October 04, 2024, 01:24:42 AM

Author Topic: Between the Lines  (Read 126110 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: Between the Lines
« Reply #690 on: March 21, 2010, 07:02:10 AM »
I've listened to this an unhealthy amount of times.  I did listen to some Purple and Tiny Music today though to mix it up.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 21, 2010, 07:59:08 AM »
suppose for a moment that the first stp single was "you can't drive me away" from the unreleased tracks (but that we had never known it existed before). how do you think people would have responded? what about samba nova?

both amazing songs that i think are quintessential stp.

therealcaptain40

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 21, 2010, 08:21:57 AM »
It reminded me of Nirvana's Stay Away as well. I really don't hear the BBB similarity much.  If anything it sounds like a VR song or something that could've been off of No.4.  It's a cool song, but I really don't see it as being a hit. Sorry STP.

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 21, 2010, 08:30:01 AM »
Quote from: "Five Star Edge"
Is it just me or does Dean play a bit of opening line from "All in the Suit.." around the 47 & 56 second marks?  Maybe I've just been listening to the song too much :)

LOL Yes! I'm not the only one who heard this as well!! Thank you! My ears opened up and I thought..hey,sounds like All In The Suit That You Wear!!

O0

TLee05

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 21, 2010, 08:35:08 AM »
Quote from: "UnclePeppi"
suppose for a moment that the first stp single was "you can't drive me away" from the unreleased tracks (but that we had never known it existed before). how do you think people would have responded? what about samba nova?

both amazing songs that i think are quintessential stp.

I'm still somewhat bummed that You Can't Drive Me Away hasn't really seen the light of day yet.  I'm guessing it's been put on the shelf until a moment of inspiration strikes and the finishing touches are applied.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #695 on: March 21, 2010, 10:28:47 AM »
In the last day KROQ here in LA has played Between The Lines 8 times and other STP songs 5 times.  This will definitely hit number 1.  If Alice In Chains could have a single WITHOUT their original singer hit number 1, I'm sure STP with the full lineup can do it with ease.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

ArnoldLayne

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 21, 2010, 10:30:29 AM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
In the last day KROQ here in LA has played Between The Lines 8 times and other STP songs 5 times.  This will definitely hit number 1.  If Alice In Chains could have a single WITHOUT their original singer hit number 1, I'm sure STP with the full lineup can do it with ease.

Yep, they deserve it.
Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
Fugazi - 2000-10-10
Stone Temple Pilots - 2001-08-21
The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24

ArnoldLayne

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 21, 2010, 12:27:35 PM »
Interstate Love Song:

"Waiting on a Sunday afternoon
for what I read between the lines,
your lies..."
Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
Fugazi - 2000-10-10
Stone Temple Pilots - 2001-08-21
The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 21, 2010, 02:09:25 PM »
Quote from: "STPGurl"
I'm sure Cori will think he says the opposite of whatever I think. lol
I <3 you but you are wrong about crackerman LOL

My fav line is I love to fish but I don't like superficial people..
or
pearly whites pearly gates what do we have to argue 'bout
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

musica

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 21, 2010, 02:16:57 PM »
Quote from: "Jeremy"
Quote from: "Garrett"
I guess it's similar to BBB in that the bridge is a Nirvana homage (seriously, listen to Stay Away) just like BBB's chorus is a Rolling Stones homage (Jumpin' Jack Flash)

Not trying to be a dick but you can call it "homage" all you want, but really there's no overlooking the fact they ripped the song off for Big Bang Baby.

~Jeremy~

That's what makes it a homage.  It would only be "ripping off" another song if they claimed it was original or tried to fool people.  They made it pretty obvious as a tribute to JJF, just like Scott does to various vocalists throughout his music (Bowie, Morrison, Lennon).

Garrett

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 21, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
Quote from: "musica"
I guess it's similar to BBB in that the bridge is a Nirvana homage (seriously, listen to Stay Away) just like BBB's chorus is a Rolling Stones homage (Jumpin' Jack Flash)

Not trying to be a dick but you can call it "homage" all you want, but really there's no overlooking the fact they ripped the song off for Big Bang Baby.

~Jeremy~

That's what makes it a homage.  It would only be "ripping off" another song if they claimed it was original or tried to fool people.  They made it pretty obvious as a tribute to JJF, just like Scott does to various vocalists throughout his music (Bowie, Morrison, Lennon).

Exactly... it's an homage when it's done intentionally.

Pruno315

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 21, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »

~Jeremy~

I think it depends on how you interpret BBB.  STP suffered some critical backlash early on because they were the band that wanted to be rock stars in the only era in music history when you were supposed to pretend you didn't want to be a rock star.  Whether or not it was intended to be interpreted this way, I've always understood it as a song about that idea with parts about wanting to be a rock star (spin me up, spin me out, station to station send me up and out, is this what life and love is all about, I think I think so) weighed against the expected behavior of the time (sell your soul and sign an autograph, we used to see in color now it's only black and white...'cause the world is colorblind) while questioning whether the latter is the correct way to look at rock stars (does anybody know how the story really goes...or do we all just hum along).  Using my interpretation, then the chorus is an homage because if you want to be a rock star, you would want to be like those who came before you (the Stones). Of course, the lyrics could just be jibberish.

Regarding Between the Lines, I think the Nirvana-ish part is probably coincidence that will fade the more you listen to it.  I remember first hearing Dumb Love and thinking it sounded like Godsmack's Bad Religion.  Now, it's not something that crosses my mind.

drynaski

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 21, 2010, 03:23:34 PM »
I guess it's similar to BBB in that the bridge is a Nirvana homage (seriously, listen to Stay Away)

Oh wow it's pretty much the same thing. I'd like to think it's paying homage.

"Even when we used to take [hooks from other songs, like this one from Nirvana]"

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 21, 2010, 04:42:18 PM »
Quote from: "therealcaptain40"
It reminded me of Nirvana's Stay Away as well. I really don't hear the BBB similarity much.  If anything it sounds like a VR song or something that could've been off of No.4.  It's a cool song, but I really don't see it as being a hit. Sorry STP.

Whether or not you like this song, it's almost guaranteed this song will be a hit based on the amount of airplay and buzz it's getting.  Way more than was attributed to DOTW and Hollywood Bitch.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 21, 2010, 04:57:38 PM »
Played BTL an unhealthy amount of times and been playing No. 4 on my computer also!

I have the new albumitis infection now  :D
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun