September 19, 2024, 06:46:32 PM

Author Topic: 2010-05-22 - Washington, DC - RFK Stadium  (Read 12890 times)

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
Re: 2010-05-22 - Washington, DC - RFK Stadium
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
Yeah I saw that and was like "oh shit!" but they saved it perfectly, no one in the crowd even seemed to notice.

So on to my review: today was absolutely nuts. Chili Cookoff's crowd was wild last year, and they definitely did not disappoint in that department this year lol. I got a cheesesteak sub and downed a big bottle of water to start off the day and just stayed in the crowd for 7 hours straight. Started off with Anberlin, who were boring, then Switchfoot, who weren't bad. Better than I thought they'd be actually. Then as I got practically as far up front as possible, Cage The Elephant came on and were nuts. The crowd was soo wild, so much crowdsurfing and moshing. I got nailed in the head by people flying above me more than enough times. So anyway, Cage was great, I think we'll be hearing from them for awhile, but on to the good stuff: I had seen AIC once before (this past March, in a big theatre) so seeing them up close in a crazy crowd was a totally different experience, but the one I wanted. Every single song just kicked ass and I'm pretty sure my hearing is permanently damaged :D I also got one of Jerry Cantrell's picks he threw into the crowd which was awesome!! AIC was just so solid, no complaints whatsoever. Little side note: It started raining when they played "Rain When I Die" haha. Jerry also mentioned he was excited to see STP play after them, which was really cool to hear.

So on to STP: they were about 15 minutes late to the stage, but it wasn't a big deal. I could immediately tell Scott had been drinking by the way he said "welcommeee ladies and gentlemen" before they started Vasoline but he was by no means "too" drunk to perform. He was so into the performance and was VERY talkative. Easily the most talkative I have ever seen Scott, even my friends commented on how friendly he was. All of the STP classics were done just as they always are, and it was so cool to hear BTL, Hickory (which the crowd seemed to really like), and Huckleberry live. Not sure why they didn't do Bagman, but I would've been pissed if they had cut out Hickory or Huckleberry instead. Tumble In The Rough was also awesome, Scott mentioned they had only done it twice in the last ten years. Lounge Fly was a great surprise too, I wasn't really expecting any non-hits and they totally nailed it. It had gotten dark by that point too so the whole psychedelic lighting thing fit perfectly.

All in all, it was just a fucking awesome day. STP was really, really into it and the crowd loved them. I had been waiting for this day for months and it definitely did not disappoint in any way.

oh a couple other random side notes: Scott also mentioned AIC and said they went "way back" and at one point he wished he was in the crowd with us "watching one of his favorite bands" and then mentioned The Beatles and Rolling Stones. And for what it's worth, i already mentioned I was super close but I was pretty much right in between Scott and Dean in the crowd. I'm sure they saw me screaming my heart out to every word  ;D

Isn't it awesome when the crowd is so nuts?! You have to fight for your place, your life, your cell phone/camera, your head ('cause some kick may come from people surfing  :D ) and still keeping your hands up screaming the lyrics. And you feel no pain!...aah good times... ;D

Great to hear it was a good show and you had a blast!
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2010, 07:22:41 PM »
Haha hell yeah I love being part of wild crowds! Definitely adds something to the experience if you're into that sort of thing.

And to the people "tired of people bashing Scott" and stuff, please don't put me in that category, cuz I never "bash" Scott. I love Scott and have said multiple times on this board that I will always have his back and consider myself to be a very patient, loyal fan of his. If you were referring to what I said about him being drunk and were offended by it, that's your problem. I wasn't the least bit upset or angry with Scott for appearing somewhat tipsy last night, I was just pointing it out. It didn't hinder his performance at all...he (and the rest of the band) were all on fire. So if by pointing out that I noticed he was tipsy is being too critical, then you all are just too sensitive.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2010, 09:00:04 PM »
Thank you all for the reviews.   They are always fun to read.   I think Scott always sounds like he is on something, even when he is not lol, but I"m sure he could have still had a few drinks.  I think that is to be expected at this point.   And that is not really a bad thing either, especially if it keeps him from doing other stuff and doesn't totally fuck up the performance.   And no biggie if he missed a lyric to a song he hasn't sang live for a long-ass time.

SonofOdin

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2010, 01:05:23 AM »
wow he really botched titr. he started singing the second verse for the first and then switched it up again. he knew he did to...it then seemed like he said screw it and totally screwed up the rest of the song. no biggie to me but it is one of their easiest songs to remember lyrically. i believe he botched it at the house of blues show they did nearly 10 years ago also...just not as bad as this time.

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2010, 01:10:42 AM »
I've had bruises being squished against the barriers at some other concerts!!

Counbt yourself lucky that you've not be squished  ;D
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

jjc196

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2010, 01:13:48 AM »
MAN YOU GUYS ARE SO LUCKY!!!! I WAS SUPPOSE TO GO TO THE CONCERT TODAY (MAY 23 AT CAMDEN) BUT I FORGOT MY TICKETS!! IT WAS A 5 HOUR DRIVE THEIR TOO! :(

robschmidt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2010, 02:22:05 AM »
Quote from: "jjc196"
MAN YOU GUYS ARE SO LUCKY!!!! I WAS SUPPOSE TO GO TO THE CONCERT TODAY (MAY 23 AT CAMDEN) BUT I FORGOT MY TICKETS!! IT WAS A 5 HOUR DRIVE THEIR TOO! :(

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. That's the worst possible thing for any fan. How come you didn't scalp there?
--Rob--

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2010, 03:31:28 AM »

This is the reason why I always demand my mum around when I have to go to a concert. Silly, I know, but she will never forget the tickets. And she saved me twice (STP included  :D )

clyde frog

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2010, 07:51:09 AM »
Not trying to sound like a smart ass, but I thought Scott's inebriation was a little amusing, paritcularly at the beginning of the show when he almost took a dive, recovered himself, and then did a couple of elaborate body spins to try to play it off.

With that out of the way, Scott was way more alive,talkative, and engaged with the crowd then the last time I saw them, and it looked like he was actually enjoying the gig, which I was very grateful to see. Kinda disapointed that he didnt come out and sing with Alice in Chains though, which I REALLY wanted to see.

One buzzkill about General Admission shows though are the douche bags who think they they have dibs on standing room. One guy even tried to keep me from going around him when I was trying to get up to the front of the stage.  If there is no seat number on the ticket, then you have no grounds for bitching about people getting in front of you. Then again when I remember those people, they were old farts, so there ya go  ::)  :P
some dads are not your dad

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2010, 08:47:55 AM »
Quote from: "clyde frog"
One guy even tried to keep me from going around him when I was trying to get up to the front of the stage.  If there is no seat number on the ticket, then you have no grounds for bitching about people getting in front of you. Then again when I remember those people, they were old farts, so there ya go  ::)  :P

Of course they do, they were probably waiting for hours to get a good spot to see the band and weren't going to give it up for someone trying to push through to the front of the stage close to showtime. Since when did general admission become something else than first-come-first-serve? Did I miss anything?

clyde frog

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2010, 09:50:05 AM »
Of course they do, they were probably waiting for hours to get a good spot to see the band and weren't going to give it up for someone trying to push through to the front of the stage close to showtime. Since when did general admission become something else than first-come-first-serve? Did I miss anything?

The whole point of general admission is no desginated seats, therefore, no designated occupation of any kind. No one said anyone had to wait for hours to hold a spot. They could have just as easily moved to the front of the stage like myself and many others. Its a rock show, not a restaurant with reservations, thats what the VIP section is for.
some dads are not your dad

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »
The whole point of general admission is no desginated seats, therefore, no designated occupation of any kind. No one said anyone had to wait for hours to hold a spot. They could have just as easily moved to the front of the stage like myself and many others. Its a rock show, not a restaurant with reservations, thats what the VIP section is for.

Mental note to self: "General admission ticket = free pass for rude and selfish behavior."

STP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2010, 02:07:10 PM »
Quote from: "Shangri"

This is the reason why I always demand my mum around when I have to go to a concert. Silly, I know, but she will never forget the tickets. And she saved me twice (STP included  :D )

It´s really impressive and ridiculous ATM. I forgot the tickets when I was in Argentina as well.

Maybe, it happens ´cause STP tickets are so important for us and we keep them safe in a sort of a secret place. Then, when you have to leave and you´re so excited you forget them. ;D
Whatever they say I am, that's what I'm not!

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2010, 02:47:02 PM »
Quote from: "Rik"

Mental note to self: "General admission ticket = free pass for rude and selfish behavior."
amen Rik.

And Cylde, I am one of those "old farts" you refer to....who was going to festival shows when you were still playing with your G.I Joe's.
However I can still knock a snot nosed pusher like you the fuck out. In a heartbeat.
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2010, 05:52:31 PM »
Quote from: "STP"
Quote from: "Shangri"

It´s really impressive and ridiculous ATM. I forgot the tickets when I was in Argentina as well.

Maybe, it happens ´cause STP tickets are so important for us and we keep them safe in a sort of a secret place. Then, when you have to leave and you´re so excited you forget them. ;D

haha! Totally! even now you'd laugh how secretly saved is the ticket today :D