October 04, 2024, 11:33:25 AM

Author Topic: Between the Lines  (Read 126149 times)

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Between the Lines
« Reply #555 on: March 19, 2010, 11:00:58 PM »
Anybody know the rough length of the other 3 songs performed last night?

Meatwhistle

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 19, 2010, 11:01:37 PM »
Quote from: "oldleadbelly"
Quote from: "Tinybigbangbaby"
the first  ??? is
You sell what you  bought
and there ain’t no magic pen to get back what you lost

You are right, I kept hearing the magic pen part, but couldn't quite put the whole thing together:

Lovely disguise
Read between the lines
You walk the magic plank
With no abbreviation
Free war
You sell what you bought
And there ain't no magic pen
To get back what you lost

I like it when we talk about love
I like it when you talk about love
You always were my favorite drug
Even when we used to take drugs
Even when we used to take

Penguins don't fly
Crocodile Sunday smile
Really love to fish
but don't like superficial people
Shoe store
We've heard it all before
? Pearly whites and
Pearly gates
What do we have to argue bout?

?
Get out the way
Never do what you were told
Get out the way
?
Get out the way
?
Get out the way

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #557 on: March 19, 2010, 11:01:50 PM »
I've died and gone to STP heaven.  My heart is so happy.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

sealmaster

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 19, 2010, 11:02:48 PM »
Quote from: "kshamrock20"
Is this album 35 minutes long?? Have we seen official times of songs and album length? I was hoping it would surpass the 40 minute mark.

I don't care if the album's only 20 minutes long, I haven't felt the urgent need to buy an album in a very long time. Totally hyped up for this one  ;D

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 19, 2010, 11:03:13 PM »
no, it isnt 35 minutes long, but i keep hearing all over the place that most songs are under 3 minutes, just like Between the lines. I miss the old days, i really do. I really disagree with Scott when he stated that this album is back to the "core-roots" im failing to see the relationship between BTL and naked sunday, piece of pie and wicked garden. Those are rock songs... BTL is a rock-star song with flash and flare and more drugs. I wish that after 8 years of not releasing a new song that they wouldve calmed down and written something with more essence. Of course i will get the record and stp has been / will always be my favorite group, but i feel the band that made purple and this band seem to be 2 different groups

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 19, 2010, 11:05:22 PM »
It's too early for me to go nuts over Between The Lines and say it's AMAZING and their best song ever but I do really like it. I think the transition from the verses to the chorus is a little too quick and kinda awkward sounding, but I do LOVE the guitar solo and more stripped down verse after it. It's a great first single imo and growing on me the more I listen to it
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 19, 2010, 11:06:32 PM »
STP is an artsy band and this is an extremely artsy song. This song seems like it could be track 13 on Tiny Music to me. I personally love Tiny Music and I welcome this song to the STP library with open arms.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #562 on: March 19, 2010, 11:09:21 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly90"
no, it isnt 35 minutes long, but i keep hearing all over the place that most songs are under 3 minutes, just like Between the lines. I miss the old days, i really do. I really disagree with Scott when he stated that this album is back to the "core-roots" im failing to see the relationship between BTL and naked sunday, piece of pie and wicked garden. Those are rock songs... BTL is a rock-star song with flash and flare and more drugs. I wish that after 8 years of not releasing a new song that they wouldve calmed down and written something with more essence. Of course i will get the record and stp has been / will always be my favorite group, but i feel the band that made purple and this band seem to be 2 different groups

It's because you're used to old STP... it's been almost a full decade.
Give it some time to grow on you - the boys are all much more mature, musically, now than they were before.  I think it's classic STP at their finest - from the guitar solo to the lyrics - I bet after a few listens you'll change your tune.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

drynaski

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 19, 2010, 11:10:57 PM »
Yea I'm sold... that clip we heard makes a lot more sense in context to the rest of the song. Sounds great, a lot of energy, great music, and it's catchy.

I wonder if the songs actually not about his marriage and more about making music fans just want to hear instead of trying to write more artistic music: He packs the song with "old" lyrics used in other hits... a lot of people always say they loved STP even when Scott was on drugs, which is what the chorus could be about... and the whole "tug of war" and "less is more" in the bridge all seems to add up.

Cool song, cool lyrics.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 19, 2010, 11:11:07 PM »
I wish that after 8 years of not releasing a new song that they wouldve calmed down and written something with more essence.

I hear where you're coming from - here's how I see it:

Is this the music I would have wanted to hear from STP? Hand on heart, no.

Is it groundbreaking or new? No.

Does it matter? No, because the band is clearly having fun and enjoying what they do which is refreshing in so many ways. I'll happily take whatever STP has to offer and, studiowise, they have never let us down yet imho.

Brad

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 19, 2010, 11:14:44 PM »
Quote from: "Stop That Pigeon"
I wish that after 8 years of not releasing a new song that they wouldve calmed down and written something with more essence.

Does it matter? No, because the band is clearly having fun and enjoying what they do which is refreshing in so many ways. I'll happily take whatever STP has to offer and, studiowise, they have never let us down yet imho.

Well said. Trying to keep my hopes up after this.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:16:37 PM by ben444 »

Silvergun92

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 19, 2010, 11:15:23 PM »
Quote from: "Stop That Pigeon"

Let's not forget that we haven't heard the entire album either. I'm not exactly thrilled with BTL either but I still have very High hopes for First Kiss on Mars...I think that ones gonna be my favorite of the album from the description.

S.I.N

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 19, 2010, 11:15:49 PM »
:-  Actually I'm quite unimpressed with the song. I wasn't all that excited by the chorus in the 18 second sample:

"I like it when we talk about love
I like it when you talk about love
You always were my favorite drug
Even when we used to take drugs
Even when we used to take"

As it turns out I like it much better than the verse sections:

"Lovely disguise
Read between the lines
You walk the magic plank
With no abbreviation
Free war
You sell what you bought
And there ain't no magic pen
To get back what you lost"

"Penguins don't fly
Crocodile Sunday smile
Really love to fish
but don't like superficial people
Shoe store
We've heard it all before
? Pearly whites and
Pearly gates
What do we have to argue bout?"

I suppose my favorite section of the song is the section with:

"?
Get out the way
Never do what you were told
Get out the way
?
Get out the way
?
Get out the way"

I've heard some people describe the feel of the tune similar to BBB and I'd agree it's in that vein and I wasn't BBB's biggest fan but this isn't up to par with that tune IMO.

Having said all that I'm almost 100% positive I'll dig the album and there are probably songs on the rest of the record that I'll rave over. Hope everyone enjoys the new tunes!

everylilwhore

« Reply #568 on: March 19, 2010, 11:16:18 PM »
Quote from: "kshamrock20"
STP is an artsy band and this is an extremely artsy song. This song seems like it could be track 13 on Tiny Music to me. I personally love Tiny Music and I welcome this song to the STP library with open arms.

That was how I felt.

The guitars/bass feel like they could have come from No.4 era, but this tune definitely has that trippy 'Tiny Music' sound.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 19, 2010, 11:34:18 PM »
can someone send me the mp3 of between the lines the whole song of course gay youtube goes and deletes the dam thing just now, i appreciate it thanks