September 20, 2024, 07:37:59 PM

Author Topic: Between the Lines  (Read 124506 times)

Silvergun92

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Between the Lines
« Reply #420 on: March 19, 2010, 12:57:50 AM »
Quote from: "toysintheattic"
Quote from: "MC."
Well, originally I said it was god awful, but then I saw the music video and it turned me on to it a bit more.

what music video?

This. I looked everywhere and i can't find a video.

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 19, 2010, 01:23:04 AM »
I didn't critisize the lyrics because they were about drugs, I don't have any problem with Weiland singing about drugs, I just thought the lyrics were extremely bland and corny.

I think stating that the song or lyrics are about drugs means you simply didn't interpret them correctly.

Taking an analytical approach to the lyrics in the clip allows us to see that they aren't about drugs at all. This is very much a love song.  The lyrics are about his love and devotion to his former wife and how he underestimated the enormity of his love. The drugs are simply a peripheral and secondary character in this specific composition. She is the drug and the main focus of the song not the actual drugs. The title "Between the Lines" is a pun used to illustrate this. She was his real infatuation and between the lines of coke he wasn't able to fully discern that. He had failed to see between those lines literally! In my opinion, he is proclaiming this now, and of course  he would be remiss if he were to make this song about drugs. He would merely be committing the same mistake once more. Instead, the focus has now changed to her instead of any substance. She was the actual substance he loved most.

The line “you always were my favorite drug" is stated in past tense, almost as a revelation or  realization. I think when we are able to interpret the remainder of the lyrics we will be able to see that this is a fully fledged love song in which Scott is looking back and realizing things almost regretfully, and perchance apologetically. The drugs which deluded his vision are secondary and pale in comparison to the story he is telling between the two of them. This could be wrong of course; but I believe these are the emotions Scott is evoking. Hence use of the word "love” in successive lines in order to emphasize his point. I think it is sad that people assume because it is Scott that the requisite meaning is simply drug use.

MC.

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 19, 2010, 01:34:22 AM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaah!

ht

UnclePeppi

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 19, 2010, 04:25:21 AM »
Quote from: "andrew"
Just checked my email, got one from the STP mailing list and it said:

***New Single***
Some of you may have heard a teaser clip floating around the internet, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

So there. Everybody calm down. THE SONG IS GOING TO BE AWESOME.

I got the same email. This is what it says on their official site: "On Monday, March 22nd, the new STP single "Between The Lines" will be available for your listening pleasure. You've likely already heard the :20 clip floating around the internet, but it's nothing compared to the real thing!"

Very interesting! What could that mean? Is the teaser an early version of the song? Is it not the song at all? Or is it indeed 20 real seconds of the real song and they are misleading us?

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 19, 2010, 04:28:52 AM »
Quote from: "UnclePeppi"
Just checked my email, got one from the STP mailing list and it said:

***New Single***
Some of you may have heard a teaser clip floating around the internet, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

So there. Everybody calm down. THE SONG IS GOING TO BE AWESOME.

I got the same email. This is what it says on their official site: "On Monday, March 22nd, the new STP single "Between The Lines" will be available for your listening pleasure. You've likely already heard the :20 clip floating around the internet, but it's nothing compared to the real thing!"

Very interesting! What could that mean? Is the teaser an early version of the song? Is it not the song at all? Or is it indeed 20 real seconds of the real song and they are misleading us?

It's the real thing or the management would never have contacted us to take it out because it wouldn't be officially released until Monday. I think they are just tiffed off that the clip was released when it won't be officially released until Monday.
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 19, 2010, 04:35:49 AM »
I think they basically mean that the clip is just 20 seconds of the song, and that the whole thing sounds great, and not to judge it by the clip.

It's like if they were to just release a clip of "duh nuh duh nuh duh nuh duh nuh duh nuh you'll see the look, and you'll see the lies" part of Vasoline and nothing else, people would be like "what the hell is this?"
Bleeda blooda

STPCreep

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 19, 2010, 04:49:30 AM »
I think they basically mean that the clip is just 20 seconds of the song, and that the whole thing sounds great, and not to judge it by the clip.

It's like if they were to just release a clip of "duh nuh duh nuh duh nuh duh nuh duh nuh you'll see the look, and you'll see the lies" part of Vasoline and nothing else, people would be like "what the hell is this?"

You're probably one of my favorite members of this board, haha.
Your posts are always so entertaining.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 19, 2010, 04:58:40 AM »
Quote from: "STPCreep"

You're probably one of my favorite members of this board, haha.
Your posts are always so entertaining.

Hahaha, thanks. I try.  ;D
Bleeda blooda

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 19, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »
I wonder if they will make the song available to iTunes or amazon.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 19, 2010, 01:44:05 PM »
?? Even when we used to TAAAAAKKKEEEE ??
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 19, 2010, 03:55:52 PM »
Quote from: "JugeSTP"
Well, originally I said it was god awful, but then I saw the music video and it turned me on to it a bit more.

It is god awful compared to what I was expecting from STP, it just isn't that bad compared to most other rock music today, is that better? If me saying that it's god awful based on the 18 second clip is close minded, then why aren't you telling every single person who thinks it's the god damn bee's knees that they're close minded?

Next, I don't measure all vocalists by "Richard Patrick" standards, I don't think he's the greatest vocalist of all time, nor have I ever said that. I do agree however that he has been known for some pretty rediculous lyrics, but you do know that FILTER did make albums before Anthems right? So not all of his music is bashing W. George Bush. I don't see any reason for you to bring him up in this conversation, other then you being a a one track mind Scott fanboy who's sad that i'm not creaming over this clip.

I didn't critisize the lyrics because they were about drugs, I don't have any problem with Weiland singing about drugs, I just thought the lyrics were extremely bland and corny.

Get over yourself pal, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and just because I have one doesn't mean that it has to involve Richard Patrick, believe it or not.

(And no, I didn't care for Anthems too much, by the way)

Your act is tired and played out. You've got a nasty habit of bashing Weiland on this forum. It's all you've done the last 3-4 years on here. It's hard for me to take anything you say seriously when all you do is come on here and bash Weiland and praise Richard Patrick. If you're telling me that's not the case, then fine, but based on your past history I think the "that was god awful" comment was nothing more than your usual ploy to get a rise out of stp fans on the forum and run through your ridiculous Richard Patrick is God diatribe. Granted, I'm not better than you because I took your bait... in fact I might be the biggest loser in all this. I won't bring Richard Patrick up again, but we'll see if you prove me wrong. Personally I think you're a one trick pony and you can't teach an old dog new tricks. We'll see as time goes on if you really are a reasonable rock fan, or if you're just a punk trying to get STP fans' blood to boil on a forum. I know what category a lot of people on this forum think you fall under, but I'm open to the possibility that you could prove me wrong.

Ok, I'm done on that. Sorry to go there, I should have bit my tongue. Can't wait till Monday to hear the full song

Wingless Bird

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 19, 2010, 03:57:51 PM »
The audio is not the best but... at least it is something
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sckOd4vSiBY

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 19, 2010, 03:58:53 PM »
2 cents:
I think that MC. is Dick Patrick and he's pissed because of this recent quote by Dean:

A few of my contributions to Stone Temple Pilots, I'd actually brought to the table for Army of Anyone and Richard [Patrick] really couldn't get his head around them. I said, "Well, I know somebody who could take a bite out of this!" [Laughs] It worked out.

;D
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

cagedtiger1640

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 19, 2010, 04:00:38 PM »
Can't we all just get along. Ya he is probably jumping the gun judging the song so fast and defenitley was going overboard calling it awful lol, but hey he's entitled to his own opinion.   And why bash Filter?  What did Richard Patrick do to you besides make a solid album with the Deleo Bros?  I understand you want to defend your mighty STP, but come on can't we all just grow up a little bit.  Personal attacks are not necissary at all.  What I find hilarious is that if the band knew how some of their fans acted they would be highly dissapointed.  I mean have you ever met the Deleo bros they are the nicest most cordial people you would ever meet.  Maybe we as fans should follow suit.  Everyone doesn't have the same opinion as everyone else and that fine.  Can't we just express these opinions in a mature manner.  I know this will never happen I'm jsut sayiing it would be nice.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 19, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »
Quote from: "Tyrant"
2 cents:
I think that MC. is Dick Patrick and he's pissed because of this recent quote by Dean:

A few of my contributions to Stone Temple Pilots, I'd actually brought to the table for Army of Anyone and Richard [Patrick] really couldn't get his head around them. I said, "Well, I know somebody who could take a bite out of this!" [Laughs] It worked out.

;D

I saw that! A really interesting quote actually, because that tells you that working with both singers which one he thinks is more capable. I wonder if the music for in between the lines is the song he's talking about?