish but dont like superficial people" - also defnitely my favorite line of the song
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

ArnoldLayne

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 22, 2010, 02:09:55 PM »
Quote from: "lovemachine97"
Quote from: "UnclePeppi"

I think the problem was that it kind of lacked the energy that they seem to have in their first singles.  "Sex Type Thing", "Vasoline", "Big Bang Baby", "Down", "Days of the Week", "Between the Lines".  I think DOTW stands out not only as the weakest song in the group, but also the least representative of the album (I'll just assume about the forthcoming STP), as well as the least energy, attitude, and edge.

IMHO "Days of the week" was just boring (as a first single), for me it lacks passion & edge...Or maybe I was just so blown away by "Down". Its a stand-out track. The riff in the beginning is killer.
Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
Fugazi - 2000-10-10
Stone Temple Pilots - 2001-08-21
The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 22, 2010, 02:54:16 PM »
Days of the Week is my least favourite STP song of all. I don't dislike it, in fact I think it is pretty clever technically, but I agree that it seems to have no passion.

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 22, 2010, 02:54:17 PM »
This morning Matt Pinfield on WRXP played the single every hour on the hour during his Morning show  ;D
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

LaLaGrunge

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • And So I Know
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 22, 2010, 03:24:32 PM »
This morning Matt Pinfield on WRXP played the single every hour on the hour during his Morning show ;D

Nice! I wish I was back in Jersey to hear Matt's show. WRXP is a great station. Did he happen to say anything about the song?
Alter Bridge: 10/20/07
Live: 3/15/08
STP: 5/18/08, 5/31/08/Scott Weiland: 1/24/09
Metallica: 1/17/09
The Smithereens: 1/14/14/Sugar Ray-Better Than Ezra-Eve 6: 8/21/15