October 04, 2024, 05:35:36 AM

Author Topic: Between the Lines  (Read 126121 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: Between the Lines
« Reply #645 on: March 20, 2010, 09:23:24 AM »
Quote from: "Jeremy"
Call me crazy but I'm pretty unimpressed. Outside of Days of the Week all of their singles were really strong. Their first record in almost a decade and this is what we get? And it's the first song even? If it was just a casual song on the record it wouldn't be nearly as upsetting. The fact it's the lead off track kinda makes me doubt this record. It's just uninspired typical radio rock stuff, they could do a lot better.

Lyrics are pretty bad in some places. "Penguins don't fly/ crocodile Sunday smile/ I really love to fish but told fish are like people". Huh?

Hopefully the other stuff on the album isn't like this....

~Jeremy~
lol Scott's lyrics are always nutty, that's part of what makes him so special.  I mean come on go read the Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart lyrics and tell me if they make any sense, haha.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 20, 2010, 09:35:45 AM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Quote from: "Jeremy"
Call me crazy but I'm pretty unimpressed. Outside of Days of the Week all of their singles were really strong. Their first record in almost a decade and this is what we get? And it's the first song even? If it was just a casual song on the record it wouldn't be nearly as upsetting. The fact it's the lead off track kinda makes me doubt this record. It's just uninspired typical radio rock stuff, they could do a lot better.

Lyrics are pretty bad in some places. "Penguins don't fly/ crocodile Sunday smile/ I really love to fish but told fish are like people". Huh?

Hopefully the other stuff on the album isn't like this....

~Jeremy~
lol Scott's lyrics are always nutty, that's part of what makes him so special.  I mean come on go read the Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart lyrics and tell me if they make any sense, haha.

Seriously.... Singing about eye full towers & never trusting dirty liars. And how you should keep your bankroll lottery, eat your salad day, deathbed motorcade.

If that makes any sense, then I guess I don't comprehend the English language at all.

As for me though, I like it when we talk about love.  :-*
Bleeda blooda

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 20, 2010, 01:58:21 PM »
I really like it. I don't think it's gonna be this epic single. It's hard to understand what he's saying, which never makes it easy for people to get into. The chorus is really going to hook people though.

As for the break down of the song, I feel like it's a cross between Libertad and Army of Anyone, which makes sense if you really think about it. When I hear the end of the song, Weiland sounds a lot like She Builds Quick Machines.
adhesive love

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 20, 2010, 02:06:21 PM »
Quote from: "STPHEAD"
holy shit, the WAV file rocks....thanks for amazing find

I'll second that. Cheers justbill.  8)

Garrett

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 20, 2010, 02:41:31 PM »
yay...  hand claps!

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 20, 2010, 03:00:22 PM »
I'm not hearing all the Nirvana and other shit. When i listened for the first time, i heard a wonderful new STP power pop/rock song. It's a beautiful day here and i am gonna be blasting this song from car with the windows down ALL damn day!!! The more listens i give it...the more i love it.

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN!!!!
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

Core76

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 20, 2010, 03:47:17 PM »
Really dig the new single!!!! I would bet the house it will be atleast a top 10 single in rock if not number 1. I will say though as a long time listener of all things grunge it does remind me quite a bit of nirvana. Which is cool i mean you know its stp but i definatley hear some nirvana in the music and vocals. What little you can hear of the live video of hickory dictomy ( Believe i spelled that right lol ) it seems like that song is gonna be really cool also. From what i could tell of huckleberry crumble not sure if i will like it or not. Have to listen to the studio version of it to form a better opinion. Bagman seems pretty cool.. couldnt help but laugh at the chorus though, reminded me a little of the old batman theme from the 60's lol. Batman!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone rate your fav stp albums.. Here are mine in this order.

1. Purple
2. Core
3. Number # 4
4. Shangra
5. Tiny music

Never was a big fan of tiny music.. songs i did dig off there were big bang baby, trippin on a hole, pop love suicide, tumble in the rough art school girl was ok.

Cant wait for the new cd hope they dominate!!!!!!!!!

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 20, 2010, 04:14:58 PM »
Quote from: "justbill"
Aw, fuck it.

?

http://http://www.fmqbproductions.com/epks/2010/stp/

You earned the heaven!  :-*
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Still Remaining

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 20, 2010, 04:31:24 PM »
Love the new single, sounds great.  Almost sounds like something off of Purple, especially Dean's solo which is awesome.  Don't know if I totally agree with the Nirvana comparison, but maybe its just because Scott's voice is so different than Kurt.  

Sounds like vintage STP sound to me!

cgg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 20, 2010, 04:38:29 PM »
The bridge is definitely similar to the verse of Stay Away by Nirvana...had to be intentional IMO, but who really knows
STP 2008 - Las Vegas 6/14  Baltimore 8/10

STP 2011 - Belleville 7/22

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 20, 2010, 04:39:30 PM »
Guess this is the single artwork

Found it here http://beverlyhillstimes.blogspot.com/2 ... -back.html
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 20, 2010, 05:04:46 PM »
does anybody know why everyone but the official website seems to have heard between the lines?

drynaski

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 20, 2010, 05:21:18 PM »
While the single is great, I think it's kind of like Slither where the verses and solo are an A+ but the chorus and bridge is a B, averaging out to still a really good song. I still prefer the chorus being the highlight of the song.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 20, 2010, 05:26:08 PM »
Quote from: "drynaski"
While the single is great, I think it's kind of like Slither where the verses and solo are an A+ but the chorus and bridge is a B, averaging out to still a really good song. I still prefer the chorus being the highlight of the song.

I thought the chorus of Slither, as well as this song, are the best parts.  But it's all subjective.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 20, 2010, 05:44:23 PM »
Quote from: "Shangri"
Guess this is the single artwork

Found it here http://beverlyhillstimes.blogspot.com/2 ... -back.html

I like that better than the regular artwork.